Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

booboo: Bless you for all you are doing and sharing. It is an incredible act of selflessness and love for us.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Chicagoan- She is clear sometimes then confused and hallucinating sometimes.

Today was a good visit for most of it. Then she developed a headache, stated she was dizzy, and then got confused. I think it has metastasized to the brain--- we have not done an MRI, but she had been having headaches at home before we knew of the BC. And I have noticed a change in her voice the last couple of months, like her tongue is thick. And she was tilting her head to the side at home-- she said it was a stiff neck. She is HER2 positive and I read that 30-50% of HER2 positive will metastasize to the brain.

Rosie- Eating and sleeping are hard right now. My nerves are frayed. I mourn my sister. And I think of myself and my future, since she has MBC also.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

Candy~thinking of you ! And your sister

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209

Hugs, Candy.

• micmel

Candy~ hugs for both sister and you

BooBoo~ hugs and constant thoughts your way.
    karen, Mae, Goldens ,kitty,Sondra,KBL, Mara, SeeQ,Chicagoan, jensgotthis,tryshylia, Rosie,Moth, Sunshine, hello to all you my friends. I’ll be back with more I’m sure Bev Jen, I write, runor , hope, pots, gp, stillivin, sandibeaches.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Hello everyone, I've been reading along with you all, it's been a tough weekend, no temperature but just can't stay awake and just feel very weak. Thanks Laurie for everything and Candy, my thoughts are constantly with you and your sister. I'm pleased to hear that life is starting to get back to some sort of normality for some of you. We've had a big delta outbreak down here and my son and his family are on 14 quarantine because there was a case at my grand daughters school, I hope they all stay safe.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Candy, I’m so sorry and you are definitely right to suspect brain mets. While I have a history of migraines, as soon as I told my MO I had a headache for 3 days, a brain MRI was scheduled for the following day. It actually was a migraine but it found my brain mets super early before they could cause symptoms.

• micmel

I fell asleep and I don't know what wakes me up! I can never sleep through the night. I'm like an infant.

Candy~ thinking of how strong you are ! I'm proud to know you …Remember I'm just a call away.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Booboo Laurie prayers for you and thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Candy you are in my prayers. So much you are going through all at once.

Waving hello to all. Reading along not always posting but with you all for scans and this bumpy road we’re on.

Take care

Tany

• micmel

Good to see you Tanya. Always. Hope you’re well. I have heard the news that the delta variant is there and they are offering a third shot of vaccine to help. I hope you’re still staying away from peeps. Stay safe in this crazy. It seems to be getting worse even more than before. I wonder if they’ll lock down again. ?

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

Thank you for the shoutout, Mel. I’m with you lately on not sleeping through the night. I can get to sleep beautifully, but staying asleep is almost nonexistent. I do take Zquill sparingly. Took it last night, and although I was up three times to run to the bathroom, it lets me fall right back to sleep. It’s the only thing that works. I don’t stress when I’m awake for two hours because I’m not working. If I was working, I would be so stressed.

Candy, I’m thinking of you so much. I can’t even imagine what you’re going through. Hugs.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Candy - continued prayers for you and your sister. Please try and keep up some nourishment even though your appetite has gone south.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Okay, here goes the first post of what has transpired so far with Hospice:

• Their goal is for my passing to be calm, peaceful, and without drama
    • They will provide pain or other meds (e.g., to help me sleep) that I need to ensure I am feeling my best now.
    • They will eventually order a hospital bed delivered to my house (it can be raised and lowered to assist hospice nurse and also to keep me comfortable).
    • I have already received oxygen, a wheelchair for my car, and a shower seat.
    • A nurse will start out by coming every other week to take my vitals, answer questions, updates meds (if necessary), and monitor where I am in the dying process. (As time progresses, they will evaluate when to have the hospital bed delivered, as well as to request more nursing help as needed.)
    • I explained I might fly to TX to visit my sister, and they are going to arrange for me to pickup a wheelchair at a location near her house to use while I'm there. This trip is all subject to how I feel in a month when I’m scheduled to go.

I feel very well supported so far in the process, and the comfort I feel is immeasurable. My DH is also much more calm and accepting, knowing he will not be alone or in charge as I move towards the end.

So far, I am feeling pretty good. I'm eating about half of what I used to eat. This is normal, according to the hospice nurse. She said I will also start to sleep more, which is hard for me to measure since I've always been a napper!

That's it for now. I'll give an update as things start to change, but for now, I'm hanging in there.

Love to all,

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Booboo- You are so strong. A hug for you, my friend.

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783

Hugs for Booboo, Candy, and anyone else who needs one.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Candy,

I’ve been praying that our Lord will sustain you through this time with your sister. You are stronger than you know, and with Him, you will be able to accomplish what needs to be done for her. It will certainly not be easy, but that’s why we have each other. Please reach out whenever you need us. No one truly understands better than we do because we’re walking this path along with you.

Hugs

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

hugs to candy and booboo - I'm thinking of you both

It was a quiet post chemo weekend. I was dragging myself around, did my walks with Olve on Sat & Sunday but needed naps and otherwise I mostly sat watching netflix. I hope the energy is coming back today cause I have a big to do list. Not sure if I'll make it to the zoom today...

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Candy, booboo and moth (and all the rest), I appreciate the updates. Life just feels hard right now, and I'm so sorry for all the burdens we are carrying.

Love and hugs,

Carol

• micmel

hello ladies~. You’re all terrific ladies and I adore you. BooBoo~ I sleep all the time. Makes me wonder if it’s progression. I could sleep all day long. This ibrance kicks my ass. Even still 100 mgs. You’re an amazing woman to take the time to even care about us Laurie. We Love you

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Laurie, glad to hear that everything you will need for hospice and needs are coming together well, also glad you are feeling good.

Candy, still thinking of you and your sister and as Mae said, those symptoms definitely sound like brain mets. I am glad she is already in hospice and will keep thinking of you both as well.

• illimae

Hugs booboo and candy

Hi everyone!

Tanya, nice to see you on in the zoom call!

Moth, see you next week

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Candy and BooBoo - my heart breaks for both of you. I pray for your strength and comfort in all of this. I stepped away for a bit and I am so sorry to hear about this even though I know I am late in expressing it.

Runor- I am so sorry,about the fires that sounds horrible. Today is the first day we've had in weeks with blue skies. I can't believe what a difference it makes. We are surrounded here too, though not as close. I am ready for some rain. We've had some thunder and lightening storms with very little rain and that makes the situation more tense.

Not much else to tell. Southern Oregon is having a huge surge of Delta. My hospital looks like something out of the movie Contagion and the national guard are coming in next week. They are non-clinical so I'm not exactly sure what their roll will be. We have petitioned the state for a field hospital. My whole unit is Covid. I am wearing thin and find myself not sleeping and grinding my teeth when I do sleep. I'm trying not to get short with people but I feel like my nerves are fried. My family was able to do a quick trip to the coast and I needed that. It's healing to just sit and watch the ocean and breathe cooler, non-smoky air. You can see the signs of Covid and the pandemic in several closed shops and diners but I was all about watching the ocean. I want to go back and just sit on the beach and listen to the waves.

Having some pain again in my right hip (which has the rod). I'm also having pain mid quad on that side. Interestingly enough I tape it up with duct tape to get through work and that helps. I have a message into the orthopedic oncologist in Portland to see what he thinks. I have questions for my new MO I meet on the 24th. I've been getting headaches a lot (could be stress) and having trouble with memory (which could be fatigue). I just don't retain information like I used to and that's frustrating and a little scary. Maybe that's just chemobrain, maybe not. I don't know. LIfe got really out of balance for me and I am working on finding it again and finding joy in things like blue smokeless skies and picking tomatoes. I overdid it this morning working in the yard and so now I'm in my chair like a bag of rocks not wanting to move for the rest of the day. I will rest for a bit and then get going again.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

There is so much serious stuff going on here (and other boards) that I almost hate to mention it, but I'm going in for parathyroid surgery tomorrow morning, so if you could think good thoughts for me, I'd appreciate it.

My husband had to drive through Fred most of the day to get here. He takes such good care of me.

Prayers for easier days for those who are struggling.

• illimae

Seeq, I’ll be in your pocket for surgery with chocolate for all :)

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

SeeQ, I'm in your pocket. Will be thinking of you.

Booboo, thank you for what you've listed. I will copy and paste so I have it.

Candy, hugs.

• micmel

pocket duty for all who need it for sure.

I drove to the airport Philly today all by myself to pick up DH. Glad didn't get too much storms. Humid and yuck. Got him safely and returned home in about four hours, total waiting and etc... Sometimes I hate the highway. I used to. Love to drive. Maybe it's time we get a new car. Maybe that would help traffic was horrific. But at least I got out of the house and did something ladies. For my DH. Who deserves everything. He's a doll baby.

Goodnight to all.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

SeeQ, in your pocket for your parathyroid surgery! I’d be very interested in any details you want share by pm or on a thread here.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698

Me, too, SeeQ. I've been having some issues and am looking at Norman Parathyroid institute. Is that where you're going?

I'll be peeking out of your pocket to watch the surgery.

Good luck.

Trish

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

SeeQ, sending you good wishes for tomorrow!

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650

Micmel, sleep is the elixir of the angels. I truly believe this though I don’t believe in a single Holy Spirit, I believe in you as an angel who watches over us, yet needs those moments for herself.