Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Remember When!!

Options

Comments

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited April 2020
    Options

I remember when we had to handwrite everything because people didn't have computers and typewriters were only for special things.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,146
    edited April 2020
    Options

Using cardboard appliance boxes as either forts or for camping out in the backyard? Favorites were washer or dryer boxes.

Making tents by suspending a blanket or oilcloth tablecloth over a clothes line? Slept in those as well.

We had to be home when the street lights came on. Riding behind trucks spraying for mosquites?

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,972
    edited April 2020
    Options

station wagons.....

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited April 2020
    Options

Dad snoring on the couch, baseball on the transistor radio, golf on tv. Probably Sam Snead. DONT TOUCH THAT IM JUST RESTING MY EYES.

• Fina2sand
    Fina2sand Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2020
    Options

Does anyone know about scrumping as kids? Apples blackberries making pies or jam lol

• grammamuses
    grammamuses Member Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2020
    Options

What is scrumping? Yes, I remember picking berries in the wild, and we had a 12 tree apple orchard, lot of pies, applesauce, jam, cobblers and various berry shortcakes with rich whipped cream ,anyone remember the days before milk was pasteurized?

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember finding the biggest, longest hill in the area and riding your bike downhill as fast as you could and seeing how far you could coast up the other side!! It would scare the wits out of me now because we got up to around 40mph on a potholed road!!!

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2020
    Options

ceanna, DH still does this when we bike.....scares me to death to watch it. If he falls, it’s not going to be pretty.

Anyone clothes pin a playing card on bike frame so it made a “motor” sound as it went through the spokes?

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

I lived in the suburbs wanted a horse really bad. So my bike became one.And behinds that house was a cow pasture. We’d compete with the cows to get the blackberries.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yogatyme, I don't remember doing the playing card thing with my bike, but remember when we had plastic tassels that we somehow put in the end of our handlebars! They'd fly out straight the faster we went!! I detect a theme here--I must have liked to ride fast when I rode bike as a kid!!!!

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

The plastic handlebar cover had a hole in it, the streamers as we called them, had a metal wrapper and you put that in the handlebar hole. Then G

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

I remember playing 'Going on Vacation'. My dad would pull the car out of the garage (which was in the alley) and we'd pretend we were driving someplace & then we would 'park' and camp out (in a tent made by draping a blanket over the picnic table).

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,092
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh yes - four on the floor. I always wanted a Mustang. Anybody else old enough to remember "necker knobs" on the steering wheels?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

DH bought me a new bike a few years ago, complete with bell, basket and streamers!!

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh, yes, thanks for reminding me we called them streamers!! Fun memories!! I was always on my bike when I was a kid and young adult, and now haven't had one in years. I'll have to look into getting one again! I suppose one never forgets how to ride one, right?!

Remember your first college roommate(s)? We had four of us in a small bedroom in an apartment style dorm room.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember the dog or cat you had as a kid--mine was a mid-sized terrier.

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Brittany spaniels. Tom & Jerry.

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2020
    Options

... if you wanted your clothes to dry, you hung them on a clothes line outside... remember clothes pins?

Remember when you had to open windows in two separate rooms, and tie a box fan in one of the windows, so that you would get a cross-breeze while sleeping? On a hot, summer night, that was “central air conditioning.”

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2020
    Options

I like visuals better with these kind of subjects, so I hope you don't mind.

Clackers?

clackers - these were loud and fun, but watch out they hurt ...

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember chasing the mosquito man's truck? - silive.com

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

I remember spending many hours creating very decorative dyed eggs for the Easter Bunny to deliver & one year I remember my sister & I got matching Easter dresses and bonnets. My sister's hat blew off in the church parking lot and into a big ditch before it was gallantly rescued by my brother. Luckily it was a dry year, so the hat was not much worse for wear.

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Having the dog “help” DD find the eggs in the yard.

• grammamuses
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember finding out there was NO Easter Bunny? Or do you still believe? Or did you never believe? Happy Easter everyone.

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

I still get candy from the Easter Bunny! Winking

• grammamuses
    edited April 2020
    Options

ThumbsUpRuthbru, send that Bunny over here please.

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

and then here!!! Please!!!!!

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Easter was when we got to see the child in our mom. She LOVED Peeps and we all gave ours to her.

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Who prefers stale peeps, besides me ?

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Not into peeps, but missed my Reese's peanut butter eggs today!!!

Remember when you found out that chocolate bunnies were hollow!!??

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

This thread is only a week old and I have so enjoyed walking down memory lane with you through all your posts. Invite your friends on other threads to join us and share their memories!!