Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Remember When!!

Options

Comments

• ceanna
    ceanna Member Posts: 3,120
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember when you deposited your few dollars in the bank and they physically stamped your bankbook?? The bankbook was something you had to keep track of and take back every time your made a deposit or withdrawal!! I was very proud to have a few dollars and a bankbook when I was a teen!

• aussie-cat
    aussie-cat Member Posts: 5,496
    edited April 2020
    Options

I remember walking to and from school for the first 7 years of my schooling. I'm also thinking about orange and green kitchens from the 1970s, and floral wallpaper.

• Yogatyme
    Yogatyme Member Posts: 1,793
    edited April 2020
    Options

Aussie, we also walked to school until high school. This was in Michigan and those winter days had us trucking pretty quickly.

Remember those fat kindergarten & 1st grade pencils?

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,146
    edited April 2020
    Options

Does anyone remember buying the stamps for US Savings bonds at school? They were sold weekly, on Fridays, and cost ten cents. You put them in a booklet until you reached the amount needed to purchase the bond.

When they sold milk and cookies for a morning snack at school? We got Keebler cookies and the variety changed by day. The lunch lady in the cafeteria? Lunch choices were the purchased lunch (changed daily) and brown bagging it or bringing a lunchbox.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,173
    edited April 2020
    Options

How nasty the school lunches were? I can still picture hamburgers swimming in a liquid topped with yellow grease. When we moved here 35 years ago I became a baker in the school system. I still couldn’t eat what cook made.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,972
    edited April 2020
    Options

The cooks in my elementary school were old Italian grandmothers, so our food was great! Except on Fridays. Since there was not a much of a separation of church and state, and they were all devoted Catholics, we always had fish sticks on Friday!

*edited to add that in those days Catholics weren't allowed to eat meat on Fridays (not being Catholic, I don't know the rational behind that, but I know we all were stuck with the fish sticks, Catholic or not! Loopy)

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Our high school cafeteria ladies also made great food and always called us baby. Sweet memory.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited April 2020
    Options

I lived in a small town and walked to school through high school. Lived close enough to the schools , until high school, that I went home for lunch. Friday's in high school they served cottage cheese as the protein. I had never liked cottage cheese but learned to eat it then. Hadn't thought about that in a long time😊

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh, I remember fish stick Fridays!!! Most of my high school cafeteria food was bad including those dried out fish sticks!!

Remember when male school teachers always had to wear a tie and suit coat and women had to wear dress--all except the gym teachers!!! We girls had to wear dresses and skirts too until high school when we were allowed to wear pantsuits!! No jeans allowed!!

• grammamuses
    grammamuses Member Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2020
    Options

I had to walk 2 miles to a country grade school, IF I walked on the roads. However if I cut across the fields and "over the river and through the woods" it was 1 mile. The "river" was a shallow creek, a log across it and what fun to balance on it and scoot across. No I never fell in. In bitterly cold weather my Dad would hitch up the horses to the sleigh and take me to school and come back to get me. There was no such thing as a snow day off. Yes the teacher had to fire up the wood burning stove. Now sure how she got her car started because ours would not on such cold days. Fast forward to college for nursing,, we lived in the nurses dorm by the hospital and college was 2 miles away. We sometimes had to walk it twice a day. Speaking of food at school.. we brought our lunch in grade school but high school food was very good and in nursing school about as good as it gets. It was not a Catholic hospital but every Friday was meatless. None of the food was prepackaged. Now I an getting hungry.

• grammamuses
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yes I remember the war bonds and the stamps, and much more but I used my war bond to buy a beautiful trombone which I still have. Anyone play in the high school band?

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

I can’t carry a tune in a bucket. DD can. In 7th grade, she, and the rest of the interested band kids, were allowed to take up the bag pipes. It’s a Scottish town. Rather than pipes all the time, you blow the chanter. Or practice your fingering on a pencil. Could always tell the new pipers. Had a pencil in mouth, “playing” it. Much quieter that way. She still plays professionally

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

We had to wear dresses, which couldn't be more than 2 inches above the knees, until I was a senior in high school. Then we were allowed to wear pantsuits. Shortly thereafter the rules were thrown out the window. By the time my sister was a senior, four years later, they could pretty much wear whatever they wanted.

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

remember learning to diagram sentences. Loved that!

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Don't remember liking to diagram sentences, but I did like geometry and going to the library!

• grammamuses
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember practicing cursive writing ?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember actually writing and receiving letters in the mail?

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember when you first saw a mobile phone back in the early 1980s--a big brick sized piece carried in a special bag? What a change from the light little cell phones we carry now!!

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Remember always paying by cash or check at most places and having to have store issues credit cards?

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited April 2020
    Options

Gramma, I played clarinet from 4th grade through college, in high school added oboe for concerts and in college alto 🎷 on the football field. Great memories, and I met my husband in college band.

Anyone else remember driving a stick shift with the gear shift on the steering column?

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

Beaver, I learned to drive a stick shift on my boyfriends 1954 Chevy Belair with the gear shift on the column.

Remember when you could tell every car by its body type......and so many really cool cars!

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

I had a stick shift on the column and remember having to jump out and get under the hood to jiggle the gears sometimes to get it shift from 2nd to 3rd!! Don't miss that car!!!

Remember when you sat in your car on hot vinyl seats in mini skirts!! Oh the pain!!!

• ruthbru
    edited April 2020
    Options

When I was a girl, we could go outside and play all day and nobody had to worry about where we were (unless we weren't home by dinner time!).

And I remember eating all meals as a family, after which we were all expected to help with the cleanup.

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Fins!! 57 Chevy!! 59 Caddy!! Had both. And yes, could handle 3 on the colum, or 3 or 4 on the floor.

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

Anybody remember a Kellogg cereal breakfast club at school? I think we got some sort of Kellogg pin (maybe the "Kellogg rooster") if we completed some chart of having eaten their cereal at breakfast. Can someone remember this more clearly!!!???

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

Packards, Edsel, Studebakers, Nash, Willy

• Yogatyme
    edited April 2020
    Options

I had 2 friends that drove Studebakers in high school and a niece owned the Studebaker home in South Bend, IN

Remember the first Mustang...

• spookiesmom
    edited April 2020
    Options

DH had a 64 1/2 mustang as they were called. Came out mid model year.

• sarahsmilesatme
    sarahsmilesatme Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2020
    Options

My mother’s pressure cooker... we weren’t even allowed in the kitchen when she had that on the stove !

• ceanna
    edited April 2020
    Options

SarahSmiles, that really brought back the remember of the sound of that pressure cooker!! I don't think I ever had the courage to use it as I got older and helped with cooking!

Remember riding an old balloon tire bike down a gravel road!!