Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

My Husband, My Life, My Love, My Family, My Cancer

Comments

• Rosie24
    Rosie24 Member Posts: 1,026

I had an evaluation for physical therapy for back pain today. My goals are really to be able walk steadily (without stumbling and wobbling) and to gain some strength back to go up stairs. The referral was put in by my palliative care nurse practitioner. I guess back pain is used as a catch-all in my case. We’ll see how things go.

Sondra and Chicagoan, I agree that the mixed changing room sounds awful.

• kittykat9876
    kittykat9876 Member Posts: 420

Well, guess who's back in hospital, the pain is off the charts, lying in the ER waiting for a bed while they try and find someone who can access my port, so much for having a quiet weekend.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Oh Kitty,

I'm so sorry. You have been dealt enough. And yet you continue to have such a bright spirit. That's what keeps drawing me back here, to see how each of us handles our different crap. You really do inspire me. Thank you.

I'll be praying for a quick in and out of the hospital so you can continue to enjoy yourself and your grandson.

• mara51506
    mara51506 Member Posts: 6,450

Kitty, I am so sorry to hear you are back in hospital, healing thoughts your way hoping you get released soon and the pain subsiding.

Mel, still here for you as well sending my love your way.

Not going out today. Nice day but I feel like doing indoor stuff. Going to do leslie sansone and more basic housework. I would still like extra steps. Vacuuming inside and outside, the hall looks awful outside the apartment and checking if more mail or garbage on top of mailboxes, should not be so much to collect now.

Breakfast was two eggs, 1/4 cup black beans, tiny sprinkle of shredded cheese and dry oatmeal with wheat bran. Added all to frypan with a dollop of garlic spread and plated. Added some queso and mayo and my stomach is really full but in a pleasant way. Still have to clean out the dyson as the hallway quickly filled it with dust outside. Found more lose screws etc in the hall.

• micmel
    micmel Member Posts: 10,050

I totally agree with you BooBoo! hugs to you ladies.

• kittykat9876

Well I just got back from surgery number 6, hopefully they got it right this time, not looking forward to when the painkillers wear off, I hope everyone is having a better weekend than me 😷.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Hi all. I am sorry I have not posted more. I do read the posts every day and think "Oh my Mel is having lots of family issues" or "Oh no, Kittykat is in the hospital again". I do care about all of you and hate to read of everyone's struggles. I need to post more.

So the fevers have been gone for a week, woohoo. Don't know why they occurred. All the testing has come back negative. I follow up with my PCP this week to review everything. Probably just a mystery. I am back on Lynparza, at a reduced dose. I am handling it ok. Nausea seems less. Fatigue is the same. I nap every day. I see my MO Nov 7 for scans and bloodwork.

Otherwise things are the same. No activities for fun. Pretty boring life. But I am thankful it is not worse.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Oh, KittyKat, that sucks! I'm so sorry! I hope they can keep you pain free!

I took a tumble yesterday. We were visiting our kids. As we were leaving, I said I could take the stairs rather than the elevator. At the door to the stairwell, there was a big lip at the threshold which I didn't notice. I fell really hard onto my hands and knees. Major ouch! Hubby and son helped me up and I decided to take the elevator down after all. My DIL stayed with me while DH and DS went and got the truck. DIL checked my knees, but I hadn't broken any skin - it just felt bruised. I think, however, I broke one of my toes. It's super sore and purple. I don't think there is anything to do with a broken toe. I can walk OK, but it's just sore. My knees are sore this morning, but I'm just so thankful I didn't break anything major.

• micmel

Candy ~ honey post when you feel like you want. Thank You for caring.

Sunshine~ I’m sorry you fell. Gosh I hate that. Thankful it wasn’t more serious. Anything we go through for us , is serious, seriously annoying. Please get well.

My mom is being moved to hospice tomorrow, I’m concerned, stressed. I’m sad I can’t be with her. Frustrating I wanted her back in my area long before this. To prevent this

• denny10
    denny10 Member Posts: 421

sunshine99, sorry to hear you took a tumble. My husband damaged his toe a few months back, he didn't even get an xray when he went to hospital, as there was little they could do even if it was broken. He was advised to not put weight on his foot until it did not hurt anymore. It took his toe about 6 weeks before it got better. I hope you recover quickly.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,923

My SIL broke her toe and they taped it to the one next to it. I don't remember which toe it was.

Mel, Sending love and hugs. I think you're feeling more responsible for things than you are. It's like when you want to prevent all the bad things that might happen to your kids.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

Mel— sending hugs.

• kittykat9876

Sending you big hugs Mel, love from Cathie xxx

• micmel

Thank you kitty. I am not ready to loose my Mom. We talk every day and even though it’s just talk we are still close. I am worried about the transition into this home. She will have a semi private and she will absolutely hate having a room mate. She doesn’t like other people around her. She’s persnickety that way. So I’m worried she will have a melt down. My stomach is in knots. Everyday is a challenge.

Kitty~ I hope you’re feeling better than before. You have also had a rough time of it this week.

• mara51506

Sunshine, I am sorry to hear you fell, it hurts and sucks when that happens, in your pocket.

Kitty, glad you are out of surgery. May the pain be tolerable or gone for you.

• mara51506

Mel, I hope your Mom's transition is not too tough for her or you. Edited to add that I do not mean transition as we mean, just the move in facilities and hoping she is comfortable. She knows you love her and that will give some strength. I am sending strength to you and your sister as well.

• booboo1
    booboo1 Member Posts: 1,196

Sunshine,

Oh no. I hate when I fall like that (too many to mention). I can tell we are alike. You probably said “No worries…I’m fine” even when you aren’t. I hope that your bruises are just bruises, and that you heal really soon. Take care, my friend.

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

Kitty - we need to keep you out of the hospital! Hope your recovery is easy with good pain control.

Sunshine - sorry about the fall. I’ve noticed I keep catching myself from falling - that’s the last thing I need.

mel - I’m so sorry your momma is going into hospice. I’m sure your daily chats bring her some comfort.

Hugs to one and all. Here for pocket duty.

• mara51506

Well, today is another day of probably not much going on. Waiting for Amazon with a new vacuum, Bissell Stick Vac. Killed Dyson sweeping up apartment hall, so much dust, could not clear machine. Took Dyson apart and storing under bed. Laundry being done, dusting etc as well.

Breakfast was 1/2 cup black beans, spoonful of quinoa and wheat bran. Added everything bagel, steak, italian and some oatmeal, added to my spice grinder, sprinkled on top, microwave 60 secs and finally add little mayo, ketchup and mustard for binding everything. It was a really good taste.

Edited to say that I condensed this post as I know there are people who like hearing about what I do but I can try to be a little less verbose while saying the same thing.

• dodgersgirl
    dodgersgirl Member Posts: 1,902

waving to everyone

Read as often as I can. Again, sorry I can’t do individual acknowledgments yet. Chemo fog sucks

Praying for those going thru issues right now.

Praying we stop failing. We don’t need that extra pain.

Hugs to you all.

• sunshine99

mel, I'm sorry that you can't be with your mom right now. I hope her semi-private room isn't too distressing for her. I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I hope you can feel a bit of peace through all of this. Having your mom and sister both going through stuff when you can't be there has to be so hard and gut-wrenching.

I think my toe is not broken after all. It's turned a hideous shade of purple, and after I put foot spray on it this morning, it looks like I have leprosy. It's still sore, but I'm able to walk without hobbling. I thought about taping it to the adjacent toe. I may still do that. I also thought about calling my ortho dad and asking his advice, but decided against it. He'll be more upset and worried about my falling, so I think it's better to not even tell him.

DH loves to make apple pies in the fall. His birthday is this week and he always want a pie rather than cake. We make them together (he makes a really good oil crust) and we have a lot of fun with it. Last night we made 3 pies and gave away 2 of them. I haven't tried it yet, since my eating window was closed after they were done. It will open at around 2:00 pm this afternoon. Hopefully there will still be some left. We like ours on the tart side.

I also got a new book on making artisan breads. It's called, "The New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." You basically make a batch of "master dough" and then keep it in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. I made a half batch and baked my first loaf. It's a pretty wet dough and doesn't require any kneading. My first loaf was beautiful and had that super crusty crust. It was a little dense, but I think my dough may have been a little dry. I'll keep working on it, but I think I'm going to have fun with this.

I hope everyone has a safe Halloween.

Love and hugs,

Carol

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 722

Here’s a photo of our grandsons in their Halloween costumes. They went as Maverick and Rooster from from the recent Top Gun movie. image

• sunshine99

I love the photos, goldens!

• mara51506

Oh my god, went out to the hallway to get mail. On the railing of the stairs on my floor, there is an inch or so of dust. I did go out and spray a cloth and wipe it down. While I can appreciate construction is dirty work, workers should be expected to grab a vacuum and vacuum the hallway and wipe the handrails down. Gross building. Got the new vacuum, just waiting for one more delivery from Amazon. Command hooks to aid in hanging a couple of big pictures sometime this week.

Figured I needed a treat so made a chocolate milkshake from the chocolate milk and a generous amount of peanut powder, yummy peanut butter and chocolate without major far and a good amount of protein.

• livingivlife
    livingivlife Member Posts: 454

Kittykat- hopefully this last surgery will ease your pain. Enough is enough.

Sunshine- sorry to hear of your fall but glad to know nothing was broken

Mel- no words will express how you must be feeling right now. Talking to your mom everyday will hopefully ease the stress for both of you. I know it is nothing like being there beside them. Please remember to take care of yourself. Hugs

MAE- I know you are on your way to Houston but know I am in your pocket for scans and results. Keep those pups and yourself warm!

Happy Halloween 🎃
  • micmel

hope everyone is hanging in there. I’m trying to keep my wits about me. So overwhelming

• mara51506

Mel, sending my love to you and your family.

• mara51506

Mel and everyone who needs pocket duty, sending it out, I know you are all busy with appointments, family and friends and dealing with pain or SE so you have my support.

I got my new vacuum yesterday, opened it up today, love Bissell stick vac. I am doing to list the Dyson I killed soon on facebook, giving away as it is broken, perhaps someone else can take it apart and get it further cleaned out than I could.

Probably going to the grocery store for peanut butter and perhaps a treat. Nothing interesting on the food front I do not think, probably get the inexpensive noodles again in the different flavours, not ramen, just inexpensive soup packets. I usually make up the noodles, put in the fridge in a container and use them over two to three days to add texture. The seasoning is kept separate from them.

• candy-678
    candy-678 Member Posts: 4,167

Thinking of all of you and your struggles---Mel, Kittykat. I went to my PCP for a follow up yesterday. Still no answer to the fevers. They are gone, but we don't know why they occurred. Also I have had more weight loss. And I cannot afford that. I am skinny as it is. I see MO Monday. See what she says. But I am concerned.

I keep reading your posts and thinking of you all.

• mara51506

Candy, hope your doctor can help with the weight loss or at least suggest some high calorie foods or smoothies that can be had to at least minimize or help some weight gain. In your pocket.