Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mel,

Was your grandmother Italian? Our Italian side always had someone using that expression. Funny.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

very Italian!!!!!!! Very!!!! Could speak hardly any English. Funny you knew that.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Candy, I'm so sorry to read about your new developments with your sister and your long wait to have consults for yourself. That is a lot to manage for anyone. My thoughts are with you and I hope you're doing ok.

• micmel

Insomnia strikes again. The mind is a funny thing, sometimes it just won't shut off. It is a reel like a movie and I am the pitiful leading lady who at the end doesn't fare too welll. Then you can't shut off the channel and you're left starring at the walls.
    Today DH painted dss room today a lovely grey. I love it. Slowly we are doing all the rooms. It looks so nice with a crisp fresh new color. He did a great job. As always. I love walking by it. It's the. Little things that have to make us happy. The little things. Hope everyone is enjoying your weekend

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Hi all. Checking in. I will not have a "pocket duty" list.

My sister is now on Hospice. The doctor said 2 weeks - a month. Know one knows, of course. But that is the prognosis. I am on auto-pilot. I will check in when I can.

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209

I’m so sorry, Candy. Prayers to you and your sister.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341

Candy,

My thoughts are with you.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Candy - sending prayers of peace for you and your sister.

• micmel

Candy~ I am in your pocket. It’s your turn for all the support you need. I’m only a phone call away.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,044

Candy,

How awful. Prayers for you and your sister.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Oh Candy, I'm so sorry, my thoughts are with you and your sister

• dutchiris
    dutchiris Member Posts: 783

I'm so sorry, Candy. I hope they keep her comfortable and can help lighten your load some.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

Candy, I’m so sorry. I was thinking about you this morning. Thank you for checking in. I’m in your pocket. Hugs.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Candy sorry to hear the prognosis. You must’ve worked so hard to get her all the services and care. You are a blessing to her.

Tany

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Candy,

I, too, am so sad that you are going through this awful time. It’s enough for you to get the diagnosis, but then to have your sister going through it too…and at her advanced stage, well, that is a big smack in the head. I am praying for strength, patience, and for the energy you need as you tackle the days ahead. Take care of yourself too!

Hugs from FL,

Laurie

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Candy, I can totally empathize with what you are going through, two of you with cancer at the same time and your sister now on hospice. I hope she is kept comfortable and you are able to have some quality time with her. Hugs and pocket duty coming from me.

• mara51506

Well, I am sort of happy for a change, have to go laptop shopping. The one working one I have keeps turning off or getting the blue screen of death. It is needed for doing surveys so asked DB to take me computer shopping today. If I am able to revive the old one, I will use it as a mobile hotspot in the apartment. Taking the day off of walking.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Thinking peaceful thoughts for you Candy and your sister.

Mostly relaxing and uneventful weekend here. The only thing I’ve done is reorganize my “disaster box” (earthquake box when I lived in California, Hurricane/Freeze box in Texas). Stocked up on water as Hurricanes ramp up this time of year and replaced some older items with new ones. I realize I have no canned fruits & veggies, so I’ll get those next time.

Big hello to everyone 😁.

• mara51506

I did update the computer. Got it at Best Buy at a reasonable rate and I can feel the improvement already. Just an updated Acer which was my last computer. Not planning to install a whole bunch of stuff on this one, mostly just for surveys and streaming videos that I get paid for to watch ads. I will try to fix the older one and maybe turn it into a wifi connection hub, who knows. It was nice of older DB to take me shopping for it as well which is appreciated though I would have ubered both ways if need be. Going to order in supper since I splurged on a computer to replace an older dying one.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Candy, I'm so sorry for the news on your sister. Did you say she lived with, and took care of, your dad?

• Lee64
    Lee64 Member Posts: 113

Candy, I'm so sorry for what you are dealing with. Hugs and prayers for your family.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 673

Sending prayers for peace to you and your sister Cand

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Candy, sending hugs your way.

Today was the first day in weeks that the blue of the sky has been visible. Smoke, ash and embers have been a crushing weight above our heads for so long now. We have fire on all 4 sides of us and people evacuated or on evacuation alert from many communities within 100 miles.  Yesterday Hub and I took a drive to a point where we could look across the lake and see the mountain rising on the other side, flames and plumes of smoke rising. It looked like a horror movie. The terrain is steep and difficult. We saw tired, hungry firefighting crews standing at designated areas, their heavy fire suits peeled off to the waist as they stood and gulped down sandwiches and water. Everyone tries to get on with life but there is a somber note knowing that many have lost their homes. Livestock in some cases could not be hauled out and had to be left behind. Farmers opened gates, cut their own fences and said a prayer for the lives of the animals before heading to safety themselves. We need rain so bad and did get about half a day of light drizzle. Not nearly enough.  But the rise in humidity and the cooler night time temps have slowed the fires a bit. But today the sky was blue and the stench and choke of smoke had lifted so I  threw open every door and window and let out the stuffy closed in air of weeks and blessed the sweet, fresh breeze as it poured in. As I type the smell of smoke has once again shifted our way and fine ash is drifting through the window screen and settling on the desk and keyboard. It's going to be a long August. 

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

Runor, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. I have never experienced anything like that. Stay safe.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719

Been reading along but not posting recently. News of Jaycee and Bliss hit hard, as both been very supportive and my thoughts are with them and their families. Candy, thoughts with you too. Runor that sounds just awful.

CT Scan results for me on Wed and the usual scanxiety prevails.

Bearing in mind I trust my oncology team and have been well supported so far, I also had a meeting at my request, with 4 senior staff ( including the Boss of diagnostics) re the formal complaint I raised about a radiologist sending me home without a treatment plan when I had a pleural effusion so large it presented as a total whiteout and ended up as a 5 day hospital stay and 3.5 litres drained off my lung. Luckily for me the front line staff intervened on the scan day and escalated my case above the radiologist’s head to get me the treatment I needed - I wasn’t the only one this had happened to and they had had enough. Complaints dept also did a very poor job in investigating and responding. Felt like a cover up and that patients like us don’t matter.
    However meeting went well - respectful on all sides but believe me I did not miss and neither did my very clever friend and wingwoman who came to witness/ support. The radiologist has now appropriately apologised ( scared of legal action I think) and they have a list of actions for both diagnostics and complaints to implement for which I’ve asked for evidence. We’ll see how that goes. 💪🏻

• micmel

the news of Jaycee and Bliss definitely hit hard Karen. I totally agree.

Runor~you’re also in my thoughts. As is Candy.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Thank you to all of you.

SeeQ- Yes she lived with our 95 year old father.

With the home situation, and my illness too, she is now in a nursing home on Hospice. I wanted her at home, but we just could not do it. Since she is on Hospice, the nursing home is letting family in whenever we want. We do a Covid test-- rapid test-- each day when we arrive to the Nursing Home. Even if vaccinated. And we stay in her room and not go to "common" areas. Just in the front door and in her room and then back out the door when we leave. I have been staying there most of the day. I worry about the other illnesses in a Nursing Home---C Diff, MRSA, etc--- with my counts. I took Lysol there yesterday and sprayed door handles and the chair in her room. The staff don't know I did that, haha.

Thanks again for the kind words.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Runor wow having the stench of fire and a fire looming in the distance is really scary and unsettling. Sorry you’re going through this on top of everything.

Tany

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

candy, I am so sorry about your sister's rapid disease course. I hope the hospice provides her, you & your family with all the calm gentle support that you need. This just sucks.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

I haven't read anything about Bliss - what news do you have?

nothing new with me. This week is medical stuff week. I start off nice on Tuesday with massage therapy. Then Wed, MO & labs; Thurs chemo; Fri immunotherapy. I mean it's nothing big but a pita to get out and there and it always seems to drain me more than it should, kwim? I've been feeling good, did 12.5k steps yesterday, taking advantage of the cooler weather and actual rain we had to go for longer walks and do a full session of Zumba. and I baked blueberry muffins.

I keep obsessing about symptoms. Is that cough worse? Is that pain worse? Cancer is not kind to hypervigilant anxious types like me

(hey, made a new reel if anyone wants some blackish humor. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSSNH8Ypqhw/ - sound on needed)