Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2018 - February Surgery Support Group

Options

Comments

• Jt3
    Jt3 Member Posts: 103
    edited September 2018
    Options

I appreciate the advice and encouragements! Went indoor climbing with my daughter today as last holiday hurrah

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Doc said my exchange went well yesterday. I am home with meds and sore allover and A little nauseous from The pain I guess.

• Nursepatient35
    Nursepatient35 Member Posts: 106
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3, glad to hear surgery is over. Hope each day gets better for you. Definitely give it all time. Rest, be patient with your healing and take it easy. I thought it took at least a month before I didn't have to take something for the pain whether it be pain pills or Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Be sure to eat something with your pain meds too. That could be making you nauseated as well.

• 32B
    32B Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3, how was it?

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Friends, I hope the Internet priorities let me post today. I bumped over to”Exchange City” group for a little support this last week. I wanted to let you know that this group is more responsive;) I am thankful for that. I had my surgery Monday morning at 7:15am. I am a single parent and my friend drove me. Another friend came before surgery. By way of recovery room wheelchair and friends I was home by 12:45. Hungry, nauseous,irritable,sleepy (everything my 7yo was after her last filling strangely enough). Had 3 wonderful friends here helping me for couple hours. Lots of food.

I took the antibiotics and delaudid stuff Monday. (Delaudid gives a headache and I think nausea and they gave anti nausea meds too).

Tuesday morning i woke with headache and I took last round of that mess and went to Tylenol. I feel much better now with a few little pains at drains but nothing crazy. Watched movies all day. Lots of food.

Wednesday woke up no headache just some chest soreness similar to being full when needing to breastfeed. Many things on this journey have felt the same as breast feeding right down to when the drains need emptied. Watched more TV and had wonderful lunch amd dinner visitors. ( got out for dinner yay! Salmon! Protein!) lots of food.

Today (Thursday) I got up and drains had slowed to half. I watched a few shows on TV, messaged my boss I was doing good.. stayed on my rounds of prophylactic antibiotics and had dr check one of my drain sites for infection.. looks good she said. Lots of food.

So tomorrow is Friday and I still have drains to contend with and no shower and it’s still in the 90s here. Mosquitoes bit me 8 -10 times at dusk but thats really nothing at this stage.

How is everyone else coming along? I know many of you are conquering the world now and too busy to chat.

Over the summer I took my Daughter to Wilderness of the Smokies waterpark and she enjoyed it thoroughly as did I since I have not vacationed in a couple years. Must do this every year.

What are your favorite vacation spots

• mountainmama406
    mountainmama406 Member Posts: 64
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3, right there with ya on needing anti nausea pills for the pain meds. Sorry that you’re dealing with drains again, that’s the worst part. I hope a shower is coming your way soon :)

I’m scheduled for round 2 of fat grafting in October. We just closed on a house today (wooooo!!) and will be busy painting/carpeting/moving in the new couple weeks.

Summer was fun and busy. I’m glad we all were recovered enough to enjoy it. I think one of the most fun things was a little day trip to mine for sapphires. They had kid bags with quartz and fossils which kept them so entertained. Kids started school and I’m loving routines again

• Nursepatient35
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3, hope those drains come out soon. I don't think a person can feel normal until those come out. Glad to hear you got to do a vacation. I feel like that was a big milestone here. When I first got diagnosed, I didn't think we'd be able to do anything fun this year. Hope everyone is doing well and it's always nice to hear from you all.

• 32B
    edited September 2018
    Options

I had my 6 month appointment with medical oncologist today. He said everything seemed fine which was a relief. He examined my healthy breast and had no concerns.

Post-exchange ladies, how are you doing with tightness/ROM? Any good exercises to share?

No vacations for me yet this summer but I'm hitting up Niagara Falls in a couple of weeks. Anybody been?

MountainMamma congrats on the house! Very exciting.

Jt3 I hope you get your drains out and can shower soon. It was one thing when we all had the first surgery in the winter, but now that it's hot and sticky you must be pretty uncomfortable.

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2018
    Options

Really well said. Thanks for your expressions

• Fembot
    Fembot Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2018
    Options

Nursepatient35, The implant flipped about 4 weeks after going in. Dr said there was no way if preventing it. Having a surgery to fix it was no big deal; not much pain after and not much scarring.

Joy2, Darn! Sorry you had tissue necrosis. Was it ok after 2nd surgery?

Kaywrite, I'm happy you're ok now. All the best!

Jt3, Hang in there and keep strong.

32B, Fantastic that your range of motion is almost 100%. Mine's about 45% in one arm.

Strengthandjoy, Wonderful! You've emerged with a positive mindset. Good for you girl. The experience sure is life-changing; epic.

HopefulAc, Congrats on the end of radiation. Has chemo finished too?

Mountainmama406, All the best for your sick friend. I'm happy she has you. Hugs!!!

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies, I hope everything finds all you well and recovered and repaired. It’s Sunday and in my 6th day here post bilateral exchange. I won’t gripe about the drains today as you all know how that is. I wanted to see what you all thought about this: I rolled to my side aLittle last night and noticed a little ooze this morning on the gauze. I hope its ok and no big deal. Did any of you experience this? I have had a little ooze around drains but not expecting much around incisions. Everything is so itchy as it heals. I can’t wait to get my drains out and love chatting with those that can understand.

• Nursepatient35
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3, is the oozing coming from the drain sites or incision? If it's coming from the incision I'd check with your doctor? They usually inject with exparel before closing. It's a morphine mixture that we'll see ooze out of incisions sometimes. That oozing usually occurs in the first couple days however. It could also be one of the drains is clogged. Be sure to strip the tubing at least twice a day. I got oozing from my drain sites when I wasn't stripping them enough. You can definitely complain about your drains! Those things are the worst. Hope yours can come out soon.

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

NP35, thanks, I can only guess that the yellow ooze is from the incision based on the placement in center of my chest but my drains were there last night too ...they hang in pockets around my neck..maybe i squished a bulb. I haven’t seen anything since. I see doc Tuesday. I am stripping bulbs twice a day. They are down to 7.5 ml at 8pm and about 12ml in the 8am time.

• 32B
    edited September 2018
    Options

Fembot, good to see you. It's a been awhile.

Jt3, yes you can always complain about drains. Man oh man I don't miss those things.

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Haven’t seen any more yellowish ooze since that morning... weird.

These silicone implants are so nice and soft compared to before with the TE.

I am just going to put this here because I know you all may understand more than my friends that haven’t had to deal with this on a personal level.

Today is an overcast Monday and I just got my seven year old ready and off to school and have a moment to just cry. She can’t even give me her special wonderful hugs. She wraps her little 7 year old arms around me and squeezes with all her might normally.

I am down to 10mL on each drain this morning and hopefully doc removes them tomorrow. Oh how I loathe the drains even though I understand their purpose.

I am just putting away a few things that got laundered. Once I am healed I am going to throw away every piece of clothing that reminds me of this. So many pinholes in shirts from the drains. I kept the old surgical bra from before and I hate seeing these blood stained things that remind me of such difficult days. Buying satiny pjs just to slide offbed makes me sad. Then I get angry then I just cry.

My dad was of the generation that saved everything down to the pitchers from his hospital rooms. When I would visit him it was traumatizing to me all over again to see those items scattered around the house. I know I have a fear of Doctors and hospitals for sure when even those things bother me! Gonna have to toss it all. I finally got rid of a bag from one of my moms nursing home stays. It had her name on it so I held on to it until it tore apart.

Lord get me through this Please and let me be healthy again. I miss my half marathons and century bicycle rides and random swims and other activities.

• Nursepatient35
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3, I feel your pain. It will get better. It just has to take a little time. I hated that for so many months I couldn't let my kids hug me or hold my 3 year old. And I understand about wanting to throw all that hospital junk away. I kept my stupid alcohol wipes and cups to empty the drains for a while and it felt great to pitch them. Same with a bunch of old bras. Those got tossed. I really think between the anesthesia and pain pills, a person can easily get depressed. I cried a lot when I was by myself sitting at home the first few weeks. The days will get better for you soon enough. You're on the down hill slide.

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

thanks np35! I am not taking any pain meds..just depressed on my own!

32B, glad your doc visit was ok. I had 100% range of motion back before exchanging but a tight shoulder issue to stay on top of with some of the scar tissue around drains it felt like it was sticking to my ribs. So lots of yoga stretches several times a day to break it up.

I may have missed some posts on here leading up to surgery my workload got crazy at work and I wanted to make my boss happy before taking a second leave for the year. I worry about losing my job

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Drains were out Monday and now I have all the itching from the healing/ lack of breathing on the skin!!! I showered today and I just want to itch/exfoliate! Some of the surgical tape is starting to peel off...

• 32B
    edited September 2018
    Options

Jt3 congrats on losing the drains! You must feel so much better!

I hear you on wanting to purge yourself of this experience. shirts with pinholes, underwire bras we don't need anymore, out with the old in with the new!

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2018
    Options

hi ladies!!! I’m scheduled to have my exchange surgery on October 8. I was told I could bring a front close sports bra with me and my ps will put me in it at surgery. Those of you who have had your exchange surgery what were your favorite post surgery bras

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi sll101984, the amoena front zip has been a favorite as well as some jockeys I can step into and pull up. Here is an amoena https://www.amoena.com/us-en/pocketed-clothing/pocketed-active-wear/zipper-bra-medium-support-blue-44476/

Here is a Jockey step through https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-modern-micro-scoop-crop-top

There is a Pretty in Pink breast cancer boutique here that would bill my insurance and then I could get amoena for $13

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

My two week checkup update today... and about bras...

Things are going good and healing I had to go shopping for a bra with a band no under wire today at Target to wear 24/7 for a month to make sure things stay put.

I was impressed with some super soft Hanes bras. Looks like i am now about a 36C. Where I used to be a D/DD.

This a very full 36C though..

I am glad to be on my way to feeling like myself and will try to work half days starting Monday.

• 32B
    edited September 2018
    Options

I have an extremely silly question for you guys: why no underwire bras? Is it just that we no longer need them, or is there a reason they're bad for the implants?

• Nursepatient35
    edited September 2018
    Options

Each PS must have a different take on bras. Mine never had me wear anything after both mastectomy or exchange. He was fine if I did but I guess he didn't care either way. The only thing I've ever heard about why not to wear underwire bras is the fact that we are pretty numb in that area and something could rub or poke or cut and you may not realize it. So...that was enough to scare me.

• Jt3
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi 32B,

I think NP35 hit the nail on the head. My Dr for the next month said to have a good band to support the new implants so they don't slide down. Definitely nothing like underwire that could poke them. I am so glad I am not in the military anymore having to worry about those pins and medals would drive me bonkers I think. Those never stayed on me right

• 32B
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks ladies! That makes a lot of sense! Thank you for your service, Jt3. I didn't realize you were in the military!

• 32B
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi guys! I just wanted to say Happy Breast Cancer awareness month! This year I am very, very aware of breast cancer, lemme tell you. I remember this time last year being worried that I might have BC, but still thinking I probably didn't. Is anyone doing anything special to raise awareness? Wearing a lot of pink? I'm not really but I feel like maybe I should.

• Jt3
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi 32b,

I went to a survivor meeting last night with our local abcd group. They are working on a fashion show gund raiser this year. Tomorrow is a bcrf fundraiser at our fleet feet running store I may go to. I posted this party in my running group as well. I tried to put on my 34b running bras and have 3 that won’t work and need a new home and its sad because they hardly got used.

• 32B
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks for sharing, jt3. I'm sure it's way different talking to other survivors in person.

• 32B
    edited November 2018
    Options

Happy Thanksgiving, February surgery ladies! I'm thankful that I met you all, and that things are looking much better than they were when this group started.