Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,456

Elderberry, very happy for your good PET scan, may it stay that way forever. I have thought about roasting, I currently microwave things that have been chopped and have crispy beans prepared in the breville, my favourite by roasting the canned beans I use. The veggies chopped up do offer me more choice, seasoning helps a ton as well. I will take what you say into consideration though.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Micmel, the cuteness is off the charts. So many pics have been taken too. They’re leaning quick for their age, monkey learned to climb the doggy steps to the bed (where we all hang out) and Pig is better a using the potty pad. Training is tricky at the moment since they’re too small to get down on their own but they tell us and we’re getting better at listening.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Hi All,

I’m having a CT scan today to determine where I stand and to see how much time I have left. I am very much feeling like the end is near. I can barely eat anything. I struggle with that the most. I’ve lost so much weight (30 lbs) over the last two months, and I’m trying to do what I can to stay positive. I am SO tired I can hardly move sometimes. I rest a lot but it never feels like enough. I’ll keep you posted on what my MO says about my status.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

Oh BooBoo ~ I’m wrapping you in a loving hug. Heavy chest and all. 💕 I was worried.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Booboo, I'm holding you in my heart, love from Kitty.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Elderberry- Woohoo

Booboo- Oh my, my sweet friend. I thought that with your move you were starting over, so to speak, and would do ok for a while.

I am so tired of cancer. A church lady called me last night. I get cards from her from time to time too. She is 88 years old. She has told me before that there is a lot of cancer in her family. Last night she said she had a sister with cancer. Died at 96 years old. 96!!!! Oh to live that long!!! My sister died of MBC at 58 and I am 51 now. "Cancer" is such a broad term. And there are so many grades of it. Yes, maybe her sister did have cancer, and I don't know her story, but, good grief..... We have lost so many here in the prime of their lives. If we could live to 96 we would be grateful.

• mara51506

Laurie, I am so sorry to hear this, somehow I fooled myself into thinking you would keep going longer. Glad you did get quality time that you could enjoy but again am gutted that it could be so near. Wrapping you in a hug too! Staying in your pocket as long as needed.

Interesting email from property manager company. I already had a fireman last week come in and inspect smoke alarm so to have another visit this week is suspicious but I am going to stay home and see what is what. It just may be another please get out of the apartment, if so, I will refer them to my brother as always. Not panicked at all as the tenant board is backed up even if I had to try and fight it. We will see.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Booboo, Thinking of you and hoping you’re not in pain. If you are, I hope it can be managed by your MO or even hospice. I’m glad your sisters are near you now. Wishing you comfort and peace always.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Elderberry, Great news on your scan! Yippee!!

Candy, Is Weds. your MRI results day?

Moth, in your pocket on Friday.

I had my first chemo infusion yesterday. It went fine and so far I feel pretty normal. We’ll see what develops when the premeds wear off. I’m able to have my chemo at my local site rather than the downtown campus where my MO is based. The nurse had to make a few calls and computer messages for questions but she was very nice and said it was nothing big. Im very glad that I’m finally back on treatment. Soon I’ll be back to hoping my labs are ok for the next treatment and that my body is tolerating the drugs, as many of us do.

Hello Everyone! 👋

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Elderberry- yay for stable PET scan!!

Sunny beautiful day today. Everyone digging out from yesterday's snow.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Booboo- I too have wrapped my arms around you with love and prayers. I'm glad you are with your loving family.

Mae - just look at those puppies eyes and ears - too cute!

Rosie - glad to hear you are starting your chemo treatments again. May your body tolerate the drugs with little side effects

Mel and Kittykat - waving a special hello to you

Candy- my grandmother got cancer at 90. All I kept thinking was I know she has lived a long life but cancer at 90, like really?! I guess we will never understand the "plan" but it is always so unfair.

• mara51506

I remember this older fellow in his late 80's or 90's who was not mentally there anymore being wheeled into chemo when I first started out. In his case, wonder if family decided to make him go or wherever he was being cared for. I always felt some sympathy for him as no one visited with him for the hours he received chemo. It is rough to think about.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

booboo, I'm so very sorry. I'm sending you gentle hugs and lots of love.

Carol

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

booboo - sending lots of love

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

congratulations 🎊 elderberry.

Rosie I hope your treatment goes well. You must be relieved to start again.

Booboo I’m in your pockets for scans and results. I understand the fear I think we all do. May God make it easy for you. I’m glad you’re with your family I know how much that means to you.

Mae the monkey and piglet are such happy bouncing energy to have around.

Last night I saw a coyote while taking my grandsons home. They’re building a new development near them and they’ve probably been displaced. move been putting around the garden. So far one red pepper 🌶 harvested.

Sending hugs to the living room.

Tany

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

booboo: I had so hoped you would get many, many months of joyful, loving, living after moving. Wrapping my cyber arms around you.

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Booboo, I hope that you get the results of the CT scan quickly. I have been thinking about you since I read your message. I am glad that your MO ordered the scans so you will know the current status of the disease. You haven’t reported much about how you have been feeling lately. I hope you know that we are all here for you, and you shouldn’t hesitate to let us know all the updates, good and bad. I know that you made the decision to stop all treatment, but please accept what is offered to reduce any pain or discomfort you are feeling. Although you are comfortable with your decision, there might be times when you feel unsure or scared. I am praying for you and hoping you continue to experience days filled with joy. If you need to complain or vent or just share your thoughts or concerns, we are here for you surrounding you with love and virtual hugs.

Lynne

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,168

Rosie- Yes, tomorrow, Wednesday I get my MRI results (lumbar spine). I will see the spine ortho doc tomorrow also, to see what he can suggest for how to deal with what is found.

I had a bone scan today (my hometown). Ortho doc last week ordered it locally just to monitor the bone mets with all my joint pains. MO said that my bone mets are quiet on CT (CT chest and what bones are seen on that) and last PET and that she does not expect progression on the bone scan, but to go ahead and do the test. I will get a copy of the images to my MO for her to review also. The bone scan tech was talkative today. I told him of my arthritis on plain x-rays done with the ortho doc and won't that lite up on the bone scan? He said Yes, that arthritis shows on bone scans too. So I ask how they tell the difference in cancer and arthritis. He said arthritis is in the joints and cancer would be in the long bones. So it is a matter of WHERE the scan lites up to determine if inflammation or cancer.

Good grief Mara, for that man to be getting chemo and have to deal with all those side effects and to be that old and mentally gone. Why not just let him go? Quality versus quantity.

I know dying at any age is scary. And all life and all ages is precious. My Dad is 95 and his time is coming and I dread it. But, as my sister says, that is natural. Our sister dying at 58 of MBC was not natural, and not fair. So my mentioning the church lady's sister dying at 96 of cancer I didn't intend to be harsh. But if she would not have gotten cancer, nature would have gotten her soon from just her age. Know what I mean?

To lose Philly and others on here in their 40's, 50's, etc is just plain wrong.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,042

Thinking of you, dear Booboo. I'm glad at least that you are with your sisters during this challenging time. I pray that you will feel loved and well cared for. Like others, I hope you will have more time with your precious family.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

Booboo, I am also wrapping you in a warm hug. Please let us know what the CT says. My heart hurts.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

booboo - thank you for checking in an letting us know how you're doing. I'm so glad you are home with family where you feel happiest. When you're feeling tired or overwhelmed, you know one of us will be in your pocket, or wrapping you in a cyber hug, saying a prayer over you, or just holding your hand.

• micmel

thinking of all you ladies. Much love for you all!

Especially BooBoo on my mind and in my heart.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

booboo - praying for you - you have your real family and virtual family here to bring you comfort. Virtual hugs from Wisconson🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻.

• mara51506

Booboo, thank you for keeping us posted, I am also glad you are home with your family. Pocket duty without a doubt.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Dear Friends,

You have made my day with feelings of love and support. We are truly a unique group who have found each other due to Mel’s heartfelt post. I am forever grateful for that. I was supposed to fly today with my sisters to visit my youngest sister in TX, but I cancelled my trip. My travel days are over. And that’s ok. As you have all said, I am so, so fortunate and happy to be here with my family. They have been unbelievable—anything I need, they have provided. Even my landlord (silly to call them landlords…they are more like part of our family) has been taking care of me (leaving yummy treats for me when I’m at my sister’s house). I will not see my new MO until next Tuesday, so it is going to be a waiting game. Hopefully, I can stay busy until I know where I stand.

Anyway, I’m feeling mentally better than when I last posted. God is in control, and I am ok to let Him decide when my time is up.

Wishing you all a good day.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

booboo- I’m so sad to read of your struggles but happy to read this most recent post that you are mentally in a better place. I really hope the best for you ❤️❤️💐💐

Caught up on 67 new posts since last logging in, but BCO lost my place at some point and took me back to page 1 so I’m not sure what I missed.

Mae those puppers are adorable!!!
    We’re wrapping up a weeklong trip through Southern California desert trip ending in Las Vegas. Talk about 0 to 360 in the Covid world. I would say about 10% of people have been masked, maybe less. We always have n-95 on unless outdoors and not crowded. Gotta say- Las Vegas is not our scene, atleastnot the strip, but ate at some cool restaurants in the downtown and arts district which were more our speed. Indoor dining is still off limits for me. now for the flight home tonight. The flight out here was ok, but the airport wasa mess. At least everyone has to be masked (for now).

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Kikomoon, that’s a pretty nice trip. DH spent many adult years before and when we met in 29 palms/Joshua tree (I’m from the beach), different but still beautiful. Vegas in my 20’s was getting wasted on the strip and Fremont street but in my 40’s, it was seeing the flamingo’s and Hell’s Kitchen. Either time, a long weekend was enough but it’s been super fun for me as I am lucky with the slots and usually win (and go home with) $400-$800.

Not much new here except puppy stuff, potty training is going well and we’re both surprised by howsmart they are. After so many years of stubborn bulldogs, we forgot how quick others could/would learn.

• mara51506

Not much going on for me today, some cooking, laundry and garbage to be taken out along with my wee money making apps. Going shopping with DB as well, will like spend between 10 to 15 for shopping. Also want DollarTree to get laundry powder detergent. Use it to stretch powder Tide. Works just as well since I also add washing powder made by me and oxi clean as well.

Laurie, I am glad you are in a good mental place now and with your family. I am always in your pocket and virtually hugging you as well.

Mae, glad the pups are easily trained, makes life so much easier.

• micmel

Hello ladies.
    Mara~ I enjoy reading about your concoctions, or interests me. So don’t stop ! I am still not thrilled with this new set up. I’m sorry. But the old one let me stay signed on for days. It was easier to respond. I miss the flurry. The change wasn’t good for our little living room.

We are having storms. Which I love. Thunder. Calms me. Too much rain for April already. Lawn will need mowing soon. Everything is green. Allergies are also here. My mouth is starting to hurt again. It’s always something. Hope everyone is doing ok! Hugs

• mara51506

OK Mel, I will keep up the posts when I try something different. I did try toasting a buttered english muffin fairly crisp and then chopped it, mixed with a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, it was really good. I don't always like the english muffin but this made it feel like a good snack.

The shopping trip was mostly good until the topic of blood pressure in the family came up. My SIL said my aunt and mother had low blood pressure and I corrected saying they had very high blood pressure. My DB has high blood pressure partly stress but also genes on Mom's history. I said OK, we don't need to talk about it anymore, would be stupid to try to prove something different that someone believes. Waste of both persons energy. I patted her on the shoulder and she said don't touch me!. I was taken aback, she says it is due to covid but that rattled me. At the grocery store, kept my distance and got what I needed as I thought I would cry, I managed to keep it together because they are the only people who have helped me. I don't think anyone knew I was bothered by the interaction in the car. I will definitely take care not to touch her again. Perhaps might move to shopping every two weeks instead of weekly. I sometimes feel people make the assumption that my memory is flawed and it is actually really good but I also know I would not be able to change people's minds and I don't need to. Sorry to vent, just no one to tell about it. They do help me a lot and don't want to lose the only family I have. I just think I will make once every couple of weeks that we go out.