Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I say YES. YOU say NO....Numero Tre! Enjoy!

Comments

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,576

I was pretty certain that’d be his pick. Even tho Vance said horrible things about Don in the past, it doesn’t matter. That’s how politics is. I find Vance difficult to look at. But his white male beliefs fit the standard Republican mold.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,172

Sigh…JD Vance is a smart, articulate man who will likely not emulate Mike Pence and the simpering adoring looks he aimed in trump’s direction. He wrote a wonderful book, before he entered politics, called Hillbilly Elegy (pretty sure trump hasn’t read the book nor does he know the meaning of elegy). He talks about growing up in the Ohio/Kentucky region and gives an eloquent explanation of why and how some folks get stuck in a pattern of not achieving any more in life than their parents did and are not really encouraged to do so. My ex husband is from that area and it explained so much about him and his family dynamic, that I finally understood the deep cultural differences that existed in our upbringings. When people in my ex’s town expressed interest in higher education, many parents told them, “Don’t get above you raising.” Meaning don’t do better or aim for anything better than what you were raised with. I, on the other hand, was always encouraged to do well in school and my parents wanted to see us do better! My former in laws called anyone who had more education and more money than them , rich bitches. JD Vance understands that segment of our population well and he is very smart. His turn about on trump is stunning and scary considering his previous statements. This man is the ultimate snake in the grass.

• exbrnxgrl

Camille ,

See my comment above. When I first read Hillbilly Elegy, I felt like I had received the key to understanding my ex and his family. It was a revelation that came too late to save my marriage (though I doubt anything could have) but it was profound. I knew Vance himself held more conservative views but never imagined he would be a trumper.
    BTW, my ex and his family are from the Wilmington/Lebanon are of Ohio.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,611

I did not read Hillbilly Elegy but absolutely hated the movie. I also am not impressed with his intellect so we can agree to disagree on that. He may have risen above that "culture" but has he really escaped it? I would say most likely he could identify with the deplorables that will support him and how to appeal to them.

I am beginning to think that male republicans have to turn in their balls to receive their fealty card. They speak from both sides of their mouth (or with a forked tongue) as did Vance.

Enough said about this turn of events and not a surprise at all.

• exbrnxgrl

Never even knew there was a movie but the book is fabulous for someone like myself who had no exposure nor understanding of this bit of American culture and it was very well written. Much as I can’t stomach him now, I also can’t deny what a good book it was. The book is non-fiction and not great movie material so it’s a bit difficult for me to imagine that it would have been any good. I agree with none of his political positions but he is much more articulate and smarter than Pence, even if he’s using those smarts for negative purposes. I see him, unfortunately, as a greater asset to trump than Pence ever was. I actually see his intelligence and education as a whole new avenue for spreading the hideous maga agenda in a very dangerous way (he’s ex-military too and that worries me, i.e. he could be of the Mike Flynn variety).

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,278

I didn't read Vance's book although I always meant too. I do understand to a degree, but I do think of Vance just as flawed as so many of the other Reps. Here where I live it took place both ways. Many did better than their folks (and some quite a lot better) but some who struggled more in school often would seek the sorts of jobs some of their fathers had. My cousin (we graduated high school the same year) went into the mines to make a living. I did moderately better than my parents, but by no means did I set the world on fire in any way.

Vance seemed to have made a great start, and likely deserved praise for his book, but I do think he deteriorated once some 'sturdy' fame came his way. He became a chip right off the Reps. block.

In some of my reading it sounds like what we should worry about more is the fact that Vance is far smarter than Trump and will play the "Trump" game far better than Trump ever could or would have. To that degree he is definitely a snake in the grass and could end up being a real gift to Reps. He likely wouldn't think twice about dumping Trump for even a slight reason and as we all know there could be plenty of those.

• illinoislady
  • exbrnxgrl

”In some of my reading it sounds like what we should worry about more is the fact that Vance is far smarter than Trump and will play the "Trump" game far better than Trump ever could or would have. To that degree he is definitely a snake in the grass and could end up being a real gift to Reps. He likely wouldn't think twice about dumping Trump for even a slight reason and as we all know there could be plenty of those.” -Illinoislady

That is exactly what I’m thinking. I disagree with him on everything but I would be foolish to not recognize how smart he is. He will be able to deliver the Republican message far more articulately and calmly, and with some of the traditional gravitas that trump lacks. This may just encourage some reps who were beginning to have their doubts about trump to stick with him

• illinoislady

I'm still waiting to hear if it was actually glass shattering from the teleprompter as I read somewhere or an actual bullet. That side is the one who is most likely to use something like that and now (since Trump can't get thru a speech w/o weird stmts.) I'd be inclined to wonder if we will ever really hear for sure.

• illinoislady

I can't say I actually hate anyone, but I'm definitely in the deep, deep dislike category. I try to stay away (not easy for sure) from many negative emotions as they seem more likely to do harm than good.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Definitely don't see it that way.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

And Pres. Biden's age and Trump's dementia.

• illinoislady
  • illinoislady
  • illinoislady

Well said. The millions of lies and subterfuge Trump and Co. uses is always going to cause some 'wonder if'.

• illinoislady

No disrespect meant to the real Donald Duck, I'm sure.

• illinoislady

Trump's favorite meal too.

• illinoislady