I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,418

Good to hear from you Taco. Hope people don't take your sign. I think I mentioned that I've never in my life voted based on a sign — maybe just felt good knowing the house owner likely shared most of my political views. Sad that people can't "let it go" over signs. I just can't imagine why anyone would act so childish.

Taking signs is NOT removing someone's vote after all. Sigh!!!!

• illinoislady

When we have painful memories from hurting experiences, we may feel justified in holding on to the resentment. But resentment is corrosive. It doesn't affect the person we feel anger toward, it destroys the host.

Susan L. Taylor

• illinoislady

Another instant creepo from my list.

• illinoislady

Likely an interesting day here in news since the Judge put the latest Jack Smith filings in the public record. FG and lawyers really worked to get it not to happen but as has seemed the case, most of their filings (including the last one trying to avoid JS's filing going public) are repetitious and do not offer anything solid for the Judge to use. This is a long-time strategy that has aided FG through most of his life, but he now has a different opponent - American people through the DOJ and Jack Smith. Judge did point out the frivolous and totally wasted effort in its repetitiveness.

We can hold on and hold out as long as FG and most definitely will. A piece I read said there was 11 key points in the filing which were very indicative of the guilt of what FG did. Not only is he responsible but this is one of the things that gives me so much pause about the Reps. party as a whole. There are some outstanding individuals (like Cheney and Kinzinger and others) but for the most part, in varying degrees, the Reps. party has been power hungry, greedy, and displaying a cold disregard for the machinations FG and they have proposed or carried out to shield and cover themselves and FG. The rule of law doesn't seem to exist for them all the way up to the Supreme Court. It is a heart-breaking thing when I think of all the patriotic appreciative feelings, I've had over the yrs. being a citizen of the US.

So, I'm thinking (sounds like rants in volume took place on Truth Social once FG knew the public record was indeed available to public at large) that there perhaps will be a lot of un-hinged responses going on and his rallies if allowed to have them will be full of the vitriol he so often allows himself.

It has been obvious for so long that he is un-hinged and even though I can understand Reps. deciding someone like FG could be used to their advantage, the fact that so many could not leap across (like Cheney) to understand a bridge too far and far too much danger to continue will always amaze me. Those same people seem incapable of feeling despair and embarrassment and pain over the huge missteps (like 1/6) that have brought them nothing but trouble and recriminations. They rush in to defense, seemingly having become afraid of personal retributions.

So, we shall we, but in cases like this - it will and FG will get worse. Maybe on one hand good for us, but always a lot more work.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Such a liar you can't tolerate the idea of being fact-checked. And possibly your handlers know you get fuzzled when your called out — get into a rant and who knows what idiocy will come out.

• illinoislady

So I guess I get that you people don't have the wisdom, talent and discernment you pretend you have.

• illinoislady

Now that's why we say he is as dumb as a bucket of rocks.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Today's sad world.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Hear, Hear.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585
    edited October 3

My overall impression of Vance is he wants the U.S. ruled by straight white men placed in all positions of power. This is a continuation of what FG wants. It would seem Project 2025 is geared to make this kind of domination happen. Methodically take away all the rights of others who do not fit into their narrowly defined “only correct way” to live.

I want a United States that reflects the diversity of our country. From various articles, I pieced the following together:

President Biden is said to have the most diverse administration in U.S. history with at least 38 officials in the White House who are of racial minorities.

Biden states: “I promised you when I was president, I would have an administration that looked like America. We have more African Americans, we have more women, we have more minorities in our administration than any other administration.”

Additionally, appointments to the federal bench have taken on added importance in recent years as courts have played a greater importance as judges of disputes over hot-button issues like abortion, immigration and the environment

Of Biden’s 205 judicial appointees (so far), nearly two-thirds are women and about two-thirds are people of color. The president’s picks have been ambitious and trailblazing, coming from a range of racial, gender and professional backgrounds. This is the most demographically and professionally diverse nominees who understand the power of the courts and their role within the system of justice

Mr. Biden set a record for the largest number of nominees to the appeals courts who worked as public defenders. More than 40% of those with lifetime appointments served as public defenders or civil rights lawyers, or worked to protect civil and human rights.

For me, diversity is what makes America great. This is the United States I support.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585
    edited October 3
    [article]
    Biden made U.S. courts more diverse.

Six judges discuss why it matters.

Six federal judges from diverse backgrounds discuss the impact of President Biden’s efforts to make the judiciary look more like America.

Tobi Raji/Wa Po Aug 6, 2024

There’s a federal judge in California who, as a teenager kept a newspaper clipping in her sock drawer describing the historic appointment of the first Chinese American justice on the state Supreme Court.

There’s an appeals court judge in the Midwest who heard about Thurgood Marshall’s role arguing in Brown v. Board of Education, and decided that she, too, could be a lawyer when she grew up.

They are among the scores of federal judges from diverse backgrounds nominatedby President Biden during his first 3½ years in office. Of Biden’s 205 judicial appointees, nearly two-thirds are women and about two-thirds are people of color, according to a Washington Post analysis of self-reported race and ethnicity data from the Federal Judicial Center. The president’s picks have been ambitious and trailblazing, coming from a range of racial, gender and professional backgrounds.

Biden’s diversity record on federal judges

left to right: Judge Rita F. Lin, Judge Stephanie Dawkins Davis, Judge Susan K. DeClercq and Judge Jonathan J. C. Grey

Many are firsts: Judge Nancy L. Maldonado, confirmed to the bench on July 8, is the first Hispanic judge to serve on the Chicago-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit; Judge Beth Robinson is the first openly gay woman to serve on any federal appeals court; Judge Nicole G. Berner is the first openly gay judge and first labor lawyer on the Richmond-based U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit; and Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson is the first Black woman to sit on the Supreme Court.

“When I graduated 20 years ago, I don’t even know if I imagined that in my lifetime, I would see a Black woman on the Supreme Court,” said Fatima Goss Graves, president and chief executive of the National Women’s Law Center. “Not because there weren’t highly qualified, extraordinary Black woman attorneys around the country — that was not a new idea. They had long been practicing. It was just that you couldn’t see it.”

Conservatives chafe at using race-conscious practices over colorblind ones to pick the most qualified candidate for any position — criticism that erupted anew with Biden’s departure from the presidential race last month and the emergence of Kamala Harris, the first female, first Black and first Asian American vice president as the likely Democratic nominee.

But retired appeals court judge Timothy K. Lewis pushed back against the suggestion that diversity and merit are diametrically opposed, arguing that the best candidate can’t be found in a sample that isn’t representative of the entire country.

“Whoever it is that says we should take the best of the best is ignorant of the history and the impact of racism and segregation in the United States,” said Lewis, 69, who was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit by President George H.W. Bush in 1992. “I don’t want to hear [that] you should have the best of the best when you haven’t allowed the best to rise to the top because you’ve had doors closed for all of these years. No, thank you.”

Judge Theodore A. McKee of the Philadelphia-based 3rd Circuit, appointed by President Bill Clinton in 1994, said there are times when a judge’s life experience does not allow them to see a certain set of issues in the same way that another would. Now 77 and on senior status, meaning he has a reduced caseload, McKee said he developed an interest in the law after learning about the brutal 1955 murder of 14-year-old Emmett Till.

“I remember when I was very, very young, seeing pictures in Jet Magazine of Emmett Till’s open casket, and then thinking to myself, ‘the law really needs to do something about this. This has got to be illegal,’” McKee said. “I didn’t know anything of the Constitution at the time, but I figured if there is a constitution that I’m pledging allegiance to, it’s got to prevent this kind of stuff.”

To better understand the impact of making the federal judiciary more diverse, The Post interviewed four Biden appointees. They recounted their path to the bench and reflected on the transformation of the federal judiciary to more closely mirror the country. Here is a summary, and video footage, of each interview.

Rita F. Lin, Northern District of California

U.S. District Judge Rita F. Lin, who kept the news article about California Supreme Court Justice Ming Chin in her sock drawer, is deaf in her right ear and partially deaf in the other. Her parents were worried when she said she wanted to go to law school — as immigrants who spoke English as a second language, they did not trust the legal system. Her mother thought Lin’s disability would make a career as a lawyer even more challenging.

“Part of it is coming from [a] background where the court system and the government isn’t as reliable as it is here,” Lin, 46, said. “I think my parents associate the courts and government with corruption.”

But their view changed as their daughter built her career as a private practice lawyer, a federal prosecutor and then a superior court judge.

While in private practice, Lin represented Karen Golinski, a federal employee who challenged the constitutionality of the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act, which allowed states to decline to recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit dismissed the case after the Supreme Court declared in 2013 that Section 3 of DOMA, which defined marriage as a union between one man and one woman, is unconstitutional.

Stephanie Dawkins Davis, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit

Like many of the judges interviewed for this story, Judge Stephanie Dawkins Davis, 57, did not know any lawyers growing up. But she had heard of Thurgood Marshall, who before making history as the first Black Supreme Court justice led the NAACP legal team in Brown v. Board of Education. Davis said Marshall showed her that becoming a lawyer — particularly, a Black lawyer — wasn’t so far-fetched.

It was only much later, after she became a judge, that Davis learned her own relatives — Alfonso and Mary Webb — had sued to end public school segregation in an earlier Kansas case that is considered an important precursor to Brown. They and other Black parents won a ruling from the Kansas Supreme Court that saidBlack children could attend a newly built elementary school that was serving only White children until the nearby, dilapidated school for Black children was rebuilt or improved.

Davis was first nominated to the federal bench in 2019 by President Donald Trump, who appointed nine Black federal judges out of 234 judicial appointments overall. As a district judge in the Eastern District of Michigan, Davis blocked a lawthat made it illegal to hire drivers to transport voters to the polls unless those voters were physically unable to walk. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit overturned her ruling one month before the 2020 presidential election.

Less than two years later, Biden nominated Davis to sit on that appeals court. She is part of the three-judge panel overseeing an appeal from two men convicted of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer (D).

Susan K. DeClercq, Eastern District of Michigan

U.S. District Judge Susan K. DeClercq, 50, was nominated by Biden to fill Davis’s seat on the federal bench in Michigan. Born in South Korea, she is the first federal judge of East Asian descent in the state. She said she takes pride in that status, but also in being the adopted daughter of a disabled woman. She believes that a good lawyer can make a difference in clients’ lives during their most vulnerable moments.

That was the case during her adoptive parents’ years-long divorce, which DeClercq described as being a “very terrible situation” for the family. DeClercq was so inspired by the kindness of her mother’s divorce attorney that she decided to pursue a legal career.

DeClercq spent nearly 20 years at the U.S. attorney’s office for the Eastern District of Michigan as an attorney in the civil division. There, she handled hundreds of defensive litigation and civil rights enforcement cases, including religious, employment and housing discrimination. In November 2022, DeClercq joined the Ford Motor Company, where she investigated complaints of employee misconduct and potential violations of law or the company’s code of conduct.

Jonathan J. C. Grey, Eastern District of Michigan

U.S. District Judge Jonathan J. C. Grey, appointed by Biden in 2023, is one of 120 active Black federal judges in the United States, according to the Federal Judicial Center. Nearly half were appointed by the 46th president. Grey, 42, described the value of having a diverse federal bench, saying that many of the people who have seen him in his judicial robes have reacted in deeply personal terms.

As a child, Grey split time between his family home in Baton Rouge and his grandmothers’ homes on the South Side of Chicago, where he said he learned about the importance of community. He studied chemical engineering at Morehouse College in Atlanta, but his passion for serving others compelled him to switch career paths from science to law.

Grey calls being a federal judge the opportunity of a lifetime and says it is incumbent upon him to make sure that his staff also reflect the diversity of America. To him, the 120 number signifies “progress.”

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,644
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal

My favorite.

• betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • betrayal
  • miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,167

I've been busily writing get-out-the-vote post cards for MomsRising. They're pre-stamped and pre-addressed. All I have to do is write a short (they don't leave much room!) encouraging message to hopefully get more women to the polls.

• miriandra
    miriandra Member Posts: 2,167
    edited October 3

I'm also gathering my things for the New York fashion show this weekend! I'm so excited to see in person some of the fellow AFC breast cancer survivors I've met online. I'll share pictures, but virtual tickets are still available if folks want to watch the stream.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/recovery-on-the-runway-powered-by-break-free-tickets-719368078287

• illinoislady

Loved all the memes — I did not respond on all of them because some of the responses I'd love to have given weren't listed. Do know that I appreciated all of them. They were all so easy and delightful to see. Fell in love with the lipstick on the pig myself.

• illinoislady

Occurred to me this evening as I was busy in the kitchen so I'm not sure where the poll originated, and I have to say I also think in this same poll has stayed virtually the same since shortly after Kamala Harris became our actual candidate with Biden graciously bowing out. In any case FG and Harris are even in the polls, and neither seems to have been capable of getting one point ahead of the other. In every other poll Harris has overtaken FG — not always by much but the numbers have changed.

My point being that I just find this odd that in one poll and one poll only, neither candidate seems able to move the needle. This after Harris being behind and catching up but then neither person is able to get even one point further. I have no idea if these are true results, or if something a bit clever is going on. I'm not intending to lose sleep over it but it happen to come to mind and I've thought off and on ever since about it. Since I was busy in the kitchen I didn't actually get the affected state, but just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else had that sort of thought going on.