Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

mel: yogurt, ice cream, mashed potatoes? Better that than Jello and chicken broth.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Goldens- what a wonderful way to volunteer!

Mel- I would say marshmallows! (they are soft and fluffy lol) especially over the open fire. My thoughts are with you and your sister.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,454

Mel I am glad you are progressing in your diet, may it keep going forward. Glad your sister will be getting more information too.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Goldens,

My sister (who I now live with) is a board member in our local prison ministry. She said it’s one of the most rewarding things she has ever done. To hear the stories of some of these men is humbling, to say the least. Few to none of them have had easy lives. To see them embrace the prison ministry programs is so very cool. Not all can do it (turn their life around), but it’s not for lack of trying. Some struggle with addictions that are hard to kick, and others have difficulty breaking out of old patterns. But the folks who run the program do not judge.

I am so proud of my sister for her involvement in this very worthwhile organization, and now I know someone else I can be saying my prayers to support—YOU.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

If there was a day to go by that I didn't have a heat flash explosion I wouldn't know what to do. Miserable for sure. I know there are worse things. But aw man these suck out loud.

Thinking of moth. Goodnight ladies. Hopefully mr insomnia doesn't run around in my head tonight again. Love to all.

• elderberry

Mel: Good night and sleep tight.

• mara51506

Mel, imagine me talking about my day, normal boring days like laundry, weird food combos etc. That will help you sleep. If that does not help, 4-7-8 breathing may slow it down for you, assuming you are not already doing that.

Here is a new one, ground up one pirate cookie mixed with peanut protein powder in my spice grinder, once ground to a powder, put in a bowl. Measured 1 tbsp of peanut butter, put in microwave for 10 seconds. Mixed the peanut butter and powder. It was delicious and not super high calorie.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 828

Mara- You have an amazing imagination on putting meals together.I don’t mind cooking just trying to decide what to make. I have some picky eaters in my house so my variety is limited.Your right I guess this is like the news filled with good and bad. Definitely need to hear the good because there is too much bad

Mel - Sounds like you were having a rough time , glad things are looking up.Ugh hot flashes are awful! Why is it I can be fine all day and the minute my head hits the pillow the fire begins!

Golden- Your volunteer work sounds very gratifying to all.Sorry you weren’t able to go, as if cancer isn’t enough but the covid crap has put a damper on all of our potential social activities also!

Elderberry- Guess that baby bird is gonna learn to survive on it’s own.Nice that you have an unexpected visitor in the house you had out there already.

Thanks for all the other welcomes! Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

• mara51506

Cookie, I am picky about what I like as well. I shifted to rice, beans, spinach and beefless ground as I am no longer anemic. I don't miss being lightheaded one bit. My meals will never look good, but most often, they taste good. Seasonings help too. I also enjoy pasta though that is in small quantities.

• seeq
    seeq Member Posts: 1,166

Thinking of moth and sending calming thoughts.

Mel - I've been trying measured breathing for the night time hot flashes, and also for the times my mind is racing instead of going to sleep. I think it's helping, but the jury is still out, as it's only been a few nights. I'm really chalking it up to just being enough distraction, but if it works, it works. I was reading about acupressure helping with hot flashes, too, so that's the next thing I want to explore.

I admire those of you who can give so much of yourselves - prison ministry and child advocacy. You make things better where people need you most.

I'm sure there are more people I should respond to, but I've been packing all day and I have an early morning tomorrow.

You all might think I'm crazy, but I'm going on a cruise. Our last cruise was just before Covid exploded. We have been having triple digit temperatures and no measurable rain for weeks. Our lake is so low we had to pull out pontoon boat out of the water. Anyway, my husband found a deal on a cruise to Alaska, so we're going. My last MO appt was all good, and he told me this is as good as it gets (in a positive way). We've seen how quickly things can go from good, to "oh, shit!" so I'm going to do what I can while I can. We leave tomorrow. I'm not sure how much internet I'll have, so I expect to be offline awhile.

Waving all around the room to all our regulars and lurkers, too. :)

• livingivlife

seeq- have a wonderful trip! At least it should be cooler in Alaska! I always wanted to go there.

It is one o'clock in the morning here so good night to all.

• mara51506

Enjoy your cruise. Pictures would be nice too. 😸 I enjoy seeing what people are up to.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Stumbling into the living room. It's 2:20 AM here and I tried to go to sleep at 10 pm-ish. I'm so tired (no pun intended) of this! I've tried breathing, counting, melatonin, magnesium, yada yada. I'm about to resort to wine. (Sort of kidding.) Don't want to, but this is getting ridiculous!

Carol not-so-sunshine

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421

sunshine99 ,you are in my thoughts . I am like you tired and agitated ,but not sleeping . Steroids are the cause of my sleep deprivation. I over react to even to small amounts , given as part of chemo. Yesterday I fell asleep, totally unexpectedly, with a cup of coffee in my hand. Luckily, I didnt spill it on Mels living room couch! I hope you get some sleep soon, sweet dreams too!

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Pocket duty list for the week of Aug 7---

Sondra- MO appointment Monday (unsure about this, I was thinking the day got moved due to your Covid illness)

Mae- CT and bone scans Tuesday

Wren44- MO Thursday

Anyone else for this week?

• mara51506

Sunshine, hope you got at least a couple of hours since you posted last. So difficult when you intend to go to bed early. Hope it resolves soon for you since it sounds like you have tried everything.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Candy, I’ve got my Bone & CT scans on Tuesday.

Should continue to be stable in the body, especially on Enhertu but I do appreciate the pocket duty 😀

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 828

mara-I dont know if you’re on Pinterest but i love the recipes on there.I will spend more time in the kitchen once the weather gets cooler. Right now I try to spend most of my time outdoors.

Seeq- My hubby and I are boaters also, its our serenity for sure! As we say we forget about our troubles and relax and enjoy the sunshine and water! I don’t think you’re crazy, relax and enjoy your cruise., Safe travels.

Ugh to all the sleepless, it stinks! Unfortunately I don’t have any good tips sometimes melatonin works for me. If not I love my coffee.

Sending good vibes for all who have appointments this week.

• mara51506

Well, in tears today. My cat Tigger is not pooping or peeing, appetite is fine but he is unsettled and in pain, goes in and out of the litter box but nothing happens. Nothing is open today and I have no one who could drive to the emergency vet. Tigger is shaking and unsettled and I am so worried for him. Not sure what to do, not sure if UBER will help transport a cat to the vet, I am afraid to leave it til tomorrow.

• elderberry

cookie54: I have become very well versed on all things crows. Fledglings will mature and hang out with the parents for a few years, often taking care of the new siblings. Crows mate for life but I didn't know that if a female dies or breaks up (yes, apparently it happens) the male goes back to the parents When I read that I had to laugh.

I really enjoy cooking and only hate beets - or rather beets hate me. It isn't an allergy as such but it seems to be a food sensitivity. Some days I wake up already thinking -- mmmmm, I should make pan fried oysters tonight. Better get to the fish mongers. Or - it is going to be cold today so I'll make a stew in the Instant Pot. Or I'll be out shopping see something and say to myself "That would be good to go into supper" Other days...I draw a complete blank and root around in the freezer and pantry trying to find inspiration. Then there is the "Screw it, let's order in"

seeq: I know sleep hygiene experts say "No TV in the bedroom" but I find the flickering screen helps me nod off. The more interesting the show, the more likely I'll fall asleep" I PVR those so I can finish it later the following day. It is legal here and I find a little cannabis is helpful too. I use a strain that is "relaxing" as opposed to "energetic"

Enjoy the cruise. Apparently it is a lovely trip. I have known a lot of people who have done it. The coast line is breath taking. But I would never ever want to live on some of those BC coastal towns. You can count the days it doesn't rain on one hand. Okay, that is an exaggeration but it rains a lot.

mel: As Shown On TV - the Ember Wave wrist band. Apparently it works but I have no idea how it does that. Might be worth checking out. I used to find if I could get my feet cool or cold, the rest of me settled down.

Hi to everyone else.

• elderberry

seeq: I see from your other post you are not starting from the Vancouver port and doing the Inside Passage. I hope your trip is fabulous.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,924

seeq, Enjoy your cruise. My husband and I took it several years ago and it was really splendid. Be sure to take a rain jacket, preferably one that's also a little warm. It can get cold up there.

I have an MO appointment on Thursday. It's the first since my IV diagnosis. I'm interested in her estimates of longevity although I know that no one really knows.

I'm moving into a room in DD's house later today. That will be a new experience. I had grandmothers in my house growing up so I have an idea of how it will be.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Mara, if you’ve got a cat carrier, I think an Uber wouldn’t mind, worth a try. I hope Tigger feels better soon.

• livingivlife

Mara- yes if you have a cat carrier Uber should take you. Tigger needs to be looked at.

Today is so hot again. Close to 40c with the humidity. Thank heaven next week is cooling right down with rain. No rain here for weeks which is so unusual for us. I am out of isolation today from my 10 day covid period. Showing negative for myself and my husband but energy levels are the pits. Hoping to finally have special son out tomorrow. I haven't seen him in 2 weeks! I also had to stop my Ibrance cycle for the month so I'm hoping everything will still be stable.

• mara51506

Yeah, going to pull it out and put together and put a blanket in there, just feeling scared. There is an emergency vet. Bad timing for DB to be out of town. Could try number SIL gave me for her mom I suppose. First step is to put together the carrier. He cannot clear bladder or bowels and he shakes. Scary. The carrier will not go together, no idea where original screws are. As it is a top loader, I can use several layers of packing tape to hold it together, layer with a towel and blanket. Need to eat first. I have to learn to stop crying at the drop of a hat, get my cat looked after whether it is minor or major. I am not going to make him suffer or wait until tomorrow. No idea where the screws were so attached several layers of packing tape, is a top loader so can load him in that way. Put towel down then blanket as well so he is more comfortable.

I will post more as I find out more or what happens.

Edited to add that my older DB suggested to wait til tomorrow before vet, if no improvement tomorrow, take him to vet then. He suggested pumpkin but problem is he won't go near a food dish.

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 609

Mara, I'm hoping the vet can help your cat, it sucks when our pets are hurting. Sending love to Tigger.

Ooh, that cruise in Alaska is something I've always wanted to do! Please let us know how it goes, Seeq, I want to participate vicariously.

The insomnia struggle...I have never had so much trouble sleeping as I do now. I attended a presentation by an oncologist, talking about, amongst other things, how important it is to get good sleep. I laughed. Out loud. Every night I take a small amount of a CBD/CBN/THC tincture, 6mg of melatonin, an antihistamine recommended by the pulmonologist I saw last year (for post-nasal drip), and sometimes chamomile tea. That combination often works. But not always. May we please have some decent sleep!

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Oh, mara, I'm so sorry about Tigger. I hope you get to the vet OK,

I finally fell asleep around 4 am or so and slept until about 8. I guess that's good. I took more of my supplements before I went back to bad. Probably not a good idea, but I was desperate.

moth, I'm thinking about you today and hoping you are comfortable.

Carol

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358

Mara- I’m so sorry about Tigger. I am pretty sure Uber should take you. Glad you could get your carrier together. From one cat mom to another I hope the vet can give Tigger relief and it is nothing serious. Will be thinking of you and Tigger all day, sending healing thoughts

• elderberry

mara: I can't believe I missed your post on your beloved Tigger. How old is he? Yes - please please get him checked asap (if you haven't already) My Aelfric gets constipated these days. Every once and a while we have to give him a RX laxative to move things along. His appetites goes down when he is constipated. If Tigger is still eating maybe he is just really really constipated or has a UTI. I hope it turns out to be nothing terribly serious. Damn cats. They annoy us. They give us joy. We love them so much. I know you will do what is best for him, no matter what.

• mara51506

I will take him tomorrow if nothing changes.