Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Kitty - pocket duty as well. I have yummy wisconsin cheese and crackers.

Mel - fall is my favorite season. I started burning my fall scented candles even though it's been in the mid 80s. I think we will have beautiful colors since it's been so warm and dry. Time will tell. The colors are just starting🍁🍁🍂

Heading to our daughters to babysit their 2 dogs and bringing our 3. We call them the Golden Girls.

Ours are the first 2 on the left in the front and the one on the right in the back

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Weird to think Kittykat is going into Spring with us going into Fall here. I LOVE FALL. My favorite season. October my favorite month.

Well I got a call from my PCP at 9pm last night (Friday night). He keeps late hours working in his office. He has been my PCP over 25 years. He is a good guy. We have had our head butts over the years, haha, since I have always been active in my healthcare. He will prescribe some med, then ask me if I took it the next time I come in, and just shake his head when I say No I didn't think I needed it.

Anyhoo, He called to say my thyroid biopsy done on Thursday came back benign. Woohoo. I didn't think it would be cancer--- 2 biopsies 5 and 6 years ago were ok. But latest PET lit up for the thyroid. At least no cancer there.

Goldens- Cute dogs. Your 3 "Golden Girls".

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Oh my goodness….so much going on.

Kittykat, I’m going to jump in your pocket on the other side. I can’t do crowds! Please get better soon. That adorable grandson of yours needs his Grandma!

Mae, I am guessing that toenail issues are common amongst those who have had chemo or other nasty drugs because I have one that hurts when you touch it. Anyhoo, I hope it feels better.

Mara, take care, my dear. Hot tea and chicken soup. And please listen to your sisters here….if things don’t improve, time for a test.

Goldens, your dogs are beautiful. My niece breeds golden retrievers, and there is nothing more precious than a golden pup! It’s their eyes that I find so interesting. You feel like you can look right into their soul.

Tanya, you take care of that back. I hope you found a good tv for a good price.

Mel, I can’t wait to feel that nice crisp weather when I come up. Couple of weeks from now I hope to be enjoying a nice warm fire and the Fall colors. Fingers crossed!

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend. Love to all.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,716

Booboo, yes, chemo and also nail care. It seems that I may have been trimming wrong, perhaps too short near the corners sometimes. And it was tenderness to touch that got me to the doc. When the weather changes I’m going to have to start wearing shoes and socks (I live in flip flops), so I can’t have pain.

Goldens, the dogs are beautiful and I’m sure have great personalities but your three look almost identical to me, I’d get so confused, lol

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,953

Candy, I'm so happy it was benign. One less thing on your plate. Hugs.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Kittykat, pocket duty for you as well and Mel for her toe, may it feel better soon.

Candy very glad it was benign as well.

Laurie, I am taking easy for myself. I don't have a fever, just a really sore throat. Made up a baking soda/salt water combo that I am gargling with, went to the store to buy more Buckley's which helps and taking advil. The reason I think I am tired is because I wake up with such a painful throat. It was a walk that was just over an hour total, snagged myself some chocolate almond bars as a treat and will likely nap off and on as I woke at 5 am. The gargling and the advil and Buckley's is helping me, the fresh air helps as well. Might do another short walk after lunch, we will see and still nap if I should wish to.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Some of you are so good at remembering everyone else's posts. I'm not, so I apologize for that. I do read them and I do care. I have to keep scrolling up to see who said what. That being said and regarding pocket duty, I don't like crowds, either - except for this crowd! Booboo, if I hop in the same pocket as you, but stay in the other corner, will that be OK?

Carol

• candy-678

Thank you Mae for what you did.

• lilyfrombeppu
    lilyfrombeppu Member Posts: 29

Congratulations! An excellent interview!

• goldensrbest

Mae - great article. I’m on a Facebook group for MBC and I’m shocked at how young some of the members are.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Hi everyone, I still don't have any idea what's going on with my heart, it still races every time I get up to do anything, the ct scan was scary because I had to lie flat and I really felt like I couldn't breathe, having all of you there with me helped to get through it, so thanks to everyone. I was in an isolation room when I got here they moved me to a shared room, now they have found out I've also got viral influenza I've been put back my own room.

Candy, great news about your thyroid, woohoo.

Mae, great but sobering article in the paper and I hope your toe heals quickly.

Tanya, I hope your back pain settles down soon.

Moth, glad to read your arm is healing well.

I'm available remotely for anyone who needs pocket duty , I don't want to make anyone ill, well it's almost 2 in the morning so I going to try to sleep, night everyone.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Mae, you said exactly how I feel about it taking your lifespan away as I feel mine has done as well. I know in the back of my mind that my cancer will take my life sooner than anything else would have. My DH and SIL, hell, even my younger brother don't seem to register that my time is most likely limited. Hard to wrap the mind around. Good article. I was not much older than you either still 43 when first dx in 2015, now I will be 50, nice so far but the future is so uncertain.

• candy-678

Good grief Kittykat. Viral influenza too. Bless your heart. My thoughts are with you.

• illimae

The podiatrist is saw Thursday had mentioned that his SIL had passed away from stomach cancer just the day before after having stopped treatment 2 weeks ago because nothing was working. I was shocked when he told me she was only 29!

Usually October is not something I look forward to (except for Halloween) but I’m pleased to focus on living with MBC instead of general BC awareness.

Kitty, thinking of you Heart

• goldensrbest

Kittykat - flu? How awful. Are you getting any antiviral meds?

I think we are all falling apart - a little at a time…. Take care friends…HUGS

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

• seeq

This is what we need for pocket duty.

• seeq

Mae - great article - yes, I like turning the focus to MBC instead of "awareness"

Goldens - Beautiful girls

Candy - great news! Nice that your PCM called before the weekend

booboo - take care of that toe before its a bigger problem.

It's been a hard week. A friend (another one) found out he had esophageal cancer two weeks ago and passed on Thursday. My stepdaughter's stepdad passed from COVID this week - an otherwise healthy man. Her mom was sick and in hospital, but is home now and slowly getting better.

For the last three days, I'm fussing with getting my scrip filled. It's approved and no issue, except how is going to get here, all tied up in beauracracy. It looks like it should be here Monday, but I can't confirm it with tracking, yet, so I'm not completely convinced.

• goldensrbest

SeeQ - so sorry for all the loss😥😥

• booboo1

Great article, Mae. Is that your real name (Ilona)? And are those your legs in the pic next to you? Wow!

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

Goldens: No one can tell me that is not a doggie smile on the the face of the one on the upper right. That pic gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling!

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,953

Mae, the article was so great and informative. I’ve saved it for future reference.

SeeQ, I love the pocket-duty vest. It’s awesome.

I’m so sorry for the losses this week. So sad.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

living with MBC is so difficult, I love your outlook Mae. Well done. Your name is beautiful. Well done with the article. Now we have two stars. Tanya. And you!! I hate everything about cancer. Just reading that article makes me so mad. So many young vibrant women. Cut down before her prime in some cases. I know my future is shortened by this dreadful disease and it’s a hard pill to swallow. Some days I don’t know what to do with the overwhelming feelings of being lost inside my own life. With no way to change course. It effects everyone in my life. I hate it. Some days I just feel like letting treatment go and see what happens. I really give strong thought to do I really want to live like this for years and however suffering I may face. Being a lost soul means you can’t find your place. I feel I can’t find my place sometimes. Some days I don’t feel like burden. Others I do. Where my cancer (what very. Little cancer I even have) is on my spine on my tail bone area which causes great discomfort no matter what I’m doing. Just plain stuck. Solid like cement my days are. Just unbelievable sometimes when I think back at the life I had. Oh how I miss that person. And life. I want it back so badly. Cancer is cruel. I know you all get it.

• illimae

booboo, yup, my name is ilona, illi is a nickname I’ve had as long as I can remember and Mae is short for my middle name. I’m not sure about the legs but I was wearing black and white plaid pants.

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746

Good interview, Illimae! Hope it moves younger women in Houston to get tested if they have any concerns. This information is so much more valuable than “pink stuff”.

Hang in there Micmel!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Mae, thank you for sharing the article. How can something make me happy, sad, glad and mad at the same time? I hate this disease!

I remember being on a walk with my husband one evening and I told him that I was mad. Just MAD. Mad at everything that has changed for us, mad that my family is affected, mad that husband may be a widow (unless he dies surfing, mountain climbing or "gets hit by a beer truck" - as our financial planner said). I'm not mad all the time, but sometimes... You all know...

• illimae

Sunshine, I totally agree, it’s cruel to so many more than just ourselves. I hate that my husband will likely end up a bitter old hermit who, in grief, stops taking care of himself and dies early too. I just hope I go quickly when it’s time, that mountain is no place for long drawn out care but I’m hopeful that it’ll be a place of peace and good health, where I can do well for several more years.

• booboo1

Mae,

It is a beautiful name.

My take away from the article is that we need to lift the barrier so that any woman can get a mammogram, no matter what age. There are too many young women who are not even thinking about the possibility of breast cancer because the insurance companies are setting an age for prevention. My hope is that the article will also wake up the medical community to remind all of us about self exams. It’s so important, yet we don’t take it seriously.

• illimae

booboo, I completely agree. At 39, when I had my first and clear mammogram, I was under the recommended age and couldn’t have just walked in to get it done. My PCP had to get it approved and without a lump at the time, it probably wasn’t so easy. Good thing he’s been my doc for nearly 20 years now, an established relationship certainly helps.