Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

I hope it's not inappropriate to post here - I just read in the liver mets thread that BevJen has been in the hospital for a week, with progression to brain plus other mets and ascites, and is off treatment. Sad

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,454

Oh no, poor Bevjen. Brain mets are one thing but ascites and other progression is totally different. I am sorry to hear this.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Oh I hate to hear this about another sister of ours. I am so tired of all the bad news. I HATE THIS CANCER.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

I am so sorry to hear about BevJen. Sending up prayers for her and her family.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Sending good thoughts to BevJen and her family. She is/was a kind and helpful person to know here

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

I hate you cancer.

((((((((Bevjen))))))

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Goldens and Candy, I posted on the bone Mets thread that I had a short notice lumbar MRI yesterday, which included a pretty big list of problems in my back and hips . Some degenerative, some lesions which have increased. I do have increased pain too. I currently am on gabapentin and as needed oxycodone. Not sure if any other treatments like radiation will be offered. Feeling worried and sicker with new pain. Candy, even with stable cancer, I don’t know how you
    push through all your pain.

I made myself go to my water class this morning to see if it still made me feel better and looser,but it didn’t. It was good to see some friends there, most of whom know about my issues (not that we always talk about serious stuff) but I teared up just from one person asking how I’m feeling and giving me a hug.

• mocogram
    mocogram Member Posts: 94

I'm so sorry to hear about Bev. When I came back to this forum after my stage 4 diagnosis last summer, she reached out to me as a fellow Marylander. She was very helpful and encouraging. This disease is relentless and it's so depressing.
  • livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

I am so sorry to hear the news of Bevjen. Thoughts and prayers to her and family.

It has been a busy week for me. Relatives are visiting the island for a big reunion. (not staying with me) We have met up for dinner out at a beautiful setting and a wonderful meal. Tomorrow while the guys are golfing my cousin is coming over. It will be nice to have just her and I. Of course I have had my son out too. Next week my daughter and fiance are coming out for about 11 days. My dh has a list of jobs he needs help with so poor Rob will be put to work. He loves to keep busy so that's good. Golfing and seafood are on the list also. That's what our quiet little island is all about in the summer. Of course add to that our beautiful sandy beaches.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

We are also sending our love to BevJen (and you all). Big hugs to Mel's Living Room.

Heart

• runor
    runor Member Posts: 1,615

Swooping by to see how behind I am on all the many pages of posts. So sorry to hear about BevJen. Sorry isn't even the right word. What is the right word as we watch our people fall to this disease? There must be a better word than sorry, but I can't think of it right now. 

This month Hub and I have between us 9 medical appointments. We are falling apart. I have posted before about his end stage osteoarthritis in his ankles and surgeon wants to fuse his ankles. Hub no longer walks, he staggers, winces and cringes. I have been trying to talk to Hub about moving off this property while we still have the half gumption and physical ability to do so. Packing 30 years of accumulated junk, oh my god. I told him that I can't deal with putting up 8 cords of firewood every year. I can't deal with a 260 foot well and pull the pump myself when it craps out. I can't run the chainsaw when one of these savage trees falls on a vehicle or across the driveway (regular occurrence). I said I can't run the bulldozer to clear the driveway nor the plow truck - I simply don't do heavy equipment operation. I told him I was not going to be climbing the extension ladder to clean the stupid, plugged chimney after one of our multiple winter season chimney fires. I said, it's time to go where I can handle the maintenance that needs doing. We need to be on a property where day to day chores are fewer and easier. He listened. He nodded. He bought a ride-em lawnmower. 

Now, exactly HOW a ride-em mower is supposed to make any of my list of concerns and worries better, I do not know. Yet he felt that this was the answer to my worries. Now he drives around like a lunatic mowing everything that he can set a tire on. Our place, the neighbour's place, the side of the road, random areas of offending long grass. Look, he says, a ride mower! It's all better! NO IT'S NOT,  YOU OLD BUFFOON !!!  Worse, the mower he bought looked like someone had mowed a land mine. There was a massive hole blasted up through the mow deck, pulleys and belts torn off and the blades bent upward visible through the damage in the deck. It was destroyed. And he PAID for it!! Then smashed and hammered and welded and grindered (not a real word but extensive use of grinder) and fixed the damn thing. It solves NONE of my issues. This is goiong to end badly, I know it.

I have contacted a naturopath in a desperate attempt to see if there is anything that can help the agony Hub is in. Naturopath very honestly said that by the time a surgeon suggests bone fusion, there isn't a whole hell of a lot of options left. None in fact. Feels he might be able to offer some quality of life improvement, but even that is faint hope and will not last forever. He is currently looking at x-rays and CT scan to see what he thinks of the whole thing. 

This month marks 5 years since radiation for me. 5 years of tamoxifen (I quit early, in June). Also I am going back in for UltraS to check out 'weird thing' in boob. Sigh.

To all of you having a  hard time, lean on the love that is loaned to your pocket, so many good spirits reach out to lift you up. I join in the pocket duty and add my prayers for good news, good outcomes, good sleep and good snacks for all of you. Hugs!

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

I'm so sorry to hear about Bevjen, I hate what this disease does to us, sending her my best wishes.

• mara51506

Rosie and Candy, I am sorry for all the pain you are going through.

Rosie, sometimes we are just touched when other people ask how we are doing. I am glad you have people who can hug you as well.

Living, that sounds like a wonderful way to spend some days. Enjoy yourself.

• micmel

I agree things are shitty. My sister is going through some issues with her head/nose. Bleeding. She gets a head scan Friday. While I’ve been having gastrointestinal issues. Not fun! IBS is what I’m leaning to. Scanned four months ago. So don’t know if they will want that or a colonoscopy! Oh great joys !

• micmel

to everyone having a hard time. You’re not alone. Pain and worry daily. My body is just withering away. Slowly.

Runor. Great to see you honey. Sorry about hubby ankles.

• mara51506

Nobody here in pain is alone. I may not be dealing with physical pain most of the time, I go through a great deal of mental pain all the time that is a struggle. I am here for everyone having a hard time and hope it can ease for all of us experiencing it.

Runor, I hope something is done for your husband to improve things and I am in your pocket to find out what is going on with you.

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,950

SeeQ, thank you for letting us know about BevJen. I am hoping she is in great hands who can make her comfortable and I am sending her hugs from here.

Runor, I’m so sorry for what you’re going through. It’s bad enough when we have issues, but when our spouse or significant other is having issues, oy. I hope the surgery helps him. I totally agree that you are being realistic on things you can’t do. Hopefully your husband will see it too and you can move to a place with less work. Hugs to you as well. I’ve missed hearing from you

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

Virtual hugs to BevJen. Sending prayers for comfort and peace.

Runor - men are so stubborn! I’m sorry he can’t see the forest for the trees. Your home and property sound like a tremendous amount of work to keep running. And with all the physical limitations. Keep planting the seed for change. Some day it will take root.

The pain is real. For some physical, others mental. Neither can be easily fixed. So we trudge through this path ridden with disease to no end. Cycles of pain, cycles of hurt. No one understands - except you and me. My best friend always asks how I am and expects to hear the truth. Same for my older daughter. Younger daughter will ask about test results and that’s it. If I say anything else, then I’m always complaining. Another good friend will give you the shirt off her back but never asks about anything. I hate to be a burden to my husband. But you, all of you understand, and are ready to listen. And for that I am eternally thankful. 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

• mara51506

Goldens, i hide the mental pain from DB and SIL because they just want to solve it which in itself is not a bad thing BUT I know the solution is me doing what I know works for me. If I don't want to follow a solution offered, I don't believe I should mention it to them. I don't want drugs since I am on carbamazepine already and not certain what, if any, activities I may want to join. I am happy enough taking the bus and walking around the mall. I can people watch that way.

Today is a nice day, might take a bus out to the mall, walk around the mall and possibly Walmart. Sounds boring but I do enjoy this quite a bit and it gets me out of the house, supposedly DB and SIL will take me out tonight, not too much to buy except will get the regular mayo as I accidentally picked up light mayo which is not so great. Baking beans in the Breville oven and my regular oven as I am doing up bigger amounts. I prefer beans and chickpeas crunchy instead of chewy. Once cool, store in the fridge, will be easy to add to pasta or rice.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293

I'm mister dose the sindladed from eg each to catch back my backpack. If you you can see may, June , July in Instagram.

ÞMy daughter with help is and and we'll up to the blog. I hope.

I am smile amid computers. We're tried.

Love every. Love merresfals (???) Like meshages online on phone or main. If you have, honestly fell free too me etc

Xx

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 1,041

Sitting with you Moth-enjoying your flowers.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,549

Dear moth,

We are here with you as well and sending you all of our care and support. Keep us posted as you can.

The Mods

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Oh Moth, hugs to you! I do keep up with your Instagram and will check your blog too. Hugs to BevJen too. I hope she is comfortable and finding things to make her smile. She is one of the first people I met on the forums when my cancer became MBC and I started coming back to them more regularly.

All of you, I look for your names as I go through the posts. Though we have never met I hold a connection to you all and so to see any of us struggling is heartbreaking.

Just as an update the meeting with the RO was informative. He went through my imaging and I discovered what I thought was one pre-existing met to my S2 is actually one met with several smaller mets around it on the same vertebrae. That's the first I have heard of those. Freaking things! I am going in tomorrow for a scout scan and to make a mold for the radiation therapy. I'll be doing 6-10 sessions to S2. To my delight it is not buns up as I had imagined. I guess the cancer center has a new fancy machine that can be laser focused to the met itself with minimal impact on surrounding structures. I will be on my back and they will radiate from the back and the side to get at them. So while I may still be getting my butt fried in general, I can at least be modest about it. I still am a little unsettled thinking there was more than one but I was assured that my overall status is still considered stable so I am hanging on to that news as I process the rest of it.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Just popping in to say "Hi" to everyone. I'm sorry for those in pain or are suffering. I love seeing all the "old, familiar" names here. You all are like family to me.

Carol

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Do any prior or current chemo ladies have tips to manage/get rid of "bad taste in mouth"? Its not metallic and it only comes around by about 2 or 3 in the afternoon (7 to 8 hours after my Lynparza dose) and lasts until I go to bed about 1030. Doesnt matter what I eat, its there - its kinda high/sharp and sour tasting in the back of my tongue and top of esophagus. Citrus, chocolate, anything with citric acid (which is everything) seems to make it worse.

Drives me absolutely nuts and I have some sugar free mint candies that help but any other ideas? I cant be chomping on these things for 8 hours a day, and I can't chew gum because it gives me tension headaches. That being said, when I am not thinking about it I dont notice it so Im wondering if I am just hyper attuned at this point.

• mara51506

If you are not already, avoid metal utensils and cookware. Use plastic or ceramics.

• mocogram
    mocogram Member Posts: 94

Sondraf, I have a similar SE. At first, I thought it was heartburn or acid reflux, but Tums, Prevacid did nothing. It's also accompanied by an overproduction of saliva which sometimes drools out of the sides of my mouth --lovely picture 😁. We're on totally different meds (I'm on Xeloda and Tukysa) so maybe it's one of those SE common to a variety of meds. Unfortunately, I don't have any remedies.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

Hello ladies

Trying to keep up. Prayers and hugs for BevJen and her family.

Moth I’ll try to read latest blog.take care all

Tany

• mara51506

Sondra deleted previous post since I reread and noticed that you are not experiencing metal taste. The plastic utensils and drinking from a straw could be helpful. I am going to link the whole article but one thing that stands out to me in managing sour taste is adding a some honey, sweetener or sugar to foods, perhaps a way to bury it within a meal that is not so bothersome. Link is below though. You should be OK with sweet things if you have the sour taste, apples, grapes stuff that is sweet are good options. Perhaps slice up an apple, grapes, any sweet fruit alongside whatever meal you are eating to counteract it as well to help make eating less of a problem as well. Add a pinch of sugar to a seasoning to help as well. Hope the article helps.

https://cancer.ca/en/treatments/side-effects/taste-changes

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Hi all, MRI results are stable and decreasing. Some have decreased a lot, even s stable spot previously treated in 2018. My neuro rads onc is very happy. Also, there’s nothing new, so no big concerns and no gamma knife, just staying on Enhertu and checking the brain again in a few months, yay! I’m off to treat myself to a cheeseburger and strawberry shake 😁