Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

thanks everyone. Mara I will try those breathing exercises for sure next time. I think I needed a good cry. DH gave me a little whisky to help me relax tonight. I don’t drink that often at all. I can’t tell if it’s helping as I’m very tired. I just hope I don’t get like Kristen Wiig in Bridesmaids on the plane. Or maybe I DO hope. I am determined to stick to July’s budget which means I have busted out the spreadsheets, hence the offer of whisk.

Rosie I hope your clinical trial is working too.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

reporting for pocket duty for this week.

Kikimoon- hope MRI shows good things

Moth— if you are reading, hugs and hope your numbers are improving

BooBoo- hope the meds control the pain. It was great to hear from you. Sendings hugs your way

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

Kikomoon - signing up for pocket duty for the MRI. I think if we have to deal with this shit, everything else should magically be easy. Unfortunately, it just seems to make some things harder. It's really a raw deal. Don't be too hard on yourself. And sweet of your dh to try to help you chill a little bit.

Good to hear from booboo and Kittykat - even with the mixed news. Booboo, I hope you have a nice visit with your dh. Kittykat, I'm sorry you had COVID and that it disrupted your treatment, but glad to hear you're back on track.

Rosie - I truly hope the clinical trial is a great success with blessedly little SEs.

SF-Cakes - I just noticed your tag line and it made me laugh. Just right for today.

I was busy today. I painted over the wall texture I did yesterday and it all looks good, surprisingly. Hurray! Then, I put together new patio furniture - two rocking chairs and a side table for the main patio. I have one more bistro set coming on Thursday, and I think we'll be good for outdoor furniture. The kids start arriving Friday, so it's just in time.

I spent over an hour on the phone with AT&T and the situation is only part way resolved. I need to call again tomorrow or Tuesday (remember how I said everything else should just be easy? ::sigh::).

MO appt tomorrow. I already got my scan results - nothing to talk about there. Insurance denied two of the genetics tests after additional review, so we'll talk about that. What kills me is one of the denied tests is for the PIK3CA! It makes absolutely no sense. I'm medicare eligible in September, I think, so I may just wait. The lab says they're contracted with Medicare, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll believe it when I see it - Medicare plays from some of the same playbook as my insurance (federal). The bigger difference is the lab would handle the authorization request. (Everything else should just be easy!)

The best news I have is that our high for tomorrow is 84°F. That's about 20° less than yesterday, and at least 10° less than today. Woohoo!

Waving around the room to everyone else! :)

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Pocket duty for Kikomoon. I'll bring some pound cake and strawberries. Good to hear from KittyKat and BooBoo. I'm sorry to hear you all have been struggling. I can empathize with not wanting to take the pain meds. I am always being told by my MO and his PA to take my meds more often. I think I just don't want to build tolerance or end up adding to my fatigue levels. I wait too long and then it's harder to get the pain under control.

The discussion about peanut butter made me laugh. Not sure if anyone is watching Season 4 of Stranger Things on Netflix. It's a little heavier on the horror and less sci/fi this season for sure (just as a heads up). In several episodes though one of the main characters eats Jiff Peanut Butter straight from the jar. I can relate.

No major pocket duty needed this week. I should be good for scans and MO appointments for a few months. I have my monthly lab draw and Xgeva/Faslodex injections on Thursday but that's it.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Best of luck Kikomoon - I've also had many a meltdown over dumb stuff, or been snappy at OH when hes asked some basic, innocent question and had to apologize. It almost always comes back to worry on the slow burn (or major burn) and anxiety over symptoms or results. He understands but I dont like being like that.

Mara - I appreciate the breathing exercise!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Sorry I am coming in late to the conversation. I did not log on to BCO as much yesterday, no real reason.

Kikomoon--- Pocket duty for Tuesday's MRI and Wednesday's RO appt. I added you to the LIST, but I know it is hard for people to scroll back to the Sunday posts since the site is so messed up. I was wanting to make that list on Sundays so we could scroll back and check the list as the week progresses.

Not much this week for me. Haircut Tuesday morning. Online grocery shopping/curbside pick up later in the week. Today is cooler-- 80's. By Wednesday supposed to be near 100 again.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

Sfcakes ~you sweet woman. I’m wrapping you in a hug. You’re so special to us here.

• micmel

Hello to Mae~ haven’t seen her in a bit.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,455

Candy, it is cooler here too. Planning to walk outdoors at some point. I think you have the same weather a day or two ahead of us here in London.

I have been window shopping on Amazon. Found a really nice vileda broom that goes in corners and has a foam part that collects pet hair. Just going to earn money and take 10.00 off the cost. Will replace dollar store broom. I really think I am showing my age when I get so excited about vacuums and brooms, laundry is still way up there as well.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

kikomoon, in your pocket with peanut butter chocolate chip cookies made mostly from northern white beans (plant based), they taste better than they sound. And, looking forward to good results for you as I am weeks behind on the same plan.

All good here, the 2nd cycle is much better, not great but manageable. DH did the electrical for my bar and I’m working on insulation today along with light gardening chores. DH picked up fresh eggs from a local down the mountain, so breakfast will be avocado toast and eggs and Vera will likely be the morning mystery.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

good morning Monday everyone - have missed all you love. My liver is improving and I had 2 chemos on Thursday, & blood transfusion on Sunday I do have some big side effects & will hopefully check in again soon

Hugs moth

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

First of all, YAY moth! I'm always so glad to see your posts. I'm glad your liver is improving but am sorry about the SEs.

I was away from the site for a day and had about 4 pages to read! Mel, I hope your living room isn't trashed from all of us hanging out, eating snacks, etc. I'm sure none of us would be that inconsiderate, though. LOL

I've been trying a new (sort of) eating plan with Intermittent Fasting. The difference is that I'm "clean" fasting, meaning that I drink only black coffee, water with NOTHING added, or plain, unflavored tea during my fasts. I'm NOT a fan of the black coffee, as my morning treat has been coffee with sugar-free eggnog latte syrup and milk. I have a "window" during which time I eat and I "window" during which I fast. Right now, I'm on the 19/5 schedule - 19 hours of fasting, 5 hours of eating. Of course, part of the fasting time is when I'm asleep.

It's not exactly "fun" but it's kind of empowering. I like the theory of "Delay, Don't Deny" (which happens to be the title of the book.) (MODS, let me know if I've breached protocol by mentioning the book title. I'll edit my post, if I have done that.)

Anyway, happy Monday, everyone. I wish all a peaceful, pain-free, SE-minimized day!

Carol

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Good afternoon all

So good to read your post Moth.

Sunshine I've been doing the intermittent fasting but not for as many hours off eating as you. I lost a lot of weight the first year and then it leveled off. Also I don't do it as religiously as when I started bc I think my body was lacking nutrients and I didn't have an appetite enough during the eight hours and could only fit in 2 meals. Definitely feel better not eating so often though. Good luck. I think you'll like it but you may modify as you go along.

tanya

• mara51506

Sunshine, I have heard of intermittent fasting. I probably go at least 15 hours overnight until the first meal of the day. I know eating in a smaller window is supposed to be better too. Good luck.

I have revised my step plan to make it easier. Starting with a goal of 5000 steps EVERY day and will gradually up it. I am doing the marching type walk in the apartment, including to every room in the house. The marching and emphasis on lifting both feet is similar to how I walk outside, short stride, lifting both feet always. If I want longer striding, I use the side of the road on our side streets. Walking poles are great for gym or mall walking at higher speeds.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

moth: I am so happy you popped in. I don't have an IG account so sometimes I can read one IG post but no more, sometimes I cannot read any. May your liver continue to rebound. I also hope that the blood transfusion will boost your energy.

Intermittent fasting: It seems to be "a thing" now. I didn't think that the way I eat falls under that. I am usually finished dinner by 6:00. Sometimes 7:00 at the latest and then I don't eat anything again until I have breakfast, usually around 8:00 a.m. I never considered it a fast - just not eating. So I guess it is 14 hours of fasting. I only have breakfast, lunch. Around 3:00 I might have cheese and crackers (in the past usually with a glass of wine) . Is sleeping fasting? :-) The morning meal is called Break FAST after all.

BooBoo: I am sorry about your pain but take the meds. I would be sad to leave a pet behind but it sounds like your are in a better place.

Hugs to those I haven't mentioned.

You really can't let more than a day go by or you are pages behind!!

• candy-678

Intermittent fasting--- Maybe I do it and don't even know it. My last meal of the day (called supper here) is around 4:30pm. I don't eat again till 7am with breakfast. So my eating time is 7am-5pm during the day. I do this due to stomach issues--- heartburn and feel sick if I eat later than 5p of an evening. So I go 14 hours without eating. I have done this for a long time--- way before the cancer. I don't see it has done anything wonderful for me. I got cancer even though I did that type of diet. I am skinny. But I have never had an issue with my weight. I have been small my whole life.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

More shed/bar work today, then the Monday zoom group and finally finishing the smaller beach bar painting. Just relaxing for the rest of the day.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

candy: my DH and I call our dinner time "Eating geriatric" Dinner is usually 5:00 p.m. I don't like eating late, I want my food totally digested by the time I get to bed. When I worked I had no choice but to start dinner when I got home, somewhere between 5:45 and 6:00. So you are pretty much doing the same thing as me. Never had a weight issue, it was just the way I preferred to eat.

mae: I really like those beachy paintings.

• micmel

Moth!!!!!~ oh sweetheart so wonderful to see your name. I am sending hugs of strength and love.

• micmel

Mae~love that painting it’s perfect for your bar! Great job! You and DH are handy ….

• mara51506

Mae, the painting is perfect for your bar, well done.

• micmel

ohhhWeve all been there honey. I’m sorry. It’s so frustrating. Dealing with what we all deal with. It’s so maddening to me.

• mara51506

Mel, yeah, I deleted the grossness though. Have to get over the little things, the way I ate likely contributed combined with a late night. Just need to eat more balanced, got some complete enzymes and will just add more beans and beefless ground with spinach combos. Can bump up fiber and get back to normal. Am also forcing myself to walk post meal to help reduce bloating in stomach. I am unsure of the culprit yet causing this, beans never have thankfully.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

Mara— thanks for sharing. It really helps us all to see we are not the only one suffering the personal discomforts from diarrhea side effects.

I am very sorry you had to go through your recent episode. Big D is definitely a SE that keeps me close to home (a bathroom).

TMI to follow— this is my personal experience, lessons learned: I bought a pack of what I call pee pads. Large, oversized waterproof, disposable squares like a hospital would put on a bed of an elderly person to catch messes better. When I am worried about an immediate “accident”, I sit on a pad in my chair which gives me a sense of safety. I think I have done this 3 times in 18 months so it isn’t very often but it is reassuring at those times.

Also, I definitely find peanut butter can trigger a Big D episode so I no longer eat a spoonful directly from the jar but do still have peanut butter here and there as it is combined with other foods. (I still enjoy peanut butter on celery stalks!)

• mara51506

Thank you Dodgersgirl. I will keep the pee pads idea in mind. I did get everything cleaned up and took loperamide as well. I still have diapers from back when this was an issue when I was getting Herceptin and Perjeta together as well. I do feel better and will resume normal activity and meals.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Thank you Elderberry. I have no choice but to take the pain meds. Some days are worse than others, so I only take the breakthrough when it’s really bad. I try to stay ahead of it, but it’s hard to always know when it’s going to be a challenging day.

Yes, not having my dogs come is very sad, but I think seeing them again (for only 2 weeks) would be much harder. Mel, are you still considering getting another dog? My niece’s Golden Retrievers are my substitute. They are such nice dogs, and I get a lot of love from them.

Hope everyone has a good day.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

I don't think anything here would be TMI. With all that we've been through - we've had it done to us, seen it, etc! Sharing this 💩is how we learn from one another and help us realize we are not alone in this.

Mae - your paintings will be perfect for your little hideaway☺️☺️

Laurie - my heart breaks for you as I feel you sadness about not seeing your furkids. But I also think about their safety if they are riding in the car from Florida. Any stop for gas, food or bathroom break puts them at risk from being snatched from the car. When we traveled with our dogs, one of us would always stay in the car while the other left. Particularly in the summer when it was broiling hot, we left the AC running. And having goldens, I'm glad your niece has goldens as well to offer their special kind of love. It will never replace the bonds with your pups but I can't think of a better substitute.

Again, I just despise this new format. I feel I need to bring pen and paper every time I come here to write down the important stuff. My brain does not let me remember and i can't respond in the way I want. So I send virtual hugs 🤗🤗🤗🤗 to all, but especially to those who need extra TLC. Love you all❤️

• mara51506

Love back to everyone and you goldens, Mel, dodgers girl.

I did sleep well last night, went to bed much earlier and I think having to wash the mess kept me from falling asleep too late. I do feel better today and will resume normal eating except to make sure I have 3 separate meals a day instead of one or two. Do the 10 mins of walking post meal and just not worry. Smaller helpings of peanut butter will help as well. Making sure I incorporate a lot of protein when I have pasta. I do reduce the portion size already so I am not going to get rid of it.

Nothing special going on today. Not sure if DB will ask about going out for groceries. I will go out anyway even though I am not going to buy anymore beans or canned goods for a while.

Breakfast was 1/4 cup corn, 1/2 cup black beans and a few mushroom slices. Baked for 15 mins on 450 and they came out crunchy but nothing burned. Chopped up the mushroom and put on top. For seasoning, just my mixed spices, little salt. Put wheat bran as well. Topped with a small spoonful of peanut protein powder, adds nice little undertone to everything else. Used a tiny spoonful pizza sauce, little squirt of ranch dressing and tiny spoonful of mayo. Whole breakfast was fairly low cal even with all the stuff. Might have pasta and beefless ground at lunch and add a mix of the pizza sauce as well as a dollop of caesar dressing too. Going for a 10 minute work out now.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

I need to open a Word document, so I can respond while scrolling back. I don't know how I can miss so many posts!

The intermittent fasting is working for me – but "as-I've-read-on-the-Internet-so-it-must-be-true" – what is good for one person isn't necessarily good for another. My fasts are from around 6:00 pm until 2:00 pm the next day. And yes, sleeping is part of the fast. J Although I've not had significant weight issues, these 15 pounds I've put on since my MBC diagnosis are not what I want.

Elderberry, I love the "eating geriatric" phrase. That's really good.

Mae, I'm loving your art project(s).

Dodgersgirl, that's good advice. The big D is often in the back of my mind. It's embarrassing. I had an incident recently when I was in the grocery store. I had walked there and made it home, with just a little "leakage.'' Sorry if that's TMI. Shower and laundry followed.

Booboo, I'm sorry you're missing your fur kids. Have you heard about the Golden Retriever who likes to hang out on the roof of the house?

Mara, I'm glad you're feeling better. I must have missed your post regarding your "incident." I'm so sorry!

Hi to mel, moth, tanya, goldens, candy, and all the rest of you lovlies!

Carol

• candy-678

Sunshine- I think you started the "intermittent fasting" conversation,, but unsure it was you without the aggravation of scrolling back to the first of this conversation. Are you doing it for weight loss? Or for helping the cancer? Or what? One concern I have is going so many hours-- 6p one day to 2p the next day without food--- would be blood sugar. Lows and spikes. Blood sugar lows during fast, then spike during eating hours of 2p-6p --4 hours. I sometimes am concerned going from 5p- 7a without eating and does my blood sugar drop. I can be weak and hungry in the mornings before I eat breakfast. I wonder if my sugar drops in the early am hours. Just wondering if the fasting is really good for the body. Compared to eating spread out over the daylight hours, and of course not eating at night when we are supposed to sleep and rest our bodies. I am a person that thinks breakfast is healthy-- to start your day with food for fuel.