Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• Artista928
    Artista928 Member Posts: 1,458
    edited July 2020
    Options

so does fox news show biden ads?

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,302
    edited July 2020
    Options

When one begins to practice simplicity, the ego is deprived of the very strategy by which it sustains itself. Nothing will deflate the ego more effectively than to be recognized for what it is. It lives by pretension. It dies when the mask is torn away and the stark reality is exposed to the gaze of others. Simplicity also avails in braking the tyranny of things. Ostentation, artificiality, ornamentation, pretentious style, luxury--all require things. One requires few things to be one's self, one's age, and one's moral, intellectual, or spiritual stature. What one is does not depend on what one has.

Albert E. Day

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Truth time.

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'BrooklynDad_Defiant! @mmpadellan To those Republican politicians who are "privately disgusted" by trump's behavior: save that bullshit. You are the WORST kind of cowards, the kind who sees someone being attacked in the street and walks away, thinking "someone should call the cops." You are ALL Susan Collins. CALL TO ACTIVISM Do any Republicans have backbones?'

• Artista928
    edited July 2020
    Options
  • exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    edited July 2020
    Options

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1232844?__twi...

Artista, I made your link clickable .

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited July 2020
    Options

Let them babble among themselves. The rest of the country could care less, except when we need a good laugh.

• beaverntx
    beaverntx Member Posts: 2,962
    edited July 2020
    Options

Looks like they provide free speech only for those who say what they want to hear?. Not my definition of free speech!

The Albert E. Day quote could have been written today, even though Day died in 1975. Does sound like a description of a certain person doesn't it!

• Artista928
    edited July 2020
    Options

thanks ex.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Interesting article Artista. Other than total strangers who are like-minded sounds to me like it is just a bunch of people conversing at the corner bar. I guess it is all about personal agenda.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Guess it's official. Trump has spent a whole yr. of the presidency golfing. I'm not surprised -- he thinks he is good at that as well.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'FOR WAS A STRANGER & YOU TEAR GASSED ME. I ASKED FOR ASYLUM & YOU STOLE MY CHILDREN. IFLED VIOLENCE IN MY COUNTRY FROM YOUR DRUG WAR & YOU CALLED ME 'ILLEGAL'. BUT MAYBE THE NEXT TIME EVANGELICALS VOTE THEY'LL READ THE GOSPELS FIRST, INSTEAD OF ELECTING FUCKING CALIGULA. AMEN. JOHN FUGELSANG act.tv'

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,973
    edited July 2020
    Options

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,276
    edited July 2020
    Options

SD Gov. Kristi Noem is truly a moron. Not only is she guaranteeing SD will become the next state for the virus to surge, she is also practically guaranteeing wildfires (look at the trees & visitor centers surrounding the mountain) as in Utah--it took only one spark from one amateur firework to destroy hundreds of acres of woodland & brush. And the ash (containing heavy-metal residue from the dyes) and shell debris will likely contaminate the groundwater. The mayor of Rapid City, the nearest large town and tourist arrival hub, has pleaded with her to at least require masks and enforce social distancing. But NOOOOO....

Effing Trump lickspittle.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Image may contain: 1 person, eyeglasses, text that says 'Idiot Politician of the Day July 2, 2020 Meet Congressman Andy Biggs, a Republican from Arizona. Today, he actually said this: "Dr. Anthony Fauci and Dr. Deborah Birx continue to contradict President Trump... It's time for the Covid-19 task force to be disbanded so that President Trump's message is not mitigated or distorted." 'CAUSE WHO NEEDS EXPERT EPIDEMOLÓGISTS DURING A PANDEMIC WHEN YOU HAVE THE HOST OF 'THE APPRENTICE'! OCCUPY DEMOCRATS'

Sandy, these people are mainly insane -- whatever the reason, though it happens to be Trump right now. This is jaw-dropping since the state of Arizona is in Covid 19 distress at this very moment. In my view -- these are the types of people who should be getting the comeuppance of the virus since they seem so blind to fact, figures and the massive intelligence that is at their fingertips. So eager to be bootlickers no reason seems possible for them and that includes S. Dakota Gov. Noem.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

No photo description available.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

JULY 3, 2020

Kuttner on TAP

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Not if Trump has anything to do with it.

Trump's support in the polls has been collapsing, especially in the suburbs. So Trump has resorted to one of the oldest racist tricks in the book: Blacks are moving in, and it's the Democrats' fault!

In a recent tweet, he ranted:

"At the request of many great Americans who live in the Suburbs, and others, I am studying the AFFH housing regulation that is having a devastating impact on these once thriving Suburban areas," Trump tweeted Tuesday night. "Corrupt Joe Biden wants to make them MUCH WORSE. Not fair to homeowners, I may END!"

The once thriving suburban areas, presumably, are on the skids because you know who have moved in.

There are two problems with this. Trump's HUD Secretary, Ben Carson, has already gutted the Obama fair-housing regulations. And the pace of integration of the suburbs remains glacial. Most lily-white suburbs are still all too lily white.

Indeed, many once integrated neighborhoods are becoming whiter due to rising housing costs and gentrification. So Trump's pitch will fall flat.

Trump's pathetic appeal to crude racism in suburbia is a mark both of his tin ear at this moment of broadening commitment to racial justice—and his utter desperation.

~ ROBERT KUTTNER

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited July 2020
    Options

I headed up a office located in downtown LA. Our office was required to move to Orange County, the home of the John Birch Society. The POCs who worked in my office refused to locate because they didn't want to expose their children to the bigots of OC. I couldn't blame them. Suburbs are staying white in part because of housing costs but also because of bigotry in neighborhoods, schools and stores.

• chisandy
    edited July 2020
    Options

It's getting even worse: latest Drumpf ad (just saw on MSNBC) is a scare tactic against calls to "defund the police." It is a fictional automated answer message saying "due to defunding of the police, 911 is not available. To report a rape, press 1; to report a murder, press 2....your estimated wait time is 5 minutes..." It ends with the message "In Joe Biden's America you won't be safe," and the usual Drumpf boast about having "approved this message."

Will ANYONE who watches MSNBC be stupid & naive enough to be swayed by these ads toward Trump in Nov.? Talk about flushing $$$ down the (gold-plated) toilet. No swing or independent voter will come across MSNBC by accident because I know of no restaurants, bars, or hotel breakfast rooms that play anything but FOX (or a tiny few play CNN),

I can't stomach FOX, but I sincerely doubt the Biden campaign or even Project Lincoln believe that their ads will convince FOXBots.

• chisandy
    edited July 2020
    Options

And I just read a chilling scenario in Newsweek as to how Trump can lose even the EC and still stay in office. Barr, a passionate believer in absolute Presidential power, has already been setting up emergency-declaration powers to prevent vote counting until the Dec. deadline for the EC to "cast" its "votes," in a scenario reminiscent of Philip Roth's & HBO's The Plot Against America. Every swing state he won in 2016 and might lose in 2020, even if they now have Dem. governors, still have GOP-majority state legislatures and high courts--and those could decide to refuse to let their Electors cast their votes come Dec. That would give neither candidate an EC majority, and throw the election to the House. Great, you may say--the 2018 House Blue Wave would mean the Dem majority would crush the GOP, so game over, right? Well, it would be "game over" but not the way we hope...because when the election is decided by the House, it's decided not Representative-by-Representative, but rather state by state--each state's entire delegation gets ONE vote, even worse and less representative than the Senate. And there are more states with GOP Congressional delegations than Democratic ones, thanks to Project Red Map gerrymandering, So that's right: Wyoming gets one vote, California gets one vote. A state with its Senators evenly split can have its Dem. Sen. vote on party lines (just like we saw in the impeachment trial). But even that would not happen in an election decided by the House. (The Veep plot come to life).

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited July 2020
    Options

Hey, Ananda, there's a lot to complain about when discussing Orange County, I would know since I grew up there, but please don't lay the John Birch Society on our doorstep. It was founded in Indianapolis, which, coincidentally, is where the KKK also started.

There may have been chapters there, but it was much more prevalent in Los Angeles, especially with actors like Ronnie Raygun, John Wayne and Charleton Heston. It was even worse in the wealthiest suburbs of Santa Barbara and Pasadena. That was back when Ronnie was our governor in the late sixties.

I grew up in all over Orange County,in the 60's and moved to Irvine in the 70's. If your coworkers were afraid of living in Orange County, then they were sadly misinformed. Due to the farmlands and the Marine Corp. bases, there was a sizable population of POC. A good many of my friends were Hispanic, and a a not inconsequential number were African American. My first husband was Hawaiian Chinese, and went to the same high school in Irvine that I did.

Like I said, lots to complain about regarding the OC, but that's not one of them.

Trish

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

I can barely believe what I'm reading here. This is something in lead balloon territory and should have the Lincoln Project coming up with something for sure. Many of Trump's voters ( from the red states ) are now having New York's experiences and I wonder how they might feel that their guy is just going to let them dangle -- then maybe die.

Then again, Trump was not really doing anything anyway -- in fact he stood in the way a lot with the government outbidding the states for PPE when the states were told it was their responsibility to get it for themselves. Just more of Mr. Nasty doing dirt to the Americanpeople.

Trump To Admit Defeat And Tell America To Learn To Live With The Virus

Trump is going to tell the American people that we just have to live the pandemic he caused, because there is nothing that they can do about it.
    FacebookTwitterRedditStumbleUpon
    Read more »

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited July 2020
    Options

Tryshyla, When we were there, OC and especially Irvine was lily white in the 80s. All the Marine Corps families lived closer to Oceanside. I guess things have changed.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited July 2020
    Options

No. It wasn't. Irvine is my hometown. El Toro Marine base was adjacent to Irvine. Oceanside is more than an hour away, near Camp Pendleton. I went to middle school on base property. Fully half the kids there were either enlisted men's children from Wherry/Namar housing or the children of Irvine company farmworkers.

By the eighties there were hundreds of Chinese and Korean families. Mostly due to the reputation of my high school, University, as being so good academically. And the emergence of UCI as a research University.

It became very Republican through much of OC in the early eighties, but it's never been "Whites only", or overly hostile to people of color.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself.
    - Robert Green Ingersoll

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited July 2020
    Options

The drumps code in his speech at Mt. Rushmore when he repeatedly referred to 'our' heritage was a dog whistle to his white supremacist base. White men rule over people of color.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

I heartily agree. We should never ( and I hope we never, ever do no matter when ) allow any kind of complacency to interfere with our doing as much as possible to make sure people take FULL advantage EVERY time an election happens. And, I do worry that listening to GOOD numbers might be just enough to cause some to think that their vote ( if they don't get out ) won't matter.

Stop Saying Joe Biden is Ahead. He isn't.

July 4, 2020 / John Pavlovitz

Some people haven't learned anything in four years.

One of the most disconcerting trends I see on social media right now, is a continual dissemination of polls, statistics, and trends supposedly showing Joe Biden building an expansive lead over Donald Trump. They're usually proffered by progressives and liberals and often come with a strident sense of presumptive victory in November—and I get a sickening déjà vu whenever they show up in my newsfeed.

We've already seen this movie four years ago and it doesn't end well.

All the way up until Election Day of 2016, Hillary Clinton's victory was a statistical slam dunk. Her losing was a near mathematical impossibility—and yet, here we are.

The numbers weren't just irrelevant, they were likely injurious.

This November holds the promise of a different outcome, due to one critical factor: the desperation of decent people.

Aside from Trump's staggering ineptitude, unprecedented incompetence, and Olympic-level inhumanity (all which may finally be incrementally chipping away at the more reasonable of those who voted for him four years ago), the one weapon we might have this time in our favor is urgency.

Many who slept on the last election, believing it a foregone conclusion—are now alive and awake and engaged because they understand the gravity of the moment for our nation and for the world, because they believe their vote is critical in avoiding a hopeless slide into fascism, because they have enlisted in uphill battle in order to somehow bend the arc of the universe toward justice.

Which is why perpetuating a narrative of Biden's supposed statistical lead is so problematic: it threatens to lull people back to sleep at a time when we need every conscious and lucid soul fully present. The last thing we can afford is an emotional sedative giving people an incentive to ease up or check out or fast forward to a victorious day that may never come.

These Republicans' criminality means that we are always far behind.

Voter suppression, gerrymandering, pushback against mail-in and absentee votings, the elimination of polling sites, and Russian cyber-shennanigans—combined with the understandable embarrassment of people who will vote for Trump but never admit it in a poll—all remove any possibility of a level playing field.

This means that we need numbers great enough to transcend their creative and prolific malfeasance, and the more confident good but normally disengaged people become that their voices aren't required, the more likely they are to once again silence themselves.

This is to say nothing of purity progressives who plan to opt out, vote third party, vote in protest, or write-in a candidate, because the primary has left them with chips so firmly embedded in their shoulders, that they are unable to see the burning forest for the falling trees.

A woman I confronted on social media after defending her amplifying the poll numbers, admitted that, "Yes, it will breed complacency in some, but we need the encouragement."

No, we don't.

We need to fight like hell.
    We need the some who will grow complacent if given a reason, not to do so.
    We need those who were bystanders and conscientious objectors and silent voices in 2016, to feel a sense of desperation so that they find a way to get themselves registered and counted and participating, in what may be the final war for our Republic.

Joe Biden is the only human being standing between America and a mad despot right now and his victory isn't close to a foregone conclusion—in fact, it's highly improbable.

Donald Trump is going to defeat Joe Biden if we don't operate as if every vote is essential, as if we're trailing far behind, as if we personally hold the destiny of democracy in our hands behind the curtain in November 3rd. He is going to defeat Biden if we find ourselves relaxing or letting up or sedating ourselves enough that we allow him to win.

Pay no attention to the polls.
    Ignore the numbers.
    Refuse to amplify overconfidence.

Work harder, give more, speak louder, and spend every bit of yourself to make sure that the disheartened and grieving and angry all feel hopelessly compelled to use their voices and their votes in one collective stand.

If we do that, there will be plenty of time to bask in the reality of an America we can dream of right now but cannot be assured of.

Donald Trump is going to defeat Joe Biden and Democracy and Liberty—but only if we allow him to.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Image may contain: text that says 'Middle Age Riot @middleageriot On July 4, 1776, the United States declared its independence from Great Britain. On November 3, 2020, let's declare our independence from Russia.'

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Looks like someone who had a face lift and it didn't work.

Image may contain: one or more people and text

Actually, Ivana Trump talked him into ? a forehead hair-line lift or something of that ilk. He was steaming because I guess it is or can be painful. Long time back though. His fact has always looked funny to me.

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'There you have it folks, an actual CROCK OF SHIT!'

• illinoislady
    edited July 2020
    Options

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Jesse Adams If you've built a personality around gleefully "offending liberals," here's what need to know: we aren't offended. You our made us cry. You sound like children to us, and we're we' sick of responding over and over to your infuriatingly stupid talking points, we keep doing because people's lives might literally be at stake if the wrong kind of idiocy is allowed to spread too far. You're not erudite debaters "owning the libs." You're the rotten annoying kids kicking the backs of our seats while we're trying to keep the car on the road.'