Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Ingerp. - yes I think it will be. Just this morning I wet it down moost it up. Then I teased a little bit on the top and hairspray in it. It stayed all day. I wasn't sure about the color last night I thought it was a little too reddish and dark but as the day is gone on each time I look in the mirror I feel more and more like I'm looking back at myself. It's kind of weird I feel like by changing my hair I'm lifting a little bit of last year's stuff off of me. Is that crazy or what?

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Life, it's a great color for you (your brother will be so pleased, lol). Looking good!!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Life there is *nothing* crazy about that. I have an app on my phone called "Timehop" that shows me pictures/posts/tweets/. . . from one year ago that day, two years ago, . . . , and I am now in the middle of my trip to Montana last year for my youngest's graduation. There are <uncharacteristically> a few pictures of me in the mix and I've *always* been a medium-to-longish haired blonde. You really hit the nail on the head. For the last year it hasn't been me looking back from the mirror--it's some dark, short-haired lady. I <again> almost bought some hair dye in the grocery store the other day but have never done any home color so am skittish about it. I think I'll let it get a couple of inches longer and then go have it properly trimmed up and highlighted. That will feel really good!! (Although I'm guessing not before late summer? I don't know how long your hair has to be before they can do something with it. Hey! Maybe it'll be a one-year PFC present to myself on August 3rd!!)

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

life,

I'm loving that color.. it came out great! I did notice after my first color my hair seems to take color better or it was more true to what the color should of been.

sending good vibes

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

LIFE - love that hair color. It's making me want to start colouring although I'm trying to hold out. I honestly think my hair is looking less silver/grey and more ash blonde right now. It's definitely still baby fluffy.

We leave for our Florida/Universal Studios trip tomorrow and I'm so excited. I'll be thinking of you all. Exciting to think of those of us finishing treatment and having final surgeries. What an amazing year we've all had.

• ingerp

Have fun, duffy. I'm going to WDW for a few days in September. Did not mean to go this year but *almost* got to tag along with hubby when he had a business trip to Orlando so that kind of got me jonesing for it. That place is so expensive but I do love it. Post pics!! :-)

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Want to go on vacation again!

• urdrago71

I love you all. Im here to ask, how does everyone find strength to get past Cancer. I went to work thru treatments. I struggled this last week with my CT scans and the doc saying everything looks ok, we will do another in 6 months. I finially seen the lab report, it said new nodule 6.5mm right lung ( i had 2 on that lung prior and they grew slightly) and my mind tuned into that. I read and realize that if none of them grow quickly in 4 months its good news dont worry. Then i found predict about my survival rate and my mind clicked on that and those odds suck.. Im concerned with what I dont know and I dont want to be .is that what PTSD?

• gawarrior

Duffy, have a blast at WDW!

Urdrago, I think we all have at least a little bit of PTSD. I know I do. I flipped out when I found the lump that ended up being fat necrosis. I just read that 1 in 4 BC survivors have PTSD and one aspect of it is continued fear. Trouble sleeping is another. Symptoms like that can come and go even years afterward. I try to stay off Dr. Google because I am ME, I am NOT a statistic and I can go down a rabbit hole very easily with Dr. Google. As for the lung nodules, there are many reasons for you to have them and most reasons are benign causes (a past infection, inflammation, scar tissue, etc). More than 90% of nodules that are less than 2 centimeters (like yours) are benign (it would have to be over 20 cm to fall into that more worrisome category). Keep in mind that you went through rads, which can cause lung nodules, and chemo can cause them, too. Try not to worry (I know it is SO hard not to). One day at a time is the only way to get through this. Sending {{{{BIG HUGS}}}}

• ingerp

urdrago I think you’re being rational and still want answers you don’t have. Do you need reinforcement that at this point you have nothing to worry about? I really liked what GAW told you. Is there anything you can do in the next few days/weeks that would make you feel better? Are you convinced that you’re okay to wait another six months and then have another scan? Do you trust your doctors? If you can accept that this is where you are and you’ve done everything you can do, then it’s time to focus on anything else in your life *but* BC. Of course if you’re not able to find some joy in life then you should consider talking to a professional. I’m sure your cancer center has some referrals for you. I’ve only been in therapy once in my life but in my mind it was a wonderfully self-indulgent thing to do. Like getting a massage every week. It was some time each week to talk to a neutral ear about anything I wanted to. It’s really good self care.

I hope this Saturday morning finds you a little brighter. Do something nice for yourself.

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

urdrago, I really dont have the answer. The waves of fear can be very intense. When you asked how we all get past cancer I dont know that we ever really get past it but live with it. My hormone receptors were so low on oncotype that I was very close to triple neg. With other auto immune conditions I cant help but think bc is another way my body is turning on me. We all have different ways of coping. I hope your good periods out weigh your periods of worry. Hugs to you my friend.

Looking great LIFE. Hope you enjoyed your pampering. Inna B I wish you could go with me. We leave tomorrow. GAW, yep on the headbands

Happy Mothers day to all. Enjoy your weekend. Hugs

• gawarrior

DebAL, have fun in Punta Cana!

Ingerp, less than a week to go :)

• ingerp

GAW: Heart

• urdrago71

A friend sent this article about protecting our bones. I found it to be worth asking my MO at the next appointment.

Can Bisphosphonates Stop Breast Cancer from Spreading to Bones? - MedShadow

https://medshadow.org/breast-cancer-bisphosphonates-bones/

• InnaB2018

My doctor already informed me that she wants me to start Zometa infusions once I recover after the surgery.

Urdrago, there hasn’t been a day when I don’t think about cancer. But thanks to my yoga practices I don’t get panic attacks anymore when I do.

We belong to the select group of people who felt death brushing our sleeves, and this experience affects the way we live our life. Of course we have PTSD, this past year was very traumatic and scarred us (directly And metaphorically) forever. Try deep breathing exercises, acupuncture and yoga. Maybe some anti-anxiety pill as well. Don’t dwell on it. All things come to pass eventually. This too shall pass.

• urdrago71

thanks all.

InnaB, I will take ur advise and go back to the gym. I had a ruff day and need to get my life back on track.

Happy Mothers Days..

• gawarrior

Urdrago, thanks for the article on bisphosphonates. I'll ask my MO about them at my next visit. Meanwhile, you all should be aware that bisphosphonates can cause osteonecrosis of the jaw (death of the bone) with certain dental procedures - especially if given via IV.

My dental journals say: "For patients taking these drugs, good oral hygiene and regular dental visits are essential. Prior to starting bisphosphonate therapy, addressing existing dental issues is a best-practice strategy. Generally speaking, if routine dental treatment—such as prophylaxis (teeth cleaning), fluoride carriers, dental restorations, or dentures—is indicated, no special precautions are required for these patients. However, if more invasive treatment is needed, such as extractions, periodontal surgery, or surgical root canal treatment, use of bisphosphonates should be delayed for a month to allow sufficient time for bone recovery and healing."

Wishing all the moms a very Happy Mother's Day!

• ingerp

• Frog-on-the-lilypad
    Frog-on-the-lilypad Member Posts: 159

Life, you look wonderful. That cut and colour suits you.

Urdrago, I hope you are feeling better. I think we never get fully past it. It might sound depressing. But,has given me a different way to look at things. I try not to worry about how things look to outsiders or what they might think. If I want to do something, I try to do it most of the times. Pre 2018, I would think of all the ways things could go wrong and look out for them to avoid or rectify even before they happened. Guess what, things still go wrong. Not much point stressing.

In regards to Zometa, GA warrior makes a good point. The jaw necrosis thing is serious. Also my MO said that it is only helpful for menopausal women and for hormone receptor positive cases. I have a link somewhere will try to find it and post.

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I am having a gala time. Though right now am stuck in the hotel room as my kiddo was too tired and wants to sleep. We are in Nice, France now and it is so nice and sunny outside. Posting a pic taken at Duomo, Milan.

• ingerp

Frog that's gorgeous! And I loved Nice--I miss my traveling days. Seems I stopped going to Europe after we had kids. I guess that's something I can get back to in retirement!

• gawarrior

Frog, I'm sure you're having a great time (color me jealous). Love the pic. And I agree with you about doing things I wouldn't have prior to 2018. I'm also working on saying "no" more often, although that doesn't seem to be going as well, lol.

Interesting to hear about the Zometa/bisphosphonates possibly not working for us tnbc people. Sigh...so much doesn't work for us.

• life1963

Hello everyone!

Undrago Yep I too struggle with recurrence fears. I agree. We have all been through a lot and you can't just let that go. I have been told by people that are years out that it gets easier every year. It's just hard to wrap your mind around that right now because it's so fresh. I like the idea of getting into the gym and just getting back into your life. I still have a little bit of struggle with that. But it is definitely good advice.

Super jealous of all these vacations coming up and/or going on! Frog thank you for sharing that beautiful scenery behind you. I have never been out of the country. I haven't even really been in a whole lot of the states.

Heading to Vegas myself in June, BF has a bowling tournament and I'm just going to go hang out and be with the group. That's been kinda stressful. I never left my fur babies that long. Usually my neighbor takes care of them but they are going to be gone. So I am hiring a dog sitter.

Fighting a cold right now. A lot of people at work had it and behold look who gets to catch it. I can't remember when I have had a cold. They're such a pain, there's absolutely nothing you can do but let it run its course. There's no magical pill, herb, or tactic to get rid of it. UGG!

Ingerp. 4 MORE DAYS! 👍

I will check in again soon! Huggs!

• life1963

Hello everyone!

Undrago Yep I too struggle with recurrence fears. I agree. We have all been through a lot and you can't just let that go. I have been told by people that are years out that it gets easier every year. It's just hard to wrap your mind around that right now because it's so fresh. I like the idea of getting into the gym and just getting back into your life. I still have a little bit of struggle with that. But it is definitely good advice.

Super jealous of all these vacations coming up and/or going on! Frog thank you for sharing that beautiful scenery behind you. I have never been out of the country. I haven't even really been in a whole lot of the states.

Heading to Vegas myself in June, BF has a bowling tournament and I'm just going to go hang out and be with the group. That's been kinda stressful. I never left my fur babies that long. Usually my neighbor takes care of them but they are going to be gone. So I am hiring a dog sitter.

Fighting a cold right now. A lot of people at work had it and behold look who gets to catch it. I can't remember when I have had a cold. They're such a pain, there's absolutely nothing you can do but let it run its course. There's no magical pill, herb, or tactic to get rid of it. UGG!

Ingerp. 4 MORE DAYS! 👍

I will check in again soon! Huggs!

• urdrago71

Frog, I too am really jealous of the view you have and omg the beautiful architecture. Thank you for sending..Your hair is getting long.

Im going next week to the hair dresser to get it evened out..Ive been trimming with my own shears..lol my hair dresser knows all the things I do my self til I cant take it any more. I cant highlight so thats always a win,win for her..

Have a grand weekend..

• gawarrior

IngerP, woohoo, Happy Final Herceptin Day!

Life, hope you're feeling better. You'll enjoy Vegas this summer, I'm sure. Have the dog sitter send daily pics of your fur babies, that will help you worry less.

Urdrago, I'm ready to highlight my hair but I feel like it would get lost in the curls, lol.

• ingerp

GAW--as always, hugs to you for remembering. I'm playing fun music this morning, and have already cried once. I need to jump in the shower, then going to pick up some flowers for my favorite infusion center volunteer and cupcakes for the whole staff. Then treatment, then home where a friend will stop by to share a glass of bubbly. Then pack up and head off to a weekend of solitary reflection. I am even more emotional than I'd anticipated. Hope I don't flood the infusion center with tears before I head out of there. Picture to follow. . .

• InnaB2018

Ingerp, congrats on your milestone! What an emotional day!

• life1963

Ingerp sounds like you have a wonderful day planned and a great weekend ahead! 😎

So happy for you!!

• ingerp

• life1963

Ingerp. Love It!!! Congrades!!!