Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

Mara, you’re so sweet. Thank you. I love how you call it verbal diarrhea. That’s so totally me. When I have my grandson, I feel really bad. He doesn’t talk very much. He is smart as a freaking whip, but I don’t shut up enough to let him have any words. Hahaha. We are taking him in a road trip tomorrow, and I do hope I can just be quiet. Last time we took him, I was getting tired of myself. I think my husband has learned to tune it out. If it was him, I’d probably look over and say, Would you pleaseeee shut up. It’s hysterical when I sit there and think to myself, my God, I’m driving my own self crazy. Wish me luck!

I do want to go in next month and try the be-quiet thing just to see if she comes up with any good ideas. I asked her for a CT because it’s actually been a while, and she had to look and see if I was due for one. Last time I had the normal CT was in January.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Well, just getting set to go for my longest roundtrip walk yet. Wanting to do 16k/10 miles roundtrip. There will be a burger meal in the middle. I am a little nervous as i have not done this long of a walk. I am bringing two water bottles, two granola bars if needed and neckfans as well. Wearing a sun hat too along with a UV shirt. Google says it should take 1h 40 mins each way, will probably take me closer to 2 hours. Added I believe I can fly to my music I listen to. I know R Kelly is a bad guy in real life but I find that song inspiring, especially the part that says "If I can see it, then I can do it, If I just believe it, there's nothing to it." I will post afterword how it went.

• kbl

Good luck, Mara. You rock. Enjoy the yummy burger.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Mara - I’m so envious of your walking. When we moved to Ohio in 2009, I would walk our dogs 4 miles a day. When my back issues started in 2016, that dropped down to just a mile. Now I can hardly make it to our mailbox at the end of our driveway 😢. Let us know how your walk goes.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

I am scheduled for my 3rd Covid vaccine (booster) for tomorrow at a local pharmacy. I messaged my MO's nurse the other day and she said they did not have direction yet for their patients. But the news says that United States recommending 3rd dose for all by end of September. I am immunocompromised, I guess, with the Ibrance. White counts between 1.0- 2.0 all the time. And I am out and about. In the Nursing Home setting daily with my sister. So I think it is good I get it now. #1 shot was in January and #2 in February. So 6 months out from last dose.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

Ugh, I have what looks like a spider bite on my thigh and worst, it looks very similar to a brown recluse bite, which are venomous, common in Texas and can lead to very serious skin rotting wounds. I saw or felt nothing but my anxiety is increasing, partially because I absolutely fear and hate spiders. I’ve sent a pic to my regular PCP and will try to be patient and calm.

Also, it’s my half birthday 🎉 (46 1/2)

• kbl

Happy half birthday, Mae. It’s too cute. I remember your last half birthday. I’m sorry about the possibility of a spider bite. Best to be sure. Yuck.

Candy, more hugs coming your way.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Mae - Happy 1/2 B-day. Yikes a possible nasty spider bite. I hate and fear spiders as well. I don’t care that they eat bugs. Keep us posted

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Happy half birthday, Mae! And pooey on that spider bite - that's not a good birthday present, at all!

Mara - 10 miles... I'm impressed!

Candy - I hope you're 3rd COVID shot is blessedly uneventful.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625

Mae - Do you see a “venom line” going up your thigh? Is the bite area and skin around it dying or just inflamed?

• mara51506

See Q, don't be impressed. i did not make it. Made it to the restaurant and ate, was heading home, stopping to have drinks or sit if needed but about 1/2 way home, got really really lightheaded and almost passed out in front of a bank. Was hanging onto a pole asking for help and they brought me a chair from inside. I ubered home after that. Step count was still 17666 but I will not attempt such a long distance again, two hours each way is too long for me plus I was hot. I think an hour each way like my 10k or 5.6 mile is much better distance wise.

• seeq

Mara - Well, I'm still impressed that you got out there and tried - but maybe not quite so far next time. I'm sure the heat didn't help. I'm glad there were people there to help you and that you made it home safely.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

mara: you aren't fleeing an impending disaster or a hostile army approaching. You do not have to go THAT far. There is a limit to "pushing yourself" I am so glad there were folks to help you out and not leave you hanging onto a pole or lying in the street. Bless them. Like See Q I am happy you made it home. Take it easy, Girl!!

Mae: we have brown recluse spiders here in BC as well. but I don't think their bite, which can be awful, is nearly as bad as their southern cousins. Happy half-birthday. Mine is tomorrow. Alas, with Covid, no fancy dinner out. I asked my DH for some form of Fitness Tracker. I need to get on board with the rest of you! I don't mind spiders but I am no fan either. I am glad I don't live in places like Australia where spiders are so big that can drag a rat away. They can get as big as bread plates. Waaaaa. Australia has so many creepy, crawly, poisonous critters. Snakes. Sort of okay with them. When I was a kid I used to wrap garter snakes around my wrists, then twirl around with my arms up. People who believe in reincarnation would say "Oh, you were probably a Minoan High Priestess" Ha. Nope. I was just a weird little girl. I was bitten by the mouse I was trying to save from a cat. My father was horrified to find me with a bat that had somehow fallen out of the attic and was on my lap, where I was petting its cute, little fox like face. A weird little girl.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

mae, that sounds serious! Can you go to an urgent care?

• illimae

Cowgal, no venom line or streaking but I am keeping an eye out for any changes.

Elderberry, I agree and could not handle Australia.

Well, I failed to remain calm and had a little panicky freak out, DH drove me to get a 1/2 birthday cupcake. Not a great way to deal with stress, I know but I was too far gone at the time. Better now fortunately.

DH calmed me by saying that the spiders last thought before dying from my chemo meds was probably “I shouldn’t have bit that lady” lol, gotta love someone who can make you laugh in tense times.

• cowgal

Mae - If you would like I can PM you my phone number. I got bit by a venomous spider here in Oklahoma a few years ago and maybe can give you a few tips that might be useful while you wait on your doctor.

• mara51506

Elderberry, I agree and will limit my walks to the 8 to 10 km or 5 to 6 miles. Those I have done, even in heat and not had a problem. No need to walk 16km or 10 miles just for a burger lunch. I could not even finish my lunch. I'll be more careful next time, that is for sure.

• mara51506

Mae, I am sorry you got bit by that spider, glad your husband took you for a cupcake for a 1/2 birthday and his humour about the spider biting a chemo lady was precious, he sounds like a good husband.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

Mae - some years ago I ended up in the hospital for a suspected brown recluse bite. Turned out is was a chigger bite that got infected - probably because I was scratching & we were camping 'rough' with no showers for a week. Hang in there girl.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

mae, it's nice to have a husband who can make you laugh. That was a good one about the poor spider who probably died from chemo meds after it bit you. Wouldn't it be funny to see nauseated, bald mosquitos hanging around the chemo clinic??? I wonder what a bald, nauseated mosquito looks like?

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

wow Candy. You’re getting your third booster already? I’m still scared of the second.

Mae~ watch that closely.

Lol at sunshine

• seeq

Mae, your husband gets brownie points for just the right amount/ timing of humor. I hope that bite turns out to be a false alarm.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Hey guys, we really don't have creepy crawlies lurking in every corner waiting to drag us off never to be seen again, I promise...lol..Mae you'd be as safe in the suburbs here as there, the big huntsman spiders keep all the other flies, mosquitoes and bugs out of your house. Fun fact, the daddy long legs is extremely venomous but it's not strong enough to pierce our skin, they also will keep down the mosquito population. Well, now that I'm done defending my country , I hope you all have a great weekend and enjoy whatever you all get up to.

• illimae

Kittykat, good to know. Those huntsman spiders sure look terrifying though, yikes!

Update, I sent a pic to my PCP and they say it doesn’t look concerning. The red area is reduced and I’m thinking I may have overreacted. It’s just bizarre, no pain, no itch, nothing. Cowgal, I appreciate the offer and may take you up on that if it changes, for now, I’m better mentally.

Our houseguest has found an apartment, so we’ll be ramping up our moving efforts next week.

• cowgal

illimae - Glad you are doing better. My only long term effect from that spider bite is that I like to crawl on walls and have a strong desire to eat bugs! I would like to make a weapon recommendation to you for you to protect yourself from creepy crawlers and it might be really useful at your cabin: https://www.bugasalt.com/ . I have owned one for years and it really comes in handy on occasion.

Mara - I think you did great on your walk! I have been struggling with walking and don't like to leave my house unless my husband is around so I can call if I cannot make it back. I am not able to get very far.

Laurie and Candy - I have been praying for you both.

Everyone - I hope everyone else is doing okay and has a great weekend!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

pocket duty if needed. Thinking of you BooBoo and candy. Glad your leg is feeling better Mae. We don’t need bites from spiders. Cowgirl~ I don’t like any spider. Either. Lol. Hee bee gee bees.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mae,

I hope you are ok. Spider bites can be very dangerous, so I’m glad you are taking it seriously. And I agree with the others. Your DH is funny!

• illimae

Cowgal, that bug a salt would fit in nicely at the cabin and now I’m tempted to season the hubs dinner with it too, lol. Question, does the salt kill the bugs to just cause them to scatter?

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

Kittykat: no insult meant to OZ, just the bugs. You guys have good beer ,Tim Tam and terrific Tv shows like "Jack Irish" Oh yeah -- and really rough rugby. "Aussie Rules". ..isn't that the same as No Rules"? ha ha

• mara51506

Cowgal, thanks. I really should have focused on how far I managed to walk instead of the negative. Surprisingly, my legs are not sore today. I am taking the day off walking just for today. Will pick it up tomorrow and will get the same step count tomorrow as yesterday. Just going to limit each walk to no more than an hour and use my UV umbrella if it is super sunny out. I will also wait until it is cooler as well I think. Determined now to conquer that walk with a little more strategy behind me, like rest on benches and take in some water and nuts, treat it more like a hike. We will see.