Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Mae, I hope your friend is OK, drive safely.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Mae check in when you can. Hope all is ok.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Mae - yes please let us know. Good that your gut said go and you listened.

Welcome all you newbies. I can’t keep up with everyone 😂. Always hate seeing more with this dreadful disease but this is the best place to be🥰.

Candy - do you take anything for your RA? My best friend uses methotrexate injections.

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends.

• candy-678

Goldens- I was started on hydroxychloroquine (the drug we heard about from the former President concerning Covid) in 2014 when I was diagnosed with RA. I was on it until the cancer in 2017. My rheumatologist stopped it then due to the cancer drugs causing the low white counts. I have asked him about it several times since then and he still says that I cannot restart it, or any other RA drugs, as they too suppress the immune system and my body could not tolerate both the cancer meds and the RA meds. Yet again, is this correct? Would other docs agree? Or is it the mindset of my local docs, as with my ortho issues. ?????

• goldensrbest

Candy - my friend on methotrexate is considered immunocompromised by her rheumatologist. That’s one of the drugs I was given when first dx with bc in 1990

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 223

Mae I hope that you find your friend and everything is okay!

Kikomoon, I’m in Cibolo on the northeast side. Howdy neighbor!

Welcome Living! I’ve found that this is a great place to feel understood. These ladies are wonderful and we all support each other.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,461

Well, I did a first today in my apartment. I normally will walk on the spot for 1000 steps and wait a while and walk another 1000 to get up to 10000 goal. Today I decided to provide myself a good workout since on the spot walking is much faster and able to really move the arms. I put down a yoga mat and walked up and down it and when I got tired would sit for a minute or grab water, not long enough to really cool down. Then I would go back to walking. I managed to hit my 10004 steps in 1h21 minutes with very few rest breaks and sweat buckets while doing this. I know this is flat but I am thinking that I could do something like this first thing and do other stuff in the daytime. This was the equivalent of 4.11 miles and a much more demanding workout than walking is for me at this point. Worst noise I heard was some floor squeaking but the foam mat absorbed any other noise, proud of myself for once. Getting ready for snow I think in the future when outdoor walks will depend on how well it is plowed.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

mae, hoping your friend is ok. That's scary not knowing what someone's status is.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,714

OMG! We got to his house, peeked in the window and it looked ransacked. Entered through an unlocked door and found him on the kitchen floor looking like he’d been there for days. No cell service in the valley area, so we busted into Sunday service at a church down the road, no phone reception there either, drove to the community center and call 911 from a land line. Got helpers from the church, loaded him into the back of my car and met the ambulance on the main dirt road, where he was taken to the local hospital. We just arrived and DH is seeing him now. Now idea what happened, possible stroke. He recognizes DH but can’t explain what happened to himself, so we’re waiting.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Mae, so sorry to hear what's happening with your friend. Thank goodness you followed your gut instinct!

Mara - in your pocket x2. I'm on a Heath bar kick, so I'll bring those.

Wow! I took off for 5 days and I think we got 5 new people in the living room. Welcome everyone!

We went camping with friends for 5 days and had a blast! Our house that we're selling is under contract. Hooray!

DH`s grandma passed, as expected, so he'll be traveling for the funeral. It was nice we got to see her while she was well back in May. She was 94 and still very independent.

Waving to everyone!!

• mara51506

Mae, thank god he was found, hope for a full recovery.

SeeQ thank you for the pocket duty.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Thank goodness you found him, I hope he has a speedy recovery.

• goldensrbest

Mae - how scary - let us know what the docs think happened.

Mara - in for pocket duty. Wine and Wisconsin cheese to go with all the sweets

I’m tired of packing - but by doing 3-4 boxes a day it is not overwhelming. And it’s all my back can handle.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 223

Oh wow Mae! I hope he’s okay. Good instincts on checking up on him. Wishing you some good news and some calmness.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,714

Thanks everyone. His bloodwork looks great but they’re waiting on scans. We’re still in the waiting room but after a 4 hour nap last night, a 10 hour drive to get here and then straight adrenaline, we are exhausted.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

Mae that’s crazy! I bet you are so tired and can hopefully get a lot of sleep soon. That is good y’all checked on him when you did.

• karenfizedbo15
    karenfizedbo15 Member Posts: 719

Oh Mae! Well done to you all for getting to him on time. I hope prognosis is decent.

Mara I had to sit on a high court Jury for an attempted murder a wee while ago. Very stressful and he was found guilty…. I thought benefit of the doubt as it wasn’t a clear case, but when the judge read out his previous convictions after we ruled him guilty I was happy we reached the right conclusion. Just go and tell them what you know.

Sondra I had my 3rd Covid jab ( not a booster - a full dose said the nurse who did it) plus flu jab at the same time last week. Floored me for a couple of days but fine now.

I did a virtual meeting at the request of the Marie Curie charitywith staff from the dept of work and pensions(DWP) …. Who treat terminal patients like we are stuck to the bottom of their shoe. Can’t share details but suffice to say the DWP were pretty shocked at how badly we are treated in terms of receiving benefits to which we have paid into and are entitled.

What exciting lives we seem to lead!

• candy-678

Good grief Mae. Hope he recovers ok. Bless you for following your instincts. You saved his life.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Mae get some rest. Wow that was certainly a good instinct.

Tanya

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Mae, I got goosebumps reading your post. I, too, thank God you listened to your gut and got up there sooner rather than later. Will hold out hope that he fully recovers.

Thank you for the update!

Carol

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,953

Mae, you and DH rock. I can’t even imagine how much longer he would have lasted with no food or water. Good for you. What great friends he has. I know when he recovers he will be forever grateful. I hope you got some rest. I’ll be sad if you don’t make it to the meeting tomorrow but will know why if you can’t.

Mara, great for you that you walked so much to know you can do that when winter hits.

Candy, sorry you have more to deal with not being able to have the med you need for RA.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

Mae~ thank god you knew to follow your instincts. That could have been really awful. I hope you’re able to rest now that you know he’s being cared for correctly.

To everyone else. I’m going to try to sleep tonight. Never works but I’m going to try. I hope everyone is doing well this evening. Happy Canadian thanksgiving. To our sisters . I love the food hate the mess

• kbl

SeeQ, I’m so glad you had a good trip and that you’ve sold your house. Yay! Sorry about your DH’s grandma.

• mara51506

Thanks Mel for the holiday wishes.

KBL, I enjoy walking for sure. My butt needs the walk.

• kbl

Mara, I don’t walk nearly as much as you do, but I walk almost a mile every day no matter what because I need to move. Sometimes I do it twice. I hate it if it rains. I went twice today. Second time was super hot but a nice breeze. My daughter definitely tries to get 10,000 steps a day. I love that.

• mara51506

Hoping it is a bit nicer out tomorrow as I do like the outdoor walk for sure but not in the rain. Most places are closed for Thanksgiving here so will probably walk but I will try to do the 10000 if I am up early. Then decide if I need more walks.

Had a nice dinner at my older brother and SILs house, everything was good, nice to see everyone. The only drawback was overhearing a conversation with my niece and her boyfriend and my brother and SIL possibly moving to another city. That would mean I would lose my entire support system. I don't drive so not sure how things will work out. Fingers crossed they do not move and don't want to be asked to move to another city. I would be sad but could adjust if it came to be. We will see. People would have to get employment in the other city so it may be just talk, who knows. Gonna be hard not to think about it. Tomorrow will require a lot of walking and music to ease my mind. They mentioned me moving too but I would not be up to leaving my city for another one. Well, I suppose I do it 98 percent of the time, would have to learn to do it 100 per cent, hopefully my health holds strong.

This is only talk so far, so we will see what happens.

• jhl
    jhl Member Posts: 175

Mae, how tragic you found such an awful medical emergency. Like everyone else, I hope for a successful recovery for your friend and healing & rest for you & your DH. To all our Canadian friends, a Happy Thanksgiving. Mara, you have such a good attitude. I like waiting to see what materializes before extra energy is spent on 'what ifs'. SeeQ, I am so sorry about your grandma-in-law. She lived a long time.

I am in a bit of a slump. When I think on what has transpired the last 23 months, I get overwhelmed. First, I was diagnosed with a rare lung infection November 2019. At the time I had a suspicious mammogram with an eventual breast cancer diagnosis. My treatment was delayed until my lung issue was sorted out. Then, Covid hit and we all became frightened and isolated although I was able to finish treatment. My brother in law passed away in May 2020 from Parkinson's. It was expected but still sad. Then, my mother died from just old age in July 2020. We were able to bury her but it was in the thick of Covid so everyone was fearful. Last December 2020, my mother-in-law died, also from old age at 96 years. We were not able to bury her. We finally did in July of this year. Another brother-in-law just passed away 4 months after being diagnosed with cancer & we just buried him two weeks ago. My sister is having a rough time. I am exhausted with all the grief. It's not just my family's grief but also the worldwide grief of these times. I am pretty emotionally resilient but these 23 months have me sorely tested.

For everyone with stresses and suffering, I am right there with you. I can't be near but I can listen. Your words of encouragement, even when I see them for others, lifts my own spirits.

Stay well. Stay happy.

Jane

• mara51506

Well, had a shorter night sleep but woke up with some thoughts about if my older brother moves. I don't see much of them anyway due to their being busy, once a week or so. Even if they move where my niece is talking about, older DB likely would just commute to London. My niece has this idea I need to be cared for by them, I think they see me as overly dependent, not sure why since I ask for very little. I could get by shopping on my own. My niece and SIL don't consider me very capable of doing things. That will never change, they are helpful and a bit bossy.

In the end, if they move, I stay here. Very little changes. I like where I live, nice quiet streets, tons of trees and close to a lot of different things and downtown. I will start training to get heavier stuff like vinegar a bit at a time, possibly multiple trips, get delivery for some other things. Just focus on me and losing some weight,Re getting back to where I was at not too long ago and feel better about me, not depend on others.

• candy-678

Mara- I understand a lack of a support system. As you said, they will need to find jobs, so maybe just talk. They did include you, that is good. If it would happen, how far would you be moving? Would they set you up in another apartment or live with them? Life can be so uncertain at times. I hope you can open the conversation soon with them and just talk out what they are thinking. Ease your mind.

jhl- I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. You have had a lot go on in the last 2 years. Please keep venting your feelings here. We understand.

• candy-678

Mara- We posted at the same time. How about setting up an apartment in the new city, where you can have some independence, but still be in the same area as they are? I would hate to think of you away from them if you get sicker. How far away would they be?