Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Chemo September 2019

Comments

• tmh0921
    tmh0921 Member Posts: 519

Bridget

Glad surgery went well! Are your implants over or under the muscle?

• tmh0921

ACChaos

Yay for removing drains! I remember those being the worst part. I'm not looking forward to that part of exchange surgery.

• angieb92
    angieb92 Member Posts: 291

Yay, AC!!!! Celebrate your drain freedom

• Brilee76
    Brilee76 Member Posts: 190

My implants are over the muscle.

• tmh0921

Thanks Bridget

I’m 19 weeks PFC. Here's an updated hair picture. This is fresh out of the shower, it sticks up and I can see some length now.

Tracy

• angieb92

Great hair pics, Tracy!!!

• Brilee76

Lookin good Tracy! Mine seems to have stopped growing long and started thickening up or filling in on top. I get to remove my surgical dressings and shower this evening! Woohoo!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570

Nice pixie length TMH, My hair is so thick, never was this thick before and slow growing, but I have enough hair to go with out a hat now, so my head will not get burned...lol

• angieb92

I hope everyone is doing well! I went to my PS appointment today and still have to wear my drains. My output is nuts! I measure 24 hours worth and since yesterday morning, my left side put out 65cc and my right side put out 50cc. I’ve been averaging 40-50cc per side. I’m doing too much with my arms (and I am left-handed).
    I did have my first fill which wasn’t too bad.

• Cat029
    Cat029 Member Posts: 24

My double mastectomy is tomorrow. I'll have tissue expanders put in and then I'll have about 6 months to decide whether or not I want implants or the DIEP surgery. Because of Covid-19, my husband can't wait at the hospital during my surgery or visit me in the hospital after surgery. I'm really scared and him not being there makes it all worse

• Monkey0299
    Monkey0299 Member Posts: 28

Cat029, I am so sorry you have to deal with your surgery without your husband. There is nothing really to say other than that sucks. I am really sorry. Hopingyour surgery goes smoothly and that you are back home with your husband very quickly.

• Gamb

Cat that does suck.. hope surgery goes well and the virus stays away. Hope you bought something comfortable for after the mastectomy. Best wishes to you.

• Gamb

Angie, yep to much arm movement makes fluid drain more. Most Drs will not leave them I past 3 weeks because of increased for infection. My last drain removed still had some drainage 2 weeks after removal. I wore a maxi pad taped over it worked good to c9llect the fluid

• Brilee76

Sorry to hear that, Cat. 🥺 Praying for you and your family. I hope everything goes as well for you as it did for me. I had my bilateral mastectomies with immediate reconstruction straight to implant and was discharged less than 24 hours after I arrived at the hospital!

• tmh0921

Sorry to hear that Cat, I hope your recovery is smooth and you don’t have to be in the hospital long.

I had my colonoscopy yesterday and it was all clear. Saw my MO today for my Zoladex shot, labs, and port flush. My hormone levels are remaining low, so I’m switching from Tamoxifen to Femara (AI) today.

My insurance has approved my exchange surgery, but I’m waiting on a date. I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets pushed out a few months with everything going on with COVD-19

I had about 100 face masks left from when I was on chemo. I took them to my MO office to see if anyone could use them. They were thrilled. Face masks are on backorder and they had an employee steal a bunch of theirs. So my doctor and nurses now have a few more to help them out.

Hope everyone is staying healthy

Tracy

• ACchaos
    ACchaos Member Posts: 42

It’s so heartening to see everyone making forward progress. I know it doesn’t seem like it, but remember where we all started last year. It’s amazing.

Yay for hair! Mine is sticking straight up and isn’t curling much to my daughter’s dismay. She was really looking forward to some curls.

So, drains. The fastest route is to sit your butt down as much as possible. I had my mastectomy drains in for just over three weeks because I just couldn’t stop myself. With the reconstruction I’ve fought my way through with a ridiculous amount of sitting. I’ve been taking walks, but I really have put my butt to the recliner and tried to make it harder on myself to be super active. And sure enough, drain output has been way better. I have one left, but it’s so much better than having all four.

Cat, hugs to you. Hopefully the nurses can help with at least talking to your husband after surgery. How long will you have to stay? I ask because my BX w/TE’s was outpatient - I went home that afternoon. Hopefully you won’t be stuck for too long. *hug

• Patty66
    Patty66 Member Posts: 45

Awesome hair, Tracy

• Cat029
    Cat029 Member Posts: 24

I’m out of Hospital! I was going to go home last night after surgery but I couldn’t stay awake after anesthesia and the dr/nurse decided to keep me overnigh

• Gamb

Cat, so glad you you are thru surgery and home. Home is always the best place to be, especially now. Hope you have an uneventful recovery. Peace.

• Del13
    Del13 Member Posts: 180

Great Cat,, take care of yourself!! Hope all are doing well!! Sending out Hugs and positive vibes

Linda

• angieb92

Glad you are home, cat!!!

• lms458412
    lms458412 Member Posts: 289

Bridget - Glad your revision went well.

AC - Glad you got 3 of your drains out! I'm sure you feel so much better now...

Tracy - Your hair looks great! Glad to hear your colonoscopy was clear. I know I'll have to get one next year. Not looking forward to it!

Gamb - Yay for being hat-free!

Angie - I hope you get your drains out soon! Take it easy so that output goes down....

Cat - So sorry you had to go through surgery without your husband there, but glad it went well and you're home now. Rest up!

• lms458412

Hi everyone! I am well. My husband is working from home now and I'm homeschooling my son, so it's been a bit crazy around here. But, we're making the most of it!

I'm over a month out from radiation and my skin is still peeling in one area, and a bit tender in another area, but it's improving. I hope it'll heal up enough so I can have my revision procedure in August or September (dog ear removal).

Last week I had my third Zoladex implant and I started anastrozole (generic Arimidex). So far, I'm not noticing any side effects besides a few more hot flashes than usual and creakier joints. So far, they are tolerable, but I understand that can change weeks or months out. Hoping for the best!

My scans should be scheduled for late April/early May. Fingers crossed I get the all clear. I'm so nervous! Once I know the date, I'll be asking for some prayers. :)

Hope everyone is doing well in this crazy time. I may not pop in as often as I used to, but I think about you all a lot and pray for your health and happiness.

• angieb92

Leah - glad to hear you are doing okay! I’m supposed to start anastrozole soon so I’m glad to hear the SEs are minimal so far.

I’m supposed to get my first. Kadcyla in April 10 so I a wonder if I will start after that.

I still have my drains and they are still giving output of more than 30cc daily. This morning, the left side had 50cc and the right side had 45cc. And the left side has now decided to leak out of the tube site where it goes into my body. I taped a pad on it and will deal with it at my fill tomorrow. Always something.

I hope you all are doing well in this age of COVID. ❤️

• tmh0921

Hi all, just checking in on everyone. I hope you are all staying well physically and mentally right now.

I've been working from home for two weeks, and my 2 kids have been doing digital learning from home for two weeks. My husband is in manufacturing and critical to the supply chain, so he and his plant workers are still working with additional precautions. The county where we live is now under mandatory “shelter in place" orders, so we aren't to leave our homes except for critical activities such as getting groceries, seeking medical care, etc. We have a stocked freezer and pantry, so we should be good to go.

This week I switched from Zoladex + Tamoxifen to Zoladex + Letrazole (generic Femara). It's only been a week and I know things can change, but so far I'm finding Letrazole to be easier than Tamoxifen. I have far fewer aches, so I hope this trend continues.

My exchange surgery has been delayed until at least June, probably later. I’m disappointed, but in the grand scheme of things it’s the right decision. There are better uses for our healthcare resources right now, and I prefer not to take un-necessary risk

I think of you all every day.

Hugs

Tracy

• lms458412

Just popping in to post a hair update. It's gotten very curly and more gray, but I'll take whatever I can get!

• Brilee76

Love the hair LMS! I was hoping mine would come back curly but no such luck.

• Gamb

Lms, great looking hair!!!

• tmh0921

Leah

Love the curls!

• angieb92

Leah the hair looks great!!!