Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

ty emac. I’m curious about your radiation information. I have a met there as well. Aches occasionally. Lately it’s been my stomach. Another thing to worry about. IBS? Cancer related? I refuse to have a colostomy bag. So if there is a problem that’s gonna be a big one. I don’t want to live like that. Gas pains are awful. Yikes!

• micmel

welcome nine. With anything you may need. To yell cry scream. Laugh even. Leave it all here if you’d like. Cancers cruel but we aren’t!

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,454

Elderberry, if I could afford a separate landline out of my budget, I would certainly keep one and not one from Rogers since I think the phones that plug into their jacks use voice over ip. It would have to be bell I suppose. It was scary and I am really not believing the story about updating a server. I understand all of the big 3 companies could have issues but Rogers has more issues than the others.

I did check, landlines would be more expensive from Bell, I am going to look into Sunwire based out of Sudbury because they do serve London and there is a 20.00 landline plan, just have to make sure there are phone jacks. Second option would be getting a second prepaid phone, would just have to buy a phone and choose Lucky Mobile (Bell Network) or Public Mobile. I would feel more comfortable with with either a land line or another mobile option. We will see.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

Reporting for the very active list of pocket duty this week, with Cinnabon. It is so hot here. Over 100 all week AGAIN. This is ridiculous. We really need a break soon.

• micmel

good morning ladies! Reporting for pocket duty……

Moth ~ thinking of you

• mara51506

Kikomoon, I cannot stand the heat myself, never could. I remember the summer of 1995 and we did not have air conditioning and that was a super hot and humid summer. I actually slept on the basement floor which was unfinished concrete for relief. We would go for a drive to get some air and we had one fan that my mother put in middle of hall so we could all get cooler. I survived but I don't think people can actually survive without air unless they are completely subterranean. I think no matter where you are, AC should be a requirement.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

mara: Rogers is the in process of or has actually taken over Shaw. Shaw had been really reliable. responsive to its customers etc. I can just see what will happen. I have noticed that all the new condos being built here pretty much all have AC installed. Good plan in light of climate change. A fan was all that was needed here in the past. A brief summer mitigated by ocean air and a mild often balmy Fall.

I can remember hot and humid summers in Ottawa, lying with a wet towel over me which probably attracted all the mosquitos that ate me alive.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,924

I still have a land line because it tells 911 my address. I think in a real emergency I might blank on info they need. DH has had a heart attack and has a pacemaker so needing help in a hurry is a possibility. My land line is tied in with my internet.

• mara51506

Had a different but good breakfast. I usually do up my canned beans in the breville at 450 for 10 minutes to make them fairly crunchy though not burned. I took a mix of corn, black beans, spread out on baking sheet that was sprayed with cooking spray. Took two hashbrowns as I am trying to use up stuff that has been there a while. Put on same tray and spread a bit of garlic spread on top them. Halfway through the cooking, I flipped them and the garlic spread mixed in with the cooking oil. Beans, corn and hashbrowns all were made slightly garlic. I mix most of the seasoning now to make sure all gets used and it is quite delicious so a generous helping of that on top along with low fat mayo and a small spoonful of caesar dressing to combine the beans, corn, hashbrowns and bit of wheat bran. Was delicious, really enjoyed it. I got rid of a lot of stuff I was not eating and just keeping core ingredients. Tired of eggs and breads, even tired of queso, planning to clean out the outdated ones and just keep the jars for other stuff I think. Small amounts of pasta added to meals and rice here and that is about it.

Nothing on the agenda today, trying to conserve money more due to inflation and figure out a back up prepaid mobile phone with tiny data and calls and text for 25.00 that is on a different network.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

Reporting for pocket duty. Thought I would brings roasted pecans for those who can tolerate nuts. Was afraid anything chocolate would melt.

If I find peaches, will bring some “donut peaches”. Soooooo good when in sea

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Peaches can be so hit or miss but if they hit HO BOY are they tasty. We had a peach tree in the backyard in my grad school rental (in a town you wouldnt think would have peach trees) and there was one summer they came in and it still remains the greatest piece of fruit I've ever eaten.

Definitely worried about moth - her last Insta post was on 3 July, her "half birthday". Then again, sometimes when you are slowly righting the ship after a flurry of medical stuff you just want some time out of talking/thinking about it. I hope she is having a lovely summer with her family around her.

Met Office has issued heat warnings for Sunday/Monday when its projected to hit 95F in London. Well get a slight dip in temps rest of this week and if we can get the cool overnight air in I think we can manage as the bedrooms are out of direct sun and we can shut off the hot part of the flat. I love our sunroom/conservatory but it just traps heat and the window shade coverings aren't quite sturdy enough for this level of intensity. We have no good windows to vent a portable A/C either, though I find those to not always work as well as you hope.

At least the cats have figured out the smart move is to lay on the grey slate in the garden once the sun has gone down. And this heat means my favorite outdoor lap pool will be go for tolerable water temperature from end of this week.

Stay cool, all!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Hi all, I did see that moth posted on IG this morning. She is working with her oncology team.

Carol

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Stay cool those of you in the heat zones. We are set to hit 105 today and stay mid 90s all week. It's not the heat I dealt with in Phoenix, AZ when I lived there but the humidity is a whole different ballgame here too. I have a late 80s build home with low ceilings and it does get cool and stay cool until late afternoon so energy wise that is super helpful.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

sunshine99– thanks for updating us on Moth’s IG post!

Sondraf- I grew up with a peach tree in the backyard. Peaches and cream was so good. Now I watch farmers markets for fresh peaches. Typically, we see them this week or next as a start to those really ripe fruits.

Emac— keep cool as best as possible. As others have posted, Heat really bothers me while on cancer meds.

• mara51506

I am thankful for me window AC unit. I thought about a portable one but I did read that if possible, better to have a window unit because it exchanges the air better. My apartment is cool enough. I can certainly feel the sticky warmth come morning when I open the door. Overnight I keep it at 18 degrees or 64 F and through the day, bump it up to 21 or 69. It is able to do the apartment. I also have a lot of fans I never got rid of and have learned not to get rid of stuff as well. I don't like the heat and don't like looking like a lobster with a red hot face either.

We are going to have the new Property Management people entering apartments this Wednesday so am going to take the day off Herceptin as I feel it is really important to meet them, find out if things will change on rent collection etc. I also want to know if they will try to force us out like the owners did. Not sure how many places are rented at this point, seems like they should get advertising.

• molliefish
    molliefish Member Posts: 650

good evening Lovelies,

Mara, it’s Windy now and supposed to rain, temps have dropped so it should be a cooler night. I hope the new property mangers are descent folk.

I finally heard from my doc and I already had a surgical consult booked before the biopsy too place on the 29th of June. Atypical ductal hyperplasia. Around a 1 cm cluster. We’ll see what she (the surgeon) says about surgery vs anything else. Not sure I should have stopped tamoxifen now. They say most ADH is er/pr positive and over the last 6-10 months my body has been returning to normal (hair and nail growth has been pre cancer normal, skin feels better, no hot flashes, sleeping better) oh well. I’ll find out the options Thursday, including second opinions. Have a great night every one.

• mara51506

In your pocket Molliefish for Thursday as you get more info on what happens next.

• micmel

thinking of you molliefish. Sending hugs of support and love

• mara51506

Well, nice bonus for my CT scan appointment, it is 1 hour later than I thought so will have breakfast after all, nothing too huge. May also walk to the hospital depending on how I feel, still pretty tired now as my body said lets get up at 6 am!

• micmel

I woke up super early also Mara. Very odd for me too! Crazy shit huh?

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

Dropping in real quick to sign up for pocket duty with rice krispy treats. I've been reading along , but I'm still enjoying my family visit. It's down to just my son, but it's a longer visit than we've had in awhile and it may be another year before he can visit again.

• mara51506

Great minds think alike I think.

• mara51506

Great minds think alike Mel.

The CT scan was fine, took the bus to the hospital, love that the driver sees me looking like I need help as he lowers the bus and allows me to get off at the front. Last couple of times I exited from the rear, my leg almost went out on me so prefer being lowered down. Really appreciated. I did wind up walking home. It would have been an hour for the bus. Not even that hot or humid but face still turned bright red. Hate that, annoying even though I don't feel particularly hot. Made my little steps go faster as I foolishly decided to not visit the bathroom and desperately had to pee but made it home with a short chat with neighbour and rushed inside and just made it. Should get results next Wednesday from this CT. Thanks for any pocket duty.

• tanya_djamila
    tanya_djamila Member Posts: 1,537

pocket duty for Molliefish.

Mara pocket duty for your results next week.

Visiting mom and ddin NY. Nice to be home.

Tany

• mara51506

Tanya, enjoy your visit with your parents in NY.

I must say, the contrast hit me like a truck yesterday. I slept great the night before but when I got home, felt really nauseated and unwell in general. I ate but it was tough to stay awake. Cannot believe the walk home did that to me. I have never experienced a reaction like this with the contrast, was asleep most of the afternoon and evening and still feel slightly unwell today but I am staying home for the property managers that are supposed to be coming, really do not think I could tolerate Herceptin anyway.

• micmel

I hope you had fun. Glad you’re safe and home.

Waving hello to Mara ! Pocket duty for everyone…

Hello Candy.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

Got the results of my thoracic and lumbar MRI. Back is a hot mess - so many big words that I need to look up🙄. Wonder what my pain management doc will make of it in terms of treatment

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Goldens- So sorry. I too have back issues. My lumbar MRI repeated "severe", "severe" in the descriptions of the various areas. I got a copy of the ortho doc's notes for my records and it said "would recommend surgery when/if the cancer is gone". Haha like that is not happening with Stage 4. Palliative Care doc not much help for me. Suggested chronic pain meds of Cymbalta or Gabapentin for pain control. But I also have arthritis-- RA and OA-- in multiple joints, so would those drugs be good for arthritic type pain AND lumbar issues? I have not tried any yet. Otherwise the docs just shrug their shoulders at me.

Hello Mel.

Mara- You take care of yourself. Walking home after your tests/treatments seem too much in my opinion. You are strong, but not good that you push your body too much.

• mara51506

Candy, my body felt fine, my issue was the contrast. I fell asleep through most of the afternoon, woke up briefly to cook a small meal, fell asleep again and went to bed. I still felt super tired this morning, it is OK now. Not sure why it hit me so hard this time when it normally does not. Only reason I chose to walk home was because my particular bus was going to take almost an hour and I could be home in half the time. I did read that my beet red face is actually a normal thing for some after exercise, even if not hot out.

• mara51506

Wow, so the water was shut off again, no notice so I went out into the hall, called downstairs to find out how long it would be and got to talking to one of the ladies working on the building. Super friendly, offering to drive me to the hospital if I ever needed. I also was helping her out, she said apt 6 floors were smelling bad from a dog peeing. I showed her the enzyme cleaner I spray into the box and litter itself. She was impressed she could not smell the box so hopefully it will help them in cleaning it up.