Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

January 2018 Surgery group! Please see updated list in thread!

Comments

• maggie2
    maggie2 Member Posts: 240
    edited January 2018

Quiltingnut, best wishes for tomorrow.  You can update us from the recovery like Philaflash did:).  It's interesting how each doctor has a different process.  I specifically asked my BS about getting dehydrated with no liquids from midnight. She said they'll put in the IV as soon as I arrive at noon and keep me hydrated. I think it's still a long time to go without even a sip of water.

• LoveCanada
    LoveCanada Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2018

Sorry to hear that Maggie, they are all so different. I had to stop eating by 10 the night before but that morning I could drink water, tea, and black coffee until 4 hours before surgery. Hope it’s not too bad for you!

• Quiltingnut
    Quiltingnut Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

Philaflash

I did ask for that but my surgeon wouldn't prescribe it. He said they would use something when I have the procedure. I hope he is right.

• houmom
    houmom Member Posts: 102
    edited January 2018

When I had the SNB done, I had a 10am arrival and didn’t go into surgery until 4:15pm. They gave me an IV at around 1pm, so I didn’t get too dehydrated. I wasn’t hungry thanks to the nerves, but I did have a headache by the time I went into the OR.Unfortunately, I’m very familiar with the no food thing from having colonoscopies Scared

• Judeshome
    Judeshome Member Posts: 138
    edited January 2018

Hi Jada, welcome to the January group...Jud

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018

Hi jo, My check in was 12, surgery 1.30, recovery 3 -4.30...home by 6pm

• jo6359
    jo6359 Member Posts: 1,993
    edited January 2018

My checkin is at 8:00 am and surgery at 1:00 pm. And my doctor was pushing for a two-night hospital stay. I'm pushing right back for one night or not at all

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

LoveCanada-Tx seems to vary depending on location.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018
    Hi dlj140, welcome to the group. I had a lumpectomy in October and it wasn’t bad at all and mine was quite a large area about 4cm. Recovery was very quick for me but we all have different tolerances and I didn’t have any nodes removed, neither did I have drains. However, someone else might want to chime in here with info about node biopsy. Basically, I drove myself insane with worry between diagnosis and surgery....that was the worst part, no kidding. I had very little discomfort and was back to normal in a couple of days. Is it a wire guided biopsy?
    Try not to worry, we are here to talk to....
    Jude
  • ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    edited January 2018

Quiltingnut...I had the sentinel node injection a year ago...they did numb the area. Last year my MX was scheduled quickly and I didn't educate myself as much which was both good and bad. Less worrying. My sentinel node mapping was the day before surgery. All I knew was that I had an appt in nuclear med..I was shocked about the injection near the nipple, but it went by quickly and wasn't bad. Good luck tomorrow.

• MayDayMelK
    MayDayMelK Member Posts: 25
    edited January 2018

Hey guys, had the stereotactic biopsy this morning and that was a weird sensation. I got 4 injections and ended up having a vessel cauterized because it was bleeding through the compression bandage. I bleed easily and have tons of extra vessels thanks to my genetic condition so it was kinda expected. I am exhausted from not sleeping well last night. I go back to the doctor next friday so I will get results then before I fly out with my little girl for her surgery.

Keep kicking butt on your recoveries ladies!

• houmom
    edited January 2018

Managed to drive a little bit today, with supervision of course Loopy

• Quiltingnut
    edited January 2018

over70

Thanks for the reassurance. Surgery called and said for me to be there at ten in the morning but my injection is scheduled for 8am. So i guess I’ll have a little time in between. I’m sure i probably won’t actually have my surgery till around noon. So dreading everything.

• houmom
    edited January 2018

If you’re having the radioactive injections, it takes a while. After they do the shots, they have you massage the dye into your system for 15-20 minutes, then they do a series of images that take around 30-40 minutes. They’ll probably take you into pre-op once that’s done. Pre-op wasn’t too bad at my hospital, private room with a tv and the heated air blanket and a recliner.

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

houmom- what are radioactive injections?

• Quiltingnut
    edited January 2018

Thanks Houmom! I didn’t realize it would take that long. I thought they just gave injection. Didn’t know they then do images.

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018

love the heated air blanket....we are all thinking of you quiltingnut, beenthere and know what it’s like , hugs

• houmom
    edited January 2018

Jo, they use a radioactive dye to map the lymph nodes before they do the SNB. I guess it's like the contrast they use in the MRI/CT. This is separate from the blue dye, I don't know how they do that part because they did it after I was under.

The imaging part of this is more like an x-ray than an MRI too, in terms of the machine being open, in case anyone is wondering. It’s long but you get frequent breaks.

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018

philaflash and jo6359 I am home. Just took a Valium. I need the oxycodone. How are you not taking it Philaflash????? It felt like the polar express ran over my chest yesterday. Today it feels like a Mac truck! TRUTH!!!!!! But I have great range of motion (I guess bc I do hair) walking and sitting. Taking a shower tomorrow. I can’t wait. I have 3 drains 2 on 1side and 2 on the other. Under my arm I think. I’am so glad it’s over. Wishing everyone of you guys fast,smooth recovery’s. I wonder when or if I’ll feel like I can breathe normal again?

• Sebs
    Sebs Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018

Hi all! First time posting and joining this community. It's been so helpful throughout my treatment so far. I hope all of you are doing well.

I had double mastectomy and lymph node removal, with tissue expanders put in on both sides Janurary 9th. Other than not being able to shower and having 4 annoying drains, surgery was not has rough as I anticipated.

Tomorrow I am likely to get my last 2 drains out and start filling tissue expanders. Both are so exciting

• Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

Marlena17 - day #2 post op was a million times better than day#1. I took oxy every four hours that first day after surgery and needed every dose! Day#2 at home, I started with a half tab of valium (Helen's suggestion) and ibuprofin. I went the entire day alternating Motrin with tylenol, 3 hours apart, so I took Motrin four times and Tylenol tour times total. Went to bed at 10 and slept all night I think you'll feel a lot better today. Also, for me, drain placement under my chest and not under my arms makes a world of difference. Everyone's different. It's better today than yesterday and I'm sure each day will get better. The mastectomy incisions are pretty much painless (numb), but the drain sites are the worst. Take whatever you need. This isn't a marathon. But isn't it great to be home!

• Marlena17
    Marlena17 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2018

you sound great! I can’t take Motrin. It lowers my blood platelets. I’am in pain. I want to shower but am waiting for the nurse to come. It’s deffinatly better but I am really uncomfortable.

• Quiltingnut
    edited January 2018

just had my injections. Wasn’t as bad as expected.

• miranda2060
    miranda2060 Member Posts: 207
    edited January 2018

Doing fairly well with the recovery, but pain at the drain sites is bad, taking Oxycodone as needed. The feeling of confinement in my apartment and the depression are setting in. Can't really shower, just sponge baths; I also have a fairly heavy (!) wound vac device hanging around my neck that whirrs/chirps at regular intervals. Have been unable to find a peaceful place in my mind, so worried about the future (dx, treatment, etc.).

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018

Hi Miranda,so sorry you’re feeling down....is there anyone there who can help you? I know you feel so alone, we are all here for you and we have all experienced much of what you are feeling. It is a lot to get used to and the uncertainty over the future can wear you down. Do you have anyone you can talk to?

Sending good vibes and healing thoughts. Hugs, Jude

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018

hi sebs, welcome to the club, I will add you to the list

• Judeshome
    edited January 2018

DEC 22

Madre9295.

DEC 29

AnnieTater

JAN 2

LittleLori.

over70

Talley76

JAN 3

D1974

1-Greenmom

JAN 4

Jadalulu

Lovelife4

Valntine

JAN 5

Hopfull2

MoniThor

brenbren1113

JAN 8

houmom

nifer

JAN 9

Sebs

Debcesq

Boobolympics

JAN10

shadie

blessedmomma

Rockcity

LoveCanada

JAN 11

Kyates

JAN 12

arkansasgal

JAN 16

rdeesides

Dskvarla

Judeshome

JAN 17

18ybug

Sfrankie

JAN18

HollyDolly

Sherribee

May07

JAN 22

Kmajor

Miranda2060

JAN 23

Dipaquette

Savedbygrace197

Philaflash

JAN 24

Marlena17

Zoisite

Dm39

JAN 25

RedJo40

StrongJess

JAN 26

Haven77.

ClaireBear47.

Trinitymon2

Veeder14

Quiltingnut

JAN29

jo6359

JAN30

Dlj140

Lg10

Maggie2

Spazcat

JAN31

MayDayMel

FEB1

ToughCookie

• Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2018
    I had BMX on the 24th no nodes on prophylactic side and had a SNB 1 1/2 years ago when I had my lumpectomy on cancer side. Had to be at hospital at 5:45 surgery at 7:30. It took about 6 hours for masectomy and TE placement. I stayed 1 night. I have 4 drains and was able to shower by myself yesterday. Still sore taking Norco and ibuprofen I find alternating them helps. Anxiously waiting pathology to see if I will need any additional treatment. Feeling pretty good.
  • Philaflash
    Philaflash Member Posts: 69
    edited January 2018

day #4 post op BMX with SNB both sides. Doing well. Slept with just two pillows in bed for the last two nights. Took Aleve twice yesterday with a half valium in the morning. No valium needed today. Showering and self care going well. Still trying to get used to the "iron bra" sensation. I keep wanting to pull it down. Lol. Otherwise doing well. Those drains are a pain in the ass. I can't wait for them to go. How are you doing Marlena17 and the rest of this week's surgery sisters? Sharon

• jo6359
    edited January 2018

zoisite and philaflash-glad you are doing well. Im scheduled for Monday. I was never a great housekeeper but my house is sparkling clean. Way too much nervous energy.