Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Remember When!!

Options

Comments

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,144
    edited April 2020
    Options

Don't forget Tim the bear from Dick & Jane. Laughably, my youngest brother was named after him. He was the 4th child and my mother said we could pick a boy and girl name for this latest addition. Could have been worse, fortunately we did not know about Winne the Pooh.

Had a nursing instructor that used a yardstick to ensure our student nurse uniforms (especially the bib apron) were 12 inches from the floor. If not, then we had to rip out the hems.

Loved Sky Bars and Clark bars.

What was the name of the lip gloss that turned your lips rosy?

• grammamuses
    grammamuses Member Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2020
    Options

I am enjoying this immensely. By the way, I am pushing 85 so I have a whole lotta "remember when" and I suspect some of that is well before many of you were born. I promise I won't share it all. But who remembers rationing during WW2 and saving every last scrap of rubber , leather and metals and victory gardens?

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2020
    Options

I remember my mother talking about all the WWII rationing and how the country got behind it in support of troops. She never got past saving aluminum foil. You were NEVER to get a new piece until you checked to see if there was an adequate used piece.

Remember S&H green stamps?

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited April 2020
    Options

Gramma, I'm 5 years behind you and I do remember rationing.! Remember when margarine first came out and you had to add the color to it?

Also, someone mentioned milk delivery in glass bottles. Did you ever find the cap pushed up because the milk had frozen?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Beaver, yes! Those pushed up milk bottle caps from frozen milk.

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited April 2020
    Options

Loved the frozen milk bottle caps story. I went to very small school and the milk sat in an unheated entryway in winter until lunch and we saw a lot of pushed up caps!! Good memories!! Grammamuses, please share as many memories as you can!! I love stories and your stories from earlier days will probably trigger us to remember stories we heard from our parents/grandparents.

Please ask others who haven't discovered us yet to join us with their memories. Loads of fun!!

Remember the Ed Sullivan show and seeing the Beatles for the first time?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

That Beatles memory is seared into my brain!

Remember when Twiggy became the ideal body type? Set generations of eating disorders in motion.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Twiggy! Ugh!

Remember saving Mallo Cups points, taping them to long strips of cellophane tape, and mailing them in for..? I don't remember what we got, does anyone else remember?

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited April 2020
    Options

Ppl called me twiggy back then. When he was called Elvis the pelvis, and only showed him from waist up. Think it was Ed Sullivan show?

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Lining up at school for polio vaccine. ALL those sugar cubes you only got one.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Cold War drills....like getting under our desks was going to do anything

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember “Hey, Hey We’re the Monkees...”

Making “leaf” books with fall leaves, wax paper, and an iron !

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,971
    edited April 2020
    Options

How about Nancy Drew? And the Bobbsey Twins; Nan and Bert, Freddie and Flossie.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

remember when the cost for movie was 30 cents and popcorn was a nickel?

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

In PE, did you ever work ou to the record "Go You Chicken Fat Go!"? I just googled the lyrics:

[Verse 1]
    Touch down every morning - ten times!
    Not just now and then

Give that chicken fat back to the chicken
    And don't be chicken again
    No, don't be chicken again

[Verse 2]
    Push up every morning - ten times
    Push up starting low
    Once more on the rise, nuts to the flabby guys!
    Go, you chicken fat, go away!
    Go, you chicken fat, go!

Now, touch your toes with me. Ready!

[Verse 1]

Hit the dirt! Hit!
    Push ups next, nice and steady
    Not too fast, ready?

[Verse 2]

Left! Left! Left! Left!
    Left a good pound and a quarter
    Was it right, right that it should be left?
    Yes, I left! Left! Left! Left!
    Left a good pound and a quarter
    It was right (left), right (left) that it should be left!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    edited April 2020
    Options

Betrayal - the lipstick is Tangee. I actually still use only that. Orange in the tube - the lipstick that goes on clear and gradually transforms into the perfect shade for you.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/original-tange...

I really don't have stock in Vermont Country Store, but I sure wish I did.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

LOL!!! Love all your "remember whens"!!!! You're all making this uncertain time once filled with good memories!! I especially remember Spookiesmom's story of getting a sugar cube with the polio vaccine and wondering why we only got one in the tiniest of little paper cups!!

Remember when you saw your first mainframe computer and data punch cards? Long, long before there was such a thing as a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet!!!

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

The yellow quarantine sign on the door if you had any communicable childhood disease, measles, mumps, or anything pre vaccine.

• grammamuses
    grammamuses Member Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2020
    Options

As for milk delivered in bottles, no, because I grew up on a dairy farm so yes I knew exactly where milk came from, and no the brown cows did not produce chocolate milk. And (GASP) there was no toilet paper then either, So I/m good to go (pun intended) if we run out.

SillyHeart

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    edited April 2020
    Options

I worked on a switchboard for a major department store. Two lines to plug in for each call. One cord went into the hole for the incoming call on the board to answer. Then another paired cord plugged into to the hole for the extension desired.

• beaverntx
    edited April 2020
    Options

Anybody remember saving green stamps?

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh, yes, my mother got all her "good" silverware with green stamps!!

Remember when grocery stores had whole sets of dishes (plates, cups, saucers, etc.) you could get one-by-one free or low cost for buying a certain dollar amount of groceries?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Minus, I had a work study job in college answering a switchboard.

Anyone go to school in a building that had a separate cloak room?

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yes, that was where we stored our "dinner pails" -- no refrigeration!!

Remember when "lunch" was in mid-afternoon, "dinner" was at noon, and "supper" was the last meal of the day? When did we change that that to "breakfast, lunch, and dinner"??

• beaverntx
    edited April 2020
    Options

Grade school had a cloakroom in each classroom.

I have a set of those grocery store dishes!

This maybe one that grammars and I share, rolling up your jeans and fastening with the largest safety style pin you could find. I think mine had a pink cap on it.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

tube tops, go go boots, mini skirts, midi skirts, tie-dyed tee shirts, Nehru jackets, love beads, ironing my hair

• beaverntx
    edited April 2020
    Options

Never ironed my hair but "teased" the life out of it!

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yellow stamps too. Sales tax stamps. Postage in the pennies, less than 5 cents.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember the cigarette ads on TV? My FIL recently had a fall and blacked his eye....looked just like the Tarryton (sp) ads.....”I’d rather fight than switch.”

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,144
    edited April 2020
    Options

MinusTwo: Thank you for the Tangee name. It was the first make-up my Mom would let me purchase and wear. Muguet perfume (smelled like lily of the valley). Dippity Doo hair product to make your hair thicker and your curls last?

BTW, my Mom still had a wall mounted dial phone in her home in 2016. It still worked and her grandchildren, and great-grandchildren were fascinated by it. It was the original installed in the house in 1951 (party line at that time) and she had the same phone number for over 60 years though she did get an area code when they came out. We used to say if she whacked you over the head with the receiver, it would kill you because it was so heavy. No privacy because it was in the hallway off the livingroom and the cord was too short to go into another room and close the door.

Green stamps, dishes in laundry detergent boxes and also handed out at the movie theaters. Pedal pushers, garter belts, pairs of stockings, and white patent leather shoes for Easter. This is fun.