Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Surgery August 2018

Options

Comments

• Elijahgirl
    Elijahgirl Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2018
    Options

kk2018

1. Glad to hear you are doing fine. Over all I am happy with my DIEP but sometimes after radiation it can cause your skin to blister post surgery It happened to me and I had to get a skin graft. I am doing fine now. I chose to get the DIEP because it is a lasting alternative. I hope you get some better rest soon
  • Elijahgirl
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi ladies, just checking in hoping everyone is doing fine. Staying busy at work. And back at physical therapy for my knee. Also looking forward for my retirement in February. I am excited but also nervous about this new phase in my life. Keep in touch

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Elijah and ladies. Doing well here, planning to shop for a bathing suit soon and I guess look into mastectomy bras and prostheses... Still going flat and pretty comfortable with it. Still a fair amount of swelling below the incisions. Had a visit with a physiotherapist at the hospital (arranged by the Cancer Agency) and she was pleased with my range of motion. She showed me how to massage the incisions to prevent scar tissue from adhering.

Still no side effects from the Letrozole - so far so good

How is everyone else doing? Would be interested to hear from others...

• sheryl54
    sheryl54 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options

I'm going to have surgery tomorrow morning. Double mastectomy and reconstruction surgery to come later. How long before the doctor allows the patient to drive a car? I'm not a homebody but I don't know how I will feel about myself either.

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited October 2018
    Options

I was allowed to do anything that didn't cause arm resistance (lifting heavy things, pulling things, opening heavy doors, etc) as soon as I felt I could. For driving, you need to be off the prescription pain meds. I didn't drive much because my arm hurt where they did the ALD and it impacted my mobility, and of course my chest was sore so I didn't want the seat belt over it. Plus, my husband was home and I didn't like going out with my drains so I just sent him out to get whatever I needed. I think I waited about 1.5 weeks, but you could do it sooner if you feel better.

• beeline
    beeline Member Posts: 193
    edited October 2018
    Options

sheryl, I had a single mast with no reconstruction on the right side and was told 2 weeks to drive. Even then I found it made me quite sore (parallel parking was a nightmare!) but it was doable. Good luck for your surgery. Hope it all goes well!

• WonderWoman75
    WonderWoman75 Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2018
    Options

I had the double whammy BMX with immediate reconstruction and placement of tissue expanders. I drive a huge Jeep Wrangler that has a manual transmission. It took me 3 weeks before I could drive due to the physical upper body strength needed to shift and steer. I had surgery on 8/27 and I still find it hard to turn the wheel one handed. I feel like I am still in driving school all over again. Hand over hand.

Good luck. Sorry you are here.

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hi Ladies, well I will begin Phase II, of my reconstruction as I will be getting my foob nipples on the 29th of November, once that heels I will get my tattoos. It has definitely been an adjustment getting used to the new me so hopefully this will help make me feel a little more normal. Is anyone else getting new nipples

• Gramto4
    Gramto4 Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2018
    Options

Elijahgirl

I’m scheduled to have nipple reconstruction on December 27th. My surgeon left some extra skin under my right arm when I had my exchange surgery and will be using that to construct my new nipple. I had a UBX so only need one nipple. Looking forward to getting this surgery done so I can have a somewhat matching pair. I don’t know if I will be needing a tattoo since my surgeon said I have the option to have an actual nipple built or I could have a tattoo so I’m confused if I will need both or not?? I told him that I preferred a real nipple over the tattoo.Can you enlighten me on what your PS has told you. Thanks!

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Gramto4, from what I understand, is the main purpose for tattooing is to make it look like the areola around the nipple. They have also have 3D tattooing that also looks like a nipple without actually having the surgical procedure. Some women choose that route because they don’t want to have to wear a bra again. I chose both because I want to look as natural as possible. So with mine he is going to build my nipples first and then come in on a later date to color in the areola to make it look close to the real thing

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Please keep me in your prayers this weekend as it is the year anniversary of my mom’s lost to BC, feeling a little down. I also lost my dog a year ago today. I can hardly believe that they have been gone a year now

• NCGirl1
    NCGirl1 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2018
    Options

Elijahgirl. You are in my prayers! Just know you are tough and have rocked this process, and know your mom must be very proud of you!!!!!

• akmom
    edited November 2018
    Options

Keeping you in my thoughts Elijahgirl. xx

• WonderWoman75
    edited November 2018
    Options

I am trying to wrap my arms around you, but these damn TEs are getting in the way. I am sending you hope and love,

Elijahgirl. I know how it feels to lose a furr-child. I have no children, so my cat is my baby. I have lost two that were also my furr-children.

Please know that you have a team on women here, on your side. We are all fighting and praying for you. You started this sister-ship with your August 2018 Surgery post. We are all really here, because of your courage and inspiration.

YOU have been so strong and posting to keep the good vibes going.

YOU have been so inspiring and positive.

YOU too will overcome this horrible demon.

I wish you peace and happiness and please know that I am proud to say I am part of your sister-ship of loving and caring women. Hugs and prayers are being sent to you XOXO

WW

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

imageSo the ladies on either side of me were my inspiration to be proactive in my on health care. Mom has been gone a year now and my sister has been gone since March and had it not been for them my cancer might have never been found until it was to late. They have truely become my guardian angels and I miss them dearly our lost but Heavens gain.

Thanks so much for all the kind words, I have come to love you all very dearly.

P.s. this me when I left for the Navy, I retire in February, on to my next adventure.

• akmom
    edited November 2018
    Options

Lovely photo Elijagirl, thanks for sharing. xx

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

So I begin Phase II on the 27th as they are creating nipples for me, then I will get the tattooing done. Are apps you ladies going to get this done just curious

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

I wanted to pause and wish everyone a Blessed Thanksgiving, I hope you were able to share the it with your love ones may God bless each and every one of you ladies during this holiday season. I know how thankful I am to have you all walk this journey with me. Love Lor

• WonderWoman75
    edited November 2018
    Options

Happy late Thanksgiving to all as well. It was an emotional one. My dad is not doing so well and it felt so good to hug him, even though I felt like I was stoning him with my tissue expanders. It is still difficult for me to gauge my emotions. I broke down after hugging my parents and have cried a lot lately. My TEs are so uncomfortable.

I am struggling at work. Apparently, they don't think that I need time to get adjusted and they are watching me very carefully. I got a bad review on my teaching observation. another blow to my already crushed self-esteem. It makes me wish that I was able to take more time off. I went back to work 6 weeks post op. I guess that is what I get working for a top rated school in Illinois that thinks that all students, even my special ed kiddos should be scoring at the top on all state and national assessments. Not fair if you ask me.

I am on an antidepressant to try and manage my ups and downs, but I find it hard to fathom what I have been through in such a short period of time. I almost feel guilty for not needing chemo and being so lucky, yet at the same time, I am still emotionally struggling with all of this mess.

Crawfish...I know you are getting your exchange surgery soon. Tomorrow, right? Good luck with all of that. My plastic surgeon says that I will wake up from surgery instantly feeling much better. I guess any feeling would be better than the way I felt waking up from my BMX.

I have not been on here that much. I miss all of our chats. I keep telling myself that this will all be better by summer when I have my exchange surgery, but I am still angry, hurt, guarded, emotional and very deeply effected by this disease. It did not go away when I was told that I did not need further treatment. I think part of me was hoping that I would be able to go back to my old life, but it will never happen.

I don't mean to sound so negative and I have a lot to be thankful for, but I am still in cancer mode. I am tried of hearing "You are cancer free!" Just take these estrogen blockers for 10 years and all will be grand.

This disease needs to be prevented and more women need to be educated. Twenty women that I know have scheduled a mammogram because of me. Thanksfully. all of them turned out to be fine, but some of them had put it off for more than five years.

I am hoping that everyone is doing so well that they do not feel the need to post. I delayed posting for some time as I was very negative and angry. I am working on it.

Everyone have a safe and relaxing holiday season. I will try to post more often as I miss my ladies. Love and peace to all in BC land.

WW

• NCGirl1
    NCGirl1 Member Posts: 18
    edited November 2018
    Options

WW,

It must be a time for crying, holidays can be the worst even for perfectly healthy people . I think we need to remind ourselves that we are all still in recovery mode and the ups and downs are to be expected. I too get angry at times about the BC as well as these darn TE's. I have four women that I have known for more then 10 years diagnosed w BC around the same time as me, yes that ticks me off, WTH! Great job with getting 10 of your GF's to go get checked!

I will be getting my TE's replaced Dec 14th. I am counting the days! I have found with more energy, I do more activities and with more activities wayyy more TE irritation. That alone will grate on anyones nerves! I sometimes don't even realize just how much it is bothering me until I loose my patience or become moody then realize the TE's are driving me crazy! I just remind myself they are the means to an end! Hang in there, you are plugging your way through...and there will be an end to this crazy, rollercoaster we are all on!

Crawfish..Hope your surgery went well! .Please send us an update on your surgery! We all want the details!

• Elijahgirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Hello again ladies, I hope everyone is doing well. Phase 2 was postponed until the 18th of December as I was one of the unfortunate ones that suffered from the ecololi scare that was in the news it landed me in the hospital for two days from dehydration, much better. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season so far. I know for some of it is going to be harder this year but I do my best to remind myself the real reason for the season. On top of dealing with health issues I have been preparing for my transition out of the Navy, I didn't realize how daunting that could be preparing for life as a civilian living a lifestyle for most of my adult life and then it not there will be tough but it also comes with some plusses too such as being able to sleep in on Monday morning. My terminal leave begins next month and my retirement is official in February wow it is getting surreal. Have a very Merry Christmas, love you all and hope to hear from you soon. Lor

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2018
    Options

eliajagirl, that's terrible! Like you needed another problem to deal with. Congratulations on you pending retirement, I must admit I'm jealous! Also, I loved the pic of your sister and mom, what a nice looking family. Is that you in the middle?

• Elijahgirl
    edited December 2018
    Options

hepa , yes that was me in the middle the day I left for the Navy. I miss them both it will be my first Christmas without my sister and my second without my Mom. Thank you they were beautiful women

• WonderWoman75
    edited December 2018
    Options

Hello Ladies!

I hope everyone was able to enjoy some family and some relaxation this Christmas. Sending love out to those of you that have lost a loved one and are celebrating their life this holiday season.

I am getting ready to plan for my transition surgery hopefully early this spring. Does anyone that has had this surgery have feedback or advice? I am looking forward to getting these tissue expanders removed, but I am wondering about the recovery process and will five days be enough?

Also, I have lingering nerve pain since my BMX. My primary care doctor has prescribed me a high dose of Gabapentin and wants me to take it three times daily, but it does not seem to help the pain in my arm. I am seeing my breast surgeon on NYE. I will ask her.

I miss chatting with my ladies. I hope everyone has survived the holidays. I am working on getting some counseling from a cancer center near to my house. I kind of feel like I need to talk my way through some of this cancer stuff with some other people that are in remission.

I hope everyone can kick out 2018 properly, good riddance to it. 2019 will be a new year for all of us. I hope that we all stay "cancer free" if there is such a thing.

XOXO

Happy holidays!

WW

• Gramto4
    edited December 2018
    Options

WonderWoman- My TE exchange surgery was a walk in the park compared to the MX. My biggest complaint of pain was from the fat grafting. It caused a lot of pain at the donor site and terrible bruising. If you’re not having fat grafting then you will probably be back to yourself in a week. It’s been 3 months since my exchange and the area where the fat was injected to ( top of breast pocket) is still a little tender to the touch. I just had nipple reconstruction surgery yesterday to complete the breast reconstruction . I go back on January 2 to have the dressings removed and I’m anxious to see the finished product. I wish everyone a very healthy and healing 2019. “There are far,far better things ahead than what we leave behind” Out with the old and in with the new!

Hugs... Gramto4

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited December 2018
    Options

I have been feeling a lumpy area for some time above and below my mastectomy scar. I figured probably scar tissue. I went to get it looked at today and my dr is doing an ultrasound to be safe on Monday. I wasn’t really worried but am growing more nervous. Anyone else ever experience this?

• WonderWoman75
    edited January 2019
    Options

I had my 4 month post op check-up on New Year's Eve and my doctor found a lump in my arm that has been so painful. I am waiting on x-ray and ultrasound results.

Here I thought 2019 was going to be my year after beating breast cancer. Now, I am waiting to find out if I have bone cancer.

I am tired of waiting for a call to find out more bad news.

• Gramto4
    edited January 2019
    Options

WonderWoman75:Sorry to hear that you're having to deal with that waiting game again. I will pray that you get good news🙏. Stay positive

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited January 2019
    Options

WonderWoman75, I'm also sorry to hear you have to wait for the results. Do you know when you'll be getting them?

• WonderWoman75
    edited January 2019
    Options

I called today and the nurse coordinator said the results are in and the doctor will call me after she is done seeing patients. I hope soon. I also have lymphedema in my left arm. seeing an OT to start therapy next week. I will keep everyone posted.

Waiting sucks.