Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Candy - oh man. Prayers for both you and your sister! Such a hard call. I don't know what I would do not having been in your shoes. The logical part of my brain says keep checking in on the phone for a day or so unless her condition changes dramatically. The last thing you need is to pick up a bug from the nursing home. If it's something she ate or the stool softeners it should be out of her system in 24-48 hours and it would give you another day or so to really rest from the booster. Just my two cents. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all of this. Take care of you too while you are taking care of her.

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 175

Candy,

I think you should consider trying to obtain more information before you visit. Tomorrow, when you call, can you ask if there have been samples sent for Norovirus? That is a common GI infection that can run rampant in group facilities. You do NOT want to get infected with that if you are immunosuppressed.

Stay well,

Jane

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698

C-DIFF is another disease that tears through nursing homes and care facilities. They should be testing for that as well. It's nothing to mess around with, especially for someone with a compromised immune system

I had a bout with it in 2012/13 (caused by an antibiotic that my dentist prescribed). It took me 18 months and $80,000. worth of specialized antibiotics to get rid of it.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,053

Candy~. Thinking of you during these challenging times. I just want you to be ok. When my father was in hospice and patients started getting the flu. It spread like wild fire. I ended up getting it and was very sick for a week. Just please be careful. I know you’re pushing your limits already. 💜 my friend

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Candy - like you needed one more thing! If you think it could have been an offhand comment, you might call and talk to the lead nurse about what, if anything, is "going around" in the center. If there is a bug working its way through, I think I'd give it a few days.

Goldens -ouch! I hope the injections help.

Laurie and Tanya - it sounds like you had a fun visit. Thanks for the pic.

Pretty quiet day here. Starting and ending with a thunderstorm. I had a nice Zoom call with all my siblings, so that was fun.

::waving to everyone::

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Hey all, I don't post often, but i follow daily. I just wanted to say to candy, put yourself first. You deserve that right, trust your gut. Don't risk it... I know time is an enemy right now, but put you first.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Thank you ladies. I talked last night on the phone to a very nice CNA at the nursing home. She said, Yes, several residents have GI issues right now. I don't know if they are testing the poo, I will ask an administrator today. I think I have to stay away for a few days. I hate to. I can call my sister on the phone, but she is confused at times and also very anxious. I don't know if she understands why I am not there and then gets more anxious thinking I have abandoned her. Heart wrenching. But, I am off my Ibrance right now-- a wash out period-- then I start Lynparza. I don't want to go into a new med with some GI illness. Good grief this is exhausting.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Candy - stay safe! You can’t afford to get a GI problem. And you will be even less help for your sister if that happens. Prayers that all will be cleare and you can return in the near future.

My first knee injection has taken my pain from a 10 to a 7. I’m encouraged to think what it will be like after I’ve had all 3!

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Candy, I know its hard, especially when your sister is experiencing confusion but as the others have said it's best to err on the side of caution and call your sister to reassure her.

Tanya and Booboo, what a great picture, so glad you were able to get together. Goldens, I hope the next 2 injections make the pain in your knee recede to a bearable level if not make it go completely.

I've been slowly improving, my potassium levels are low again so I've been working on eating the right foods to get my energy levels right and improve the resulting tachycardia.

Pocket duty for anyone who needs it I'll bring the Timtams.

Have a great week everyone.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Candy, thinking of you and your sister both. I hope they get back to you about whether it was a bug going around the home or what. It would be scary for you both if you cannot be there. I hope it turns out not to be contagious and that you can return soon.

Kitty, I am sorry to hear your troubles with tachycardia and low potassium, hope it improves soon.

Goldens, here is hoping the pain is relieved with those injections.

Not much going on today. I intend to walk 18000 steps today but in a more common sense way for me in this heat. Did a half hour walk this morning outside while cooler and doing the rest as a march, almost on the spot though I move slowly around the room. Got 8000 so far. Feel safer doing that in the house when it is so hot. I bragged to myself that the heat did not bother me and largely, even if sweating, it does not but my body would beg to differ and cannot take the chance of getting so lightheaded that I had to hang onto a poll and call for help. Never gonna do that to myself again. Long outdoor walks will have to wait until the temp is in the low 70s I think. Rest breaks included for a two hour walk as well if I plan to walk that far. For now, in the house where it is cool, water and salt are plentiful.If I go outside, it will be a 10 minute walk, not sure I feel like the treadmill today. On the spot works well. Cross posted with Stage V thread.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719

Ladies, good catching up with all your ‘goings on’ after a break in the outer Hebrides with my friends. Mae so glad the bite didn’t turn out to be a real nasty, and Tanya/ Laurie just lovely you got to catch up.

My friend, who is a cancer patient but not BC has sadly has been told no more chemo and is in the planning phase of hospice / home care. She sent me a message as if that’s the last I would ever hear from her. I sent her one back saying you’re not gone yet and I’ve no intention of disappearing on her, even though she’ll need peace and privacy, I’ll still send her ‘ thinking about you’ stuff like cards and flowers. I’d hate it if all my friends just disappear thinking they’re intruding when it comes to my time. I have another friend who regularly sends me flowers ‘ just to remind you how bloody awesome you are!’ Love her to bits!

Hugs to everyone!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Hi everyone!

I've got a bunch of weird crap happening.

I've had increasing cough & shortness of breath - not horrible but definitely a change in the worse direction. Talked with my MO and I've had a chest xray today, she's starting me on steroids and she's trying to book me a CT this week, putting my immunotherapy on hold. Still waiting to hear the results of the chest xray. Still hoping it's nothing but reality is I'm coughing and get out breath way too easily.

My MIL who is in a retirement village type assisted living housing (they provide meals and housekeeping) fell and broke her pelvis getting out of bed in the middle of the night. She's in hospital, visiting restrictions are still in place so technically dh can't visit her but we're worried about her mental health as she's very anxious. PT is assessing her today but she'll probably need to go to rehab and won't be able to go back to her assisted living condo for a while - if ever...

Ds went off to play DnD in person (being held outdoors and I think he will stay masked) & one hand I'm glad for him getting sort of back to social things but otoh he is driving on a dangerous road that he's not familiar with to get there & he's not a confident driver yet. So, yanno, stressing me out a bit lol.

I'm going to try to find something to do to distract myself from everything

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,954

Candy, I'm so sorry for what you're going through. Is there any way to maybe FaceTime or Zoom with your sister so she can see you? I'm sure that's probably not possible, but it's just a thought.

Note: I have edited this post.

• micmel

that’s awesome KBL…..

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

KBL, I’ve got your daughters episode set to record, this will be fun.

• mara51506

Moth, I'm sorry to hear all that has been going on, in your pocket for the chest xray, healing thoughts for your MIL and good vibes for your son driving.

Karen I am sorry to hear about your friend.

• kbl

Thank you, Micmel and Mae.

• candy-678

Well early this morning I got a call from the Nursing Home nurse. An update. My sister is more confused and agitated. Refusing her meds by mouth. Says she feels sick but refusing nausea med too. Not eating or drinking. Commented to nurse that she saw her mom (Mom been dead for 8 years). Nurse says she thinks she looks more grey. Only God knows how long she will last, but I think I am going up to the Nursing Home today, for a couple of hours. I am cautious about germs, but I think if I don't go I will regret it later. I am calling Hospice this morning. Her meds are pills. Can they not give another way? I am not happy with Hospice this time around. We had them 8 years ago with Mom and they were wonderful. This time they are not helping.

I am reading your posts but just cannot comment at this time. Sorry. And I am thankful for all of you.

• mara51506

I am sorry to hear the hospice is not as comforting or effective as they were last time. I empathize your fear of germs related to your own physical issues that you are dealing with but am glad you are going to see her. Nothing worse than not going and finding out she passed alone. It is so hard to do to be in a hospice with a family member anyway but it does more than you know for your family member. Wrapping you both up in a hug from here.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,717

No worries Candy. We can hear how tough this is, wishing you and your sister well.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625

Candy - continued prayers for you and your family. I hope your sister seeing your mom brings her and you comfort.

• kbl

Candy, thinking of you. Hugs from here.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Hugs, Candy.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Candy, Hugs to you. You may have heard about this, or been through it with your mom’s passing, but it’s apparently common in the dying process for people to “see” or dream about relatives who have gone before them. My mom thought I was her (deceased)sister once in her last days and I didn’t really know how to react but I went along with her. Your sister seeing your mom may be that sort of thing. I was told there’s also a life review that the dying go through, where they relive memories from throughout their lives. I’m hoping to attach a link that includes some of this. Your hospice facility may have a prepared booklet for families with some info like this too. Wishing you peace.

https://suebrayne.co.uk/death-and-dying/how-do-you-know-when-someone-is-beginning-their-dying-process/

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Hugs to you Candy, thinking of you and your sister.

• micmel

Candy~ love you friend. Thinking of you and your sister.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

thinking of you candy. I hope you're finding moments of peace.

• RosieRed
    RosieRed Member Posts: 209

Candy - my prayers to you and your sister during this difficult time. Hugs.

• micmel

imagefor Candy~

• candy-678

Thank you ladies.

I had a conference call with Hospice and the Nursing Home today. We discussed several things- my sister's anxiety, pain, nausea, bowels, etc. Apparently no BM documented in a week ???!!! They are working on resolving the constipation. Changing meds to liquid form for ease of giving. Various options for the anxiety. I hope something works and she has better quality of life versus quantity.

I was informed a staff member of the Nursing Home tested positive for Covid. So they are restricting visitors. Since my sis is on Hospice they are being more lax for the family, but, I am hesitant. So... I am going to maybe visit tonight for a few minutes out on the patio. The heat is horrid right now--- heat index 105 today. But maybe at 7pm or so, outside on the shaded patio, we can tolerate it for a few minutes. If she can tolerate it in her wheelchair.

Good grief.