Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

Hi, guys, I thought to pop in to see how everybody is doing. I'm ok, I guess. Anastrozole is decimating my joints, though. Had a shot for a trigger finger, which didn't help. Going to get another one on Monday. In the mornings I move like a zombie until I do my exercises. Decided to get off Effexor, as I believe it caused additional weight gain. My acupuncturist is doing a pretty good job controlling my hot flushes. It's so unpleasant to get off Effexor! I'm in my third week of the process and feel like crap. In 2 weeks I'm going to see a surgeon about possibly qualifying for a lymphedema surgery. Can't wait!

GAWarrior, are you going to do implant exchange? Sorry, I must've missed it. Are they bothering you? I am not a big fan of mine either. Good luck to you

Ladies, you looked great with your long hair, but you look great with short one too! I can't relate, as my hair has always been short, thin and pin-straight. Now it's also short, but much thicker and wavy. I like my newhair much better.

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

Inna good to hear from you! I do know of one woman who loved her chemo curls and started getting perms when they relaxed. Sorry about the Effexor, and the LE surgery.

I had a low-key birthday yesterday, partly because I'm leaving on my one annual business trip this morning (yes it's 3:00 AM!). This meeting floats around the country (I guess make that "North America") and is in Toronto this year. I've never been, but will only have a little time today to see the city and it's looking pretty rainy up there. Oh well. . .

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

ingerp its crazy rainy over this way. Im five hours west,slightly south and its been raining since Saturday. Happy birthday wishing you a lovey trip!

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Inger, belated happy birthday to you! Hoping you can see some of Toronto, rain-free. It's been raining all weekend here, due to Tropical Storm Olga, which I think is what Urdrago has been getting, too. Take heart, the sun came out around noon today! Thanks for the hair tips, too!

Inna, it's good to hear from you, but I am sorry about the lymphedema and joint pain. It's always something, isn't it? Yes, my implants are bothering me - particularly the cancer side. I have intermittent stabbing pain, like a hot ice pick or sometimes like the breast is being squeezed or "caught" under my bra. Plus I have never been happy with how they look. I'm hoping this upcoming surgery will fix some of that, but I have heard that some women always have breast pain and they actually have to do a surgery to "fry" the nerves (can't think of what it's called - ugh, chemo brain). FWIW, a patient of mine just finished 10 years of AI when I saw her in September - she'd had joint pain the entire time and was soooo hoping it would go away now that she's off of it. I'll update everyone when I see her again in the spring. I'm glad you are happy with your hair, at least!

• ingerp

Checking in because I had a six-month follow-up with my MO. It was a no-go for any kind of chemical help with the fatigue. She did suggest I try exemestane (vs. the anastrozole I’m currently on), thinking if it’s not any better I could then approach my PCP and tell her I tried several kinds of AI. It’s been a weird week. I got home from a business trip Wed night and discovered Thu morning that several things had been stolen from the bag I checked—my work cell phone, A BRAND NEW APPLE WATCH I WON AT THE CONVENTION, and my anastrozole (yeah good luck with that you stupid thief). Spent a lot of time on the phone yesterday dealing with the fall-out of all of that, and then we lost power. It’s actually been a not-bad day because I can’t work. Had a nice long shower at the gym before my appt, ate a really unhealthy breakfast sandwich from Mickey D’s, and am now at an early afternoon movie. And I was stunned to hear from my MO’s nurse that I’ve lost 11 pounds since January. !!! I really was not trying to, although one of my resolutions this year was to cut back on sugar. I haven’t gotten on a scale in like two years cuz I’m trying to focus on health rather than weight but what a nice surprise

• gawarrior

Oh, wow, Ingerp, so sorry about the theft (people suck), but yay for the weight loss!

• ingerp

BTW—another small milestone yesterday. My MO said on Friday and I guess I agree that my hair (at least some days?) is straightening out a little, at least on top. (I also remembered that my old hair was straighter on top, curlier underneath.) I blow-dried (blew dry?) the top and sides of my hair yesterday. !!! Can’t say I love the results (I think it makes me look a tiny bit more old-lady-like) but I gotta say it looks a little more like <somebody’s> normal hair. The last time I used my hair dryer was for my college reunion, the first weekend in June of 2018. I’d had three weeks of chemo and was grateful that enough hair stayed to get me through the weekend. I buzzed it down to about an inch that Sunday. Baby steps. .

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600

hi everyone, been away for a bit. I was finding it difficult to move forward if I was on the forum too much. GAW and I had this discussion when we met last year. I found myself reading where I shouldnt be. I need to stick to the Cat thread lol and of course here.

InnaB so sorry about the lymphadema. I can't even begin to understand. Im pretty sure my PS is one that does some type of micro surgery for that. I do understand the AI joint symptoms. The more I move the better but in the evening I age 25 years the minute I sit down for any length of time. I'm going to ask for my 2 year bone density test when I see BS this Friday. Its a little early but its due Feb anyway and I met deductible. Doing yoga sporadically. I need to get back to a routine there. I'm just afraid to switch and trade off for possibly worse side effects. I hear some have cholesterol issues. My levels have always been really good there. Don't want to add heart disease to the mix. Please keep us posted and I hope you find relief soon.

Urdrago..your hair looks great..same to Duffy. Beautiful color. You both would look better with an Ohio state bow in it though lol

GAW..its been a year since our meeting. Hard to believe. I know you want to get this surgery behind you. Keep us posted. Love the pic of you and Bryce

LIFE, hope you are doing well! You too engine, linda. Frog you are gorgeous as ever

Ingerp...guessing the thief thought anastrozole was an opioid. If she's a female she should have a dry vagina in no time lol. Great pic. Hoping your hair is getting there!

I still have not had a hair cut. Just going with the flow. Its relaxing on the top. Really curly on the bottom. Especially underneath. curls wrap around my finger really tight. I was air drying up until a few weeks ago. Now that its cold out i bought a diffuser and use it for 2 min max to get some of the dampness out. I find curls are drying...DUH..then had the idea to use my wig shampoo ( wore the wig 3 times) paraben free, hydrating, very moisturizing. And it didn't go to waste. My hair was on the thin side before so I hope to keep some curls or at least some body. It would be pretty long if I try to flat iron it.

I hope you all have a great Sunday. Its cold but beautiful colors outside. Hugs to all of you.

• ingerp

Wow, Deb--you have so much hair! I think it looks beautiful!! Just an FYI on the dry curls. I've been putting a hair oil on my hair pretty much every day after I wash/condition it. It started with me just trying to use up a bunch of old hair products I've accumulated and thinking that with the stupid chemo curl I could put whatever I want on my hair and it wouldn't matter. I was afraid my hair would look oily every day but it really doesn't. My hair doesn't seem dry either. And I posted above about returning to the hair dryer just yesterday. I used a round brush yesterday and today, but am going to dig up a diffuser and see how that looks maybe tomorrow. We had the discussion a while ago that with cooler temps coming, we can no longer wash our hair and let it air dry for three hours!

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

I love you, ladies! DebAl, you look great!

Ingerp, sorry about the theft. What idiot would want to steal Anastrozole? May he/she be struck with the trigger fingers soon. So jealous about the weight loss!

• duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Member Posts: 217

Deb - your hair looks so great!

Ingerp - so sorry to hear about the theft. That's just crappy.

My trip to Arizona was near perfection even though it was really cold. We hiked in Sedona and the Grand Canyon and had an great tour of the Antelope Canyon.

• ingerp

Duffy that is a stunning picture!

• gawarrior

Beautiful, Duffy - I'm glad you have a blast despite the cold. That's a gorgeous part of the country. I'd love to hike Antelope Canyon one day.

Deb, you look great!

Ingerp, I'm glad you're feeling a teensy bit better about your hair. :)

• duffyzmom

GAW - I really want to go back and to the Rim to Rim Grand Canyon hike. I told hubby maybe for my 55th birthday.

• gawarrior

OMG, Duffy, that's a 24 mile (one way) hike! You'll need lots of training for that one (down wouldn't be bad, but up is another story!). I agree, it would be very cool, though. It looks like you can stay in a campground at the bottom of the canyon. My sister was going to do it with a friend this past summer, trained a LOT, and then wasn't able to go when it got closer (can't remember why). She was pretty bummed about it. Here's an article about the hike (the comments are very enlightening): https://www.nationalparks.org/connect/blog/grand-canyon-rim-rim-hike

SickTired

• ingerp

Hair update. Still hate it but this is how it’s looking these days. I’m now blow-drying with a round brush. 🤷🏼♀️

• gawarrior

Looks very pretty, Ingerp! I hope the new style helps you feel better about your hair. By the way, have you considered buying and wearing a long-haired wig? I am completely serious - you hate your current hair and a wig would make you look more like "you," while keeping your head warm this winter (unless it would bring up bad memories). Just a thought...

• ingerp

Oy, GAW—I never was a wig gal. I did the whole bald thing with baseball caps and bandannas. I really *do* think I’m making progress in terms of the curl relaxing a bit and I just have to be patient with the length (ugh). I do stumble across pictures of me a year ago and I guess we have all come a long way. Trying to look at the bright side (mostly).

I’m in Boise this weekend and my whole family is joining me!! We’re celebrating my FIL’s 90th. It’ll be a super fun (but exhausting!) weekend.

• gawarrior

Glad you are a little happier with your hair, Ingerp. Have a great time with your family. Happy birthday to your FIL - 90 is quite the milestone! I hope we all make it to that age.

• ingerp

GAW that’s a new profile pic, right? I must say your hair looks pretty normal. Still far different from your pre-BC hair I’m sure but it doesn’t look too chemo curly. Hooray

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Well I'm just going to say really quick that I just got done typing for about 45 minutes on my phone commenting on everyone's different post. However I don't have a computer so I do it on my phone. I don't know what the f just happened but I lost all my post!! I think I'm just going to go get me a computer so that I can actually have a conversation with you ladies without wanting to throw my phone across the room!!!

Now I don't have time to revisit and repost everything until later. I do read everyone's post all the time so I am keeping up on everyone. You all look absolutely wonderful!

Now I have to refrain from just wanting to pick up this phone and throw it across the room. Everyone have a great day!

• gawarrior

Lol, sorry, Life! Black Friday is coming - get a laptop or PC then. :)

Yes, IngerP, it's a new profile pic for me. I was interviewed for a human interest story in our local newspaper (promoting the American Cancer Society's Road To Recovery program, which I volunteer for) and that's the pic I took to send in to accompany the piece. It looked pretty decent, so I uploaded it. My hair has always been curly - just not as much when it is long (it's more wavy). I do see it relaxing though - in odd spots, like one chunk along one cheek so I am lopsided, lol.. It's definitely thinner in spots, but at least I have it! As for going out wet, I just put water on my hands and scrunch the hair with my wet hands in the morning. That way it isn't soaked and the curls spring right back.

Stay warm everyone!

• duffyzmom

GAW - I've been thinking when I move back to the USA I'd like to volunteer with Road to Recovery Has it been a good experience for you?

My update is I'm now the queen of biopsies. Two polyps removed during my colonoscopy yesterday and today dermatologist biopsied the spot I'm pretty sure is basal. So I'll keep you updated. Gastro Dr didn't think polyps looked suspicious but dermatologist seemed to agree with me. FYI the PlenVU prep for colonoscopy was AWFUL next time I'm going back to the old high volume method.

• urdrago71

duffy, that sounds painful! I really want to ask how comfortable was skin biopsy ? What happens if its basal? Glad to hear polyps are suspicious..

For a month or so ive had a red blemish on my dx breast.went to dermatologists monday she might have to do that on my breast. It came back negative for fungi scrap test, and im waiting to start steriods ointment as she thinks maybe radiation dermatitis..Ugh... but if it dont work skin biopsy. Sounds like the docs are doing target practice..lol. on me

Ive got good new, so balance this all out.. CT of chest came back stable( i had nodules) they say follow up test so April 2020..Also skin changed my dx breast ..thicker from radiation so doc and I wasnt sure if I had a bump.. mammogram and ultrasound came back negative.

My achy random joint pains, muscle spasm.CBD lotions in near future, i asked at my appt, and ive got a direction so Im going to try it. I'll keep you updated on my results.

Gawarrior, you are a great candidate to speak about the recovery road. Unwanted First hand experience. Honestly, your very supportive and data driven for accurate infomation..woohoo, thank you !! Btw. Ive noticed in some areas my head of hair is thinner..

Life, ive done the same thing, absolutely frustrating!

Sending warm vibes.. freezing here , 12 degrees windchill 3 degrees outside, and 5 inches of snow..welcome Winter

• gawarrior

Duffy and Urdrago, yay for good biopsy news!

Duffy's basal cell will have to come off if it really is one, Urdrago. Remember I had that MOHS surgery on the basal cell on my nose back in Feb? They take it off in sections, then you wait in the waiting room while they look at it under a microscope. They do this until they have clean margins all around. Then tiny stitches. The biopsy for mine was numbing, then taking a slice - not bad. The surgery really wasn't bad either (although I WAS comparing it to a DMX at that point, lol).

RE Road To Recovery - I recommend it! You can choose your parameters (how far you will drive) and which days you will drive. They only ask that you try to give one ride a month (I do more), but you can just pick up one leg of the ride which counts as one drive. I just picked someone up on Friday at her home and dropped her at her MO, then went back home, Other times I have done both ways. You apply to do it (they check your driving record), then video training online. Then you have a portal that lists the rides needed and you can just go in and review, then select which rides you want to do, if any. It's very easy and the patients are super appreciative. Plus, first hand experience is a blessing for them - I picked up one lady who was freaked to have just been upgraded from Stage 1 to 2 at that appointment so I could help talk her through it.

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, i forgot you also had that until you reminded me. I went onto the American cancer society and signed up to help drive others to their appt... thank you

• ingerp

Oy duffy. Not sure if I posted above that I'm getting a colonoscopy on Monday. I am weirdly afraid of the prep. I have something called Suprep. I feel like I'm pretty brave about a lot of things but this just freaks me out. I've only had one before (about ten years ago of course), and I guess the good news is if this one comes out okay I think my PCP said I'll only ever have to have one more (around age 70).

• gawarrior

Awesome, urdrago, that's great that you have volunteered! PM me if you have questions. FYI, it took them awhile to get me processed so I could do the training videos. You do them at your own speed once they have run your license through the DMV..

Good luck on Monday, Ingerp. I get colonoscopies every 5 years (strong family history). The prep is the worst, the procedure is a piece of cake. Take a lot of reading material into the bathroom, lol.

• ingerp

You mean good luck Sunday night, GAW. Winking

• duffyzmom

Urdrago - Biopsy is just a razor blade that takes of an upper layer. Not painful at all they numb you with lidocaine before the razor comes out. If it is Basal it depends on whether or not it is just superficial. If it is just superficial they use a cream to treat it. If it appears to be deeper then I'll have a MOHS. I had one on my first Basal Cell about a decade ago it was on my forehead near hairline and was no big deal. And I feel you with the cold/snow. When I booked 3 medical appointments for this week it was because I was trying to beat the winter. No such luck my house in Michigan ended up with almost 10 inches of snow Tuesday.

Ingerp - Let me know how the Suprep affects you. I'll never do the PlenVu again. The biggest issue was it took me until almost 8:30am to get clear and the 2nd dosage at 5am tasted so bad. I got it down but then a half hour later was so nauseous I threw up. I was so afraid they would make me reschedule after all the prep I didn't sleep at all. With the High Volume prep last time I was clear before midnight and was able to sleep. Like GAW I'm a every 5 years colonoscopy patient. My first polyp 5 years ago was Tubular which is the type that can progress to cancer so I'm happy to do them every 5 years. The butt Dr said some people are just prone to polyps and I guess that's me. Grab a good book or Download something to binge watch for Sunday evening. I highly recommend Killing Eve I recently binged the first 2 seasons.

GAW thanks for the information on Road to Recovery. Our guess is we'll be relocated back to the USA sometime next year so I'm already looking for ways to give back.