Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,278
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,507

While I will never condone violence, this does seem to be a case of sowing what you reap. His violent rhetoric, and condoning of violence itself (Charlotte, January 6th) had created an atmosphere of hate in this country that permeates public life. Of course, neither he nor his followers will recognize this, and will try to use it to their advantage. Driving the country even further apart.

• illinoislady

As I experience it, appreciation of beauty is access to the soul.  With beauty in our lives, we walk and carry ourselves more lightly and with a different look in our eyes.  To look into the eyes of someone beholding beauty is to look through the windows of the soul.  Anytime we catch a glimpse of soul, beauty is there; anytime we catch our breath and feel "How beautiful!," the soul is present.       -Jean Shinoda Bolen

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 501

My first thought was that it was staged so Trump could emerge as some sort of avenging wounded warrior. I noticed that the news orgs are showing that the shooter pledged money to some sort of Progressive group but is a registered Republican. Someone who supports violence shouldn’t be surprised when it comes back to bite them. Although I’m afraid that it will bite the Dems.

• illinoislady

Ruth, I couldn't agree more. I detest violence and it has never been an answer. As well, I do think Trump and Co. are reaping the years of having sown, one way or the other, some sort of violence always. I remember long ago, in 2015 Trump saying at a rally that he'd like to punch someone in the audience right in the mouth.

I think the accusations started from the sound of what I've read almost immediately to be attempts on our part to rid ourselves of a rival of Pres. Biden's who was getting the better of him. Dis-information at its 'best. The worst part of our ability with an Internet to put out immediate (no matter how far from reality) ideas and statements

I do note that apparently the shooter was a young man of 20 yrs. of age and was in fact a registered Republican. Who knows yet, why. I hope we might finally see some better movements on gun control, but I'm not going to hold my breath. After years of speaking violence all the way from punching someone in the mouth to shooting someone on 5th. Ave. in New York some chickens have roosted. Too soon to know what will be wrought. We (the Democrats) will get massive blame because the media will "look" as hard as they can for it. I hope subscriptions keep falling off and more channels will be turned off. Then again, most of our news is owned by the right wing.

I will say perhaps we can move off the Pres. Biden is too old daily and hourly and un-endingly. There is now something else for a focus. Still, we need truth - not distortions and dis-information from our news sources.

• illinoislady

Someone to the side said it was the best response they had seen so far. I understand. That is all the left has ever gotten.

• illinoislady

So, you don't really have a lot of right in this. You brought it on yourselves and ah, now that it has transpired you have no reason to wonder why.

• illinoislady

It would be great if the other side (rt) would have a lot of second thoughts after this. This sort of thing should be scarce to the nth. degree and that will take a very honest assessment of what allows these things to keep going on. Also, a recognition of how much time it will actually take to accomplish a hopefully major change in outlook.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • ruthbru

David Hogg gives me hope for the future.

• ruthbru

Since Trump was surrounded by the highest security, I guess the shooting puts a dent in their theory that all you need to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun..…

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,576

Ladies, you are knocking it out of the park today with the memes and comments! Jackie, you put some incredible insights into words. Rth, right on with the gun theory!

• ruthbru
  • mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

I had to come back and comment. First, absolutely meaningful memes today! ❤️

Shooter lived one street over from my niece and her husband. They are thankful he was Republican!

As for me, I say the shooter was a “very good person” and Trump is “a loser for getting shot!” Just dishing out the same words he had for wounded Veterans and the woman killed in Charlottesville!

My first response was “he got an ear “boo- boo” but the lives of small children in Connecticut and Texas and countless other lives didn’t matter to Republicans and they continued to promote firearms that NO civilian needs! This won’t change the GOP’s promotion of firearms! Somehow they will spin this to blame the Democrats!

• illinoislady

Hope this will copy and print. Most of you may already sub to this, but in case you don't:

Don't Jump to Conclusions

Violence that mars our political process, like yesterday’s assassination attempt on former President Trump’s life, is horrific and unacceptable. Full stop. Political violence is never the answer. In America, we settle those differences at the polls. That's why the Big Lie and January 6 were wrong and unAmerican. Violence is not the path forward.

But, trying to equate Democrats’ calls to defeat Trump in the election with calls for violence are wrong. They do nothing to take down the temperature in a moment when that is much needed. This is a time to stop, think, and assess. What happened yesterday was profoundly wrong act and should be roundly condemned. But it should not be used to score political points, like Congressman Mike Collins, R-Ga., did. Much like we should condemn the violence, this effort to place blame where it is not due should be rejected too.

The shooter has been identified as 20-year old Thomas Matthew Crooks, of Bethel Park, PA. There has been some reporting that he used a rifle that his father purchased legally and that is reported to be an AK-47, gaining a high ground position overlooking Trump’s rally that he used to fire the shots that killed one person in the crowd, seriously injured two more and left Trump’s ear and face bloodied. Crooks is dead, killed by Secret Service sharpshooters.

No motive has been offered. There are some reports that he was a loner who was bullied in high school, something that has become a hallmark of shootings. Crooks reportedly had no criminal history and little social media presence, unusual for someone of his age. As has been widely reported, he was a registered Republican, but also gave a $15 donation to ActBlue in 2021.

It is unclear what to make of that information just yet. Pennsylvania has closed primaries, which means that only registered party members can participate in the Republican Party primary. Democrats sometimes cross over in primaries to vote for a Republican, but Trump’s last competitor, Nikki Haley, dropped out of the race more than a month before the primary took place. We don’t know if Crooks was a disaffected Republican, a cross over Democratic voter, a lone wolf radicalized to some political purpose, or someone with serious mental health issues and a real or imagined grudge he thought he would satisfy by killing the former president.

It is important to keep those multiple possibilities in mind and understand just how dramatically our understanding of a crime can change as the investigation proceeds. Things are not always what they appear to be, and even the early information here is susceptible of different interpretations. I have worked investigations, like the bombing of a Birmingham abortion clinic by Eric Robert Rudolph in 1998, where the evidence emerges in a nonlinear fashion and as it evolves, understanding of motive can change. So be careful not to get ahead of yourself and draw conclusions too early. Sometimes people are lone wolves acting out political agendas, but John Hinckley Jr. who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981, did it to try and impress actress Jody Foster.

Crooks was reportedly wearing a Demolition Ranch t-shirt. Demolition Ranch is a pro-gun YouTube channel with aggressive firearms and demolition content and millions of subscribers. To give you some idea, the person who runs it posted this on Twitter in May.

Also this.

You get the idea. But again, we don’t know what, if any, connection to the group the shooter had. Its leader disclaimed any conversations with him.

Some have suggested that in one of the videos, you can hear a woman yelling Crooks’ name and possibly asking what he’s doing. That and other information is being carefully considered by investigators, who are determining whether anyone else is involved or knew of Crooks’ plans in advance, whether there is any remaining threat. After a crime like this, the FBI, local U.S. Attorney and other state and federal law-enforcement agencies will run a command center around the clock and give periodic briefings. But don’t expect any quick revelations—they’ll keep a close hold on sensitive information to ensure they are able to investigate fully, without interference.

One issue of concern is how the shooter was able to get into a high position that was so close to where Trump was speaking, which we’re told was outside of the Secret Service’s perimeter. One man who was nearby told a BBC reporter they were trying to alert Secret Service and other law enforcement officer to the man “bear crawling” on the roof with a gun in view.

There are legitimate questions about how the shooter got so close and why agents didn’t act earlier, but again, wait for the facts. Although one map shows how close the rooftop the shooter used to the venue is,

other photos suggest that agents’ view was obstructed by trees. This illustrates why it's important to wait for a full investigation to reveal the facts before rushing to judgment

In this moment, it is important for common sense and civil discourse to prevail. We can be a part of that and we should be, condemning the shooting, rejecting suggestions that it was the fault of Democrats, and encouraging folks around us to wait and see what the evidence is once investigators are able to do their jobs.

We’re in this together,

Joyce

I usually re-size the pictures and or memes but for this article I chose to leave them as they appeared to me.

• illinoislady

Just a note as I jumped on this the minute, I found out that it took place at the Penn. rally. I pretty much felt okay about that mainly because the 'suffered' wound was only a graze and Trump was safely removed from the site. I do still feel for the people hurt or killed. While one should expect a lighted bomb could explode, I would imagine Reps. are like everyone else. We become at times complacent about the danger around us because it tends 99 percent of the time not to happen.

It was always a part of our expectations. What has been a surprise to me is so many of the Trump losses have been secured by Reps. and now we find he has been wounded (maybe) by a Reps. We expected the worst because we were given the worst of Trump from the minute, he officially took office. So, I do sooo hope that there will be reasonable (there have been some that wouldn't play the Trump game) Reps. voices that will help drown out some of what we are likely to hear. I think we are on an uphill climb but I really do believe people know who ALWAYS puts out the call for violence, mayhem and retribution. I hope they are smart enough to draw the logical conclusion to that.

• illinoislady
  • exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,173

Thank you, thank you, thank you for that one, Ruth! The idea of armed teachers is beyond the pale. Interestingly, the parent of a student I once had was also a teacher and she supported the idea of teachers being armed. She just viewed it as another tool to protect her students. We agreed to disagree.

• ruthbru

We all know Biden didn't order a hit on Trump, but wouldn't that be covered under President Immunity as defined by the Supreme Court? Or does that only count if it's Trump doing illegal things?

• ruthbru
  • ruthbru
  • mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

I am so angry! I wish with all my heart that Trump would have been the one to die on Saturday and the firefighter who sounded like a truly good person, had lived!

Aileen Cannon just dismissed the documents case! I don’t see our democracy surviving MAGA mentality! I wonder if there is any justice anymore.

• ruthbru
  • illinoislady

Groundedness is one of the most important components of a satisfied life. Being grounded means having a guiding philosophy — a foundation of personal integrity that outside influences cannot disturb.  Our philosophy contains our values, spiritual faith, personal boundaries, and the causes we support. It reflects our core beliefs about who we are and how we conduct our lives.

Victoria

• illinoislady

Ruth, another happy Reps. hypocrite. Making greed and avarice a household word for themselves almost hourly, as they turn on a dime for what it will get them.

I'm truly disgusted and I hope the 'pick' turns out poorly, which if the above is used well, actually should. Then again, Trump the nominee should turn out quite poorly as well. I can't imagine a VP Vance. I really can't.