Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

Mae - such sweet pups ❤️🐾🐾❤️

Sf-cakes - what an idiot to shoot off fireworks. Would love to join the swearing party - very cathartic. I know some Polish swear words to add to the mix!

Hi to all

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,455

I'll add my french and spanish swear words along with the few Finnish words I know. People are really dumb for sure.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Hello all. Reading along here.

So, you all know how much I worry about germs/Covid and that I stay at home a lot-- too much I am sure. But I have not gotten Covid,,yet,, and even stay free of colds/etc. Today I was talking to a church lady friend and she is now going on a new med for her kidney issues. The med is an immunosuppressive. Her doc told her of needing monthly blood tests and warned her to stay away from sick people. She has not gotten her Covid booster yet, and does not plan to. Her doc advised her to get the booster, but she refuses. She is always on the go-- concerts, restaurants, church functions, etc. She said she intends to continuing living her life as always. She told me she MAY start wearing a mask to some activities, but not sure.

I know we each have to make our own decisions, and live with our choices. But it makes me seem even more extreme. She continues at church, while immunocompromised, while I stay at home. "Why is Candy not here? Look at ____, she is on meds and she comes".

I do hope my church friend stays healthy and can continue living her life. I guess it just makes me question my actions/lack of activity. P.S. I do get out SOME. I go to the Library for books, I went to the Dollar store for a few items the other day (I do main grocery shopping online with curbside pickup though). I DO NOT go to church services though, or eat in restaurants, or go to concerts.

• mara51506

I also ordered a rotary grinder, though normal for veggies etc, going to use it to grind up my bar and laundry soaps to supplement my landry detergent mix. Doing it by hand is a SLOW process. If it works well on the bars of laundry and regular soap, would consider a second one for food only and buy blocks of cheese instead of shredded. I believe it is less expensive.

Exercise wise, planning 10 minute walks on the treadmill post meals to keep up walking strength. I do hang on since my balance does stink and always has stunk. Once I am doing an hour throughout the day on the treadmill post meals, I think I will feel better. Small bits work as well as long bits.

• mara51506

Candy, you have to do what it is your comfort level. Other than long term care homes and my hospital, masking is no longer mandatory but I still mask up in indoor public spaces. Only time I am not masked is when eating at the hospital during Herceptin.

I do fully believe that you can and SHOULD get out, keep masked when inside. I understand that you are immuno compromised and that is a consideration but you also need to live your life. Yes, the other lady is not vaxxed and may not wear a mask, you stay far away. Getting out will do wonders for you. Staying in may make you feel safer but I think getting out would be better. Sanitize your hands, use an N95 mask as well. Not short on stock for those. It is doable. One step at a time.

Again, just trying to offer a helpful opinion and it is my own, end of the day, it's all up to you and what your comfort level allows.

Edited to add that I am a hermit a lot of the time, most exercise is indoors and do not have any real life friends I hang out with. I really have to boot my butt out the door, even just to take the bus to the mall to fit in some mall walking plus walking to and from bus stops besides the treadmill at home. I am not fearful of covid but definitely takes some major convincing to get me out the door, just to admire dogs being walked etc. That is the bulk of my social life besides the hospital.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Mae- the pups are adorable 😍 !!

Candy- people do whatever they want disregarding the health issues of others. Keep safe by slowly getting out there again.

SF CAKES- stupid people with fireworks! As I said people do whatever they want with no regard for the damage or consequences of their actions!

Saying hello to everyone 😊

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

Hi All,

Happy to report that my CT scan was stable. Thank goodness! After back to back fails I was a tad nervous about this one. While I would have liked to see regression, I’ll take stable and the bonus is my right kidney seems to be draining better (likely blockage from liver mets). Phew!

Anyone heard from Moth?

• mara51506

Glad the CT scan was stable, wonderful news.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Yay for stable 🎉

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

sadie: Yay for stable!!! Happy news.

SF-cakes: Did you see the SNL sketch with "I am stupid and I vote"? Those neighbours VOTE!! What the Hell were they thinking. Problem was they were not thinking. Stupid people don't think.

candy: Go out for walk. If there is no one around, carry your mask in your hand and breathe in air. I still mask up indoors and I am yet to go to a concert or a crowded pub.

No word from moth. Worried.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

moth did post on Instagram 16 hours ago. Her liver is improving, her emotions are all over the place, and she's scheduled for a blood transfusion on Sunday. Hope this is OK to share. I'll delete or edit it if I should.

Carol

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Woohoo Sadie!!!!

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

Great news Sadie! Happy dance for sure 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Sunshine- that is good to hear. I check on her Insta and thought it looked like she wasn't yellow anymore on her most recent post so something HAD to have been working (though I can't see them in full as I dont want to log in using Other Half's details).

Sadie - great news!

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Sadie- Stable is great news!

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

yay for stable. !

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Sadie’s , Great news on stable!

Sunshine, Thanks for the news on Moth. It’s good to hear of any improvement.

Mae, Love the pups!

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Sadie - Yay for stable

Sunshine - Thanks for the update on Moth. I have been thinking of her too

Had a lumbar/sacral MRI today. Not sure why as I just had a CT and a bone scan. Still stable. It shows the mets at S2 and my sacrum and basically my lumbar spine is a mess with bulging discs and severe stenosis at L4 and L5. That's probably why it hurts but there are no new mets and nothing that seems out of the expected so I am happy with that!

• mara51506

Great news Emac.

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421

Stable , Happy dancing for Emac and Sadiesservant \o/

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Sadie and Enac great news!

Tany

• mara51506

Wow, impressed with myself and my budgeting powers. I bought a few things at the grocery store, more beefless ground, got pizza sauce, figure that could be used with a pasta dish, spinach and actual sloppy joe sauce in a can, different types of beans as well. Was just over 20.00. Went over to the dollar store and got some plastic containers with lids so they are air tight, 4 of them and some mini chocolate, spent 13.00 which was a steal. I still have tons of beans to make multiple meals, working on using up eggs I have before buying more, using more beefless ground and pasta in caesar type sauce, just lots of yummy and inexpensive items. Most healthy, got a couple mini chocolates at the dollar store too. It was nice to see my older DB and SIL.

My new wellness check person is a super friendly lady who deals with a brain injury. She has a case worker to help her with things but lives in an assisted living apartment of her own, she is active daily and is even doing a walk to raise money for a brain injury place. I have actually been trying to force myself to do more as she has more to work through just to get stuff done. I really enjoy our short little chats and she is really nice. Glad they added me to her list of wellness check calls. She inspires me to do more than I think I can and I definitely need the motivation sometimes and am glad that she is around. I may have cancer but no real impairments except balance.

• micmel

great news emac. Yay!! I have my met at s2. Quite annoying to say the least.

Moth~any improvement is to be celebrated! Hugs to you sister.

• micmel

Mara ~ my balance sucks also. I’m way sensitive to falling. Scares me sometimes when I’m alone Or in the shower.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

denny - yes, the elliptical is primarily legs and arms. I really need to build some leg strength and maybe help my balance, which I think is related. I hope they had great chocolate for you.

sadiesservant and emac- yay for stable!!

Thanks for the update on moth. I know she said she tires to easily to update everywhere.

Today, we picked up the corn hole sets we ordered from a guy a few towns over. He makes the boards with whatever decoration you want; his wife makes the bags. Then, dh bought a (used) waverunner for the (grown) kids to use when they're here.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Emac - I get spine MRIs as MO can see what is going on in there (cancer vs non cancer) much better than just the CT. Welcome to the stenosis at L5 club! :P Im being sarcastic, obviously, because whats a messy lower back on top of spine mets. Ugh. But at least now you know and stable is stable!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071

Sadie and emac. I am happy for your good news.

Mel, Your painting are beautiful. It sounds like your children have grown into caring responsible adults. Congratulations on a job well done. I know it’s not easy.

Mae, I love you beach-bar-in-progress. You and your dh are very ambitious. I am exhausted just hearing about all you are accomplishing. Your puppies are SO CUTE! My 61 pound golden retriever thinks she is a little pup, too, and makes herself into a lap dog.

Mara, I love reading about all your recipes and adventures in the world. Do not overdo it in the heat. It is easy to be overcome quickly.

Moth, I hope your liver continues to improve and you begin to feel better.

Candy, You do venture out more than I thought you did. I know it must be lonely to be away from your friends and the job you enjoyed. The side effects of your treatment can make it even more difficult to cope with situations. We are all here for you. Don’t ever feel that you have nothing to share here. If you talk about a book you are reading or a tv show you have seen or birds in the yard or your treatments, we will find it interesting. I don’t go out much either, btw.

My TMs had been going down since I started on Ixempra in January. This cycle they jumped 130 points BOO! All my other blood test results looked good, so I am hoping the TM jump is of no significance. I return for blood tests,MO visit, and chemo on July 5. On a good note, I had cataract surgery on one eye on Wednesday. I had post op visit on Thursday. My distance vision improved from 20/60 to 20/25, and there could still be improvement as healing continues. I know it’s not cancer-related, but WOOHOO! I can watch tv without having everything look blurry, and I can read the text displayed on the screen. Best of all, I can drive again. What a difference!

Enjoy the weekend.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

my MO took me off Verzenio after some progression to liver and nodes. Bone mets stable.

Next week I will start Capecitabine (Xeloda). Fingers crossed this chemo kicks some cancer butt.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

Lynne, always lovely to hear from you but I’m sorry your TMs are being difficult! Let’s just say it’s a blip. Okay? How is the garden doing? Mine continues to evolve. Now it’s peony season which I love. Our cool spring has continued until now which has given us a longer than normal bloom time. The heat is coming this weekend though so I imagine many will fade. On the upside, my egg chair will finally get some use! I have my book ready and a bit of R&R is in order!

Dodgersgirl, Xeloda has been great for my liver mets. Last year it wiped them out almost completely. This time has been a bit muted but it’s a bit early to know for sure. Unfortunately, it seems to be equally hard on my marrow. Three rounds under my belt and my RBC numbers continue to worsen. Darn… stupid woosey blood. It will be interesting to see what my MO wants to do after six cycles as I don’t know how many times we can stop and restart with a decent response. But we’ll cross that bridge… In the meantime I intend to relish my summer now that I have freedom from work. 😊

Sending positive thoughts to everyone. Moth, hope you will pop in when you are up to it. Oh, and Mel, you are far more patient than I am with paint by numbers. I dabbled with them years ago and wasn’t patient enough to wait for colours to dry in between. I had a lot of melding from colours mixing. LOL.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

sadiesservant— hope your blood numbers increase.

On Verzenio my hemoglobin got down to 7.9 so MO was watching it. Being off treatment for a month, most blood numbers have rebounded and are almost normal (almost