Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stop Smoking Support Thread

Some of us will, some of us won't, but it's an ugly beast to try to tackle alone. I think I'd rather have cancer than quit. Sadly, I can't quit cancer. Dunno if I can quit smoking or not, but I just read a study that says smoking (nicotine) interferes with and blocks chemo by 61%.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/nicotine-hinders.html

http://joeoncology.blogspot.com/2006/04/continued-smoking-limits-chemotherapy.html

If I'm gonna have to go through this crap, it darned well better work. I've come to terms with every other aspect of this mess I've been presented with so far. Sometimes with tears, sometimes with humor, sometimes with quiet hugs from hubby. Smoking not so much. I like it. It's my friend, my crutch, my safe harbor in a crazy world. It's killing me. It's time to say good-bye.

My quit date is 1/19/09. My husband will be joining me. Cold turkey for me, patches for him. (I am avoiding more nicotine just as much as I am sugar.) 

Anyone out there care to join us?

Comments

• NervousKnitter
    NervousKnitter Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2009

I am SO in. I just started a smoking cessation class tonight and our quit date is January 27. There are only 3 gals and one is 3 years out from her treatment. It was nice to talk to someone else who still smokes in spite of what we've gone through. I'll take support from any and all sources. Great idea!

Jill

• webwriter
    webwriter Member Posts: 63
    edited January 2009

Welcome NervousKnitter!

Sorry you have to join the group, but boy am I glad you're here! 

Like you, I'll take it wherever I can get it. I ain't skeered of chemo. Being without my crutch is terrifying!

So you're going a week behind me. Got any nails I can bite? Cry

• sftfemme65
    sftfemme65 Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2009

I think its awesome that you guys are going to give it a try!  I was a smoker.  In fact, I was smoking a cig when my doctor called and told me in was cancer.  I hung up the phone, finished my cig, lit another and smoked that.  Then I throw away the pack and never touched another one.  Nov 28, 2007.  I would like to say it was real hard, but for me...it was the easiest thing I did.  I figured if I was going to do everything I could to kick this things ass that had to include giving up smoking.

You guys can do this and believe it or not you will feel better.  I still miss it once in a while but Im glad I quit.

Teresa

• Snowbird
    Snowbird Member Posts: 26
    edited January 2009

Hey there. Just stopping by to give you all some encouragement from a former smoker to let you know that you CAN do it. I did, and although it took some work and some physical and mental gymnastics, you can do it too. FWIW, here are some tips that helped me kick the habit 15 years ago now...

1: Focus on ridding your body of nicotine. Realize that the cravings you'll feel are your body's reaction to the drop in nicotine and, while they can be intense at first, they DO pass and they DO become less intense over time. Once the nicotine is out of your body (3-7 days??? can't remember now), cravings become less frequent and less intense until, gradually, they go away completely.

2. Mentally separate your mind from your body. Let your mind become the "parent", and your body the "child" that must be told "no, you can't have that, even though I know you really really want it and will throw a temper tantrum to try to get it." Then, let your mind wait out your body's "temper tantrum" and, like a child, your body will eventually realize it's not going to get what it wants and will quit throwing those "tantrums"...  It worked for me, anyway!

3. SLOW DEEP BREATHING! It truly works both mentailly and physically to get through a "craving".

4. EXERCISE! It too really helped, both mentally and physically. At times you may feel like your heart rate is high (cravings? anxiety?) and I found that by exercising up to the level I felt my heart rate was at already helped "match" my level of activity to what I was "feeling", and then was able to bring BOTH back down gradually and together. (I was lucky to have a health club/treadmill in my office building).

5. THINK and ACT like a non-smoker. Hang around with non-smokers. Ask for the "non-smoking" section in restaurants (where they still have them). It may sound cruel, but ditch your still smoking friends, at least for a while until you get through and feel you can manage.

6. Don't get discouraged if you fall off the wagon. Most everyone does, but just remember that if you do, it doesn't mean you've become a "smoker" again (unless you want to be, of course).

7. Eventually, I PROMISE, you'll get to a place where you'll feel better, breathe better, smell better (to others, that is!) and won't be tempted to smoke again because the taste does become quite "distasteful". (Yeah, I've had a couple in weak moments (my SIL still smokes), but they've each been really nasty!)

You're doing a good thing for yourself and those around you, those who care for you, and those who'd like to be around you but can't. Hang in there. Carry on. Don't give up. It's worth it! Good luck all.

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

Thanx for the tips, Snowbird!

I'm slowly cutting back this week, tho all hell broke loose this morning and I did a hefty backslide. Tomorrow is another day, right! 

Stocked up on Quart Shaker Jars for water. Gonna need those anyway for chemo. I like lemon juice in my water, so I'm hoping that will kick start the taste buds too. Will pick up some sugar free hard candies too. Between the two that should keep both mouth and hands busy for a bit. 

I'm not so much worried about my body's reaction as my mind. I tend to give in to myself when I'm overwhelmed. You know the old excuse, "I've got enough on my plate. Shouldn't have to go through this too." Yes, I was the kind of kid that searched the house for Christmas presents. Yes, I was the kind of kid that snuck chocolate after every one went to bed. I'm a bad, bad Webbie and I know it. Too bad it's my mind that has both parent and child in it! haha!

sftfemme65, glad to hear it was easy for you. I feel the same way you do about it, but I can't say I've embraced the knowledge. I hope I can be as strong and as dedicated as you have been. Thanx for chiming in! 

• glendag
    glendag Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2009

Good for you!   I quit years ago and it was tough.  The hardest part was the fear of what would happen without my cigarettes - the unknown.  Smoking was so comforting.  I did the deep breathing - and drank everything through a straw.  Also sucked on alot of hard candy.  And I used the patch.  It really help physically - the other stuff was more mental.  Don't give up -- the first couple of days are the hardest.

• lexislove
    lexislove Member Posts: 277
    edited January 2009

This is a good thread.

I started smoking when I was 15. I was never a heavy smoker maybe 5 a day. Since I was 20 I had tried to quit numerous times. 1 month, 7 months but I always ended up starting again.I made a joke to my friend one day that the only way I would stop is if I was told I had cancer.

Well...Sep 14 2007 I was told. Sep 17 2007 I started chemo and quit. I met a 47 year old woman while I was doing my chemo. She was from the Philippines and so nice. Showed me pictures of her children and brought us coffee / tea. I was being treated for breast cancer, her lung cancer. She told me don't ever smoke, I told her I did but quit. She said good. In March 2008, she found out she was not responding to chemo. June 1 2008 she went to hospice. I visited June 3. She asked why me? I cried and held her hand. June 12 2008 shorty after noon she passed.

* Chiet, I miss you thank you for your kind words and wonderful tea*

• nobleanna007
    nobleanna007 Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2009

WebWriter,

I am on board with ya, and will give it my all on the 19th. I have my patches, commit lozengers ( mocha flavor). Smokeless ciggs I thinnk thats it. Oh yeah the duct tape for my mouth, and maybe a new brain thought! LOL. We can do this! I am glad someone started this thread and hopefully more people will come out and join us. Its so hard to admit this nasty habit on this board where so many wonderful women are fighting for their lifes and here I am along with them but still feel the need to put that poisen in my body!! It is crazy. But I feel like I am losing my silent best friend who has always gotten me through those stressful times, and I must now think of that friend as my enemy! But I need to do this not for others who despertly want me to quit but for me and getting my body healthy!

HUGS

Bridget 

• eleanorj
    eleanorj Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2009

webwriter, you can do this! I used to be a heavy smoker, than quit cold turkey. Then started again 1-2 year later just 1 every once in a while, then more and more... When I was diagnosed back in October, I picked up big time, hubby wasn't too happy about it, but I said I would quit the day before I started chemo and would quit for good, I'm obvisly not able to be a social smoker. So I went at it and enjoyed it while it lasted. I started chemo on December 8th, had my last cigarette late on December 7th :) I won't lie, chemo day was rough. I was sitting in that chair panicking over the chemo and ALL I wanted was run out of there and light a cigarette! But I made it through, that night I told my MIL that I couldn't see her, she's a heavy smoker and I knew better. Hubby said I didn't pick a good day, he's probably right, but I had picked it and I was going to stick by it. No patch or anything. I did it, you can do it :)

You've got 5 days, enjoy it while you can then ditch it. Good luck.

Didn't know about those studies, wow!

• babyc
    babyc Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2009

Hello all, aren't we a group....  I had promised myself that I would quit the first day of chemo which was this past Mon. (1/12).  As a smoker for 40 years, I think that was a little naive.  My biggest fear during chemo is the development of mouth ulcers, etc. from the chemo.  I've been a 1/2 pack smoker for a number of years; so far I've been doing about three a day.  Stress and not smoking:  not a good combo.  Best of luck to us all!

• NancyNJ
    NancyNJ Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2009

I am coming up on two years February 6th. I had auricular therapy done.....ear zapping??......it is a very low level electrical charge done to the outer ear based in the old acupuncture theories and you don't feel a thing. I smoked for over 30 years and went to the appointment with absolutely no intentions of quitting. My husband had made the appointment. I've never had another cigarette and never wanted one. Don't know how or why it worked and don't care. I do remember saying though.....well now that I stopped smoking watch I'll get cancer. 

• bee5467
    bee5467 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2009

Webbie -- Such a cool thread!  You Go, Girl!  And all you sweet sweet ladies.  You CAN do it!!! I smoked for about 30+- years . . . the last year less that 1/2 pack a day.  I thought that was just great!  And it was really, but I was still freakin' smoking!!!  

I quit Christmas Eve day, 2007.  You know why??? Because my Mast. was going to be Jan. 18, 2008 at an absolutely no smoking hospital.  I could just picture myself in a hospital gown, with a coat over, with my IV crap on a stand, standing out in the parking lot of this hospital, with 10-15 degrees, with a 15 mph wind, trying to light a cigarette. (And it turned out we had snow, as well!!!)

I chose Chantix.  I knew if I took it for 10 days, the nicotine would be totally out of my system, and the behavioral part was all that would be left.  After so many years, that was no small feat. I have to say, Chanatix comes sometimes with bad dreams.  That's the reason I stopped using it after 10 days.  (I had tried other stuff many times.  But this time I was motivated to the enth degree.  There was no way I would be standing outside the hospital, going through all the really scarey stuff trying to get rid of my breast cancer, and have a cig.) 

So today I'm all done with it, thank God.  Even with all the stress and fear coming home, I just was so happy I had for 2 weeks stayed away from the freakin' stuff.  Just so you guys know, I'm 64.  Started smoking when I was 14, and quit twice.  Once for 5 years, and another time for 7. Every time, I went back because of traumatic family stuff.  I am so done now.  Every once in a while, I'll announce, "This is the time when I would have really loved (past tense) a cigarette!"  And everybody give me a big hug, and I get lots of "You Go Girl!" It happens less and less every month.  Hardly ever now.

For all of you dear ladies . . . What you will go through will make you such a strong woman.  You will learn things that will positively impact your lives forever.  You all will survive because you are strong, seek resources, and are determined to do whatever you can to lick this crap.  

So go do something else really, really wonderful for yourselves. Quit those things, and take the money and time you used to spend there -- and get yourself really special things you've always wanted, and take the time for you.  Whether it's time with children, grands, or by the sea . . . Take the time you will now gain to spoil your own sweet self!!!  

07508125 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2009

I quit smoking on Nov. 10, 2008.  My doctor called me on Nov. 11 to inform me that i had breast cancer.  It was hard enough to here that you have breast cancer I could not handle a doctor calling to tell me that I had lung cancer. While I was going through the pre op for surgery(the xray blood work ect) I was petrified that a doctor was going to call and say that I had lung cancer.  That was enough for me.  I loved to smoke.  That was my release but not anymore.  There are worst thing than having to give up cigs.  Having breast cancer may have saved my life that is the way i look at it anyway.

Hange in there you can do it.Tongue out   

• nobleanna007
    edited January 2009

Thanks Everyone,

I know I do and I am sure the others appreciate your kind words. I am ready I need to go in to my new PS Next Thursday and say I have quit!!!! That is my motivation. I have tried chantrix once and believe it or not I smoked right through the bad taste but it may be diffrent this time. I am going to my PCP today and will talk to him. The patches did work really well for me I quit before so I have them. Its weird how diffrent things help diffrent people. I am wondering if I am suppose to take chantrix while still in TX  I know they made me give up meletonin which totally worked for the sleep issues. But I am only on Herceptin, Tomixfen right now. I will ask. If the patches don't work I will still get the prescription for chantix also.

Thanks so much to you all and I know some will look down on us but we are human and instead of grapping a big piece of cake for stress we grap a awful cigg. I know its disgusting and I am disgusted with myself know needs to tell me I already feel it. Not that anyone has.

HUGS-BRidget

• pinoideae
    pinoideae Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2009

I quit smoking May 15/07....for good this time.  I have quit before and started smoking again.  I quit cold turkey last time, and promised myself I would never put myself through that again.  Quitting smoking can be done, and life goes on.  If I could quit, anyone can quit.

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

1.5 days and counting! How is everyone doing? Ready?

I'm drinking a ton of water, and eating tons of fresh veggies and fruit. I want to give my body a jump start in cleaning out the yukk and giving me a fresh start on Monday. I can't believe it's coming so fast. 

But I'm glad. I'm scared, but I'm glad. It's time. 

Thanx for all the amazing support and success stories ya'll. 

I can do this. WE can do this. 

--scurries off to chain smoke some more, haha!

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited January 2009

Hi...I need all of your help...I have to stop smoking....I have my first grandbaby due on March 22 and I want to quit for her!!! I can't have her smelling smoke on me and I can't dare smoke around her....I was supposed to quit 2 weeks ago with a coworker but I keep failing. The longest I go is during the day. I have to go back and read this thread ,then I will be back to join you...maybe this was where the support was the whole time...I should have known to come here....lol

Hugs and prayers,

Candie

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

Hey Candie! Just wanted to welcome you to the "gotta do it, even tho it sux" thread! Have you picked a date yet? Let us know! We'll be behind you all the way! WE CAN BEAT THIS!!!!!

Keep us posted! I'll be thinking of you too!

• zap
    zap Member Posts: 1,850
    edited January 2009

Hi:

I am breastcancer survivor, a former smoker, and your new encourager.  I quite smoking many years ago (I was 35, I am now 60) and it was the HARDEST thing Ihave ever done.  I was addicted to nicotene. I was hard core smoker (started at 16, had a cigarette within two minutes of awaking in the morning, and I oculd not imagine my life without cigarettes.  I decided to quit because I was coughing so terriby with the flu. I understood what lung cancer would be like. 

This is what motivated me to stay away  from cigs:

1. I had a husband and two kids.

2. I did not want to die of any cancer and have my husband/girls blame my death on cigs.

3. I did not want to gasp for breath before my loved ones.

4.  I did not wnat to spend money on things that would kill me.

5.I  no longer wanted to leave my house to smoke a cigarette. 

6. I was just damned tired of needing a cigarette.

7.  I was embarrassed when peoplel looked at me like I was a loser because I smoked.

I sure hope you can do this.  I know how hard it is. 

It took 35 days to lose the horrid craving.    I gained some weight.  I sucked on so many lemon drops, but I finally found I could getthrough a day without needing a cig. I kept saying to myself, "I know you need a cigarette, but you cannot have one...EVER!" Good luck ladies!

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

Great list Zap! Thanx!

I just had my last morning cigarette. (Yup, within two minutes of waking up.)  I can't believe it's the last one. But it is. It has to be. For all the reasons listed above and that 61% I can't get out of my head. 61%--61%--61%--61%...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2009

Three things helped me stay quit.

1. Patch/gum. I figured that dealing with physical addiction AND mental dependency was a double whammy. Patch/gum helps take care of the physical, so I could concentrate on the mental battle.

2. When I wanted a cigarette, I would say to myself: I want a cigarette, but I CHOOSE not to have one right now. Don't try to tell yourself "I don't want a cigarette." That gives the cigarette the power. If you acknowledge the desire but assert your ability to CHOOSE not to smoke it, you give the power back to YOU, where it belongs.

3. I repeated to myself as many times per day as I needed to: whether or not I smoke the cigarette that I want to smoke right now, it will not be enough. It will not make me not want to smoke again. So what is the point of smoking it?

Good luck to all you ladies. You are fighting cancer and THAT is a battle. Beating cigarettes, you can do this.

I was surprised, truly, how not hard it was to quit, after smoking 1-2 packs a day for 25 years. I had delayed the attempt for so long because it was impossible for me to quit when I tried in my 20s. Well by the time I was 40, so much life had happened, and I found so much strength during those years, that I was easily stronger than the addiction.

I bet you all are too.

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

I'm about to run up to the store and purchase my very last pack. The last one. I can't believe it!

Thank you so much for all the great tips. Got Green Tea gum yesterday at Walmart on an impulse. I don't normally do gum, but what the heck! Hubster will do the patch, but I can't afford to. It's the nicotine in the smokes that interferes with chemo. 61%.... 61% ....61%

• Firni
    Firni Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2009

Hi ladies,

I too was a smoker.  For a long time.  I was told I had BC on 9-9-08.  I quit 10-1-08.  My PS wouldn't do recon on a smoker because smokers don't heal well and they have bad circulatory systems.  Period.  He is one of the best here and I really wanted him to do mine.  I started taking Welbutrin about a year ago for hot flashes.  Welbutrin really helps with quitting smoking too so  I was able to just stop without nicotine replacement. PS told me patches and gum and lozenges do just as much damage to your circulatory system as smoking.  So I couldn't do any of those either.   Really, I think I just wanted something more than the cigarettes.  I knew if I cheated I would just be cheating myself.   I had my surgery 30 days after I quit.  Haven't started again.

Webwriter, that 61% is even more motivation to not start again!  Wow. 

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

Okay! Here we go!

I just smoked my last cigarette. Oh my. Oh my. Oh my.

61%... 61%...

I can do this. I can do this! I CAN DO THIS!!!!

• Lories
    Lories Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2009

ok webby,

as a former smoker I can tell you, you need to have a mindset of how absolutely disgusting smoking is

it stinks and when you smoke, you stink - your hair, your clothes, your house, well you don't want your baby to smell that ishta smoky smelly air.

You can do it. 

Just think how healthy you will feel without that smoky goop clogging up your lungs and shrinking your veins. 

You can do this!!!!!!

• nobleanna007
    edited January 2009

GOOD-LUCK WEBBIE!!!!!!

We are all so proud of you and come and vent if you feel the need, its the hardest day!!!!!!!

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

61%....61%....

Little Monkey is down for nap, which means I am out in my shop. The ONLY place on the premesis that has allowed smoking for the past four years. It smells heavenly out here, haha!

But I made it through a morning of work etc. without breaking. It longer than I've ever gone before, so I'm feelin' pretty good. 

Getting sick of watermelon candy and green tea gum tho! hahahaha!

DH just dropped me a line from his office. So far, he's makin' it too. WOOT! 

• nobleanna007
    edited January 2009

GOOD-JOB WEBBIE!!!!

I am so proud of you!!! going to the place where brings those feelings of smoking back and you did not do it!!! Good for you!!!!

Hugs -Bridget

• webwriter
    edited January 2009

Yet! The night is far from over, hahahahaha!

It's getting worse as the night wears on. The usual habit is put Monkey to bed, run for the shop, where we both light up, kick back in our office chairs and catch up on the day.

I'm alone, eating candy. He's in the house glued to the tube, too afraid to risk the inflammatory fumes out here...he's got a point, but then my SUPPORT is out here!!! AGGGGG~!

Who planned this nightmare so well anyway?

After dinner smoke? Nope. Kid down smoke? Nope. Chain smoke while trading horror stories with DH? Not yeeeeeet! LOL!

61%...61%...

• NervousKnitter
    NervousKnitter Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2009

Keep it up, Webwriter! I'm counting on you! You can do this!!