Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,460

My goodness, I wish we had an IKEA in town, that would be fantastic. Never have been to an IKEA, perhaps after I pay off the payment plan on my updated dryer, I will ask my brother to take me out, they may have more storage solutions that are attractive and not boring looking.

I skipped out on shopping with DB last night, I was exhausted by the worry and upset both for the results but also because getting to where I needed to be was frustrating. The normal office in the cancer center got flooded by a burst pipe so they had to move the RO office to another part of the hospital. I could find the zone E where they were but it only said rm 300 which should mean it is on the 3rd floor, got chased out by the people there. Finally was told it was in rm 300 on the fifth floor. Needless to say, many tears of frustration were shed much longer than needed and better instructions should be provided to patients.

I am not walking today, rest day I think which is fine. Just doing laundry, housework, surveys etc. I tried out the Amazon same day delivery on baking soda which I use a lot of. Same day is newer for my area, so I will see what I think of it. I am also feeling better about the scan and decided to change my thinking to no worrying if now symptoms, if any develop, then I will worry. Only way I will survive mentally besides walking

In pockets for anyone who need them with nachos, loaded with black beans, shredded cheese, 4 kinds. jalapenos, salsa, queso AND sour cream.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Mara, that's the attitude I take, not to worry until it happens. My ct scan has been postponed until the 19th November because they did one last Sunday and it would be too soon to measure any improvement. The pneumonitis is starting to clear slowly.

Laurie, I hope the new is working for you, in your pocket on the 5th for your petscan, your little rescue dog is so cute.

I'm going to spend the day with Beck and Finn tomorrow, I've really missed them.

Hello Tanya, Mel, Moth, Karen emac, goldens and all of the visitors to Mel's living room.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Wow, mara, sorry about your ordeal trying to find the right zone. I think I'd be in tears, too

Had lunch with two friends yesterday. We sat out on our front porch. It was so lovely to catch up. One friend has been dealing with her DH's health issues. The other just lost her husband to a brain tumor in January. A few years earlier, she was diagnosed with BC, then his brain tumor was found. They were actually in the process of beginning a divorce, but put that on hold. She's doing well, but my other friend looks exhausted. Life is just so hard sometimes...

Regarding IKEA, our neighbors recently bought a bed there for their Air B&B. It came in about 20 boxes and had about 3,000 little dowels to put the parts together. (OK, not really). It was supposed to take a few hours, but took them all day. Apparently IKEA will assemble it for you. I can't remember how much they charge, but I think it would be worth it.

We just upgraded our TV and since I'm apparently a "Total Tech Member" at Best Buy, they came and installed it. We had the old one on a super sturdy mount and all the wires run behind the wall. It took two guys a couple of hours, but they got it done. Now, we're upgrading our sound system (sounds fancy, but it's really not) so we bought that stuff and Geek Squad is coming back next Thursday to install that, and hook everything up. We ditched cable a few years back (I exchanged it for a housekeeper who comes every other week), so I use Sling TV to watch my Hallmark movies. That and Amazon Prime Video keeps me entertained.

I'm sort of the techy person in our marriage, and I actually like the puzzle of trying to figure out which wire goes where. My husband kind of laughs at all the puzzle games I play on my iPhone, but hey, look how it pays off.

Today's big quandary is should I walk to Vons today to get Halloween candy or wait until Sunday? I'm actually not a big candy eater, so that's not the issue. I just don't feel like going to the store today. I guess I could wait until Sunday. We don't get a huge amount of kids so I usually have candy left over and it sits in the cupboard.

Happy Friday, everyone.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Mara- a rest day would be perfect especially after your ordeal yesterday. If you go to Ikea they have a way of making sure you see every department like going down the yellow brick road! I've gone in with wanting a couple of things and come out with a bag full! They definitely will have lots of storage ideas for you.

I wish I was techy person or had one at home! My friend is very handy so we just call her.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

moth: do you go to the one off the Lougheed or the one in Richmond. I love their sections with the candle, dishes etc.

As for IKEA, the man who is renovating our kitchen also does "small jobs handyman" stuff. He got hired to put together a piece of IKEA furniture. He made me feel a whole lot better about my assembling skills. He thought it was a nightmare of so many screws and nails and boards and lousy instructions and he is a professional cabinet builder.

mara: I am so sorry the news was not better. I hope not jumping on it immediately and waiting another three months might mean it is not so bad. I admire your walking. I have the energy but not the inclination.

• mara51506

Thanks everyone, yes a rest day is in order and I am enjoying it, hopefully it is nicer out tomorrow so I can walk up to the mall for more queso, it is cheaper there and would be nice to have a long walk. As far as IKEA goes, after I pay off the new dryer, I will definitely start looking online at the website first to get a good idea of what I am looking for. Thinking another white cabinet with doors on it so the living room looks less busy.

Elderberry, as much walking as I do, it is a struggle to feel like doing it. If I do a walk then it is easier to want to do a second but sometimes I really have to kick my own butt to do a walk. It is always good after it is done but I struggle with the same resistance as a lot of other people.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

Elderberry, the Lougheed one. I need to go back. It was just a quick look see but now I'm getting a shopping list together lol

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

you guys. Christmas is coming quickly. Where did this year go. Hello to all!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,714

So, DH just finished visiting with our friend in the hospital and he’s now out of ICU, can make some brief statements. He’s able to communicate yes and no and said “hi brother” and “I will get through this” to DH, which is big progress so far.

Last Saturday, we started a diabetic meal plan consisting of 5 days low calorie Mediterranean recipes and 2 days of restricted (nearly fasting) foods. DH’s blood sugar is down more that 30 points and he lost 6 lbs. I lost 10.

Since DH is away for the weekend, I’ll be full of popcorn and horror movies tomorrow, yay!

• mara51506

That's great Mae, enjoy your popcorn and movies. Glad to hear DH's friend is recovering as well! Good job on the weight loss.

• illimae

I hate to do this but must share. Thank you mods for letting us know.

Philly was murdered by cancer. RIP

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Oh no, I have no words. Mae, thank you for letting us know

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

So sad. I hate this disease.

RIP, Brenda... (AKA, LovefromPhilly)

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Oh no. 😢 Crying. 😢 It seemed like so recently she was her happy self here. 😢

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

RIP Philly, a shining light taken too soon.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,952

I’m so sorry about Philly. I have no words. Thank you for letting us know, Mae

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

sad news. Thank you Mae.

Tanya

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,052

Ladies~ it’s why I’ve been kinda quiet and not as active. This loss runs deep. She and I became close. It was a harsh reality how fast this took her from us. She fought so hard. Always with a smile. I adore you my sweet friend. Sweet friend. You’re an angel now.

• mara51506

I am saddened to hear about Philly's passing. It did not seem that long ago she popped in here and now she is gone. My condolences to her family and friends, in her real life, and her social life here and on other social platforms. I am sure she touched many lives and her loss will be felt deeply. Gone too soon.

• elderberry

To All: I posted elsewhere but I am so saddened by her passing, It just came so fast. Another bright light extinguished.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Oh no !!!

RIP LovefromPhilly (aka Brenda).

• candy-678

I said I would continue the "pocket duty" list for this upcoming week of Nov 1. But my heart is heavy over another sister's passing.

I will Edit and add names as you post your appts/scans for this upcoming week----

Kittykat- Ortho doc appointment for consult on the fractured arm---Monday

Candy- Palliative Care appointment-- Tuesday

Sunshine99- Brain MRI-- Tuesday

Booboo- PET-- Friday

• illimae

Candy, we all understand and thank you but please never feel obligated to maintain a list. If there are weeks that your not up to, I’m happy to help. A weekly list is much more manageable, so just let us know and we’ll get it done when needed.

I’ve got dark chocolate and wine for all.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 724

Such heartbreaking news. Mae - I love how you called it murder. Gave me a whole new perspective of this 🤬disease. Love you my friends🤗🤗

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Condolences to Phillys family and friends. Another life taken by this "serial killer". We are in this club together but a club nobody wants or should have to join. My thoughts are out to everyone.

• illimae

Goldens, I don’t like “lost their battle”, we have little control and it’s not a fair fight. Cancer is a terrorist.

I used some pay from MBC surveys and studies to buy myself the totally unnecessary items I can’t justify using the household budget on and I’m super excited. One was a beautiful but expensive new coat. I have several coats but this one is a vintage inspired multi colored tweed. I also bought myself a crown, lol

• mara51506

Mae, you gotta do what feels good, you are lucky for the studies on MBC. Have never come across one for Canadians here but that is OK. Spend your money on what you enjoy.

I did kind of the same thing. Ordered a few things from Costco. Last two orders were cancelled because I wanted litter, it is so cheap and works very well. I bribed the shopper by saying I would add another 10.00 to his tip if he could get me the cat litter. Even with the additional tip, I got a good haul. Canned chicken that I can do stuff with. Getting tired of the same thing all the time, need to add more to the mixed and the canned meat will last longer. If bribing them will help with the cat litter, I will do it since it is 50lbs. Save older DB from having to go there for me all the time when his daughter usually wants a weekly trip too and not on the same day.

• elderberry

candy; We all appreciate your pocket duty but cut yourself some slack.

mae: thank you for offering to do pocket duty when candy is taking a break.

I had my PET on Oct 22. It was great! No new worries. However, I am due for an MRI because the PET showed up "a weird anomaly" (that was my MO's term) in my upper left arm bone marrow. He says he's never seen a anything like that, doesn't think it is significant but wants to check it out. He's pretty much seen everything. . I think if it was bone mets they should have shown up as "bone mets" etc on the PET. Of course, I went to Dr. Google to look up disorders of bone marrow and got a list of scary things. Most of them said a tip off was elevated Alkaline Phosphatase. I had blood work done yesterday prior to my infusion on Tuesday and my AP was well within normal range. That was a first. It has always been a few numbers above the normal range.

About two weeks ago I told my DH that my upper left arm felt like I had had a vaccine and was getting the mildest reaction. Now of course - all I can do is notice it.

Maybe I was abducted by space aliens who did an experiment on me Ha ha ha. But now I have a new anxiety to fret over.

Have a Happy Hallowe'en everyoine.

One of the things I miss about working was all the left-over mini-chocolate bars my colleagues brought in the day after. Always looked for the Mars bars.

• illimae

Elderberry, congrats on the good PET 🎉

• candy-678

Elderberry- Woohoo for the great PET results. Hopefully the abnormality in the upper left arm is nothing and the MRI will be negative. Do you have an MRI date yet?

I am ok. Just reading about Philly was another hit. We all know that when we hear of one of us being "murdered" by cancer, it just makes us think. We all try so hard. I have been feeling so sick from the Lynparza. Lost weight. No appetite. Fatigue. And is it worth it? Yes, I am getting more time. But the end result will be the same. If only all this we go thru would CURE the cancer. But NO. And I have not went thru half of what others have.

I just am grieving my old life. Career. Finances. Health. Not thinking of death all the time.

Keep the names coming. I will update the list as needed.