Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Plant-Based & Vegan - support & recipes

Options

Comments

• pi-xi
    pi-xi Member Posts: 177
    Options

My DH was busy with making some delicious plant-based options this week. Here is a delicious creation from roasted mushrooms tomato sauce served over zucchini "noodles"

• pi-xi
    Options

Here is his cauliflower rice with a mushroom and walnut faux chorizo stuffed pepper. Unbelievable! The recipe for the faux chorizo is from the Food Revolution.

https://www.foodrevolutionsummit.org/recipes/

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

Vegan keto probiotic protein smoothie extraordinaire

This actually tastes excellent!

Califia plain (nut-milk based) kefir (apx 1/2 C)

Cocoyo coconut yogurt 1-2 T

~1/2 C berries - also sometimes add a 1/2 green banana (good pre-biotic). Mostly berries, but nectarine, mango or other orange fruit ok.

organic whey protein powder isolate (Tera's) 1 or 2 scoops

Super Greens green powder one scoop

Reishi Mushroom powder one scoop.

optional flax seeds, coconut, etc per taste plus ice cubes if desired.

Saving my life on low appetite days.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

santabarbarian - sounds good but whey protein is not vegan. Vegans would need to replace with something like pea protein powder :)

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,310
    Options

whoops you are right... any protein powder will work

• GoKale4320
    GoKale4320 Member Posts: 580
    Options

Pi-Xi - those dishes look so yummy! I was just thinking about stuffed peppers this weekend, but have not made them. Question: what is chorizo?

Patsy KB - I love your cooking tips! Such good ideas for saving time/batch cooking.

Sadly, my black rice that I recently discovered and love is from China!! I will check the store again to see if they have another kind, but I think it might have been the only kind they had. Many stores don't carry it at all. Eating a good bit of Quinoa right now.

• pi-xi
    Options

GoKale, chorizo is a type of spicy sausage, but the last time DH made it, he took the spices down a notch and it was even tastier. He tends to add more than the recipe says. 😊

Of course this is not sausage and just mushroom and walnuts mainly

• moth
    Options

Pi-xi - wow, lots of yummies! Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad it's cooled a bit where I live and I recently enjoyed several warm soups incl a variation of this one: https://minimalistbaker.com/chipotle-black-bean-to...

Two bowls of delicious vegan Black Bean Tortilla Soup topped with avocado and red onion

• Warrior2018
    Warrior2018 Member Posts: 212
    Options

That looks very good moth!!

• exercise_guru
    exercise_guru Member Posts: 333
    Options

I love soup it is my favorite kind of fall food.

I have really gotten into using the instapot this month for just about everything ( well I use a pressure cooker and rice cooker but it is basically the same thing)

So far I have cooked and froze in 1 cup servings.

6 kinds of beans

brown lentils.

hulled Barley

Black Rice

Pearl Barley

Brown Rice

Quinoa.

all have been successful. Then I can quickly add them to recipes when I get home for a quick meal.

I also figured out if I put a half of spaghetti squash face up then it makes perfect "noodles" in about 20 minutes

I also cooked some small finger potatoes and carrots.

Also on my list is to make some really good vegetable broth. If anyone has some tips for this that would be great.

I am considering making my own homemade yogurt. I have a yogurt maker but haven't tried doing this with anything but soy. I would love to try a nut milk or combo.

• GoKale4320
    Options

Pi-Xi - the Chorizo sounds delicious. I used to make a recipe that had zucchini boats stuffed with sausage so I might try it with chorizo.

Moth - the chili looks delicious.

Vegetable broth - I tried making it one time, but it requires a lot of vegetables and even when I save up the bits and pieces I don't use, it just seemed like a lot of work. The grocery store near me carries several brands of organic vegetable broth in re-closable cartons for less than $3. If I could not buy it already made, I would use water instead and just add extra spice to give it flavor. But that's just me - I look for shortcuts all the time.

• Warrior2018
    Options

I’m the same with the veggie broth. I’ll sometimes use the low sodium veggie cubes too. I looove warm soup on cold days. Throwing it all in a crockpot and then coming home to the smell :))) Love it!

• ibis
    ibis Member Posts: 56
    Options

Pi-Xi, I made the stuffed peppers with riced cauliflower and the faux chorizo (walnuts, mushrooms, spices) recipe that you posted. Thank you. The mixture was delicious.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,027
    Options

SOME VEGAN HUMOR:

Inline image

• pi-xi
    Options
    That's awesome, over70! I will let my DH know that it was a hit!
  • moth
    Options

guy, I've almost been starving here! My made ahead meals for the freezer are almost all gone. I have to batch cook a bunch of things this weekend or we'll be living on fruit, toast, tofu and oatmeal lol

I did discover that my college caf has international days on various days of the week and the day when I'm there the longest it's Indian (my favourite!) and they always have at least one vegan dish. Won't be great for my pocketbook and perhaps not as low fat/low sodium as I'd like but it's good to know there is a back up if I don't get lunch prepped.

• exercise_guru
    Options

Do you have a pressure cooker or insta pot? I cook grains and beans and then freeze them in small quantities. Then I can just mix them together with my sauce and choice. Throw in veggies and boom.

I would love to read your strategies especially of portable foods.

• moth
    Options

no pressure cooker & no insta pot, not even a slow cooker. Honeslty, I'm kinda scared of pressure cookers - not used to them at all and worry they'll just explode in my face Shocked I've been considering an instapot but for now I'm just using canned beans & sticking my fingers in my ear about the possible neg effects of chemicals in the can linings.

I think this week is going to be burritos/wraps etc. Some with refried beans and salsa + peppers & onions and maybe some with Yves ground round + roast veggies. I also thought of making tofu scramble and shoving it a tortilla and freezing it but I'm not sure if the tofu will stand to freezing well. I've made and frozen the bean ones and they work very well.

We have microwaves there so if there are dinner leftovers, frequently that's what I end up taking.

• exercise_guru
    Options

I have a rice cooker that cooks barley,oats, all kinds of grains,pasta and rice. It also steams apples and veggies etc. I have heard the instapot can do all those things.

Then I have a pressure cooker I cut a squash in half and place it face up in the cooker for 20 minutes. Great spaghwrri squash. Also I soack beans overnight but you don't have to. Then pressure them. Then I freeze them in 1.5 can increments. My other favorite is to get tiny little potatoes I pressure them then put them in a bowl eat them all week out of the fridge. I am thinking of getting an instapot because it auto shuts ofd. My only fear is that I'll get chemo brain and leave the house with my pressure cooker running.

I had to reorganize my freezer but I can now make any vegan dish in about 15 minutes. Salads with greens beans soups you name it. This week I am doing the McDougall 10-day plan just so I can learn some new recipes. I have thought about subscribing to Forks Over Knives.

I also made a large batch of vegetable broth and froze it and ice cube trays. I am going no oil so the broth comes in handy to saute things. The no oil is for my husband he has an inflammatory condition.

• GoKale4320
    Options

https://www.shelikesfood.com/chopped-kale-power-sa...

I am making the salad recipe posted above to take to a pig roast. It looks good to me and should be rather filling.

This upcoming Thanksgiving will be my first as plant-based. Any recipe suggestions that the family will enjoy?

• exercise_guru
    Options

I am going to a huge family dinner . We each bring a dish so I am bringing a pumpkin filled with soup and one maybe filled with stuffing . Haven't worked out the recipe yet.

I have also thought of stuffed potatoes vegan style

My sister in law brings a large kale salad. I am going to figure out a salt oil and sugar free dressing to take. Maybe from Forks over knives,fuhrman cookbook or chef AJ

I will post when I find a good one

Also I am on the PTA and for parent teachers they requested one dairy free soup and one gluten free soups so I am going to just make 2 gluten free dairy free soups. I am thinking a potato chowder and a chilli. Haven't figured it out yet so if anyone has a good recipe I welcome it

• GoKale4320
    Options

Exercise-guru - your autumn dishes sound delicious and should look so pretty served in a pumpkin. Stuffed potatoes sound good as the weather has gotten cooler. Will love to see the recipes when you get them.

The salad I made (above) turned out really good. I forgot the dried cranberries, but I still liked it. I used spinach instead of kale. but perhaps next time I will try kale. I will definitely make it again. And as is typical, I brought most of it home so I had some for lunch the next day and we both ate it for dinner last night, and I put the rest in a container for my lunch today. So good! I am not that sad that hardly anyone ate any. There was so much food there - and all of it was yummy comfort food.

I bought a "Green Pan" from Target this weekend. It's a brand of cookware that has no toxic chemicals. https://www.greenpan.us/

So last night I made a tofu stir fry in my new green pan. My new method is to start off with a few tablespoons of vinegar and spices instead of olive oil, and I was able to prepare my dish without it sticking to the pan. I am pretty happy with that, so I will probably buy a whole set of Green Pans which is less expensive than buying them separately. I will let my daughter have the extra frying pan I just bought.

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    Options

Hi ladies! Been reading through previous posts and noticed several references for jackfruit. I'm curious of how any of you have incorporated it into your meals. I bought 2 cans of it at Trader Joe's but haven't tried cooking with it yet. I may check Pinterest and see what I find, but thought I would check with you all first.

Thanks bunches!

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    Options

we’ve used it as we would use pulled pork or chicken: in soups, tacos, on rice with veggies. This company makes great stuff: The Jackfruit Co. All seasoned and ready to heat and eat.

https://thejackfruitcompany.com/

• Warrior2018
    Options

GoKale- this is THE BEST vegan green bean casserole! https://www.thespruceeats.com/vegan-green-bean-cas...

I use regular cut up green beans instead of French but I’m sure either would be good.

And here’s a link to Jamie Oliver’s vegan Thanksgiving. There’s some good recipes in there too. The gravy is very good. https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieoliver/how-to-make-a...

• PatsyKB
    PatsyKB Member Posts: 211
    Options

Thanks to travel (hiking in Southern Utah), medical (another breast biopsy - negative; whew) and life, I’ve been missing from this group - and missing this group but I’m back. We bought an Instant Pot this week, so I devoted the weekend to getting to know this newest member of the family. Used the pressure cooking function to make Sweet Sriracha Acorn Squash last night; earlier yesterday I made Basmati Rice (rice being a staple) and am ready to ditch my rice cooker. For dinner tonight I used the sauté and the slow cook functions in making Curried Kale Potato and Lentil soup. All were great. Recipe links below.
    Curried Kale Potato and Lentil Soup: https://minimalistbaker.com/curried-potato-lentil-soup-1-pot/

Sweet Sriracha Acorn Squash: https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/sweet-sriracha-glazed-acorn-squash/
  • moth
    Options

Hi everyone, I've been busy with school but doing well. Nice to hear from you Patsy. I'm still on the fence about the instant pot though I'm thinking it would be convenient for chili . The recipes you posted sound yummy. Let us know whether the IP becomes a really big part of your cooking.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    Options

moth, I was on the fence about instant pot but bought one and love it.

• exercise_guru
    Options

I borrowed my friends Instant pot and used it 4 times yesterday. soup, kale, vegan chilli ( threw everything I could find in there and set it for 8 minutes). Tonight I want to make a lentil taco meat for the kiddos tonight but haven't found a recipe yet. Thinking about this one. instant pot lentil tacos

I also plan to use it to make

The best part is that I can forget I turned it on. I always worry with my chemo brain that I am going to leave my pressure cooker or stove on the burner. I am going to use a delay start to for soccer night and see how that goes. I will report back.

• cooked beans to freeze for later. So easy
    • I use my rice cooker for rice and pilaf but I am going to try the IP I freeze leftovers to make resistant starch. ( I use my rice cooker for this)
    • batch of potatoes. I eat them later. sometimes I cook a few yams and sweet potatoes and a few purple ones . Its easy to make a quick meal with cooked potatoes. ( I do this often in my regular pressure cooker)
    • steamed apples ( I use my rice cooker for this)
    • Maybe a steamed squash. I cut one in half and remove the seeds and then lay it face up in my pressure cooker so I am sure the instant pot can handle that as well.

I made a Broccoli soup from High Carb Hannah-Youtube- High Carb Hannah soup on the stove top but great in instant pot (3 cups potatoes, 3 cups broccoli, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast,) I added a chopped leak and some minced garlic. then IP setting for 8 minutes. Used an immersion blender. It came out so creamy. I was going to add my broccoli sprouts at the end in my bowl so they keep their properties but I didn't have any to try that as I just started some yesterday. She is a bit flaky but I love her recipe ideas. I want to get her saucy E-cookbook

I have decided on what I am taking to thanksgiving dinner. There are several different places I will be going.

Also I am making everything in this video by Chef AJ-Thanksgiving Chef AJ Thanksgiving-whole foods - oil free- sugar free - salt free.. Stuffed squash and a very pretty Cranberry sauce. Chef AJ cooks at true north and at Mcdougal . She also coached people on how to lose weight and be healthy with an Salt sugar and oil free- whole foods cooking. I have both her cookbooks but I usually just use her youtube video. Everything she suggests works great for me . I would be lost without her.

Also I am making the mashed potatoes in the instant pot and some mushroom gravy using this recipe.Healthy Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner - Mushroom Gravy Mashed Potatoes & Roasted Veggies - OIL SOS FREE from Well your world. Dylan at Well your world is a fellow microgreens, sprouts AZight . He doesn't give ingredient amounts just eyeballs it - but honestly everything he makes and suggests is so filling and so delicous. I have made more of his food "recipe videos" than any other chef. I also copy his cooking techniques.

There are some wonderful pumpkin pies out there that are Whole foods. My husband has been making pie for me for years he also makes a great chocolate pie with cocounut milk. I leave that stuff to him.

• MamaFelice
    MamaFelice Member Posts: 165
    Options

Exercise guru-- I'm coming to your home for Thanksgiving!! Thank you for sharing all your recipes and links! I think I will try the broccoli soup in my instant pot this weekend for sure!