Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Candy, thank you for your comments. I know the "studies show" lots of different things. I recently had my bloodwork done after about a 16 hour fast. Blood work (glucose) came back fine.

I'm doing this party for weight loss, partly for health. As far as the "cancer prevention" - well, that horse is already out of the barn! I did run this past my MO and she's fine with it. The hardest part for me is the mental part - especially stopping eating at a certain time and not snacking or having a glass of wine after that "window" closes. What I like about this "lifestyle" (I hate the word "diet") is that it's FREE. No proprietary bars, powders, supplements, etc., to take.

My MO (or was it her Fellow?) said that some people experience fewer side effects during chemo using intermittent fasting. The basic take-away is that what works for one person is not necessarily going to work for another person. I've seen that called "a study of one."

Scrolling back is a pain, I agree. I can't remember who said what and on what thread. And if I'm "away" for a day, I miss so much and it's hard to get caught up. :)

Carol

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Hello all, boy this thread has really moved fast. Good to hear from Moth and Mae! As an update to my last post I got a call from my MO last night. After reviewing my MRI he feels there is a spot in my sacrum that is larger than it was on my last imaging. He said it's not technically a progression since the met was there before but the growth in size and increasing pain needs to be addressed so I am going to be doing more radiation. He didn't seem overly worried about it and I don't need to change my treatment regimen which makes me feel somewhat better. Still, it's just unsettling. The way I read the report things appeared stable. I have had increased pain in that spot. It's sore to sit for any period of time, especially on chairs or benches without cushions. I think I was just writing it off thinking I was doing too much sitting. In any case. It's not the worst news, it's not major growth, I think I'm just disappointed and caught off guard. I see the RO for evaluation on the 13th.

Has anyone had radiation to the sacrum? How does that even work? Do I lay buns up on the table while they high beam fry my arse? I don't even know. LOL.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

yes this thread moves very fast! Hard to keep up but I do read every posting.

Moth- so glad your liver numbers are down . Hugs to you

Mae- love your beach painting for your bar shed! Hope you are feeling better

Mara- I know all about these embarrassing accidents. I eat peanut butter every day but I know that's not my problem. I'm happy you had a good sleep and are feeling better.

Booboo- glad to hear from you. How you must miss your puppies but enjoy those Goldens. They are beautiful dogs.

Emac- I'm sorry to hear of the increase of your met. I've never had radiation on the butt but I assume you will have to find a comfortable way of sitting. What about those "donut " pillows?

I know I have missed so many people but hello to everyone.

• sunshine99

emac, I'm sorry about your sacrum, but you made me chuckle with your "buns up, high beam fry the arse" comment. I hope it helps with the pain and that sitting afterwards is not more painful.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,454

Emac, I too am sorry, in your pocket for whatever comes next. May your pain disappear.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

emac I have a met there also. I am also curious about the method of attack in that area

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Hi all, well I got my petscan results, lots of progression due to 2 months without treatment, hopefully my oncologist can come up with a plan to get it back under control. Does anyone know if genetic testing is worth doing, I'm thinking about asking Sanju about it tomorrow. Stay well everyone ❤️.

• iwrite
    iwrite Member Posts: 746

KittyKat- So sorry about your scan results. Surely the break will make the next treatment extra effective for you! In your pocket as you wait to get a new treatment started. Hope you get some good answers on the testing. Someone herewill know!

• mara51506

KittyKat, I am really sorry to hear of the progression. I hope anything new you are put on will knock it back to at least stable. In your pocket as well while you get more answers and a plan.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Emac - I've had a sacral met done. Its just like any other vertebrae area, so on your back. Getting the tattoo was super fun though, make sure you shave/wax! However, to your other point, I always wondered what they do for like rectal cancer and radiation - is it kinda like the James Bond movie where the laser comes up towards his man bits?

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Sunshine,

You’ve got me wondering about the Golden that likes to hang out on the roof….any details? Or website to reference? Would love to see it!

• micmel

lol at main bits. Sounds like a dog food brand

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Kittykat- So sorry to read of your progression. Hope they can knock it down fast.

• micmel

thinking Of you kitty …. Hugging you from a far.

• mara51506

It is rainy here today, so probably will not get out today for a walk. I am instead eating snack size meals so I can eat between 4 to 6 times, trying to stay below 200 cals per meal. Then after each meal, will do my paul eugene senior gold 10 min vid after each one, I do it standing but it can be done while sitting as well. I find it a good workout and never boring. Trying to rev up metabolism without increasing calories to make up for the sitting I do. Posting Paul Eugene link from youtube below for anyone interested

Today will feature beans, corn, rice at times and possibly pasta, got a fettucine alfredo to heat up to put in the fridge and add to different meals. First snack was 1/4 cup black beans, 1/8th cup corn, 1/4 cup beefless ground. Baked the beans and corn, 450 for 10 mins, microwaved beefless ground 50 seconds. Added all of it to plate, put some wheat bran sprinkled on top. Used italian, steak and mixed seasoning, ground up few cashews in spice grinder and added as well. Took a fingerful of peanut butter after. Going for my workout now. Goal is to eat every 90 to 120 mins and do the workout. I really have never been bored with him.

• sunshine99

Kittykat, I'm so sorry. That really sucks. I hope, like the others have said, that your MO and team can get you back to stable soon.

Booboo, if you Google "Golden Retriever on Roof" it should come up. Apparently, it's gone viral and the owner had to put a sign in her yard letting people know that she was aware that her dog was on her roof. Too funny!

The man-bits thing was pretty funny. That was a cringy scene in that James Bond movie!

Waving hi to everyone in the living room.

Carol

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

LOL. Sondraf thank you. I appreciate the heads (not buns) up! Hopefully the rads will just shrink this little pain in my rear and we will just move on. My other mets have not grown and I have done well on my current med regimen so I was glad not to have to change that.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

Hi Emac. I’ve also had sacral mets radiated and as Sondra indicated, we “assume the same position”. I don’t know if there is a difference in equipment but the machines here circles around you, directing a beam at the targeted area from 360 degrees. I take it the bed doesn’t impact the beam. I’m not 100% positive it was this treatment (could have been the hip) but one thing I will warn you about, it may impact your “female bits”. I got off the bed and as I started to walk thought ow that’s sore and feels weird. It lasted less than 24 hours but definitely took me by surprise. I was warned but still… it’s a case of what else will potentially get caught in the beam. Depending on whether they are including the lumbar spine, you may also want to avoid eating prior to treatment. I made that mistake, full stomach got nicked by the rads and…. Let’s just say I didn’t keep my lunch very long… oops!

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

KittyKat- sorry for your progression. I join everyone here hoping the next treatment knocks them down.

Keeping you in my thoughts

Hugs

• sunshine99

My husband and I joke that he’s the cause of pain in my arse! Don’t think my MO or RO can help with that! 🙀😳

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

KittyKat, thinking of you and sending you best wishes for a super plan from your oncology team . Hugs

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 723

kittykat - sorry about progression- that stinks. Fingers crossed for responsive treatment.

Almost forgot - today is my 3rd anniversary of my MBC dx. Hoping I can celebrate many more

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Goldens- I was also MBC diagnosed 3 years ago in May.

Hoping many many more years for everyone!

• micmel

many many many many many.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

I had my video visit with a nurse practitioner I guess. My brain MRI shows stable or slightly reduced. I haven’t read/received the report yet. I am happy for some good news for once this year but am also very cautious. I don’t really know what to do with myself. I guess just keep on keepin on? I am just kinda sitting here right now. It was a relief to just hear those words. I still have lots of tiny spots up there but I’ll take stable and run!

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

Just dropping into say hi and wish the best for Kittykat (because I can't remember if I did that already - oy!)

Laughing along with the PITA discussion. Man bits, lady bits, and root source (dh). All fun.

I've been in customer service hell for the last few days - nothing cancer related, but still ready to pull my hair out. Where's my Easy Button?!

• mara51506

Customer service hell is definitely no easy thing to put up with. I am in your pockets so you do not pull your hair out.

I am hoping both of you at three years of MBC keep going and going for a long time. It can happen for sure.

I was just on Facebook and came across a picture of my great-nephew. My goodness, seems like not long ago, he was a baby but now graduated from junior kindergarten, will be in regular kindergarten next year. I don't see him due to separation from my younger DB who is his grandfather but he is a handsome lad. Nice to see him.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

kittykat, I’m also sorry to hear about progression and hope the next thing knocks it back.

Kikomoon, congrats on stable or better! It’s a win and yeah, we just keep going…

Quiet here for me, feeling far less sick this time, so I’m working on projects (beach bar insulation and a rock wall on the property line) in small, manageable bits.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Kitty,

I’m joining the others with hugs and prayers for great results with whatever comes next. I’m so glad you posted because I missed seeing your name here. Take care and let us know what your MO says is the next step.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Kikomoon- Glad you are stable.