Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Options

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,548
    Options

Occupy Democrats

13h  · BREAKING: Massachusetts district court judge rules that migrants who were trafficked to Martha's Vineyard by MAGA Governor Ron DeSantis CAN proceed with a case against the charter flight company involved.

And it gets even better....

The judge dismissed just three counts leveled against the company in question, Vertol Systems Co., but said that the eight remaining counts may proceed.

Judge Allison D. Burroughs wrote that the defendants were not "legitimately enforcing any immigration laws."

"Instead, as alleged, they ‘exploit[ed] [Plaintiffs] in a scheme to boost the national profile of Defendant DeSantis and manipulate them for political ends,'" the judge went on.

"Moreover, Plaintiffs’ images were captured and sent to national news media," she added. "Unlike ICE agents legitimately enforcing the country’s immigration laws, … the Court sees no legitimate purpose for rounding up highly vulnerable individuals on false pretenses and publicly injecting them into a divisive national debate."

"Treating vulnerable individuals like Plaintiffs in this way, as alleged and accepted as true for purposes of the motion to dismiss, … is nothing short of extreme, outrageous, uncivilized, intolerable, and stunning," she added.

Crucially, the judge said that the migrants' lawyers sufficiently alleged that the migrants were specifically targeted because they were from South American countries and are "Latinx, and thus made for better props in Defendants’ photo op."

While the judge was forced to dismiss DeSantis himself and other state actors as defendants because her court lacks jurisdiction over them, this is still a massive win.

This ruling means that in the future, companies will think twice about helping Republican politicians with their cruel, anti-migrant PR stunts.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

I think he is very right. I would also add maybe apathetic and lazy.

• illinoislady
    Options

Adult braggadocio with tantrums. Hard to believe such a mis-fit could ever slime his way anywhere near the WH. Dr. Goodall captures the Loon perfectly.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

The chosen one. Not chosen by the Good Lord. I think it was the other one.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,030
    Options

I'm always amazed that Bibles don't burst into flames while Trump is manhanding them!

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    edited April 3
    Options

Love it. Can't wait till it happens.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Aileen Cannon (Source: U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary)© provided by RawStory

Right-wing Judge Aileen Cannon is on "thin ice" in the Mar-a-Lago classified documents case — and special counsel Jack Smith might be about to ask higher court judges to bring the hammer down on her, legal experts Norm Eisen, Danya Perry, and Josh Kolb wrote for CNN on Wednesday.

Cannon, herself a Trump appointee, has been overridden by lower courts multiple times throughout this process, often being rebuked for her misapplication of the law — and her latest controversial move was to propose the jury be instructed to consider the merits of Trump's Presidential Records Act defense to the charges, rather than rule on it herself.

"Cannon is headed for the most trouble she has faced since that 11th Circuit reversed her twice in her original meddling in the government’s pre-indictment investigation," the experts wrote. They acknowledged there are possible explanations for her behavior that doesn't involve bias toward Trump — but "If she does not course-correct, she’s headed for another shellacking by the circuit – and possible removal from the case."

More videos

Regarding Cannon's order to punt the PRA issue to the jury, they wrote, "We have never seen anything like this before in our collective half-century of legal practice. Judges are supposed to decide the law and to order parties accordingly, not invent fanciful alternative realities for everyone to react to. Putting that to the side, though, as Smith’s new response makes crystal clear, Cannon’s order suffered from an even more fundamental problem: Both options rest on badly misconceived assumptions about the law ... presidents are not allowed to designate official records as personal ones, so there is no factual issue for a jury to resolve." And the second scenario would essentially endorse Trump's idea that he automatically declassifies documents — even nuclear secrets and information that could expose spies — simply by taking them.

"If she ultimately embraces the legal interpretation articulated in her proposed scenarios, Smith indicated he would strongly consider immediate appellate review. That shows how seriously Smith views this issue and the fundamental error Cannon would be making," the experts wrote. That's significant, they added, because the 11th Circuit could act to remove her from the case altogether if her decisions create “the appearance of impropriety or a lack of impartiality in the mind of a reasonable member of the public.”

"Ejecting her from the case would be extremely unusual and Smith does not mention seeking it in his papers," they concluded. "But neither does he rule it out, and Cannon’s reasoning on the jury instructions and on exposing witnesses is lawless enough that, unless she reverses course, he may have no other choice."

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    Options

I vote for kicking her ass off the case since she seems to want to stack the deck for the jury to find him not guilty when this is so far from the truth. He stole the documents, played musical chairs with them by moving them from one estate to another, hiding them on his plane when the inspectors were at Mar a Lago and then lying about returning all the documents. To him, they were money and bragging rights. What a poor excuse for a human being.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,159
    Options

Betrayal, I am right there with you!

• illinoislady
    Options

When we are conscious of being part of a wider universe, we can begin to see that what we do matters. Every action we take has a consequence somewhere, whether good or bad. Everything that happens affects a part of the whole body of life. Having this knowledge of being part of something larger may motivate us to contribute to the greater good in whatever ways we can.    -Sallirae Henderson

• illinoislady
    Options

I'm there too, Betrayal and MM. I've heard people saying Cannon is a lousy judge, and others who say she is basically okay. They seem to indicate that it is more just overall lack of experience. Like you ladies, I don't much care either way. She seems to have just enough 'legal' learning to tip the scales heavily in the Loon's favor and she is in fact I think being rather transparent — going on so far as to actually be breaking the law to aid and abet the Loon.

She apparently missed reading about the many before her who are now having a lot of "troubles" due to trying desperately to help the Loon. I refer to Jeffrey Clark, Rudy Giuliani, and John Eastman, just off the top of my head. True — none of the above mentioned are/were judges, but I think that just makes it even worse for her. If she doesn't know exactly what she is doing, then no one does.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • illinoislady
    Options

Dollar signs keep stealing morals, no matter what.

• illinoislady
    Options

A chunk of your infected party are likely getting paid to 'further' the Putin cause.

• illinoislady
    edited April 4
    Options

Hmmm, a little fly in the ointment:

Occupy Democrats

1h  · BREAKING: Donald Trump gets nailed with bad news as New York Attorney General Letitia James pumps the brakes and demands proof that the company covering his $175 million bond is "financially sound."

This is the last thing that Trump needed...

In a new surprise filing with the court, James demanded the proof because she has serious concerns about Knight Specialty Insurance Company, the company underwriting the massive bond.

The filing states that James "hereby takes exception to the sufficiency of the surety" and notes that the company is operating "without a certificate of qualification."

New York law stipulates that such companies show that they're "solvent, responsible and otherwise qualified to make policies or contracts of the kind required."

Knight Specialty Insurance Company operates out of California and so James doesn't have access to the required information. She is demanding that they produce adequate evidence to show that they can cover the amount if Trump loses his appeal.

• illinoislady
    Options

Even Carol Rove can't buy your crap, Loon.

• illinoislady
    Options
  • betrayal
    Options

Love the memes especially the one about IQ, LOL. She's an idiot of the first order and should have her jaw wired shut to prevent the drivel from dribbling out.

• ruthbru
    Options
  • ruthbru
    Options
  • ruthbru
    Options
  • betrayal
    Options

Love the memes, Ruth and second Charlie Brown. The Kennedy one is priceless, too. How did a family known for its intellect skip a generation and only one of that generation?

• illinoislady
    Options

One day, after a drawing exercise, one of my students said in amazement,
    "Every time I draw something I fall in love!"  I wasn't surprised to hear this,
    because I know that when we wake up to the world around us in full form,
    with vivid colors, lines, and shapes, we become filled with awe and wonder.
    It is easy to fall in love with the things we've walked past so many times,
    because we realize that the world is offering itself to us like a lover longing
    for our embrace and recognition.  Receiving the universe in all its diversity
    allows us a new self-appreciation, and coming to a level of self-acceptance
    and self-love prepares us to love the world in return.  When this
    awareness lives at our core, celebration becomes a way of life.

Adriana Diaz