Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Plant-Based & Vegan - support & recipes

Options

Comments

• Helenna
    Helenna Member Posts: 66
    Options

Patsy- you must let us know how it turns out! I’ve not ever made a Minimalist Baker recipe that wasn’t fabulous!

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    Options

Alas, Helenna, I'm abandoning the eggplant idea for tonight after all - I have enough stuff to do without dealing with a new recipe, but I promise to try it soon! (My grilled-entree for myself tonight will be a marinated grilled tofu...not as much fun, but stress-free.) I'll save the eggplant for another grill night.

And Warrior2018 - check Minimalist Baker for other eggplant recipes. I saw a crispy one you might like. Also, my favorite thing with eggplant is ratatoullie - I usually make a batch (it's idiot proof - Google up a recipe) and then freeze in 1-cup or 2-cup containers.

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Thanks Patsy! That sounds great!

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Does anyone have resources or recipes to share for make ahead or weekly batch prep of dinners and portable take to work/school lunches?

I'm trying to plan ahead for September :)

• avmom
    avmom Member Posts: 45
    Options

Moth, the pcrm.org website has a 21 day kickstart program that includes both meal plans and shopping lists, and it's available at no charge. I use recipes from that website, and they have a searchable database of many recipes.

The Happy Herbivore site has a paid meal planning service. I subscribe to that one, and it costs about $15/month when you get an annual subscription “on sale". The recipes are fast and easy, and are flavourful, plant based, mostly (or easily adaptable to be) gluten free, with no added fats or oils. The recipes are largely available in her cookbooks, generally available in libraries, and I use those. The subscription isn't so much for the recipes as for the planning and grocery lists, organized by the sections in the grocery store.

For another perspective on plant based eating that isn't super low fat, I have a copy of a book, “The Pink Ribbon Diet" by Mary Flynn, PhD, RD. It isn't brand new, but offers a little science on the side.

Hope one or more of those is helpful.

Avmom

• Jadedjo
    Jadedjo Member Posts: 30
    Options

Hello all.

I forgot to add the thread to my favorites and have been searching for it ever since forgetting where I asked it and just found it now.

Thank you for your responses and I will be incorporating suggestions as I go. I been trying to stick to baby spinach in some of my meals,frozen broccoli was on sale so I bought three packs and have bought fresh fruit. My appetite still hasn't returned much so I basically graze when I start feeling weak.

Tonight was the first time I made an actual meal and I made a stir fry with bok choy, bean sprouts,carrots and extra firm tofu ...I'm hoping the taste of tofu will grow on me....

• moth
    Options

Avmom - I've been considering the Happy Herbivore meal plans for some time but when I've seen the sample weekly menus, I always seem to not like about 30-50% of the recipes so there would be so many substitutions that I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Btw, Happy Herbivore / Meal Mentor has some videos on your youtube channel showing how she batch cooks for the week & I found those funny & interesting because it's so NOT like a cooking show - her kitchen kind of ends up looking like a disaster, just like mine LOL, and she's often trying to find some spoon or spatula and rummaging through drawers. I like one tip she has for batch cooking - print & put up all the recipes on the kitchen cupboard doors, in the order you'll be making them.

I will add the pcrm 21 day plan to the opening post resources. I think MFA might have one of those as well; I'll go search for it.

• PatsyKB
    Options

Hi all - well, I had this eggplant sitting around and although I didn't use it the other night, I DID make the Minimalist Baker: Jamaican Jerk Grilled Eggplant (see my post from a few days ago) last night for myself while we grilled chicken for my husband, using the marinade and sauce for my dish on his chicken. (Thumbs up on that.) I LOVED MY EGGPLANT! My advice: make the barbecue sauce and the sauce and the spiced jerk sauce in advance earlier in the day and just let them sit so that the flavors develop. I cut my eggplant crosswise instead of lengthwise but I don't think it matters. I also brushed the jerk sauce on about an hour before grilling in order to let it soak in.

We use copper grill sheets sometimes to keep marinades from making a mess on the grill and I did that this time, but I'd recommend just grilling directly on the grates - better grill marks. Also, I'd brush more jerk sauce on while the eggplant cooks. It was a little dry on top (delicious inside) but when you add some of the barbecue sauce? HEAVENLY!!

Not a lot of protein (or calories) in this dish, so make sure you have something with beans or other protein with dinner. And it's great with some kind of grain dish - I made a brown rice/wild rice combination, baked in the oven with some mushroom broth and herbs.

Anyway, I recommend it!

• Warrior2018
    Options

Avmom, thanks for the recommendations. I haven’t looked at that site specifically. I do have the app “oh she glows” downloaded on my phone but haven’t used it much.

Moth, I use Pinterest for recipe ideas. So many good ideas

Jade and Patsy your meals sounds delishous!

• Helenna
    Helenna Member Posts: 66
    Options

Jadedjo - So glad you found this thread again, it’s one of my favorites - great ladies here, and food! About the tofu, it takes on the flavor of what it’s seasoned with, so add what you like to it -either marinating first or during cooking. Have you tried a tofu scramble yet? Just crumble into pan and add veggies along with turmeric - for spice and color! I make a big enough batch to last 2-3 days.

• PatsyKB
    Options

What's almost as good as eating breakfast? Preparing stuff to have on hand for future breakfasts! I made a 1/2 batch of this vegan coconut baked oatmeal today, split it into 4 wrapped servings and I'll be enjoying one of those servings in the morning. Things I changed: Although I did use coconut sugar (lower on the glycemic scale than other sweeteners and okay, but not great, for me but I never use added sweeteners so it all averages out); I used sugar-free "maple" syrup, used no salt, and instead of coconut oil, I heated and softened some sunflower seed butter and used THAT for my fat. More nutritious that way - oils are extremely non-nutritious. Aside from that, it's as-written. Tomorrow I'll use my Ripple pea-protein milk, fresh berries and maybe some pepitas or sunflower seeds to embellish what's already a delicious dish!

https://minimalistbaker.com/toasted-coconut-baked-oatmeal/

• Jadedjo
    Jadedjo Member Posts: 30
    Options

Helenna

Thanks for the tip, will definetely be marinating next time.

• avmom
    Options

Hi, Warrior. I've read a number of the Oh she Glows recipes, but as I recall she relies on tree nuts too much for me. I have a number of food allergies, including tree nuts and coconut. That means no cashew “cheese", or daiya products, among other things, like almonds, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts,The pcrm and Happy Herbivore recipes seem a bit easier for me than many vegan products and recipes. I can eat pépites, pine nuts, and légumes like peanuts, but I only eat peanuts in the shell because they are often roasted in"vegetable oil", which can be anything, like coconut oil.

Some of the pcrm recipes are a bit bland, but since chemo I find that sometimes that's just what i want. I don't always like everything in the Happy Herbivore meal plans - as an example, i don't really like tofu much so i typically sub out chickpeas or another legume. But, the seasoning level in the HH recipes is often very good, at least to my palate. Some recipes surprise me - the tamale soup earned a thumbs up from my spouse, who was eating vegan meals with me before his gall bladder surgery this spring.

Although I subscribe to the HH meal plans, I don't necessarily follow the entire week's plan. That does make the shopping lists less useful, but the seasonality of the plans does offer inspiration.

Here's a recipe for Samosa Stuffed Potatoes, which I really like (I do love me some samosas, and this scratches that itch without having to make the pastry!)

Samosa Stuffed Baked Potatoes

Preheat oven to 400F. Time: bake 20 minutes, not counting baking the potatoes first

4 large russet Potatoes, insides scooped out and diced, leaving potato “shells"

Filling: and bake on a baking sheet

1/4 Cup liquid (veg broth or water)

3 Tablespoons oil

2 teaspoons mustard seeds

2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds

1 Cup diced onion

3/4 Cup diced carrot

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger

4 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 to 1 teaspoons ground turmeric

1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 Cup frozen peas

Juice of 1 lemon

Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add mustard and coriander seeds, let seeds pop, then add onions and carrots and sauté about 10 minutes until the onions start to brown, then add garlic and ginger and sauté 1 minute. Then add cumin, coriander and a splash of liquid, stir and then add diced potato amd peas, salt and lemon juice to taste. Brush insides of potato skins with oil, stuff shells with filling and bake on a baking sheet about 20 minutes until hot. Top with chopped cilantro just before service, with extra lemon wedges on the side. You can increase spices for more “kick, or cut in half for a less spicy entree.

Cheers,

Avmom

• Warrior2018
    Options

Avmom, a nut allergy can be tricky that’s for sure. So many things are processed in a facility that also processes so many things. Enjoy life is a fantastic brand for those with allergies. When I first went vegan many years ago, I had to read and reread labels because we weren’t even to the point where companies list the major allergens in bold. So finding a company like enjoy life was a Godsend. They make many more products now as well.

I try to stay away from legumes ( I rarely eat beans anymore), starches (potatoes and pastas) and really all carb loaded stuff. I don’t limit fruit at all but eat mostly green apples and berries. Reading the Wheat Belly and the Plant Paradox has opened my eyes a bit, enough to try it. So far, it seems to really work for me.

Last night for dinner we had organic cauliflower steaks (again;)) seasoned with salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika and garlic, with some maple bbq on top. Then I sautéed two full bunches of organic asparagus is my favorite sauce- here it is- this recipe is going to win awards some day ;))) but I’ll share it here with you ladies:

First put oilive oil in your large sauté pan, enough to cover the bottom. Heat on a lower heat setting. Add in minced garlic (I use about two or three cloves) let that heat up. Then add in either fresh or dried rosemary. If using dry I grind it up in an herb grinder so you’re not eating little sticks. Let that heat up, be careful not to burn the garlic. Add in half a lemon, juiced. Then add in either white wine or veg stock about 1/2-1 cup. It all depends on how much sauce you’d like. Let that reduce a bit. Add it a bit of vegan butter and red’s hot sauce (as spicy as you’d like it), stir and add in you’re veggies. Pepper strips are great, all kinds of veg and tofuare great in this. Add a bit of salt and pepper and more lemon juice on top (at least the other half of the lemon or more). Everything is done when veggies are done. Enjoy!

• avmom
    Options

Warrior, thanks for the brand information. If I am shopping for anything processed, it seems to take forever, because reading labels once isn’t enough - ingredients change and what was once “safe” might not be the next time. My nut allergy has become more severe over time, and I’ve had a scare or two over the past few years from inadvertent exposure. I’ve largely given up on processed food products, and mostly eat “ingredients” rather than processed foods.

Your sauce looks awesome! I do something similar, but without the hot sauce, so I’m going to try that, for sure. It’s been three years since chemo for me, but my palate was definitely affected by treatment. I had a definite garlic aversion for about a year, post chemo, which was very limiting, and which has gone away, thank goodness! My tolerance for hot and spicy foods still isn’t what is was before treatment, but I do like the heat, though in much more moderation now.

I haven’t seen the Plant Paradox, but will definitely look into it.

I will try your sauce with tofu - it’s something I want to enjoy more, and I fall back on legumes more than I would like.
  • GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    Options

I have been drinking matcha green tea at work for about a week and a half. I have to say that I don't love it; it doesn't have any taste. I will keep going with it in case it is really helping me.

I saw jackfruit in the grocery store a couple weeks ago, but I didn't buy it. Last night I went to a restaurant that had a jackfruit sandwich. I must say it was pretty good, but I didn't love it enough to prompt me to make it at home. It was nice though to have such a good option at a restaurant. It was a struggle for me to see that it looked like pulled pork, but didn't taste like it - like I was fooling my senses. But I was excited to try it and glad I did.

Tonight I plan to make the "not-tuna" dish with chickpeas for my daughter and me. We have a tuna salad tradition when my husband is out of town so I am hoping she will like this. She is going to be living in an apartment this year at college so maybe this will be a yummy and easy dish for her to make.

Avmom - the stuffed potatoes recipe looks delicious. I will have to try it soon with my family.

• moth
    Options

avmom - thanks for posting that recipe for samosa stuffed potatoes! That looks great.

& I just read and filed another recipe for stuffed potatoes in which the author said they freeze fine so I will try doing that with this recipe too.

• moth
    Options

I made these yesterday. I made a much larger batch & we had them for dinner yesterday & I froze another batch. They're pretty much all broccoli & beans with some stuff to stick it together & flavouring.

The are pan fried in a bit of oil which is something I'm trying to get away from. I have another recipe for fritters which I'll try soon & those were oven baked and just sprayed with a little bit of spray oil. Probably wouldn't turn out as 'pretty' but I'm guessing the taste is similar enough so that would be an option if you want to do less oil (or possibly even oil free if you bake them on parchment or silicone mat)

vegan 'cheezy' broccoli bean fritters from Healthy Happy Life
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2011/10/cheezy-broc...

I like to serve them with the Garlic Herb sauce I posted above. We had them with mashed potatoes, but they would also go well with salad, inside wraps, or with a side of brown rice.

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    Options

moth - the broccoli fritters look delicious. Two questions though - is the chopped broccoli raw? And did you use vegan cheese or just nutritional yeast?

• moth
    Options

Yes, the chopped broccoli is raw. I used the crowns and about 4 cm of the stems but just the skinny stems. I left out the big fat stems that are thicker than your thumb. Just dump in food processor and pulse until it's like rice.

& I used both nutritional yeast and a handful of Daiya cheddar shreds but the cheeze could easily be skipped. I think it just adds a bit of 'gooeyness' when it melts but it's not necessary.

• PatsyKB
    Options

We have soup for supper on Sunday nights, so...here’s the recipe for last night’s soup. Delicious! I didn’t have coconut milk but it was delicious with cashew milk and a little yogurt instead. Sprinkled on chopped cauliflower (reserved from the roasting), toasted pumpkin seeds, cilantro, chopped avocado. Yum! https://www.skinnytaste.com/turmeric-roasted-cauliflower-soup/

• Warrior2018
    Options

That all looks very yummy moth and Patsy!

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

moth:

My young adult daughter (long story) is loosing weight finally after years of not being able to loose. She tried a lot! Her goal is 50 lbs. she’s taken off 35 so far. Eating plant based and she eats a lot and the weight is coming off! She’s also fasting some too. I’ve been doing that too and finding in many ways I’m feeling better.

I share this because I saw the burger recipe! Yum! Weve cut oil out of our diet. I occasionally use spray oil. I love the idea of broccoli burgers! I’m going to make them with extra c beans and no cheese. And using ground flax instead of chia(don’t like chia. Just my preference). Will see how they are baked vs fried. I bet they will be great!!

Thank you for sharing! Yum!!

Can you share the sauce recipe again

• jons_girl
    jons_girl Member Posts: 444
    Options

moth I found your sauce so thought I'd post it again for people like me too lazy to go find it. Lol.

Yum!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Garlic Herb Sauce (from Minimalist Baker)

1/4 c hummus

1 Tbsp lemon juice

3/4-1 Tbsp freeze dried dill (or fresh if in season)

3+ cloves of crushed fresh garlic

water to thin (or you can use a plant milk) until it's the consistency of a pourable but creamy dressing

just mix it all up & it's done :) Lasts well in fridge.

• Warrior2018
    Options

Jonsgirl, that’s great to hear that your daughter has found success with a vegan diet! That sauce looks very good!

Here’s a link to some oil free dressings that look pretty tasty: http://www.plantplate.com/Guide/Detail?guideID=1019

• moth
    Options

wrenn - I just had a look at that recipe & I think it would work with flax to replace the chicken ovulation :P https://minimalistbaker.com/how-to-make-a-flax-egg...

For the parmesan, replace with nutritional yeast or Earth Island (in Canada) / Follow Your Heart (in USA - same product, different branding) vegan parm.

• PatsyKB
    Options

wrenn - easy answer! I replace eggs in recipes like this with flax-egg when you wantthe binding quality of the egg.: https://lovingitvegan.com/how-to-make-a-flax-egg/

If you need the whippable quality of eggwhites, then the answer is equally simple: whip up some aquafaba! What's aquafaba, you say? It's the liquid in the can of garbanzos, whipped up to a froth and used in tons of vegan/vegetarian recipes. https://minimalistbaker.com/a-guide-to-aquafaba/

• PatsyKB
    Options

I agree with moth - nutritional yeast is awesome as a cheese sub.

• PatsyKB
    Options

I swear, this is my favorite thread on this website! But then again, food is my favorite thing.

Here's a recipe I just shared with a friend who's having trouble getting her husband off of meat. We (as in me and my non-vegetarian husband) love this!

Quinoa Taco Salad https://www.bloglovin.com/blogs/gluten-free-goddes... (it has an extra advantage for you G-Free folks of being gluten-free!). Created by my friend, Gluten-Free Goddess. Her blog/website/recipes are all excellent.

• PatsyKB
    Options

thanks for reposting the garlic herb sauce, Jons girl!