Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Plant-Based & Vegan - support & recipes

Options

Comments

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    Options

made some outstanding vegan gluten free very low sugar (could be sugarless) cookies this week. Interested? I’ll post the recipe!

• PatsyKB
    Options

Before I forget...the cookie recipe. I made changes to suit my dietary needs, like cutting the sugar in half (or less), subbing a half-brown/half-stevia instead and using applesauce to make up the difference and to sub for the oil. I don't use oil if I can help it (a little nut butter or tahini is also a great substitute). And for my chocolate chips, I used Lily's brand dark chocolate chips which contain no sugar at all! These were a HUGE hit at a pot luck I went to even though most of the people there eat really UN-healthily. They love their desserts and were tickled to find out that these were actually healthy.

I still have some stashed in the freezer for me to enjoy now and then!

Bon appétit! https://minimalistbaker.com/gluten-free-oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies/

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

Thanks, PatsyKB!

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    Options

Patsy - I was just thinking about making some cookies! I am particularly interested in the apple sauce as an oil substitute - so thanks for this!

• PatsyKB
    Options

here’s another healthy sweet - Brownies with NO flour but plenty of chocolaty yummy. I sub sugar free maple syrup for sweeteners. The beans totally fooled the pot luck people! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies
  • moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

hope everyone had a yummy holiday feast!

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    Options

Happy New Year to all

• NVDobie
    NVDobie Member Posts: 122
    Options

Happy new year!

PatsyKB

Thanks for the recipe. Plan to try the brownie this week. Have been trying different recipes for my chocolate cravings.

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    Options

Happy New Year to all vegetable lovers! Proud to read that Vancouver is one of the top vegan cities in the world:

“According to the data, Vancouver finished just ahead of Seattle, and behind only Bristol, England; Portland, Oregon; and Edinburgh, Scotland.“

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-ranked-fourth-worldwide-for-interest-in-veganism

I'm still converting but pleased to see the new Canada Food Guide is going more plant-based too.

❤️

• GoKale4320
    Options

DearLife- how nice it must be to have many plant-based options near you.

A couple weeks ago while on vacation, my husband surprised me by taking me to a plant-based restaurant where the entire menu was plant-based. I had an egg-less quiche. It was so good!

It is so encouraging to find numerous good options wherever we go -usually

• moth
    Options

just popping in to share this - cook with turmeric if you like it but a large study failed to find evidence of anti inflammatory activity

the editorial about the study: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/190/43/E1270

the study http://www.cmaj.ca/content/190/43/E1273

"Neither curcumin nor placebo significantly affected any of the 4 biomarkers"

• GoKale4320
    Options

Moth - thanks for the links. I used to take Tumeric supplements, but I stopped them and now just add the spice to food. I do think there are benefits to the synergy of food and spices and hope it is protective.

• GoKale4320
    Options

https://fieldroast.com/

I found some veggie hot dogs in my grocery store made by Field Roast - see link to their website. They are DELICIOUS. Kind of expensive, but so easy to prepare and so tasty. The ingredients list is encouraging - seems like good stuff.

I didn't pay attention to the fact that this is the same company that makes Chao cheese. They also make different sausages so I will have to look and see if my store carries those.

• dearlife
    dearlife Member Posts: 634
    Options

GoKale, I told DH to watch for more tofu coming soon! He is slowly converting and articles like this help.

• GoKale4320
    Options

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/oxidized-cholesterol-27hc-may-explain-3-breast-cancer-mysteries/

I found this video interesting regarding the link between cholesterol and breast cancer. I am hoping my plant-based diet has really cut my cholesterol levels. I wish there was a very easy way to check.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/flashback-friday-optimal-cholesterol-level/

Optimal level of LDL cholesterol is 50-70. That's a nice goal. Hoping to check my cholesterol this summer - officially - and see where I'm at. I had cholesterol over 200 before cancer so I'm sure it was one of the main reasons I got sick.

NutritionFacts.org has a ton of good information

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

GoKale, that's interesting. My doctor looked at my cholesterol and laughed, saying that it's like the cholesterol level of a baby. I guess there's more to it.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,027
    Options

I posted this on another thread but thought I'd post it here too. Below is a link to a wonderful & interesting online documentary about cancer treatments in Asian countries. The approach is so different from what we all experienced here. The 48-hour replay of the program is available through Sunday evening for free. There is also an option to buy the series. It is well worth your time to watch the very different approach to cancer (it's cause, it's treatment). It is evidence-based.

https://go2.thetruthaboutcancer.com/eastern-medicine/replay/?utm_campaign=eastern-medicine&utm_medium=email&utm_source=all-actives&utm_content=eastern-medicine-replay-4-13-19-9am

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    Options

I got behind watching that documentary. Just didn't have time this week but its free replay this weekend so everyone hurry and watch it because it expires midnight 4/14

GoKale If you lost even a bit of weight going plant based and you cut the oils then you cholesterol declined. you can get a cholesterol test through requestatest.com if you are in the US. They have labcorp and quest centers that do draws. My insurance only pays for one time a year unless I appeal it. Unfortunately mine isn't budging after 6 months plant based. I finally found out that I have prediabetes so I think that is interfering with weight loss and health. I plan to taylor this WFPB eating to better control my blood sugar and see if I can get some weight off I am sure that if I do that my cholesterol will come down.

• moth
    Options

Hey everyone, long time no see! I got super busy at school but now have a 2 week break and one of the things I'll be doing is stocking up my freezer and making up some meal plans to get us through the next term. By the end of this term I was mostly getting by on a lot of oatmeal, frozen blueberries. peanut butter on whole grain bread, & bananas, as those was the easiest thing to quickly prep and eat. (And Clif bars - I try to convince myself those count as health food but honestly, it's not a good thing....)

I also want to make some firm plans on how to do more batch cooking for the week. We managed it a few times during the semester - mostly making up ingredients for buddha bowl type meals.

I saw this post yesterday on the FoK's Instagram about how to roast veggies with no oil at all https://www.instagram.com/p/BwYEKU3Aro3/

Roast veggies seem to keep about 3-4 days in the fridge so those can go into bowls or wraps etc for lunches and dinners.

Love to hear what fast & simple & healthy things you guys are cooking and eating

:)

• GoKale4320
    Options

One of my favorite quick dinners is burritos. I cook rice or quinoa, add canned black beans and enough salsa to mix through it. Then I warm up tortillas in the toaster oven. Often I put my salad fixings inside the burrito with the rice and bean mixture. I love this!!!

In other news: my husband won a foot race and received a basket of fruits and vegetables. So cool! I had never prepared fresh beets so I learned how to roast them. So good! included was a whole pineapple so I learned how to cut it up. Such a treat! Last night I baked the winter squash and then put it in my stir fry. Delicious! Anyway, I was thrilled with this basket of veggies and tried things I would not have tried otherwise. Each night I kept telling him which parts of dinner were his winnings.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Congrats to your hubby! What a cool prize. Your burrito recipe looks yummy. I'm going to try it A.S.A.P. I’ve been looking for ways to use quinoa.

• hapa
    hapa Member Posts: 613
    Options

Sara - I eat quinoa for breakfast sometimes like cereal or oatmeal. I cook it, throw it in the fridge, and then scoop it out in the morning and add nuts, raisins, cinnamon and soymilk. Then eat with a spoon. Sometimes I don't add the milk. I also eat it in burritos or quinoa bowls (basically burritos without the wrap) or with stir fry instead of rice. Sometimes I put it in vegetable soup.

• Sara536
    Sara536 Member Posts: 5,937
    Options

Thanks Hapa, I’m pretty bored with my limited usual and living alone doesn’t spark my creativity. :)

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Hi everyone! I was diagnosed last week with BC. My husband and I have been vegan since January. I was a vegetarian up til then but my husband went cold turkey (pun intended). We are learning how to cook vegan through Purple Carrot meals 2-3 a week

• GoKale4320
    Options

Hapa, the quinoa breakfast sounds delicious. One thing I love about quinoa is that it cooks more quickly than rice.

DogMomRunner - so sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Hoping your new diet will help you get through treatment easier and more successfully. There are lots of great meal ideas on this site. I am curious about Purple Carrot and what sorts of recipes they have so if you want to fill us in, I'm all ears!

• GoKale4320
    Options

Someone just mentioned the book "Undoctored; Why Health Care has Failed and How you can be smarter than your doctor", by William Davis. I think he also wrote "Wheat Belly" which I have heard about. I have not read either book. But I think he suggests you cut out all wheat and grains. I don't know what his take is on a plant-based diet. I should just read the book, haha!

Anyway, my question is has anyone given up all wheat and grains in their diet? Can you eat just fruits and vegetables and legumes without grains? The last time I attempted no grains, I was hungry within an hour of eating - all day long. I was eating meat then, too which did not help.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

Hi GoKale - my husband signed us up for Purple Carrot but I think he designated easier meals under 35 minutes. We get a shipment each week and they send you recipes and the ingredients. We've had to buy a lot of kitchen appliances and items that other people probably have multiples of (like a vegetable peeler!). We were really bad at making good nutritional meals before this.

We just had (for a pre race meal) linguine with roasted zucchini and tomatoes and a spinach/cilantro/pumpkin seed pesto. It was fantastic. I'll try to post some recipes. It would be easy if I could post a picture of the recipe from the booklet they send each week

• moth
    Options

cross posting from diet & lifestyle thread, as encouragement to all who are trying the plant based or vegan way of life

Dr Greger has an interesting review of a study indicating dietary cholesterol is estrogenic and may be contributing to increased risk of breast cancer. (for nutritiion newbies, remember that all plant based diets have zero dietary cholesterol. Your body makes its own cholesterol.)

"A systematic review of the evidence suggests that dietary cholesterol intake increases risk of breast cancer, and the more cholesterol you eat, the higher the risk appears to go. But, why? Watch the video "Oxidized Cholesterol 27HC May Explain 3 Breast Cancer Mysteries" on NutritionFacts.org to learn more: http://bit.ly/2OorAcc "

• GoKale4320
    Options

https://vegangela.com/2013/03/24/red-curry-quinoa/

This is a link to a recipe for vegan red curry. I added a half cup of cooked lentils (half cup dry, then cooked) to the recipe at the end where it says to add the vegetables. SO good! It really didn't take me long to make this - probably the longest part was cutting up the vegetables. If you want to save time, you can use frozen vegetables. Next time, I might bake some tofu to add with the vegetables instead of lentils. But I like lentils mixed in with recipes because they don't really stand out and provide protein and nice texture.