Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Starting Chemo September 2019

Options

Comments

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi

I have a question for anyone that had taxol and took gabapentin. One week after my final treatment I started having involuntary arm and head movements. like tremors or parkinson movements. went to hospital for 2 days. one Dr says it’s taxol and numerologist says it’s gabapentin. 3 weeks later still happening is better but very disrupting and random. If this happened to anyone or if you have heard about it please share. waiting to start radiation tell it goes away

Best wishes to all recovering from surgery.

Thank you

Christi.

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180
    Options

AngieB,, you go girl!! Yes It’s the little things we can do,, I’m 4 weeks out, getting better everyday! HP infusions are going pretty good, I have a decision to make on radiation, just not sure, it’s a clinical trial, Hugs to All, and positive vibes, We sure have traveled a crazy road!!

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291
    Options

That’s so good to hear!! I love all of our little success stories.

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45
    Options

Angie,

What good advice. I am in my second week of rads and my allover situation is good. Nevertheless, I get these terrible depression fits every so often and they are very hard to beat. I now take on a small to medium sized cleaning or organizing task in the house or garden every day (after months of being only a shadow of myself it is definitely needed) and at least my head usually gets screwed on right again...

Lots of good wishes to all of you!

• Floridaliving18
    Floridaliving18 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hi

love the new hair. Hope you radiation went well.

take care.

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519
    Options

OK ladies

How are all of you reacting to this Coronavirus outbreak? What, if anything, has your MO advised?

I have a call into my MO to see where my immune system stands based on last blood draw. My company is just shy of mandating work from home right now, and my son's indoor drumline season has been cancelled as all of the competition circuits have cancelled the remainder of the competitions.

Hope everyone stays healthy

Tracy

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    Options

Hey all, my local Wal-Mart ran out of paper goods including toilet paper. I still have been doing all the precautions I was doing while taking chemo. I have a gi appt end of March which makes me leary and my follow up visits are the first 2 weeks of April. Not overly worried but being very cautious, hope everyone is healing well both physically and mentally.

• Patty66
    Options

Being over here in Germany Corona is becoming an ever increasing concern. We are looking at possible school closings as early as next week. I am back to chemo safety mode... considering a little extra supply for the pantry at this point to avoid too many trips to the supermarket/commissary. How is the situation in the States right now and how are you handling it?

• Patty66
    Options

PS: The toilet paper has also been an issue in stores over here. Just wondering what good tp does against the virus...

• angieb92
    Options

Hey ladies!

Six cases have been reported here in AR. Of course, like winter weather, the panic set in. Luckily, I stocked up on supplies before my surgery last week so we’re good. I planned on working from home during my recovery and hopefully, when my sick leave ends, this will be less of a problem.

I have a follow-up appointment with my breast surgeon and plastic surgeon Monday that I intend to keep as long as they keep it. I have a Herceptin infusion, MUGA scan, and blood draw (to check if I am in menopause) a week from tomorrow. I plan on keeping those as well.

My heart is with those who are in the throes of chemo right now and whose immune systems are at the most vulnerable!

• Gamb
    Options

Patty, I think we have gone nuts in the states..lol NBA canceled their games Sec games will be played but without fans in the stadium some local schools and colleges have shut down until end of april, I live in backwoods Ky I guess I'll stay home....lol

• Gamb
    Options

i get the concern, it's just wild about the toilet paper...lol

• tmh0921
    Options

My MO called back and my bloodwork indicates my immune system has returned to normal so I'm considered average risk.

We have 31 cases in GA. My oldest son's indoor Drumline season has been cancelled, and my youngest son's soccer season is delayed until at least 4/30. My work has told us to all work from home until further notice, and schools are closing. Our county school system is having digital learning days (online school) until the end of the month

My insurance has approved my exchange surgery, I'm waiting on a date. I hope these virus concerns don't delay it - I'm so ready to be rid of these tissue expanders!

Stay well everyone

Hugs

Tracy

• angieb92
    Options

Tracy - yay on your immune system! I hope you get to do your exchange surgery ASAP. I’ve had mine 10 days and I’m already ready. A lady in another topic said that she felt lighter after she had her exchange surgery so I will be anxious to hear your experience.

I hope you all have a great germ-free Friday

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

Hi all!

On Monday, I cancelled our trip to Los Angeles (to go to Disneyland). JetBlue originally didn't want to let us change or cancel flights without paying $600 in fees, but I managed to eventually convince them! Of course, now they aren't charging anyone fees, but they were trying back then. Everything else was free to cancel, so we did. So glad, since they closed Disneyland!

All schools in Florida are closed until the 30th. We just started Spring Break anyway, so it's just an extra week off. I was already stocking up on supplies 2 weeks ago, just in case, so we're prepared.

At this point, we are minimizing contact with everyone, and trying not to go anywhere. We're just spending time together, playing games and watching movies. My husband has been approved to work from home for awhile. I had a blood test about a week ago and my MO said my immune system is back to normal. My WBC is still a little lower than the normal range, but it has been steadily rising since November, so she feels my immune system is okay. All I have in the next 2 weeks is my next Zoladex injection.

I hope you are all feeling well and doing whatever you need to do to feel safe and get through this. I just keep reminding myself it's short term pain for long term gain...just like all the treatment we've been through....all these closings will hopefully be worth it!

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Thinking of all you ladies right now. Hoping everyone’s staying healthy and safe.

I had my DIEP flap reconstruction on the 11th and came home late yesterday. I’m just tired and a bit frustrated the kids will be home with me for the next couple of weeks instead of at school as planned.

Overall I’m just looking forward to having drains removed again and being able to move around freely.

• angieb92
    Options

AC - glad your reconstruction went well. Hopefully, the kiddos will let you rest. I'm 11 days post BMX with TEs and I'm beyond ready for these drains to go.

I got my final pathology and all clear margins with no positive nodes. Great news to read! There was a small bit of residual cancer left 2 x 1mm so I bet I will get put on Kadcyla. Trying to do some research on that.

Otherwise, I'm staying away from people and town as much as I can. I have two doctors' appointments next week that I will make and then I will start working from home

• mandamaybe
    mandamaybe Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi all, I’m checking in for the first time since Thanksgiving. My path was a little slower than most. My white blood cell counts had a hard time with the combo of taxol and carboplatin, so I just finished chemo this past Monday, after 24 weeks and 16 infusions.

I was ready for this to be a time of celebration, re-entering the world and becoming a full time human again, but the universe has said “not so fast.” Instead, my family is completely self-isolating for the three weeks between now and my scheduled surgery, our spring break trip is cancelled, and my mom is no longer flying out to help post-surgery.

I’m looking at the bright side, the opportunity to spend quality family time and get out in nature, but I’m also pretty concerned about what’s going on in the world, especially given the state of my immune system and my upcoming surgery.

On a completely unrelated note, any thoughts on how long I should wait post chemo before I finally start sampling again from my wine cellar? :

• tmh0921
    Options

mandamaybe

I waited about 3 weeks from my final chemo to my first post chemo adult beverage. Congratulations on finishing chemo!!🎉

ACChaos

Hoping for a smooth recovery for you, being home bound with the kids is challenging! 😬

Schools in GA are closed until the end of the month, which means online school for our county. I’m working from home full time until further notice per company directive. All sports activities are closed. Definitely going to be a challenging few weeks.... so glad I’m done with chemo and not dealing with this and chemo too.

Tracy

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190
    Options

Congratulations on finishing chemo, mandamaybe!

• angieb92
    Options

mandamaybe - congratulations!! I hope you all are doing well and are safe. I thought I would share a hair update. I'm 11 weeks PFCimage

.image

• Gamb
    Options

Angie, nice hair growth, I'll be 12 weeks pfc tomorrow you have more hair than I do. I also noticed i have more facial hair than I did pre chemo, that is the hair I could do without.

• angieb92
    Options

Gamb - my facial hair is nuts too!! And my leg hair

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289
    Options

AC, wishing you speedy healing!

Congrats on finishing chemo, mandamaybe!!!! Just like Tracy, I waited until 3 weeks PFC to have any alcohol.

Angie, your hair growth looks great!

Gamb, my facial hair is crazy, too! I had to shave it around my jawline. Ugh.

Our schools are now closed through April 15th, though they are trying to start online learning in about 11 days. We'll see how that works out. Hubby is adjusting to working at home. I'm cooking, cleaning, organizing, and hanging out with our son. So far, so good.

• Gamb
    Options

Hi ladies, I got my rebounder today, wore me out setting it up...lol and it was simple. Oh well one small step, hell i am ready for leaps and bounds,

but my joints aren't

• Brilee76
    Options

Had revision to my reconstruction yesterday. It went well but I'm really sore. We did fat grafting. My PS took fat from my tummy dnd injected it into the skin over my implants to hide rippling. He also cut out some of my scar tissue on the right side to get rid of my dog ears and repositioned my implant for symmetry.

The hospital has to hide their gloves, hand sanitizer and toilet paper because people are stealing them!

• Gamb
    Options

Brilee glad surgery went well, onward and upward.

• angieb92
    Options

Glad everything went well, Bridget! How sad the hospital has to hide their supplies!

I have my MUGA, appointment with my oncologist, and infusion tomorrow and the hospital just called to let me knownI could not bring anyone with me. The hospital is an hour away but I am fine to go on my own. Plus, if something happens, my bosses are a mile away. It just made me feel so badly for people who may be starting this whole breast cancer fight and aren’t able to bring support with them

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42
    Options

Hey y’all! 3/4 of my drains came out today as well as the vac dressing and omg I’m SO much more comfortable! My five inch additional radius because of hoses is gone!

I’m still in a binder - it feels very odd without it now. My belly needs the support. But now I have a cami under it so it’s infinitely more comfortable.

The hospital was a very different place today. The entrances were very limited and all entrants had to have a reason to enter. And use antibacterial on their hands.

It’s difficult enough just my doctor taught my husband how to take out my drains! He took out 2 of the 3 that were removed. So next week, he will take out the last one at home so I don’t have to go into the hospital. He’s been such an amazing sport about all this.

I’m hopeful that my sleep will be better tonight with the improved situation.

All in all, I’m really happy with my reconstruction results. I am undecided on any further work. Esp. since it’ll be months in the future given how far out these procedures will be since they’re elective.

Hope everyone is staying sane! The kids are giving me wide berth during the day. 😳

• Brilee76
    Options

Congrats on getting the drains out AC! I'm so happy I didn't have to have one again for this revision. I'm in a stomach binder for a while but it's nowhere near as bad as those stinking drains.