Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,456

Mel, sorry to hear about your stomach pain, I hope it clears up soon for you.

Mae, those puppies are very cute, looking forward to seeing them grow up.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Mel,

That ugly bug is going around everywhere. I am doing all I can to avoid it. It is thankfully short-lived. My peeps only had it for two days. Hoping yours only lasts that long.

Mae, I almost can’t look at those adorable pups. I miss my boys so much. Hopefully, DH will be coming to see me soon and bring them. That was the hardest part about leaving FL (sorry DH). My niece has 2 Goldens, so they give me some of the doggie love I miss. Mae, those little babies are very lucky to have you as their Mama.

I am going to see my MO this week and get the results of my CT scan. I’m not expecting great news, but am anxious to hear what she says. My biggest struggle right now is eating. I just don’t have any desire to eat—anything. If anyone has a suggestion for increasing their appetite, I’d love to hear it

Happy Palm Sunday to all of you precious ladies.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

BevJen- Interesting about the "skeletal survey". Maybe I will check into that. Yes, I had a nuclear bone scan.

Rosie- That is what got me sending messages to my MO nurse. The "what if I don't have cancer and these last 4 years have been a dream". But, I did look up my PET report from 2017-- I have copies of my scan reports-- and it says "lytic lesion C2 with SUV 5.3 consistent with metastatic disease". And I had an 8cm lesion in the liver that we biopsied. So I do definitely have MBC. But, for a second, I thought I was misdiagnosed. But maybe my pains now are more arthritic/degenerative and not cancer related. And my MO nurse said the bone scan report sounded like no ACTIVE cancer, since I have been on treatment for 4 years. That the treatment is working on the bone mets.

Mel- Sorry you got the stomach bug. Drink lots to prevent dehydration and rest. Hugs.

Living- I have RA and Sjogrens. I have never been diagnosed with fibromyalgia but I wonder. I am seeing a new rheumatologist May 31 and I am interested to hear what she has to say about all this. I am bringing CD images of all these reports.

Mae- I have not had a biopsy of my bone mets. But they did biopsy my liver mets---twice actually, in 2017 and 2021.

Pocket duty list for week of April 10---

Rosie- Ortho check Tuesday

Booboo- MO visit and CT results

Anyone else?

• mara51506

I am not doing too much today, made some washing soda, really nice to have two ovens to be able to double up on it. Looking into making scent crystals for my laundry as well. I am also organizing under the bed storage and disposing of things I really do not need that I held onto. found an extra container and a lot of cat hair to vacuum out as today goes on. Also want to take the broken washer out of my front closet so I can store more out of season jackets and shoes in there. I am also going to move shelving in the living room forward so I can put my mobility cart in there as I am not convinced the closet will fit it. It is awkward in the bedroom. I am also contemplating some dryer maintenance soon to make sure no lint gets into the system. That is what killed the previous one. Using it as a night table right now but might reuse it to spin stuff on cold. I can soft towels well still.

Also think I want to convert an existing chair into an overall scratching post by purchasing sisal rope and stapling it into the chair itself whilst leaving the back and cushion as somewhere they can sit. I think this would be inexpensive to do and encourage the cats to pick somewhere else, have to be creative in a tiny space I think. I have had no success with the prepurchased stuff from Amazon. Make the sisal look deliberate and it would look decorative, especially with the blankets there. Almost like a mini cat tree.

• mara51506

Well, I am really tiring myself out but decided to clean out under my bed. It has a lot of storage space underneath and I keep a lot of stuff there but I am less than the best about cleaning out the dustbunnies, fur and such. I dust surface stuff and remove fur from my bedding but decided to go through and reorganize stuff, toss other stuff I do not use. I get very tired so I wind up taking a lot of breaks. Using a broom to get the worst out and will have to start using my long handle duster on a more regular basis. I am also trying to find a place for my walker, guess I should not have asked for it when I was falling more often as I do not use it. Clearing out boxes in front of my living room closet, clearing out the old broken portable washer and moving jackets and recycling in the closet as the walker does not fit. Work in progress on all fronts I suppose. No walking needed in this case.

Edited to add, exhaustion has halted work beyond my bedroom, am reorganizing stuff under there and will dispose of anything not needed anymore. Realized how much baking soda I purchased which was much larger than I remembered. That is both good and bad since it informs me not to buy too much in future. I am also utilizing my bed posts to keep some stuff hung there, stuff I need to use. My revised goal for end of day is to put stuff back under my bead. The other stuff will come albeit a little slower than I thought.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

Mara, it sounds like you got a lot done, so I can understand why you're so tired. I hope you get good rest tonight.

Mel, I hope you feel better soon.

Mae, hope to see the pups tomorrow. I'll be able to come to meeting for about an hour. They are so cute.

Booboo, in your pocket for scan.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

sunshine- our green smoothies usually have kale and/or spinach, maybe an apple, banana, and we add almond butter and swap out any juice for almond milk so less sugar. I got DH eating them on the road in between not-so-healthy dinners.

So nice to read about everyone having a good time with kids both young and grown!

Reporting for pocket duty for Rosie and booboo. Hoping all with stomach bugs get better fast. We don’t need that!

Mara you are inspiring me to clean! Maybe tomorrow haha. Not much going on here. Got some tasty Indian food, very spicy though. Doing a bit of work on end of life spreadsheet. Kinda morbid but makes me feel better to know things are laid out as best as possiblefor DH.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

Hello Ladies ~ tummy is a little better! Doozy for sure. I so need to overhaul my diet.DH loves smoothies he uses:

Grapes

Blue berries

Carrots

1/2 Orange

Broccoli

Kale

Spinach

V8 Healthy Greensdiet.

Been having gastrointestinal issues myself . Such a pleasure for sure. Cancer. And it's meds! Ugh! Hope all is well I can’t do the smoothies but he swears by them

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Hi KBL,

I had the scan last week, but am waiting for the results. Thank you for being in my pocket for the discussion with my MO. I hope she does not get mad at me because I was supposed to have a bone scan today, but I could not see a good reason to have it if I’m not going back into treatment. We’ll see.

Mel, glad you are feeling better.

Mara, God bless you girl. You are making me tired just reading all of your activities. Good for you.

Hugs to all the rest.

• mara51506

Laurie, great to hear from you, hugging you back just as tight!

Mel, glad you are feeling better.

I used to take frozen fruit and add to a Ninja Blender I had back at the condo. Not sure where it would fit in this smaller kitchen if I got a new one. If I did have one, frozen fruit and Mio water flavour together were just lovely.

I am still organizing whilst doing my activities to make some money. One of my favourites is watching cute cooking videos on my fire tv. You get paid when ads play and I actually like the videos which is nice.

Breakfast may include a hashbrown, beans and english muffin to get them used up. No real exciting seasonings I do not think, we will see. Considering the loaded fries seasoning possibly. Continuing to break down boxes that have piled up from amazon deliveries. Not order as much stuff from there so I will be able to at least keep up with keeping that area clear. Under the bed is to be dusted out at least once a week and surface dusting is already always done.

In everybody's pocket needed for tests or just because they are dealing with treatment SE or illness or whatever. I hope you all have a good day!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

mara, your meal sounds really good!

Candy, I'm sorry about all the confusion. I have an MRI scheduled for my right hip and I asked if it could please include my femur. Bone scan (nuc med) showed stable, but I feel like there is something going on with that hip and femur. I hope my MO okays the femur, too.

mel, I'm sorry about your stomach bug. No fun at all!

mae, those pups are wickedly adorable!

Waving to the rest of you lovely ladies!

Carol

Edited to add: My MO okayed the MRI to include the femur. Yay.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Mara- reading about your reorganization I too am planning to organize my pantry and bedroom closet. I ordered a bunch of pantry containers because it is a mess. I've been watching Home Edit on Netflix so it's got me moving to get it done.

Sunshine- hoping your MRI will give you some answers regarding your hip and femur

Mel- glad you are feeling somewhat better. I have the same gastric problems because of the meds. I feel like a balloon that I just want to give a pin to and let the "air " out.

Booboo- I do hope you had a good discussion with your new MO

Saying hello to all!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

I had an appointment with my oncologist this afternoon but radiology hasn't reported on my CT scan so it wasn't very useful. She booked my Trodelvy for Thursday. She said so long as the scan results are either good or mixed response then we will continue. Dh came with me to the appointment- first time since covid, so that was nice.

• mara51506

Moth, glad you had company for your appointment. I've not seen a change in our cancer centre yet.

• mocogram
    mocogram Member Posts: 94

Mara,

All of your recent cleaning and reorganizing inspired me to clean the bedroom yesterday. Dusted, washed every surface, including blinds, which were really dusty. Took down three sets of curtains to launder and hang back up. Lots of climbing up and down stepstool. Knees hurt a bit this morning, but it was worth it. Will rest today and tackle other rooms another day.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

I'm such a geek. I'm super excited because I just bought an O Cedar spin mop. My housekeeper comes every other week and I've been wanting to get her a new mop. I texted her a photo of this one and she said she loves that one and uses it at home. It saves her having to hand wring the mop and the micro-fiber thingys can be thrown into the washer.

Carol

• mara51506

You are not a geek, that is the kind of stuff that excites me as well. Getting oxyclean or baking soda which I use in the wash floats my boat too.

Just ordered a ton of food from instacart, I always order from Walmart since the prices are the same as what is in the store. Got some different things. Canned potatoes, corn, mushrooms and lots of pinto and chick peas as well. Got garlic spread that I can add as a milder taste. Really got a lot of stuff that will probably last more than a month I think. I also got some canned sliced mushrooms as well. They can fit in the freezer. In the future, if I can figure out how to get a larger freezer in here, I would consider getting one as I do like most things frozen. Walmart is still a lot less expensive than where I normally shop.

Bought a vegan fajita bowl with peppers, black beans, vegan chicken, white rice and salsa. Just had to microwave it. You know me, had to put my own stamp on it. Added some parmesan seasoning along with a bit of garlic powder, sprinkle of wheat bran to turn up the fiber and a dollop of mayo to help incorporate the dry ingredients. This served as brunch but probably only cost 400 cals for something so good.

• moth

Still no word about the CT scan results.

I booked my covid booster (4th shot) for tomorrow.

I think I'm going to try to get some chores done now & try to keep from going squirrely. We have some other issues happening too so it always seems like I'm hopping from one stressful thought to another. Ugh, hate that

• mara51506

Oh Moth, so sorry you are having more than one stressor at the same time. It is hard to deal with more than one stress at a time. I hate that myself and my life is less complicated than I would imagine yours is. Hope the chores take your mind off stuff for sure.

I did manage some tetris to fit the frozen stuff in the freezer. Needing to put cans in the kitchen by clearing out my cupboards of dishes I will never use, will donate and move some of the cans in there. I also want to take a broken portable washer out at some point today as well. Want to possibly use the front closet for food storage as a sort of quasi storage cabinet as I don't have many jackets in there.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Had my second (and last!!) follow up with my ortho surgeon who operated on my spine in Feb. I’m cleared for any exercise I can tolerate and will try going back to my water exercise class tomorrow morning. It feels great to be in the water and I also enjoy seeing the other ladies and our instructor. So exercise plus social time. I’ve missed it. I asked him about the weird feelings I get of rods to the sides of the scar or a stick in my center back and he said it’s very common for post-surgery patients to have sensations or numbness near the incision. He said the hardware is too deep to be felt but there were muscles stretched to place it so I’m probably feeling that. He said something about the “stick” being a bony process behind the scar but that’s all I remember. DH didn’t get that part either and it’s what I really wanted to know. (BevJen, I tried some massage to the sides of my scar and it feels like I’ve loosened up some already.). He thinks I’m significantly improved since last month and no need to come back unless I have a concern. He asked to be notified when next CT or MRI takes place.

Moth, waiting in your pocket for your results. Sorry you have other issues to worry about too.

• moth

My oncologist called - scans are not great. One new lesion in the lungs, another new one in the liver & something suspicious near a kidney as well. She's recommending doing another two cycles of Trodelvy & rescanning then. Ugh. Hate this disease.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,042

Sorry Moth-that sucks. It seems like you had some delays in treatment the past few months? I'm hoping that the Trodelvy didn't really get a chance to work yet and maybe will start doing its magic now.

• moth

chicagoan, thank you, yes. I had almost 6 weeks between the last treatment+scan & starting Trodelvy. Plus 2 of my 3 Trodelvy cycles were delayed by a week by low neutrophils. I'm on filgrastim now so these next 2 cycles should at least be on time.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Moth, I too wish it was better news. Perhaps it’s too early to tell with troldelvy, if memory serves, you started this recently, I think. Hopefully, a few more infusions will prove to be beneficial and shut that shit down.

I didn’t have to log in this time, I sure hope that glitch got fixed as it was my biggest peeve after the new site went live.

Just packing and hauling here with breaks to hang out with the pups, closing day is approaching quickly. Lots of credit to DH for dismantling the pool table, it’s quite a process.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Moth- Thinking of you as you got some not-to-good news. Hoping that the next couple rounds with Trodelvy will turn things around. Sorry to hear you are dealing with other things at the same time. Life is really hard sometimes. Hugs.

Rosie- Happy to hear you are doing well. And going back to water exercises. We have the ups and the downs. Glad you got an "up".

• mara51506

Moth, I am so sorry about the results of your scan and the new lesions. Definitely not the news you were looking for. Will stay in a special pocket sending out healing thoughts and extra strength if you need it.

Rosie, so glad you are doing well post surgery and getting back to your normal activity which is never a bad thing.

Mae, enjoy your hangout time with those pups and being so busy as well.

Mel, hoping your stomach is better today as well.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

Moth~thinking of you. Hopefully the added time will kick the medicine into working on those spots. I also hate this disease. I will send you so much love and good vibes. Unreal what we go through.

Mara, sunshine, Mae, Goldens,emac, Rosie , KBL,Candy,Chicagoan, bevjen, mocogram , pots! Hello to all if I have missed some I'll be back! Trying to kick this stomach bug. Holy Hannah.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341

Mel,

I had that stomach bug. It lasted basically a full week -- coming out both ends. I wish that you get away from it sooner rather than later. Good luck.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

Sunshine - in your pocket for scans - glad your MO could include the femur, since it's worrying you

moth - so sorry you didn't get better news from your CT scan. Hopefully it is just a slow start for the Trodelvy and your scans in two months will show improvements. I'm glad you got to have your dh with you. Mine was allowed at all my appts in Florida. I'm not sure where they stand at my new place. I guess I'll find out in a couple weeks. I hope your other stressors chill, too.

Rosie- great news from your onc ortho. Water exercise sounds fun and like something you can ease back into.

Mel - yuck-o to the stomach bug! That's just never any fun. I hope you get over it soon

Booboo - still thinking of you while you await your scan results - and hopefully you dodged the bug your family had.

Green smoothies - I used to make a smoothie with yogurt, frozen strawberries, almond milk, honey, and spinach. While you can't taste the spinach at all, I didn't appreciate the color, so I added a big spoonful of unsweetened Hershey cocoa powder! It wasn't quite the color of a chocolate shake, but not quite green either.

My daughter visited this weekend, so that was lots of fun. We went to a local winery for a tasting and live music. It was in an open air pavilion and the weather was perfect! We also got to have another pontoon cruise around the lake. :)

Then, my painter quit after he picked up my cabinets from the cabinet maker. He did the interior paint in the house and - apparently - it's "too much of a hassle" when your customers make you come back and paint places you missed, and clean up paint off light fixtures, windows, etc. My cabinet maker saved the day. He found another painter for us and will expedite the installation, so I think I will be able to get my counter tops on schedule next week.

I wore myself out weed whacking yesterday. I had to stop and rest several times, but I got it all done. At least the weather was nice again. :)

Waving to everyone else! 👋

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

Mel, I hope you feel better today.

BevJen, I had the bug you’re talking about. I will spare the details. It was awful.

Okay. So things are changing rapidly for me. My daughter is going to be having a house built. Her and her husband are going to sell their current house. My husband and I were going to let them live in the house we live in, and we were going to move to our other house 3.5 hours away. They’re not really ready to put my grandson in with other care yet, so we are going to try to live together. The poor thing is a little nervous, and I don’t blame her.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions for making it work? The way our house is set up, except for the kitchen, we can each have our separate spaces. We are going to put a curtain between the front of the house, their section, and the back of the house, our section. That way, if they need privacy, they can shut the curtain.

I’m kind of excited because everyone knows how much I love my grandson. He’s my buddy I just need to make sure I let his parents parent.