Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Mara- Just reading your posts. I WOULD HIGHLY ADVISE TO TAKE HIM TODAY !!!! I used to work for a vet (years ago) and I have been a cat owner for my whole life. Could be constipation. But could be urinary plugged. It is an emergency. That can kill a cat. DO NOT WAIT TILL TOMORROW.

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,067

mara: I was thinking about you and Tigger. Aelfric loves one food one day and turns his nose up on the other. He is getting on, as they say, and we do our best to find stuff he'll eat. I know vet emergency is $$$$ but please please get him checked out. I'll pay a King's ransom if I can give him a good QOL. I hate it when some folks say "he is just a cat. You can get another" No. I could get another cat but I cannot get another Aelfric. You don't say to a grieving parent or widow -- "You can always get another kid, or husband" Okay a cat isn't a child or a husband but in some ways -- they are!! They are our companions. Our loved ones.

• d37
    d37 Member Posts: 73

I have not posted here before but I have been reading. I’m so sorry about Moth. I hope she is comfortable and at peace surrounded by her loved ones. Cancer really sucks!
    Mara, I hope your kitty is ok.
    Denis

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,051

D~ welcome to the thread. We are all very worried and upset about Moth. She is a special lady.

Mara~ I also somehow. Missed the post about your cat. I would err on the side of caution, if you can have him seen I would. I’m sorry kitty is having issues. Hugs to you.

• HopeHeal
    HopeHeal Member Posts: 137

Moth I've been following your blog and am so sorry to read this. You were one of the first to educate me when I joined these forums and I will never forget you. You are in my prayers.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,454

I need to sleep tonight but am taking him once I book an appointment. He eats well but yes, he needs to go, just exhausted now. Need sleep and food first.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

I have been processing this radiation tx I am scheduled for and for some reason it has me a little more anxious than the previous times. They've never been a big deal or hard, it's in my head I guess. I was told a few weeks ago to stop my Verzenio 4 days before and 4 days after treatment. I hadn't stopped it because the treatments have been hung up pending insurance approval. On Friday it finally got approved by insurance and someone called to schedule me for Monday (tomorrow). The caller didn't mention meds and I got so focused on the schedule that I forgot to say I couldn't do Monday because I had taken meds that day so I have to call first thing in the morning and see what they want me to do. I may start Thursday instead.

These past few weeks have just thrown me. I injured my knee at work and ended up taking a leave to finish this radiation two weeks earlier than I intended. It's fine now but just added to the stress. That week I also got kicked in the teeth and the chest by a confused patient and I'm not even sure what I did to my knee to make it sore but I couldn't weight bear or bend it for three days. I am just starting to wonder if I can keep doing this job. I wasn't hurt getting kicked, just stunned and am now a little jumpy with people. I seem to be getting less pain tolerant. Even blood draws seem to hurt more than they did. I am taking the whole month off until 8/29 and I think some time away will be good for my mind. Physically I'm doing okay.

I have been keeping up but in my depression I have been struggling to put coherent sentences together. It seemed better just to read along for a while.

Mara - I hope Tigger recovers quickly.

Mae - Pocket duty for your scans. I still need to get the groceries done but I have lots of zucchini, I'll make fritters and fried squash blossoms.

seeq - Have a wonderful trip!

Sunshine99 - I hope some good sleep finds you.

Mel- Thinking of you and hoping your bowels settle down and give you some relief soon.

For anyone I have missed I think of this group often and hope your days are going well. Also thinking of Moth and hoping that she is comfortable and surrounded by happy things.

• mara51506

Cautiously optimistic with Tigger. This morning he was purring and happy to see me and peed and pooped in the litter box. I am going to grab some canned food as well today to encourage hydration but that is a step in the right direction. He also had no trouble or pain in the box. He is back to snarly self with the other cat as well. I will make an appointment to go to the vet to be safe and continue adding water to his food and tiny dose of apple cider vinegar to wet food, supposedly avoids UTI or heals UTI in cats. No blood or crystals either.

• micmel

emac~I'm glad youweren't hurt worse. My goodness. I can't believe you're even working. You're amazing. Wow. Sorry about your knee. I hope it improves soon. My gastrointestinal issues are calming down. Not perfect but better. Hope it continues to heal. Hugs to you. Feel better.

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

Mara, That’s great news that your cautiously optimistic with Tigger. I hope he continues to improve.🐯

Emac, Sending good thoughts to you. You know yourself best, and taking off the rest of the month sounds like a good plan to get back to a calmer state of mind.

Thinking of all with happy events or difficulty.

I’ve developed a strange side effect, a red face with rashy dots on my arms. My trial drug did have this warning of exposure to sunlight, and I got it on my face during the trial. And arms and upper chest once I had moved on to Halaven. Maybe they both have the same side effect, I’ll have to check.

• mara51506

Emac, I am sorry to have missed all that you have gone through at work. You are stronger than I and glad you are taking time off from all these events.

I am still watching Tigger in the box, 1st thing he peed a lot, not so much this time but he has tried, his mood and hunger are improved, he is back to begging again. I am also putting in 1 kibble soaked in 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water to clear out any possible crystals. If he won't eat it, I will soak a cloth and wipe down his paw and head and let it soak in. I am keeping the ACV low since too much is not good but don't think he is in an emergency today but will leave the cat carrier set up just in case. I am also adding fractional water to the kibble as well. He vomits too much with food switches so for now keeping him on a dry diet. I don't think he is emergent at this point but will keep an eye on him.

Edited to add that it is really super hot and humid here and I don't even feel safe carrying him out to the car if I am being honest.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Emac- I hope you heal quickly both physically and emotionally. Taking a month off will definitely be best for your well-being.

Rosie- if I am out in the sun I also get a rash on my arms and chest. On medications we are told to stay out of the sun.

Mara- it looks like Tigger is on the mend especially if he is peeing.

• mara51506

Deb, he is much improved. I could not trick him to eat the kibble with apple cider vinegar so I soaked a cloth and wiped on his paws, tail and stomach. The ACV should help if there is an infection. Just have to make sure it is not too much. He is also MUCH hungrier than he was, I feed them throughout the day since he eats quickly but am adding water everytime to the dish and he is drinking that way. I don't want to do wet food simply because his stomach cannot handle food switches.

My breakfast today is a combo of things in small amounts. 1/8th of a cup of rice, 1/4 cup beans, 1/4 cup corn, bean and olive medley and 1/4 cup of beefless ground, sprinkled some ground cornflakes. Rice was premade. I microwaved the beans, beefless ground, cornflakes and the medley for 60 seconds. Took the whole mixture to a frypan, added some garlic spread and have been heating on low, think that will make it better and takes less time and dishes to make. Will top with a small amount of caesar and wheat bran.

It was delicious.

• elderberry

mara: is he pooping/peeing okay? I know it costs $$$ for a vet but you might still want to consider taking him in for a check-up. If he is a senior he could be developing kidney problems. Is he losing weight even though he is eating voraciously? Keep an eye on him. I know you will. Hoping the best for your fur baby

• mara51506

Yes, he pooped an peed a fair amount this morning. His back end does not appear to be super sore either. He is also super happy when getting fed and purred a whole bunch. Keeping an eye for now. My problem with the vet is the cost, I am on disability and that would take a bunch out of my food and bills plus paying to get to and from. So long as he is eating, pooping and peeing, I can observe. He is getting plain water when being fed and a couple times a day, I soak a cloth dipped in 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water to rule out infection. I will take him if his progress slows. The weather is bad today and as I stated earlier, carrying him in the cat carrier in the heat, even just to the UBER and negotiating stairs does not feel safe to me who has crappy balance. I will wait, he is happy and hungry.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

Mara - I’m so happy that your kitty is doing better. I was very worried for both of you. Fingers crossed he continues to improve.

Elderberry - here is a doggy pic for you! They all send you happy smiles 😊😊😊😊😊

Doing a downstay is 10 yr old Gamble, sitting next to her is 12 yr old Bella and in the back is 3 yr old Mariah, Gamble’s granddaughter.

• mara51506

Goldens, thank you, I was very worried as well. Not saying that he is 100 percent in the clear but he is not growling and hissing when I touch his rear, runs out when I ask if they're hungry and is getting much needed water. Like I said, he peed well this morning, had one with nothing but he did poop. Keeping an eye as well, ACV to circumvent or treat. Toward the end of the week, may bring him for a check up but budget is so tight for me. Balancing his needs with my financial issues is tough but doable.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Mara- I have been reading along. And I am unsure if I should comment. You know your finances. You know your cat. But... cats can purr for things other than happiness. Pain for example. They will purr if in pain, sick, or scared. I cannot see him, how he is acting, but if it were me I would want him checked. I hope I do not offend you. I do not know about the apple cider vinegar thing. I would have to read up on it or ask a vet. I have never done that with my cats.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,679

Mara - with the heat and it being summer, perhaps even with fresh drinking water he just didn't have enough liquid. Ours never want their kibble when its hot so they go for the wet food and we offer the wettest possible and add a few teaspoons of water on top of that. Also, a teaspoon of pumpkin (from a can) is fine too, ours like it mixed in with the wet food. Sometimes ill drain canned tuna water (if packed in spring water) onto a plate for them (and some tuna chunks!) if I happen to be making tuna salad.

• elderberry

Aelfric doesn't eat when it is hot. He's like me. I rub him down with a wet washcloth then he lies in front of the fans. He drives us crazy with loving one food a whole lot then snubbing it the next. One day it is just the gravy and leaving the chunks, so we bought him pate. The nope. He wanted the chunks and left the gravy. He used to be happy with just kibble but we wanted him to get more liquid. He loves the water out of a packed in water tuna can. He drinks lots of water, preferably out of the running bathroom tap. Cats prefer running water but it is hard to do. A friend bought a water pump for him but it was a no go. I brush him everyday and I give him hairball gel. Our other cats like all brands, especially the malt flavours but Aelfric only likes Nutri-Vet Salmon gel. And he really really likes it.

goldensrbest: you made my day!! Their smiles make me smile.

• mara51506

Candy, thank you again for thinking of Tigger. I can say 100 percent he is happy purring. He runs out for food, drinking water every feeding (eats several small meals throughout day) and is much happier. I have been able to feel around the area that caused issue for him and it is no longer a problem. I am still watching his use of the box as well. At this point, I will wait and see what is going on and take him if need be. Again, budget is an issue, even for a checkup. I need money for groceries this month. But don't take this to mean he will never be looked at, just need to put it off as long as he improves and stabilizes. Again, I cannot thank you enough for the caring you are showing me and my cat and I am hearing you as well.

• micmel

I'm so sad to read about Olivia newton John died. She had MBC. I thought she was doing better. Geeze this sucks ! She was my MBC idol. She was so beautiful and full of life. May she Rest In Peace. I’m gutted with alL of this cancer.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 688

Oh, I hadn't heard about Olivia Newton John. That's so sad. I had heard she had MBC but never heard anything more about it. Thanks all for the well wishes. I am doing okay. I'm already feeling better having had about a week off now. I would love to not work but am still figuring out how to afford that. My PCP is setting me up with the social worker in their office just to start to get information and see what it would look like and if I could do it. I'm actually thinking of quitting for something not in healthcare or not directly working with patients. Not sure what that looks like either, I am investigating all my options.

Mara - I am glad to hear Tigger is better.

Goldens - What a great picture! I had a 1/2 golden 1/2 lab growing up and he was the most amazing dog. I have always wanted another Golden.

• elderberry

RIP Olivia. I knew she had had a recurrence or two of BC then it came back as MBC. I hope she went in peace and comfort. I won't say "Lost the battle" -- that always sounds like a failure. She just kept going until she couldn't. Another beautiful voice silenced.

mara: I hope Tigger continues to improve.

emac: I hope you can swing not working. I am glad I retired three years before my DX. I am even more glad now to be retired.

• mara51506

Emac, hope you can retire for sure as well. I was forced out due to brain mets or I'd have kept working before during and after initial treatment. I also hope if not retiring, finding something else you can do that you will not be injured.

I saw on Facebook about Olivia Newton John, RIP and condolences to her family and friends alongside the fans. Of course, the stupid end of the story has to say she lost her battle. Makes it sounds like she did not fight hard enough. Just say she died of MBC. Wish this would be used instead of losing the battle.

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 828

Yea always sad to hear of another woman dying of this horrid disease.I really dislike “lost the battle “agree sounds like we failed. Definitely don’t want that in my obit , I think something like I ended the battle. I would like it to sound like the brave souls that we all are!

Mara so glad your cat is doing better, we all love our fur babies and hate to see them sick.

Golden- Love the pic! We have Daisy who is a Yellow Lab and someGolden also. Or as we say half lab half chicken. She has anxiety but we love her to death.image

• gladis
    gladis Member Posts: 43

You've helped me through, some days Moth, you are right there! I follow you where you post Tumblr, Insta, here, your blog,-thank you for ALL of the inspiration, the hope and the Truth. I am already missing you. Peace and love to you and your family from over here in BC.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

I’m sad to hear about Olivia too but I’m honestly a little annoyed at the reporting too. What I’ve read only mentions her MBC with a single bone met in 2017, nothing more. Now, I totally understand peoples right to privacy but I doubt she died from a bone met that was radiated years ago, so what changed and what actually killed her? I doubt I’m alone in wanting to know more on how it progresses before the end. And what is the tipping point, when do we need to be really concerned?

I’m going to ask this of my MO tomorrow, I like to be ready.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875

illimae, totally get where you are coming from on this but it’s tough to get accurate information. One news story said she was diagnosed with MBC in 1992. Umm… no. We wish! I know it will likely sound negative but I can’t help thinking that all the healthy eating, vitamins, etc. did bupkiss. She was like me, a long time between original diagnosis and MBC. I’m at 5 1/2 years since my MBC diagnosis. Makes you think…

Emac, think carefully about leaving your existing job. I don’t know the details but do you have benefits? Unfortunately, now that you have an MBC diagnosis it makes things a lot tougher if you shift and then need to take time off or have other accommodations. As a new employee you are not likely to get the support you need. I’ve faced a similar situation with my work and ultimately decided that I needed to stay put and am now on long term disability (very fortunate to have access to this). It sucks that we have limited options….

My thoughts continue to be with Moth and her family. Wishing her days of peace and love.

• micmel

I guess she just wanted it to. Be her business. But I also want to know. I thought the same thing. Mae, as you did with the one met. Last interview she was thriving. She even said those words. Just shocking wasn’t expecting to hear that