Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Candy - I certainly understand your hesitation given being alone with no support. I was surprised how better my back pain was after I completed my knee injections. It might be the same thing for you with the procedure your Ortho wanted for your hip. BTW - I have no intentions of having the knee or hip replacements.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Candy,

Ever tried acupuncture? I'm thinking you would get two for one: it's SO relaxing (to me), and after the 2nd treatment, I felt pain relief.

I’m hoping that whatever route you travel will give you what you need to start living again. Prayers for you my dear.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Boo- I have not done acupuncture. I did ask about it a couple of years ago. Someone in my town does it. Does not take insurance, just cash. $50 a session. Wanted a couple sessions a week for 6-8 weeks to get full benefit, I believe that is how it was. Cannot afford that. I don't know about Medicare. That is what I will be on starting Dec 1. That is a thought, to ask about it again.

Today I went to get Walmart curbside grocery pick up. Unloading groceries and paper products, cat litter, etc I was winded, nauseous, and hurt. I just told myself "Candy, you feel fine". Maybe that mantra will help. Positive thinking and all that.

Today I am going to visit my sisters grave. Today would have been her birthday. Put some flowers on the grave.

On a lighter note, my texting friend is off work for 2 weeks after a back procedure-- haha he has back issues too, but not cancer. We are going to get out for an ice cream or something while he is off work. I am looking forward to it. Just something easy and no crowds. Wish the leaves would change and we could go for a drive, but still looks, and feels, like summer here.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Well, another day more walking. Changing it up to a 15 mile leslie sansone walk, does not matter which one after every meal, perhaps an outdoor walk. In the meantime, I am filling out surveys and watching videos for money, easy peasy. Also discovered the most wonderful 7 grain quinoa type stuff at costco. Love it because it tastes good and I do not have to put anything on it. I am also living for the maple bacon seasoning I got at costco as well. I will need to ask DB to take me there more often. I am getting more busy this month starting on Wed for Herceptin, Thurs for witness prep. Week after, trial should be starting and a brain MRI on the 20th, pocket duty appreciated, more nervous of this one.

There has to be something that someone can do for you Candy to ease the pain besides drugs only, I hope you or someone else is able to find a solution for you. Living with pain on top of cancer and covid and living alone is more than anyone to handle. I hope you find a solution soon.

Oh, if anyone was interested, my cold is gone, did last longer but I am fine now. Always going to gargle with baking soda and salt water after every meal to avoid sore throats again. Lasted the full 7 to 10 days they normally do.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Mara, I'll be in your pocket for sure on the 20th, here's to clear results for you. Candy, I hope Medicare will cover acupuncture so you can at least try it to see if it provides any relief.

• candy-678

Kitty- How are you???

Mara- Pocket duty on the 20th.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Mara, in your pocket on the 20th. Bringing oatmeal raisin cookies for anyone that shares my love of them. Hope the trial is not too stressful.

Hi to everyone, hope your Saturday is a nice one.

Quiet weekend for me, then a little road trip next weekend to meet car club friends in KY and a visit to daughter & family’s new place in Charleston, SC where they just moved. DH got his booster a few days ago but I’m waiting it out till after my yearly mammo in November. Apparently some people have enlarged lymph nodes after the shots and they show up on the images. I had that once, led to my dx, and hope to not hear it again.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 223

Candy, I hope you find something to help relieve the pain. I know for me, pain causes stress and stress causes pain. I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with your doctors. I second Boo's suggestion of acupuncture. I had 12 rounds last year for shoulder pain and headaches and it helped.

I am the only one in my family with breast cancer, though I do not know my father or his side at all. My mother's sister passed away this March from bile duct cancer. She was diagnosed the year after my first dx. But there are some autoimmune disorders. I have Graves' disease, which I think was triggered by the radiation, and I have a female cousin with Hashimoto's.

I've been very lucky so far with side effects. But I woke up several times last night because my elbow joints hurt so bad. I know Arimidex causes joint issues, so I guess this is the start. I used to take glucosamine before my dx but I'm not sure if it interferes with any of my meds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mae, I'm over in the San Antonio area. I hope your trip to Corpus is fun

Edited to add: Mara definitely in your pocket on the 20th. I might go savory snacks this time :

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Candy, I'm still the same, just sitting here waiting for answers so I can go home.

• mara51506

Rosie, thank you. I think I'll be fine. I think part of the stressed feeling besides finding bloody clothes in my backyard is that was just a couple of days before Mom died. I feel like once the trial is done, I will not feel bad about it and hopefully get the justice for the victim, or at least be a small part.

I also must add, I picked up some maple bacon seasoning, gonna need a spice rack soon. Used part of a pre cooked meat burger ground up, 1/4cup of black beans, sprinkled a little bit of shredded cheese, nuked them for 45 seconds. Once out, I added 2 tbsp of pb and me powdered peanut butter, sprinkle of wheat bran, salt and loaded up on a lot of the maple bacon. Put a dollop of mayo and mixed it all together. Admittedly, looks a bit blobby, not something i would serve someone else but the taste in my mouth was heaven and since I really only go for beans, vegan meats and the occasional ground beef or chicken, the seasonings are great. I al had a 7 grain salad from Costco which was good.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,714

Jumping in for pocket duty on the 20th with extra special calming beach vibes 😁 for Mara.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

Count me in! I’ll bring the umbrella drinks

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,953

In your pocket, Mara

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

I’m pretty sure this has been discussed before, so apologies for that…but I find it interesting how many of us have auto-immune disorders as well as MBC (and other cancers). Katyblu, I have Sarcoidosis, so we’ll have to watch our families, kids, etc. if AIs pop up….especially your daughters. That’s when I would fight with the insurance companies to pay for a mammogram early.

Rosie, your post triggered something else. When I saw my MO on Monday, she mentioned that the hard mass in my stomach area could be an enlarged lymph node. I had the booster shot about 2 weeks ago, so wouldn’t it be good if that’s what it is? Time to go sleuthing….

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Hello!

I guess I am a newbie as I just joined the forum from the breastcancer. Org menu. I do not know exactly what to do from here so I will introduce myself. I live on Prince Edward Island in Canada. Originally from Ontario where my first diagnosis of breast cancer was found over 20 years ago. I had a mastectomy on my right side along with 11 nodes removed. Went through heavy chemotherapy and put on Femara for 5 years. After 20 years I thought I was what they referred to as a survivor.

In 2019 I found a lump on my same right side and after all the tests found out I had MBC. It was on my lymph nodes along with my 11th vertebrae and my right shoulder. This was found in PEI where we have lived since 2004. I live here with my husband and my son. My son is down syndrome and autistic. He is 27 years of age and lives in a wonderful group home.

On this small island there is little group support and family doesn't really want to discuss it. I also have an older daughter who lives in Ontario. Most of the time there really isn't anyone to talk to about my fears etc.

I am currently on Ibrance and Lectrazole for the past 2 years.

• mara51506

Welcome Deb to this living room, fellow Canadian here as well. Glad you are here, we definitely are people you can discuss hopes and fear with, we are very supportive to each other and everyone who joins us here. When you have more time, in your profile, it would help to know your breast cancer info like HR/PR and HER 2 status in case you have a question about treatments and all of that. I am really sorry to hear about your MBC dx, it is a blow to be sure. Glad to hear your son has a good place to live.

Mae, Mel and everyone, thank you for the pocket duty. I will be taking you to my MRI and to the court if I get to finally testify in the trial. I'll take all the treats you have and any drinks as well.

Deb, forgot to say, I don't always find my family receptive to cancer talk myself. My older brother and SIL know where I stand when it comes to DNR (for any reason, not just cancer) and hospice etc. They don't imagine me not living to be 65 or anything, which would be great. I don't need to tell them that is unlikely. I take it one step, if I am feeling well and strong, that is all one can ask for. I can walk, good at eating and really have no pain which is a blessing after the number of years I have dealt with MBC. I do get nervous when scan times roll around like everyone else. I do keep family updated about scans, normally through facebook and that is about it.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Thank you Mara for your warm welcome. I am HR/PR+and HER2 +.

Wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. !

• candy-678

Welcome LivingIVlife.

Booboo- I have autoimmune disorders of Sjogrens Syndrome and Rheumatoid Arthritis.

• mara51506

Deb, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well, going over to my older brother's for turkey and all the fixings. Should be really good I think.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

BooBoo, Yes, definitely look into the booster effect possibility.

LivingVILife/Deb, Welcome. I hope you find this living room a supportive and helpful place. There are lots of other good threads on this site that may be interesting to you, but this the first one I read.

• illimae

Welcome livingIVlife, fear, fun, anything goes here.

Booboo, no autoimmune issues for me, just a strong family history not backed up by any currently identified genes or mutations. Prior to MBC out of the gate, I only had allergies.

• kbl

LivingIVLife, welcome. I’m sorry you find yourself here. I hope you find some comfort in knowing we all care about each other.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

Welcome LivingIVlife!

Booboo and Mara - in your pockets for the PET scan and MRI

Candy- hoping you find some relief soon! So sorry you're going through all that but glad you'll get to spend time with your friend.

Mae- have so much fun in Corpus. We like Galveston but want to try Port Arkansas soon.

Katyblu- I'm in San Antonio too, near Trinity University, hello neighbor!

Last night I watched Samsara, it's a movie with no words, just images of nature, religions, disasters, people all over the world, and some fairly disturbing stuff as well. This is our world though, helps to keep things in perspective and also work on my attention span, get me off my phone screen.

Cleaned the oven today the old fashioned way. Cleaned off the patio, now I'm pooped! Thumbed through a cookbook, may try a lasagna next weekend. Indian take-out tonight. Hello everyone!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

welcome to the thread livinglife. Come in and let you feelings rip! We have regular shifts of pocket duty so you never feel alone. We are a noisy bunch but can behave when have too. Let me wrap you in a bug welcome hug.

Hello to the other ladies. BooBoo,Mae, kitty. Hope you go home soon. Sending good vibes. Goldens… Moth…Dodgersgirl,kiko when I went for type your name it wanted to type kilo. I was like ooopps. No thank you spell check. Lol. KBL, Rosie, Mara, Candy, Tanya, Karen, cowgirl , intolight, jensgotthis,katyblu.

• kbl

Hello back, Mel.

Kikomoon, it always feels good when we accomplish something. I hate physical labor. I did wash my car this weekend but looked at my husband and said, “You can dry it off.” Cleaning the oven would be a no for me. Lol

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Happy Thanksgiving for the Canadians

LivingIvlife welcome.

Mara pocket duty with pumpkin pie to go with the oatmeal cookies. You needs lots of food for the mri and trial.

Kikimoon you were really busy today. Energy!!!!

Booboo a puffy lymph node after vaccine would be great news. Praying for the best.

Kitty hope you get home soon

Candy are the new side effects causing you more pain too? I understand and support whatever decision you make about more surgeries. You’ve been through a lot more poking lately. Yuk! We all get tired of that and then having an ortho surgery would require someone to care for you too. Booboo told me it’s a long healing ❤️🩹 afterwards too.

Mae are you on vacation now? I miss your packing and laying your cute outfits and accessories out so then bam we see you modeling them in some fantastic backdrop. Enjoy your time.

Mel are the leaves turning in your neck of the woods now?

Waving hello to everyone.

Tanya

• mara51506

Thank you Tanya!

• illimae

Tanya, our beach trip will be in about 2 weeks.

Currently, I’m up at 2am, leaving suddenly to the cabin. Our friend hasn’t responded to DH’s texts for a week, which is not like him at all. We asked someone out there to check on him and his truck is there but no response and DH is very concerned. We don’t want to send police because people move there to be left alone, so off we go. I’m tired but when instinct speaks, we listen.

Good morning, I’ll check in later.

• mara51506

Mae, hope this finds your friend safe and sound.

• kbl

Oh, Mae, I hope you find him and he's okay. That's scary.