Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,714

Katy, sorry about the pain and I hope you get relief soon. I had some bad rib pain in early 2020 after my brain surgery, had to go to the ER. Turns out it was crazy bad muscle pain from all the coughing and choking when I couldn’t swallow due to a paralyzed vocal cord. That pain was unreal, you have my sympathies.

Nice to see some of you on the MBC zoom today.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Thanks everyone for your well wishes.Katyblu, I hope your onc can find the cause of your pain. In your pocket for tomorrow Sunshine.

My memory is shot, I've a calendar hanging on the back of the front door with all my appointments so I don't miss any. All my bills are on autopay as well and I pay for most things with my bank debit card, I rarely have any cash in my purse. Waving hi to everyone, have a good night, love Kittykat (Cathie)

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

I think she’s already been added.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    Hated to see another one of us gone too soon, feeling for the loss of Philly. Hate this disease….

Goldens, Karen, Elderberry, so glad you have stable/good results. Mara, good for "not totally bad" scans! Let's hope it's all clear next time.

Rosie, so sorry about your friend. My dad passed of esophageal cancer in 1990, things have come a long way since then, but still…I still never know what to say either.

kBL, good memory-making with your grandson, how fun!

Kitty- hope your lung infection clears ups soon and you can get back on treatment.

Booboo and Sunshine, in pocket for scans this week!

Moth- ikea,yikes! My only advice is don't drink while assembling :/

Katyblu, I'm so sorry you're in pain and can't get to work! This stupid disease is always messing with us in one way or another, I really hope you find some relief soon.

I can't believe how many Christmas commercials I've seen today :/, I think I’ll go rant about it. waving hello to everyone!

• micmel

Moth~never could assemble anything from ikea the directions are made for engineers. Good luck.

I’m happy for all the stable scans and am avail fir any pocket duty. I have my medicine doctor appt tomorrow, wish she had a cure pill. Off to bed. Sleep well ladies.

• micmel

Kiko~no no no no not yet I’m not even started. Ugh!

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

I have been trying to process the fact that Philly is gone. Hits me in the gut every time we lose one of our beloved sisters. May she Rest In Peace.

• micmel

she really threw everything-they had at it . May she be free of pain and have her daily be strong. I feel so for her brother and sister. Ugh! They were so close. 😪

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Well friends, we finally closed on our new home that is 5 minutes from our grandkids. Closing was originally set for 10/8 and after inexcusable delays by the lender, was closed yesterday. Now the whirlwind to finish packing and wait for movers to arrive on 11/9 to pack us. Thankfully my PCP gave me steroids to kick the back pain to the curb during this process.

It saddens me to read of all the health problems we have in this group - multiply that by all the MBC patients out there and it’s horrible to think of the suffering. But something I always see is a glimmer of positivity that grows as we support one another. Love you ladies to the moon and back for being here!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580

Katyblu - I hope the pet scan is approved soon and your doc can figure out the source of the pain. Hopefully, it will be easily treatable, and you'll be right as rain soon.

Mara - very interesting article about honeybee venom. I hope they test it on estrogen positive breast cancer, too.

Candy - you could probably contact the credit card companies to change your due dates to a time that suits you better, or helps you remember. I should do the same thing because the 3 we have are all within days of each other, and I would prefer to pay them all at once. I am also a big fan of auto pay for utilities and other subscriptions like netflix. Another thing you could probably do is set up autopay for the minimum payment on the credit cards as sort of a safety net, then pay the balance each month. So if you forget to go in and pay the balance, at least the minimum payment was sent and you won't get a penalty fee. I don't spend as much time paying bills as I did many years ago when the only option was to write a check and mail it. I am very happy with autopay.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

I do have the option of autopay. But I still like doing the "write a check and mail it" thing. I don't think I want "autopay" for everything. Mortgage, utilities, phone, internet, credit card, newspaper subscriptions, insurance premiums, etc. I want to see the bills, review them for discrepancies, and send in a check. Also, then I know if I have the funds in the bank account to cover the bills I am sending in. If I autopay, and they deduct from my accounts, what if I overdraw? I need to keep enough in the account to cover the autopays.

So I made a list of all my bills and when they are due each month so I do not forget one and not send it in.

I just feel so foggy headed anymore. Cannot juggle everything any more like I used to. Frustrating.

Just wondered if you all have that issue. Is it the stress of the cancer diagnosis, or the side effects of the meds we take?

• micmel

for me I think it’s both Candy!!!! Totally brain fog from the chemo

• illimae

Candy, I get forgetful too and still struggle with some chemo brain. I set up auto pay for utilities because I have forgotten before and it’s a pain in the butt to have power or water cut off but I pay mortgage and credit card online each month with the help of reminder emails. I only use checks for the lawn guys and cabin property owners taxes and fees (tiny town not set up for modern tech).

Today I’m treating myself to a burger and Jaws marathon on TV. DH is at the cabin getting it ready for Thanksgiving with good friends who also bought property down the road. This has been an annual tradition for years and is so much better now that we are no longer using tents.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580

Candy - oh, yes, making sure the money is there is important. I totally get that. Mae mentioned email reminders from the credit card companies as a good reminder. Also you probably receive bills in the mail so that's a prompt, too. I also like to review the charge to see what I am paying for so that's a good point.

As far as brain fog, I don't think it's hit me, yet. I haven't been on Ibrance all that long so maybe unclear thinking is around the corner for me. I hope not, though. One thing that could help your brain is Vitamin B-12 if your level is low. If you have cut back on meat and dairy but don't supplement with B-12, you could be low.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Mae - that sounds amazing! Enjoy! I can't remember if I ever saw Jaws.

• illimae

Emac, what?! Jaws is a must! I’ve seen it easily over 100 times, you could say I’m a super fan. I have the T shirt, did the walking tour in Edgartown where it was filmed and floated at Jaws on the water in July. I highly recommend add to your watch list.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

I have horrible memory problems. Aside from obvious early dementia, other causes are sleep apnea (having a test on Friday - PCP says that if that’s the cause, improvement will be in 6-8 weeks). My newly discovered pernicious anemia, which has been ongoing for some time based on labs), can also cause memory issues. So it will interesting to see if either sleep apnea or the anemia are contributors,

• Kikomoon

I don't know about memory problems but i asked my dr to test vitamins when I was so tired and my D was way low. She put me on super dose of vitamin D for a week and now I take supplements and try to get sun everyday.

Mae- love Jaws too, we always put it on when it's on tv. We watched Dr. Sleep last weekend. I think I'm the only person on the internet who didn't like it. Now I LOVE The Shining movie but haven't read the books so maybe that's why, but I felt the new characters just came out nowhere and the tie in was a stretch.

• micmel

loved sleep doctor. Love jaws. I’m watching it right now

• illimae

I liked doctor sleep too but I viewed it as a new side thing, rather than a sequel.

Also watching Jaws, I’m on to #2 now of an all day marathon 😁

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Love, love, LOVE JAWS. I have a JAWS poster on the freezer in my garage. My DH claims that I can recite the lines from entire scenes from the movie. He's probably right.

On another note, I heard back about my brain MRI from this morning. Nothing new to report. Glad to hear it. That's one thing off my mind (no pun intended, but hey, laugh if you want to).

Trying to get my Ibrance refilled. I think the hold up is with the insurance. Sigh...

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Sunshine- Woohoo on the stable MRI.

• Kikomoon

Sunshine - good news for your brain scan!

Watching Coherence now, it is a pretty good low budget sorta thriller/drama about a dinner party. About to make a salad and falafel wraps.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 223

Sunshine, great news about your MRI! Glad you got that behind you.

Thank you ladies, I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts and advice. I have my PET scan scheduled for 22 November. Hopefully they’ll figure out what’s going on. In the meantime I’ll just work with my pain medication and palliative care doctor.

I love Jaws! It’s a great movie! This weekend my DH and I watched the Scream movies and Beetlejuice. I love Halloween movie time!

I hope you ladies are doing well. As always, I’m sending out happy thoughts

• micmel

Yay sunshine!!!

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Great news Sunshine!!!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,460

Great news Sunshine!

Candy, brain fog for me is definitely a combo of stress, MBC and drugs we get. Not sure if my brain rads are also to blame.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,460

Having a weird issue with food lately, not sure if I should be concerned or not, am going to mention to MO since I have an appointment. I have found over the last couple weeks that I am unable to eat as much as usual. I do not feel sick or without an appetite but find it unusual for me. Especially with all the walking I do. I have cut alot of the junk food and am unsure if it is all the protein I get per meal or what. I still need calories so will split meals in half which were not huge and see about eating the first half, waiting an hour and eating the second half. Not sure what is up, and again, don't feel sick or anything. I could only eat half my breakfast which was a cup of beans with some feta and a sprinkling of wheat bran. I did put a bit of crumbled feta and a tablespoon of mayo. Used to eat bigger than this.

Am I crazy to be worrying or am I just changing the way I eat. Any advice or similar experience would be helpful. I'll check back after I get home probably later this afternoon

• illimae

DH sent me this from the cabin this morning.

Sunrise above the clouds

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,167

Beautiful, Mae!