Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Chemo starting April 2018

Comments

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500

Ladies, Im relived that Im not alone in the leg cramps but than I wished we didnt have them as well. Im going to my hydration and salt intake. See if it gets better.

Hair, im at a point that Im struggling. I can relate to the thought and image that we seen ourselves two years ago but now we look different. I want to date again but Ive not taken pics of the current me, no hair styles, and not comfortable with the new me. I am around ppl I know they know what I went thru and are use to the new me. But others Im not and new pics to go onto dating site Im not ready!

• ingerp
    ingerp Member Posts: 1,515

urdrago—did not know you were looking to date. That must be hard. It’s like he’d be meeting someone who isn’t the real you. That said I do believe (maybe because I have to) that maybe by next summer we’ll all look a little more like our pre-BC selves. That’s a long time to wait, but at least that’s what I’m telling myself. Hang in there.

• life1963
    life1963 Member Posts: 364

Hi everybody! I too was struggling big time with leg cramps. My chiropractor put me on double dose of magnesium calcium at night. Worked like a charm. However if I start getting nervous legs I drink Gatorade. If I start slacking on my magnesium calcium I do start experiencing leg cramps again. I too think it is the anastrozole.

I just recently got a haircut because as my hair was growing I was starting to feel like I was looking like Bozo the Clown. I had her thin it out. And then highlighted some of it blond and left the rest Brown.

Still fighting the fleas situation. I'm constantly itching my own head and I know it's just in my mind but I just can't stop! LOL Very stressful! I really think that I am maybe going overboard on it though because I go online and I hear how people have fleas worse than I could imagine. My Own Boss even told me that where she live they got them every single year and there was absolutely nothing they could do because it was so hot and humid.

Urdrago I can't really say that I understand what you're going through as far as dating. I have often told myself that if it doesn't work out with my SO that I would just be done. Who knows. What I do know is the pictures that you have been posting out here show me a very beautiful woman. Your post show you have a very caring heart. if your looks are holding you back from dating. I honestly truly believe you are just a complete knockout! What would it hurt to go out with someone. Dating in my eyes doesn't necessarily mean life time commitment. Dating is just getting to know somebody. Enjoying doing things that you like to do together as well as learning and experiencing you're own differences. Not to mention you already went through a year of nothing but focusing and dealing with treatments and solitary. I may not know you personally but I really do believe you have a lot to offer. Even as a friend. Life's too short! You can always date once in awhile and still get to know yourself in the process. (Just Saying) 😉🤗😎

Oh! Thank you for birthday wish too! :)

• InnaB2018
    InnaB2018 Member Posts: 766

urdrago, I totally get it. Sometimes I don’t recognize myself in the mirror. I have a different body, different hair and different attitude to life. I’ve gained 20lb since diagnosis due to steroids, anastrozole, Effexor and oophorectomy. My hair, ironically, is better then before. It’s thicker, coarser and wavier. But I am not sure how to style it yet. Coming back to you, urdrago, you are beautiful even if you are not at peace with the way you look. Your amazing personality shines through on every picture. Dating must be difficult, though. Good luck to you

Today is exactly one year PFC. I think I will always think of this day as my second birthday.

• life1963

• ingerp

Oh gosh, Life your hair looks normal! Not at all like chemo curl!! Hope the rest of us can join you soon. :-)

• urdrago71

Happy Birthday Life

• urdrago71

Engine, hope you drop in to say hello soon. Its been since April that uve drop in on us !

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much to Urdrago for checking with us. I am sorry for not having been on in the last several months.

All is well here. Janice had a followup with her onco about three weeks ago. He was happy with her progress. Her counts were fine, except fpor her platelets, which were a little low. Her platelets have always been low since her leukemia in 2002.

We went on an Alaskan cruise in July. It was amazing!

Interesting to read that some of you have been getting leg cramps. Janice has had them too. I wonder if it is neuropathy? She had that in her feet pretty bad. It is better now. Anyway, her mom used to get leg cramps and she would keep tonic water in the frig. Tonic water had quinine in it and that apparently helps to relieve cramps. It works for Janice anyway. It's probably even better with gin in it :)

Take care everyone.

-Larry

• gawarrior
    gawarrior Member Posts: 368

Happy birthday, Life! And I agree with Ingerp, your hair looks great (and normal!). You look very happy, despite the fleas. Thanks for the magnesium recommendation.

Urdrago, I am also going to chime in on dating, which is tough at any point in one's life. But, here's the thing - the new guy would not know the "old you" so he wouldn't know whether your looks, hair, body etc were different. In that respect, you can overlook what you went through and just get back out there. However, I also think it's a head game and you just may not be ready to date yet even though you feel like you want to. It's another something on your plate, you know? An obligation, so to speak, to go through the effort that comes with dating. You are beautiful inside and out and don't need to worry about your looks (IMO), but you do have to be comfortable. Like Life said, dating can also just be for fun and getting to know someone, but if you are looking for that special someone, my opinion is that, if they can't accept the current you, they are not worthy of next year's more comfortable you. <hops off soapbox>

InnaB, congrats on one year PFC!!

Edited to add: Hi, Engine, I just saw your post - it's so great to hear from you! I'm happy that you got to enjoy your Alaskan cruise and that you and Janice are doing well. :)

• InnaB2018

Happy Birthday, Life! You look great!

Good to hear from you, Engine! Glad to know Janice continues to do well.

Thanks to Anastrozole I got a trigger finger get on my lymphedema hand. Going for a shot Bawling

• life1963

Thanks everybody for the birthday wishes! Also the very nice compliments.

Hi Engine! Glad to hear that Janice is doing good. Alaska I hear is very beautiful!

InnaB I was told by a gal who struggled with trigger finger on both hands that she started taking Turamic. She actually is not even a person dealing with any kind of after effects of treatment. It just started happening to her. I'll send you a picture of the bottle that she gave me if I can find it so you can know what kind.

Ever since I join Weight Watchers I feel like I need to eat everything in sight. It's almost like when I was just going about my own business and doing what I wanted without worrying about it I was doing much better. Now it's like I am in this rebellious kid stage that says I'm going to eat what I want when I want. Then I'll count up my points and go ugh. 🙄

Well Orkin came and sprayed today. He said he'd be back by next week to let let me know how everything looks. Kenzier/Cookie and myself are just hanging out around SO's house waiting to be able to go home. I won't let them go in his house right now until I know for sure is everything is settled down with everybody. I've also been told ss the temperatures continued continue to get colder they're going to die out anyways. I've never been one to rush a freeze, but bring It on!

Everybody have a great weekend! InnaB I will send that picture if I find it.

Julz

• life1963

• Engine104
    Engine104 Member Posts: 241

Alaska was amazing. It was the first real vacation (other than visiting our son in Chicago) we've been on in 10 years.

Here is a picture we took in Glacier Bay...

• InnaB2018

Life, thank you for the picture! I do take turmeric, but probably not enough. Will ramp it up!

Engine, I concur! Alaska is breathtaking!

• urdrago71

Engine so happy to hear from you gorgeous view.

Life , feel so bad for you and the flea invasion. I give my dog a month tablet for fleas and tick prevention, keeps my indoor cat safe as well.

Gawarrior/Life, I put dating on the back burner. Im going to keep going on with normal til the right someone finds me..

I went yesterday for repeat mammogram/ultrasound dx side. Still all clear.I was a bit nervous when the doctor came in afyer ultrasound to redo the exam. But finish and gave me the all clear. Sign of relief! Oct 5th will be 1 year since cancer was removed.

Have a great week sending Fall vibes.

Holidays are quickly approaching Christmas in 14 weeks!!

• ingerp

urdrago--I do think if you keep getting out and doing things you're interested in, you might run across some new friends. Congrats on the clear mammo!! September is *flying* by. I had to make a six-week follow-up appt last week and realized it'll be during my birthday week (last week in Oct). 2020 will be here before we know it.

Life--we've always given our dogs flea/tick medicine and never seen a flea in the house. Maybe that's a good idea once those buggers are gone?

After that long, boring summer, I'm in Fun Fall mode. A bunch of friends were in town last weekend for the UVA/FSU football game and there were fun gatherings going on the whole weekend. Plus my youngest (one of the CA kids) had business in Richmond the week before so he was home. He and the other CA kid and his wife are in town this weekend for a local wedding. Then my sister and some friends come to town for the winery tour thing. Then in early Oct my whole family meets up in Chicago to celebrate my stepFIL (who I think I told you passed away in August). Late Oct is my bday and a business trip to Toronto. Early Nov is another family meet-up for my FIL's 90th, and I'll go to CA for Thanksgiving. And then it's December!! Okay there's a colonoscopy in there (ugh) but other than that lots of fun fun fun. I was pretty exhausted after this past weekend, but in a good way.

We are still having occasional 90-degree days, but a lot of the nights are cooling off. I love this time of year!!

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, all,

Today is 1 1/2 years NED! I finally emailed my oncologist to see which date to use for what. He said my first surgery date because they got out all the cancer. I'm good with that! And then the years for taking the AI began after my last chemo (although I'll have to question him on that, since I went off it during radiation so I could qualify for the clinical study, so it may be later).

I'm sorry everyone is experiencing the leg cramps. I had them something awful, but now I'm pretty much controlling them with a combination of smart water and a product sold on amazon called Ultima Replenisher - it has electrolytes and minerals. It has been working so well - I highly recommend it. The jar is small and kinda expensive, but you use maybe a tiny scoop - maybe a teaspoon and a half - each day.

Leaving to a trip to Europe on the 27th with all our kids - can't wait.

Glad your mammo was normal, urdrago. Happy late birthday, Life. Ingerp - sounds like a fun fall! Engine - Alaska - how wonderful! Innab and GAWarrior - greetings! Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Take care, everyone,

Linda

• gawarrior

Linda2119, I was just thinking about you - congrats on being 1 1/2 years NED! Your Europe trip is exciting - we'll need to hear about it (and see pics) when you get back. Thanks for the info on the Ultima replenisher, I'm going to check it out... By the way, what did you decide about replacing your implants? My surgeon keeps saying it's some astronomically low chance that you'll have a problem, but once you've gone through this, I can totally see why you would want to reduce even a small chance.

Urdrago, congrats on the all-clear (and the impending 1 year NED)!

I have my surgical check up tomorrow...thinking about discussing fat grafting with him because I have an area by one implant that clearly shows the seam. Does anyone who has had it care to weigh in? Worth it? Don't bother? How long were you out of work after the procedure? Many thanks!

• linda2119
    linda2119 Member Posts: 60

Hi, Robin,

Haven't decided anything about the implants. I think for me, its more about not liking the feeling of the implant than the recall. I've always been interested in DIEP, but I didn't like the surgeon in Denver that performs it; another surgeon that does it in Denver with great reviews doesn't take my insurance and won't even consult me; so I'd probably be going out of state for surgery, and I'm not ready to jump on board. So I'm just plugging along with a recalled implant in me!

I say go for the fat grafting - you will always see that seam and wonder if it can be fixed. JMHO.

• urdrago71

Gawarrior, did u get the all clear??

• gawarrior

Urdrago, yes the BS says I am all clear. Linda, you are right, I will always see the seam, so I did decide to have the fat grafting surgery (and also swap out implants and have the nips relocated at the same time). I have always felt like these implants were put in upside down...they are huge on the top and my nips are all they way down at the bottom. He can raise the height of the nips and will change out the implants to ones that are a higher profile (these are moderate profile), so they'll "stick out" more.at the bottom (that tear-drop shape) and look more natural. He says to do all of this will only be about an hour longer than just the nip revision and fat grafting. Since these are Allergan implants (although not the textured ones they are recalling), I think it will be good to just get the new ones (Mentor). Now let's see if insurance agrees...

Linda, the thought of the healing for DIEP scares me since it is 4 areas that must heal, but I think you'll have a better result. I am not wild about how these implants feel in my skin. They are always cold to the touch, too (although they don't feel cold to my chest, if that makes sense). From what I have read, DIEP would feel more like your originals. Thanks for your thoughts on the fat grafting!

• ingerp

GAW—I’ve been thinking about you. I almost feel like my hair is relaxing a bit, at least on the top and sides (and when I haven’t been sweating too much). I also stumbled across this from six months ago. We are definitely making progress!!

• gawarrior

Ingerp, you're right. Mine is definitely laying down more on the top. I have always had bangs, so I finally cut mine this past weekend and it made a big difference. I don't feel so poofy now. Today is the first day that I am going off to work without drenching it in water to tame it down.

• ingerp

Baby steps, GAW, baby steps. . . (I think I posted about a month ago that I now need a headband when I go to the gym. Hooray!!)

• gawarrior

Hey ingerP! I blew it dry and finished with a flat iron to smooth it. First time I've looked like the "me" I remember in 16.5 months. Hoping you can do something like this for the wedding.

• ingerp

GAW that looks like normal hair!! Have you thought about a trim? I guess one reason I’m not yet trying to tame the curls is I feel like it would show the true shape of my hair, which hasn’t been cut since March. I think I mentioned after I got the first color done that I’m going to wait until my new hair gal suggests a trim. For now I’m letting it go, getting a surprising number of compliments, but am nowhere near liking it myself. My second color appt is in about four weeks. We’ll see how that one goes. . .

Other little things—I have another PT appt this week (although will probably stop that soon—my thigh/hip are doing much better) and am going to a dermatologist for the first time in 10-15 years. I hit my out-of-pocket maximum in January so I’m trying to do as much medical stuff as I can think of this year. It’s costing me nothing.

I’ve also asked on another thread about what women get prescribed for fatigue. It occurred to me I have to lie down almost every day, and the wedding was absolutely awful. I wasn’t feeling sick but just very low energy and had an overwhelming urge to lie down the whole time. It didn’t dawn on me til the next day that it was fatigue—like I haven't felt since rads. I have a six-month follow-up with my MO 11/1 and am going to try to put my big girl pants on and talk to her about this. It’s so not like me to complain but if there’s help out there I’d really like access to it. I still have > four years on the AI. Ugh.

• InnaB2018

GAWarrior, you look great! Ingerp, sorry about the fatigue. I find if I start the day with exercise, I have much more energy during the day.

• life1963

Good morning ladies and Gent!

Sorry I haven't been out here lately. Kind of busy getting all the stuff I couldn't get done this summer before the snow flies. Still dealing with fleas. Someone told me if it got real cold enough they would die so I've been leaving my heat off. Well I can't take it no more. I turned on the heat last night. Poor dogs were shivering. Lol

I'm going to have to call Orkin again.

Ingerp your trip look like lots of fun. I get the emotions you speak of. I have been crying at the drop of a hat lately. I couldn't figure out why. After reading that you and others are as well, it makes more sense.

GaWarrier you look great. I wonder how everyone else is looking....🤔

I check in on this board at least two or three times a week. I feel like I need to start commenting earlier instead of trying to catch all up in one shot. LOL

Well I'm off to go to work now. I hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week!

Huggs

• ingerp

I'm curious about hair pics! I'll post another pic at the end of the month after my second color session. (My PT unsolicitedly commented on my hair color yesterday--weird but welcome!)