Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 5,965
    edited June 2020

Joe Biden’s choice for Vice President is going to be of the utmost importance.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020

DivineMrsM...totally agree with you.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,830
    edited June 2020

I would vote for Biden even if he picked my (deceased) cat for VP!!!!

• ananda8
    ananda8 Member Posts: 1,418
    edited June 2020

Biden could pick Sarah Palin and he would still get my vote...........maybe.

• ajminn3
    ajminn3 Member Posts: 284
    edited June 2020

Just wanted to pop in and say that this thread has brought me so much entertainment. I can’t stop laughing (and I really need that these days!).

ananda8...agreed...would it help nudge your vote if you discovered Palin on The Masked Singer? Enjoy (or be baffled by) this clip Loopy

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 33,633
    edited June 2020

Where oh where do these find these people -- and just like Trump she can say the stupidest things with the straightest of faces. A little Trumpette if I ever saw one.

Image may contain: 2 people, text that says 'Soledad O'Brien @soledadobrien What college is claiming this young lady? Step forward, please. Peter Wade @brooklynmutt. 2h "Aunt Jemima was canceled... She was the picture of the American dream. She was a freed slave who went on to be the face of the pancake syrup." A student at Trump's event Tuesday'

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

Yes Donnie Dolt. We were all looking at the approx. 1/3 full arena with row, after, row, after row of empty blue seats. 2/3rdrds. of the arena had an echo. But woo boy -- something to brag about to make yourself feel like a good boy to yourself. Yep !! You did it -- made a total fool of yourself.

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump WOW! The Trump Rally gives @FoxNews the "LARGEST SATURDAY NIGHT AUDIENCE IN ITS HUSTORY" Isn't it amazing that virtually nobody in the Lamestream Media is reporting this rather major feat! 6:35 PM 22 Jun 20 Twitter for iPhone'

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2020

I'm sure all of us here are all going to vote for Joe regardless of his running mate, or animal, lol. That's not the concern. It's that the right VP can sway those on the fence and possibly those whose support of Trump is wavering and you want the VP pick to alienate as few as possible from those two camps. It’s about casting as wide a net as possible and like Obama says, we can’t be complacent.

• ananda8
    edited June 2020

ajminn3, Ok. Even if he picks Palin, Joe has my vote. 😆

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

Joe will definitely get my vote. I have felt ( since he has been around so long and knows the extreme importance ) that his choices from V.P. on down will be people who will be energetic, dedicated, and willing to do the extreme amt. of talented and very hard work to reverse as much and as many of the horrid situations that we as Americans have faced and are still facing with the orange destruction derby buffoon at the helm. Much needs to be put back, but also many laws need to be shored up in ways that will hopefully eliminate people like Trump even running for the office.

Trump will be walking away from such destruction and many on his side wish more of it. Fortunately, a lot are worried about what has gone on as of late and we could find a number of R's who don't go to vote or who write someone in. Trump is hoping to convince people if he loses that it was a rigged election -- well, he had that trick slipping out of his sleeve in 2016 but it turned out he didn't need it. I don't think in the end it will make a lot of difference. The amt. of fear and lost respect and the damage to the Reps. party will over-ride I think most of that. Bottom line is -- I was going to be for whomever won the Dem. primary for President, but basically I'm glad it is Joe. I do trust that he will look for versatile well-rounded people to have directly under him and all through the Cabinet.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

I pretty much agree but we are stuck with him and his band of misfits for now.

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says '"Unfit to be president? Donald Trump is unfit to be human." CALL TO ACTIVISM -Ana Navarro'

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

I put this on FB just now. I'd like to think some of my relatives especially would drop some of their clown hero worship and really think this over. This man is bent on going against almost all normal human beings to help the Reps. destroy democracy as we know it.

Image may contain: text that says 'TRUMP HAS DONE MORE TO PROTECT DEAD STATUES FROM PROTESTERS THAN He HAS TO PROTECT LIVING AMERICANS FROM A PANDEMIC. RIDIN' WITH BIDEN'

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited June 2020

I think Joe's VP will be Kamala Harris. I'm not just saying this because I really like her (which I do), but the pundits are all saying the same thing.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

I could be fine with her and I'm sure she would help get the right AG in place. Kamala Harris is no nonsense and would I know work really, really hard. I too have admired her.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited June 2020

A lot of people are saying that if she doesn't get the VP job, she would be perfect for AG. I agree, but hope she is VP.

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2020

Pupmom, I didn't know the pundits were saying it, but I agree with you that I think she'll be the VP pick. And for all the right political reasons, experienced, knows her stuff, etc. and at age 55, not too young or too old. But also because she's attractive and will look good next to Biden. Also, easy last name. I was pretty sure “Klobuchar" wasn't going to make the cut and not just because she pulled out saying she wants a woman of color to be the VP candidate. People cast their vote for a candidate for many different reasons, some more superficial than others.

Plus, Harris pulled out of VP contention early citing she didn't have the funds to pursue the nomination. Then she was quick to throw support behind Biden. My opinion is a deal was made that she'd be his likely running mate if she did that. Let's see how it unfolds.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited June 2020

I liked Kamala a lot until she threw Joe under the bus during the debates.

I will also vote for Joe no matter who he picks but I think his choice may help with those that are on the fence.

ETA...what the heck is happening with this site?!!! Posting has been weird.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited June 2020

No candidate for VP, or any office, will be perfect. We all need to put away the purity tests. If we look for someone who has never done or said something we disagreed with, never misspoke, never changed their mind or made an error, then we will never approve of anyone. At least anyone human

• divinemrsm
    edited June 2020

When Lincoln was elected president, he turned around and made some of his strongest rivals members of his cabinet. Obama took a page out of Lincoln's playbook & did the same thing, apparently surprising staunch rival Hillary Clinton when he tapped her for Secretary of State.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,183
    edited June 2020

Definitely enough already with the purity tests! People are pulling down statues of figures who were not racists nor slaveowners, just because a government put them up. In Madison, WI, a statue of a Swedish immigrant ABOLITIONIST (!!!!) was not only pulled down but thrown into Lake Monona, and so was a symbolic statue of a generic figure called "Onward," a monument erected to honor progressivism in the movement's early days. NYC is removing Teddy Roosevelt's statue from the Museum of Natural History because he is on a horse while an African-American and a Native American are flanking him on foot, below (even though their figures are just as tall as his). The statue was commissioned to show his commitment to all races (and he is mounted on a horse and thus higher up not because he is white but because is a President); but revisionist purists are saying it's racist because his figure, mounted on a horse, is likely a deliberate statement that nonwhites are inferior. (Why can't they just alter the statue to put the African-American and Native American on pedestals so they are on the same level as the President)? And every white European who was the first non-indigenous person to set foot on a part of American soil is now being re-cast as a racist genocidal colonizer.

Look, Malcolm Nance (an African-American national security expert and MSNBC analyst who is definitely a liberal--and who adeptly slammed Andrew Sullivan for mischaracterizing BLM as a "terrorist" movement) said it best last Friday night on Real Time with Bill Maher: Confederate monuments must be removed because the Confederacy was the enemy of the United States and Confederate officers were traitors; but Presidents such as Washington and Jefferson, even though they owned slaves (Washington eventually freed his) and were wealthy Virginia planters, were indispensible to founding this country as a democracy. In fact, Nance considers Washington his favorite President, with Lincoln second.*

Have we Democrats learned nothing from our purer-than-thou hyperreaction in support of the "Me Too" movement--e.g., hounding Al Franken out of office even though it was later proven his accusers were Trump supporters paid by his campaign? Remember, "when they go low, we go high" sounds noble, even logical--except the higher we go, the easier it is to get kicked in the nuts by the "low" guys. And it's hard, if not impossible, to govern from the "high road" when the levers of power, and the governed, are out of reach on the ground below.

*Andrew Jackson's statues (wherever they are) are fair game, however: he was not just a slaveowner and racist--practically a Trump with a law degree--but a perpetrator of genocide against the Cherokee Nation. He seized their lands in the eastern US because moneyed whites wanted to develop them for their own ends, and sent them on the Trail of Tears to the Oklahoma Territory--a slo-mo massacre.

• chisandy
    edited June 2020

Bitterly disappointed by the Trump-installed DC Circuit's 2-1 decision ordering the District Ct. judge to accept the DOJ's decision to drop all charges against Flynn. Any law student who's ever taken second-year Constitutional Law, even first-year Federal Procedure, knows that until a District Court (i.e., trial-level) judge has ruled, a Federal Appeals Court does not have jurisdiction. The case is not yet "ripe" for appeal, especially because no petition for appeal was filed. You can't appeal a decision that wasn't rendered!

I see a showdown, because the trial judge can still cite that and ignore that order. Unfortunately, there are no parties with standing to oppose a refusal to dismiss: both the prosecution (DOJ) and defense (Flynn's lawyers) are on the same side. The only opposition is amicus curiae, a non-party "friend of the court" with no standing to do anything but file a brief and hope it's convincing. Each Circuit's Court of Appeals has 9 justices, and if at least 5 of them vote to do so, they can consider the case en banc (i.e., all 9 of them as a full court rather than a 3-justice panel). Alas, if they vote the same way as the 3-justice panel, it ends there: nobody would have standing (except perhaps the trial court judge) to appeal to SCOTUS (which would be unlikely to grant cert); if they overrule their brethren, OTOH, both the DOJ and defense would have standing to appeal (although "ripeness" would still be uncertain).

What scares me more is if SCOTUS rules against Barr on anything, he has sent signals that the Executive Branch needn't obey. He has believed his entire career that a President has all the powers of a monarch--including rewarding his friends and punishing his opponents and even critics. (He has also ordered the DOJ's Antitrust division to start investigating companies critical of Trump).

• ananda8
    edited June 2020

Biden shouldn't pick anyone who is in the Senate representing a state with a Republican governor. I think he should announce both his VP and as much of his cabinet as he can get thoroughly vetted.

• chisandy
    edited June 2020

I agree, Ananda. One of Obama's mistakes was raiding the Senate for his cabinet, leaving several Democratic seats vulnerable to the Tea Party in 2010 and 2014. I believe Biden should name Stacy Abrams (who arguably won more votes than Brian Kemp) or Rep. Val Demings (whose seat would have to be filled by a special election). I just worry that as many African-Americans would be repelled as attracted by Harris: a few months ago during debate season, I watched footage of a focus group of African-American voters who were asked to do a word-association exercise. The panel's conductor asked them "when you hear the name 'Kamala Harris,' what's the first word that comes to mind?" Almost unanimously and practically instantaneously came the answer:"POLICE."

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited June 2020

ChiSandy- I agree that Harris is probably less appealing than a Abrams or Demings pick.

I will vote for Biden even if he picked Satan for a running mate

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

Sandy, I think I read somewhere that even if Flynn were successful in getting off at this time -- if we took the Senate and the WH, a new group could re-arrest Flynn and get him on all the chgs. he owned up to while trying to get deal for himself in this first trial. In other words, freedom for a short while, no pardon, and back to the slammer. Of course, not knowing it would come up I didn't save the article so I could easily have some of this backward.

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

What Steve Schmidt had to say about Trump.

Steve Schmidt, who ran John McCain's 2008 campaign for president: "Donald Trump has been the worst president this country has ever had. And I don't say that hyperbolically. He is. But he is a consequential president. And he has brought this country in three short years to a place of weakness that is simply unimaginable if you were pondering where we are today from the day where Barack Obama left office. And there were a lot of us on that day who were deeply skeptical and very worried about what a Trump presidency would be. But this is a moment of unparalleled national humiliation, of weakness. When you listen to the President, these are the musings of an imbecile. An idiot. And I don't use those words to name call. I use them because they are the precise words of the English language to describe his behavior. His comportment. His actions. We've never seen a level of incompetence, a level of ineptitude so staggering on a daily basis by anybody in the history of the country whose ever been charged with substantial responsibilities."image

• illinoislady
    edited June 2020

Trump's Victory In Flynn Case Expected To Be Short Lived

Legal experts are suggesting that the appeals court decision that ordered the dismissal of the Mike Flynn case is expected to be overturned when the full court reviews the matter.
    FacebookTwitterRedditStumbleUpon
    Read more »

• ananda8
    edited June 2020

I am fighting wishing contagion on Trump and his administration. Perhaps some here are as well. We know that this urge for vindictiveness is actually coming from Trump and should be repelled. I ran across this, "Five Ways of Subduing Hatred" spoken 2500 years ago by the Buddha. It holds up.

""There are these five ways of subduing hatred by which, when hatred arises in a monk, he should wipe it out completely. Which five?

"When one gives birth to hatred for an individual, one should develop good will for that individual. Thus the hatred for that individual should be subdued.

"When one gives birth to hatred for an individual, one should develop compassion for that individual. Thus the hatred for that individual should be subdued.

"When one gives birth to hatred for an individual, one should develop equanimity toward that individual. Thus the hatred for that individual should be subdued.

"When one gives birth to hatred for an individual, one should pay him no mind & pay him no attention. Thus the hatred for that individual should be subdued.

"When one gives birth to hatred for an individual, one should direct one's thoughts to the fact of his being the product of his actions: 'This venerable one is the doer of his actions, heir to his actions, born of his actions, related by his actions, and has his actions as his arbitrator. Whatever action he does, for good or for evil, to that will he fall heir.' Thus the hatred for that individual should be subdued.

"These are five ways of subduing hatred by which, when hatred arises in a monk, he should wipe it out completely."

• ananda8
    edited June 2020

Whoever gets the nomination for VP needs to be a smooth operator, a steel fist in a velvet glove. She needs to be someone who can meet with the richest individuals in America and convince them that they need to accept a substantial tax increase or face overwhelming public uproar. She needs to convince corporations that it is in their interest to accept restoration of regulations that were put in place during Obama and accept that if they don't start bringing strategic jobs home from Asia that they will be facing serious tax consequences.

In other words, the VP needs to be the attack dog for the President. The President needs to restore America's international power and prestige, be a symbol and representative of a strong, reliable leader.

We have a real mess on our hands and we may only have 4 years to fix it in a way that it will withstand additional attacks. The Trump base is not going to change their minds and their minds have been completely corrupted by Trump. They will not give up their desire for an ultraconservative autocrat.

Just some thoughts from someone who isn't sleeping at night because I feel I am in an existential crisis.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,830
    edited June 2020