Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Starting Radiation Sept. 2019

Options

Comments

• KatherineGrace
    KatherineGrace Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi

I am also upstate, not sure where you are but I am down to 6 treatments. The first 3 my ribs were sore, but after that I started trying to stretch out and take some Aleve before hand. I call it the table from Hell, but it is saving my life. I am very lucky that were I get my treatments the techs and nurses are SO great. Where you go do they play music?. The Rad techs knew my favorite music and put it on for me.

My suggestion is give yourself time to rest after the treatments, and if you are passing a store that you like, stop in after the treatment and get yourself a little something. I always buy things for my fur babies( Chewy loves me) and not myself but have been getting myself some little things, nail polish ( even though I have short nails), Walmart leggings for Halloween or what ever holiday is coming up or some inexpensive cards for your loved one's. Hang in there, it is tough and don't let anyone say it's not. Get up every morning for your treatment and pick out something you like to wear and is comfortable.

Luv

K

• KatherineGrace
    Options

HI there,

I guess I can join the tanned armpit group. Hope it gets better, but in hindsight, Who would notice?

;-)

• mocame
    mocame Member Posts: 554
    Options

KatherineGrace - They play music for us too and the type of music changes by the day. Monday was country, Tuesday was 50's, and today I didn't recognize it, so who knows. My one tech loves music so she sings along the whole time. :)

• polkadot1
    polkadot1 Member Posts: 46
    Options

Tennisgirl1- I can so feel your emotions in your post. Rads are so very draining physically, emotionally in every way possible. I don’t have any great advice except to tell you it IS going to get better and you truly are getting close to the end. Look how far you’ve come already. Try to be kind to yourself and rest as much as possible. You truly need it right now.

Hugs to you!!! You’ve got this.

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

tennisgirl1: Sorry to hear that you are not feeling great. I just wanted to chime in about the nausea. I had nausea for about a week and talked to my RO. He kept insisting that radiation to the breast does not cause nausea. After we talked a while on Monday, he asked if I had GERD. I don't have GERD but mentioned that I had been taking Zantac daily for about six weeks (d/t chemo) but my GI doc two weeks ago told me to stop. The RO thinks that my nausea is a remnant from chemo that is causing reflux. He started me on a prescription dose of prilosec. I've used the med since Monday and so far, no nausea. Could you be having the same problem?

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    Options

hi tennisgirl- I'm so sorry that you are experiencing some bad SE. I don't know if I could've done 30 sessions. You and Yndorian and others who have/had that kind of number of treatments truly are fighters. I hope the boosts give you some rest.

Welcome KatherineGrace

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

Hi tennisgirl, the fatigue is really starting to clobber me now too. I walk and take a train to my hospital every day, usually stopping off on the way home to pick up some groceries and then wander home on autopilot. Unfortunately the fact that I have a memory like a goldfish with concussion at the moment doesn't exactly help, and I tend to completely forget what I need to buy. Let's just say we've had some very 'creative' meals the past week or so. Usually force myself to a lap of the local park with the dog and then home for a late afternoon siesta!

Sorry you're feeling nauseous at the moment. Have you been given any medication? I had terrible nausea and reflux during chemo and it took a good few tries with different drugs to find anything that eased it. Smaller more frequent meals work better for me and getting plenty of fluids down.

I've developed a weird feeling in my throat this week, like something's stuck down there. Apparently it's due to my treatment area shifting to the collarbone now. Not sore, just feels tight on the that side when I swallow. Rads doc had a look today and said they'll keep an eye on it. I have a bone density scan and an appointment with my MO tomorrow too so it'll be a busy afternoon. Hope I don't fall asleep in the waiting area!

((Gentle hugs))

• UpstateNYer
    UpstateNYer Member Posts: 331
    Options

Tennisgirl1& pokyspider, Hope you will be feeling better soon. I am praying that those nasty se's subside soon.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    Options

Tennisgirl and pokyspider: Sorry for the nausea and tiredness. I'm also like that, 8 days after finishing the rads, it seems that the recovery process is slow. Tomorrow I have my bone scan (fingers crossed!) For the MR I still have no date.

DogMomRunner, congratulations for finishing. I hope you get well soon.

Kamboka, Mocame, rlws, Pink Armor, UpStateNYer, Polkadot,... I hope you are doing well ❤❤❤

• dogmomrunner
    Options

pokyspider and tennisgirl- hope you both start feeling better. I can't imagine being nauseous and having to go through radiation. It was bad enough with chemo.

Goldfish with a concussion. You have a way with words poky

Hi Yndorian and UpstateNYer! And everyone else!

• mocame
    Options

Has anyone experienced problems with your shoulder or arms from radiation? I noticed the past couple of days that I was getting tingling, and the funny feeling you get like when you hit your funny bone, in my left arm (cancer side). I thought that maybe my back was out of alignment or I slept wrong or something. Well today during rads, my shoulder felt like it was almost going to spasm. Then when I was done and got out of that position, my arm felt like I hit my funny bone and almost numb and weak. Now I'm wondering if it's from the position they put my shoulder and arm during radiation. Does anyone do exercises for their shoulder/arms?

• mysticalcity
    mysticalcity Member Posts: 184
    Options

Yes you should be doing exercises--at least that is what I was told. There are a number of facilities that recommend it.

Arm and shoulder morbidity following surgery and radiotherapy for breast cancer: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/0284186X.2014.880512

https://conquer-magazine.com/categories/breast-cancer/394-shoulder-pain-and-breast-cancer

Here is another link with some actual exercise info:

https://www.healthline.com/health/breast-cancer/why-do-i-have-arm-shoulder-pain#postsurgery-treatments-and-exercises

I can't find the exercise info my RO gave me, but if I do I will post it.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    Options

Mocame, I'm also dealing with pain in my whole arm, it's worse now that the rads are over. I also notice that I have lost some of the mobility that I had achieved after surgery. I try to exercise and stretch but it is painful. I still have not seen my SO after rads, and my MO only prescribed anti-inflammatories. It is awful

• mocame
    Options

I'm not having radiation to the lymph nodes or chest wall so I thought my chances of having the radiation effecting my arm/shoulder would be slim? I'm hoping it just from the positioning of my shoulder/arm during radiation. I'll try working on some of the exercises mysticalcity linked and see what happens. I wish my RO would've given me some exercises ahead of time to do for this.

• tennisgirl1
    tennisgirl1 Member Posts: 30
    Options

24/30 Done! The last three treatments were boosts to spare my whole breast skin. Then it’ll be whole breast the last few. I am feeling so much better. I did have major nausea to the point of almost throwing up. I took Zofran which helped enormously. It doesn’t make sense that I have such nausea, but it’s better now. I reached out to the nutritionist who is part of my “cancer support team”. I’m meeting with her this Wednesday.

Polkadot: thank you so much for your support. Your words truly are uplifting.

Kamboka: I’ve never had GERD or any reflux problems. I appreciate you problem solving with me. It might just be an anomaly. Not sure.

DogMomRunner: Your words of support mean so much.

Pokyspider: Zofran really worked. I might be overdoing my activity level. I’ll let you know!

Upstate: Thanks for your words and encouragement. Hope you are well.

Yforian: I’m loving to hear how you are doing post rads. Please post as you can.

Here’s to a great weekend of peace, sleeping in, strength to keep going,and minimal side effects. We can do this.

• UpstateNYer
    Options

Tennisgirl1- so happy you are feeling much better. Did you have issues with nausea during chemo as well? But, you are almost through!! Let us know what the nutritionist says. When will you begin anastrozole? I am doing very well on it. Been on it almost 2 months now.

Had out of town family visit this weekend. It has been tiring, but fun. On Monday am getting new quartz countertops in my kitchen. Am getting very excited about it.

Hi to DogMomRunner, Polkadot, yndorian1,smackan,pokyspider, mocame, mysticalcity, & everyone else. Hope you are doing ok.

• dogmomrunner
    Options

tennisgirl- I'm so glad that you are doing better!!

Happy weekend to all you rad warriors!

• KatherineGrace
    Options

Hi UpstateNYer and all the Rad Ladies,

I get to ring the bell this Thursday, 10/31. I am glad as my skin has started to peel off after 7 weeks 5x a week of Rad. But the center I go to has been really supportive, so I am going to bring them some Halloween goodies and wear my Halloween leggings ( dogs dressed up with costumes). Hubby is coming with me, he wanted to meet everyone and see the treatment room and the table from Hell. Although very excited to end this the scare will always be there. I have a mamo in 6 months which I will be totally panicked about but all the tests and OncoType say things should be ok.

But as you all know once you go thru this you really never feel safe. Best of luck and warm hugs to all of you still on the journey, stay strong, stay hopeful and always know you are NOT alone.

I will check in from time to time. I start the hormone therapy soon, hope no side effects

warm regards

• UpstateNYer
    Options

Early Congrats to you, katherinegrace. How exciting to be ringing that bell on Thursday. Glad you had a supportive team. Hoping anti estrogen therapy goes well. I am doing great on anastrozole. Yes, please check in on the thread and let us know how you're doing. 👍

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Woo hoo KatherineGrace! Another early congrats! I like the sound of the leggings and what a cute profile pic. :) I am not on anti hormones so no helpful advice but I hope it goes well

• smackan
    smackan Member Posts: 34
    Options

Congrats to all those that have finished. I am 2.5 weeks past completion and the fatigue is getting worse - which definitely surprised me. I hope it starts to improve soon. My armpit is still peeling but the RO looked at it last week and said it doing as expected and to keep putting aquaphor on it. I also had my large hematoma looked at by my PS and he said I need to have surgery to have it removed (on non BC side) since it is so large. It is about the size of a small banana but they want to wait 3 months to see if it goes down in size at all but it hasn't since my surgery 3 months ago. The smaller hematoma (6 cm) where the cancer was removed is really sore and the RO said radiation irritates it, but the PS said they will not touch that one and it will probably always remain. It seems like cancer is the gift that keeps on giving. Hard to believe, I thought I was completely healthy 6 months ago and now all I do is go to doctors. I think the ending of active treatments is an unsettling feeling and I feel a little lost. But I still have Tamoxifen to start but I haven't been brave enough to start yet. Maybe this weekend....

Good luck to everyone still going through treatments and hope everyone who has completed is still doing well!

• PinkArmor
    PinkArmor Member Posts: 51
    Options

Smackan, Sorry about the hematomas. I also have one on my non cancer side that volcanoed out one of my nipple stitches 2.5 weeks after surgery. I am still dealing with the healing on that side. I have been threatened with surgery as well but I am fighting that as hard as I can.

All of my radiation issues are mostly gone. I still get bad zingers occasionally and I found the peeling isn't a normal sunburn peeling. This is different it just kinda rubs off? Weird. Anyway I think I have gotten past the exhaustion stage. Having a few days off has been great. Now to get serious about a job- vacation over!

hope everyone is feeling fine and no SE for those still in treatment.

• dogmomrunner
    Options

smackan- I’m sorry that you are still having fatigue. I am tired but attributed it to the after effects of chemo and work stress. I don’t have any advice about the hematomas but I’m sorry you’re going through that too.

I also was (at least I thought) absolutely healthy. My PCP even after diagnosis said I was extremely healthy. I haven’t even been able to get back into the running. Maybe someday we will all get back to to feeling close to that

Oh and I like your pic too! We have an abundance of cute pups in this place!

• PinkArmor
    Options

I went to a hormone therapy a few weeks ago. We were talking with some of the ladies who had not had rad tx yet and answering questions. When we said that the rad SE's could last a few months after tx the onc nurse corrected us and said that in reality the SE's could last up to a year later. I thought well "of course the gift that keeps on giving" just another thing to add to the list that cancer does for us.

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

Hello fellow Rad Warriors!

Glad to hear you are doing better tennisgirl.

Congrats to katherineGrace! My hubby came and met everyone on my last day and took pics and a video of me ringing the bell, bitter sweet!

smacken - so sorry about fatigue and needing more surgery, one day at time!

Dogrunner - you will get there to be out running, take victory in a walk and soon it will happen!

I finished rads 3 weeks ago today. I started my hormone meds, tamoxifen on October 14th, I take 20 mg a day, take at night. I do still have fatigue as well. I do not know if it is rads or tamoxifen, but it is there and I have to listen to the body. I still am going to sleep very early because I feel like I have to. My skin from rads has done well, I am lucky. Itchy and some zingers but manageable. The hot flashes being forced into menopause are not fun, but better than cancer:)

I am trying to keep to exercising. Run 2 or 3 times a week and play a little tennis(that is slow as I had rotator cuff surgery in December) I am far from where I was before running, with both distance and time, but glad to do it. Running a 5K on Saturday. I do the running to take control, I hate this out of control feeling, If not up for a run, I do at least walk the dogs.

I do feel in many ways we have all won the battle to be this far and then at times I feel that we have just begun. I do know that first mammogram in February, for me, will be an anxious day. I do feel that despite it all we have life and need to live to the fullest, whatever it is today and as it improves capture it and enjoy that!

I am reminded that God says in the bible that he will not give us more than we can handle so I want to say that I am surrounded, in this group, with some amazing women that can handle a lot!

Prayers coming to all! Have a great rest of your week.

• pokyspider
    pokyspider Member Posts: 59
    Options

I didn't write this but it sums things up pretty darn well so I thought I’d share...

What's it like to go through cancer treatment?

It's something like this: one day, you're minding your own business, you open the fridge to get some breakfast, and OH MY GOD THERE'S A MOUNTAIN LION IN YOUR FRIDGE.

Wait, what? How? Why is there a mountain lion in your fridge? NO TIME TO EXPLAIN. RUN! THE MOUNTAIN LION WILL KILL YOU! UNLESS YOU FIND SOMETHING EVEN MORE FEROCIOUS TO KILL IT FIRST!

So you take off running, and the mountain lion is right behind you. You know the only thing that can kill a mountain lion is a bear, and the only bear is on top of the mountain, so you better find that bear. You start running up the mountain in hopes of finding the bear. Your friends desperately want to help, but they are powerless against mountain lions, as mountain lions are godless killing machines. But they really want to help, so they're cheering you on and bringing you paper cups of water and orange slices as you run up the mountain and yelling at the mountain lion - "GET LOST, MOUNTAIN LION, NO ONE LIKES YOU" - and you really appreciate the support, but the mountain lion is still coming.

Also, for some reason, there's someone in the crowd who's yelling "that's not really a mountain lion, it's a puma" and another person yelling "I read that mountain lions are allergic to kale, have you tried rubbing kale on it?"

As you're running up the mountain, you see other people fleeing their own mountain lions. Some of the mountain lions seem comparatively wimpy - they're half grown and only have three legs or whatever, and you think to yourself - why couldn't I have gotten one of those mountain lions? But then you look over at the people who are fleeing mountain lions the size of a monster truck with huge prehistoric saber fangs, and you feel like an asshole for even thinking that - and besides, who in their right mind would want to fight a mountain lion, even a three-legged one?

Finally, the person closest to you, whose job it is to take care of you - maybe a parent or sibling or best friend or, in my case, my husband - comes barging out of the woods and jumps on the mountain lion, whaling on it and screaming "GODDAMMIT MOUNTAIN LION, STOP TRYING TO EAT MY WIFE," and the mountain lion punches your husband right in the face. Now your husband (or whatever) is rolling around on the ground clutching his nose, and he's bought you some time, but you still need to get to the top of the mountain.

Eventually you reach the top, finally, and the bear is there. Waiting. For both of you. You rush right up to the bear, and the bear rushes the mountain lion, but the bear has to go through you to get to the mountain lion, and in doing so, the bear TOTALLY KICKS YOUR ASS, but not before it also punches your husband in the face. And your husband is now staggering around with a black eye and bloody nose, and saying "can I get some help, I've been punched in the face by two apex predators and I think my nose is broken," and all you can say is "I'M KIND OF BUSY IN CASE YOU HADN'T NOTICED I'M FIGHTING A MOUNTAIN LION."

Then, IF YOU ARE LUCKY, the bear leaps on the mountain lion and they are locked in epic battle until finally the two of them roll off a cliff edge together, and the mountain lion is dead.

Maybe. You're not sure - it fell off the cliff, but mountain lions are crafty. It could come back at any moment.

And all your friends come running up to you and say "that was amazing! You're so brave, we're so proud of you! You didn't die! That must be a huge relief!"

Meanwhile, you blew out both your knees, you're having an asthma attack, you twisted your ankle, and also you have been mauled by a bear. And everyone says "boy, you must be excited to walk down the mountain!" And all you can think as you stagger to your feet is "fuck this mountain, I never wanted to climb it in the first place."

• dogmomrunner
    Options

Oh pokyspider! I loved that! Especially this part - “another person yelling "I read that mountain lions are allergic to kale, have you tried rubbing kale on it?"

I hope you don’t mind if I copy and share

• PinkArmor
    Options

pokeysider, that is so on point. I feel like the mountain lion got a few swipes in first before the bear got to him. And the part about falling off the cliff and maybe he's dead? Yeah, maybe but who knows. I giggled at the part about the kale-so so true.

Just what I needed to hear today- so thank you!

• UpstateNYer
    Options

pokyspider- Great read, so very true. I loved the rubbing with kale part too. Thanks again.

• rlws
    rlws Member Posts: 37
    Options

Pokyspider - that is amazing! loved it and so on point. Thank you for sharing this!!!!