Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stop Smoking Support Thread

Options

Comments

• pinkshortcake
    pinkshortcake Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

I was a smoker up until the day of my bilateral mastectomy.  Wasn't sure if the 4 day hospital stay was going to be enough to get me to quit, but it did!  Believe me...I still had the cravings, but was able to fight them off with lollypops..lol.  For me, it was the hand to mouth repetition with the cigarettes, so I substituted them with lollypops.  You can do it!  And you have to really want it!!  I wish you all the best of luck!!Kiss

• Janzin
    Janzin Member Posts: 491
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well......haven't smoked yet. Got past my favorite cig of the day, my morning coffee. Tore up the pack that was left. Good thing as I can hear myself talking myself back into smoking. I have great arguments with myself such as, "I can always start tomorrow." That same argument cost me 40lbs, but it sounded good at the time.

I hope I can make it, I never made it through a whole day on my own since I started back up. Amazing, when it hits me at times, it is a strong pull. I remember my friend gave me a coffee cup with some lady holding on to a meter outside of chocolate store, she was sideways because she was getting sucked in. Thankfully not all the triggers are that bad!

Well off to make healthy finger foods.

Might check in later today. AHHHHHHHHHH!
  • webwriter
    webwriter Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hang in there Janzin! You can DO this.

Those arguments with myself (why do I always let myself outsmart myself?) are the hardest part for me. I am just lousy at them! I never win. Never! ;)

But it does get easier. I have to keep slapping myself with reality and yelling "NO DEAL!" each time I try to bend my will, but it IS getting better.

I also used another half step suggested here. Now if I simply CANNOT win, I don't smoke the whole thing just 'cause it's lit. I have yet to make it another 24 hours beyond the first. I wish I'd hung onto that.

So when you're about to break, remember how much harder I made it on myself by giving up those first few smoke free hours. 

Hang onto them. 

Starting over SUX!!!

((hugs))

• nobleanna007
    nobleanna007 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2009
    Options

I have to say a HUGE CONGATS to you girls!!!!! Keep the good work up.

Janzin- I know about the coffe thing, that will be a hard one to break!!!! You did it though!!!

NervouKnitter- How are you doing? even though they say the first days are the hardest for me it was day 4-5. So hoping your hanging on!!!!

Webbie- Don't beat yourself up you will quit and cutting back like you have is awsome!!!!

Me- Not so good I am blaming it on the upcoming scans tommorrow!!!! UGH!!!!!!

Hugs-Bridget

• NervousKnitter
    NervousKnitter Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks, Bridget! I still say "GREAT" to all of us, even if it's just being aware that we're lighting up. (I haven't--made it through day 5 but have to get away from the computer as that makes me want one!!). I spent the day working in the yard and did lots of deep, deep breathing without coughing. Now that was nice!

Webwriter, my thoughts are with you and I hope things are okay. Janzin, hope your triggers were little ones. Bridget, best of luck with the scans tomorrow. Waiting is so dang hard on nerves.

One thing that has helped me--if you think you want a smoke clean something that has been affected by the cig smoke--light fixture, phone, whatever. It's nasty. Great reminder of what NOT to do anymore.

Taking it one hour at a time and sending all positive thoughts--

Jill

• bee5467
    bee5467 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2009
    Options

Webbie --

Talk to your Onc. about the Decatron.  When I finally realized that was the reason I was staying up all night making to-do lists, rearranging the whole house, throwing away half the stuff that was in it, and then making more to-do lists, cleaning everything I could see,, rearranging husband, two dogs, and everything OUTside the house.

I finally figured out this was due to the Decatron, but not til just before the 3rd treatment, darn it. I told the Onco that I would end up divorced and at the bottom of a bridge if he did not reduce the dosage.  He said that the Decatron stuff was to help lessen bad reactions, and I had tolerated everything very well.  

He reduced it from two 2x/day to 1/2x day for three days.  That a total of 12 to 6 for the 3 days.l  SO I was sane .  Don't do it without your doctor's input.  But I was very relieved that I could get that stuff way down.  Jeez!

It seems to me that anything can become way C/O with that stuff.  Talk to your doctor.  Hugs to you and all the ladies here. 

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well I would of loved to make you all proud of me but I had 2 cigs after 6:00pm yesterday. It's like Pinkshortcake said, you have to really want it and there is a part of me who doesn't want to quit. I wanted to quit on my own terms instead of feeling like I have to because of the BC. But then again I probably would of never tried to quit.

Your so right Webbie, it's hard to start all over again. Your post kept me going another 2 hours. I am proud of you! You have got a lot of days in and hours too.

It's amazing the quit days or the cut down days we do get in with all the stuff we have to go through with the BC and life too. So much to process not just physically but emotionally. I have a bit of depression that most people won't see as I put on a smile and crack some jokes. Today I feel hopeless with my cigs. I see my chemo Dr this thursday to discuss the next step, my biopsy came out clean so there is a small chance I won't have to go through chemo. If I am struggling now, I don't think I could handle the Decatron well. I am going to make an appointment with my GP to see if I can get Chantix.

Good luck with your scans Nobleanna! I am there for you!!

Congrats on your over 5 days Nervousknitter. Keep up the great work, wish I was there with you on the quitting. 5 days is amazing!!

Eating humble pie,
    Janet
  • Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Well I am back to smoking. I have a physical Friday and will ask for Chantix. All the stress and fears with BC, my business, is a bit much for me. Had a hard time sleeping last night thinking about work and if my business will work out. Being my own boss I have to self motivate myself but the last year and a half has been hard with a divorce and hip surgeries, lost a lot of work hours to process all this crap. Now going to lose more hours to recover from BC and mentally and emotionally I am just not there. I tell myself there is plenty of time to work on things but it still bothers me. I feel like I am at the bottom of the Charles Maslow's pyramid.

I know I would feel much better if I could quit cigs, one less thing to deal with. But it sure helps to comfort me during these hard times. My energy is low and it is hard to make myself work as I have a few deadlines this week, deal with BC and trying to quit cigs is hard.

Well all I can do is suit up and try and I know I will get there eventually.

Wishing all of you well and a great recovery! We will all make it if we keep trying!
  • nobleanna007
    nobleanna007 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hello all,

I just got back from Portland and getting my testing and the results back. DRUM ROLL!!!

NED on everything!! Phew what a relief, my bloodpressure was so high that day. I am so excited CANCER FREE!!!! Now to keep it that way.

NervousKnitter- WOW!!!!! You are Awsome I am so proud of you!!!! How are you feeling with it all?

Janzin- Don't beat your self up to much about this we will do it together. I am getting my script for Chantix tommorrow. I have NO more excuses and I need to do this for myself. So when your ready lets do it I am with ya!!!!!

Webbie- How are you we miss you!!

And to all our supporters THANK-YOU!!!! And any new ones going to join this train??????

HUGS-Bridget

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Good news on your cancer free Nobleanna! I am getting Chantix too, see the Dr on friday. Need all the help that I can get, really struggling with this.

Hope your doing well Nervousknitter, keep up the good work. Let us know how your doing.

Webbie, hope you doing good too. How is your chemo doing? Hope it is going well. I find out today what is in store for me, hopefully it is good news.

All this recovery is a pain in the butt, feel like life is on hold, I miss salsa dancing, hiking and working at my full potential. Now that I get new boobs, trying to figure out if I want a C cup or the D cup I had before. Thinking I will go smaller this time around, more freedom! And when I quit smoking, my dancing and hiking will be that much better, good thing because food will be that much better, lol.

Love to hear from you all, your posts keep me going!

Best wishes and thanks for being there.

• flfish
    flfish Member Posts: 309
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good luck with the Chantix ladies.  I tried that a few months ago, but I got terrible headaches from the drug. Although, I know of quite a few people who used Chantix and it helped them immensely. So, I went cold turkey 5 weeks ago.  Ugh, like we don't have enough stress but now adding quitting smoking to the pile.  I wish you all the best of luck.  I remind myself that it takes quitting 5 times on average for it to "stick".  I am hoping that this time is the time it sticks, but if it doesn't, I will just quit again.  It does get easier every day, but I am wondering how long it takes before the cravings go away?  

• jude14
    jude14 Member Posts: 29
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Keep on trying all of you.  I managed to quit after smoking for 30+ years....I tried over the years the patches and pills and tapering off and for me I found the best way was cold turkey.  My husband still smokes and I smell it all the time and never realized h ow bad it smells to a non smoker ,but I made up my mind the last time and pulled it off.  It has been 4 years this month since I had a cigarettee.  Of course I gained alot of weight when I quit but then I managed to loose all the weight and was doing fine and felt great and I think it made my recovery from the breast cancer easier beings I was not smoking.  I have faith in all of  you who are trying and it is going to be hard very hard to do but if you make up your mind your will power will get you thru the stop thing.  Take it a day at a time.  I chewed on stir sticks (straws) and suckers and CHEETOS....lol  Good luck to all of you and I want you to know it can be done and you will succeed.......JudeWink
  • jancie
    jancie Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Ya'll!  I am joining this group!

I am 48 hours from a smoke now.  I didn't want to join earlier because I have always felt like a loser trying to quit smoking.  I have smoked for 30 years - about 15 cigarettes a day.  Last 10 days I cut it down to 5 smokes a day.  I also started the Chantrix.  I quit for 24 hours last week and then lit one up.  The Chantrix made the cigarette taste awful but I didn't put it out and smoked again for another 4 or 5 days.  I actually quit taking the Chantrix, well I didn't really quit - I forgot to take it a couple of nights but I was so high on pain meds at the time I was forgetting everything.

Ok, the subject of pain meds was brought up and how it affected smoking.  With me taking Vicodin would make me nauseated if I smoked.  I would even do that partial throw up thing (don't know what to call it) and yet I wouldn't put my cigarette out.  I would get dizzy and yet still smoked.

I figured if I could take a wonder pill that would make me really throw up anytime I took a puff on a cigarette I would be fine.  I also thought that a good idea was to be put in the hospital for 2 weeks chained to a hospital bed would help me quit.

I have tried quitting 7 times in the past 30 years.  I failed each and every time.  I tried the gum, patch, hypnosis (worked the best).  I tried the patch again twice within the last 5 years and still smoke with the patch on.  I found out that with me it wasn't so much the nicotine withdrawal as I was so emotionally dependent on those buggars.  They have always been my crutch, my best friend so Webwriter I know exactly how you feel and how difficult it is for you right now.

I was always told if I could get through day 5 I would be ok - I would get to day 7 to 10 and start up again and it was always because of some turmoil that hit me, some really stressful event and I would pick up my best friend and smoke her and would feel emotionally better if though I felt like a loser, my friend was more important to me than my feelings of failing. 

Chantrix - I brought my prescription with me when I spoke to my oncologist at Huntsman Cancer Institute and told him I wanted to take Chantrix but I didn't want the Chantrix to delay getting chemo treatment.  He told me it was ok to take Chantrix and it would not affect chemo treatment.

I found out that if I take it when I wake up in the morning FIRST THING that it really does help.  That might be my 6 am wake up and pee moment and go back to bed until 8 am but by default I learned to take it at 6 am when I first wake up.

I am also taking it again around 5:00 pm at night before I start cooking dinner.  I found out that helped a lot because I always wanted that after meal time smoke.  I was also one of those that went outside within 2 minutes of waking up to have a smoke.

Coffee and alcohol are triggers for me along with eating.  I quit drinking 2 weeks ago - no biggie I was one of those that drank 1-2 drinks per week.  Coffee is another thing because I am a 8 to 10 cup coffee drinker daily.  If I don't drink coffee I get a massive headache by noon due to lack of cafeine that I can only get rid of by taking pain meds.  The headaches get so bad that taking any type of Tylenol, etc. do not work.

This morning I had 2 cups of coffee and switched over to water with a dash of lemon.  Like you Webwriter, that is the only way I can drink water.

I wanted so bad to get in my car yesterday and run to the nearest store and get cigarettes but I didn't.  I also know if there is even ONE cigarette in my house then I will find some excuse in my head to go ahead and smoke it.  MUST NOT DRIVE, MUST NOT DRIVE, MUST NOT DRIVE!

61%, 61%, 61% - I had no clue about this Webwriter and boy is it an incentive to quit as I start chemo in less than 2 weeks.

Ya'll will hear a lot from me because the longer I stay on the computer in my basement the longer chance I have from getting in my car to go to the store to get a pack!

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

One other thing that helped me last night was to take 10 mg Valium around 8 pm - that took the anxiety away.  I wish I could just stay on Valium 24/7 for a couple of weeks but I can't drive with it in my system so I am determined that each day that I am staying home all day or in early for the evening I will pop a valium to help.

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

HELP!  I am having nicotine cravings!  Not sure if it is due to the stress of having to go to the dentist in our hour to have a crown fixed and a new filling or because I am still in that phase of by now I would have had 3 cigarettes for the day.  It is 12:30 pm my time.  Deep breaths, Deep Breaths.

I don't want to drive but I have to drive.  I will pass by so many stores that sell smokes!  This really sucks!  I know....can't buy that pack!  Deep Breaths!  Ok, now I feel a little bit better.

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good to hear from you Fifish, Jude13 and Janice!  Love to hear ex-smokers share and welcome newcomers in our fight to win this horrible habit.

Janice you are on the right path! And your not a loser because of smoking. The losers are the ones who make the dam things! My adoptive parents told me that the cigs now are more addicting now then way back then. Some brands actually cut holes in your throat so you can absorb the nicotine faster which helps branding and profit. I started smoking when it was considered more cool, Eric Clapton also made cocaine cool and I was a dumb teenager who thought she was cool too. Whatever reasons had you start, the good thing is that you are trying and we are here for you. And your cool to want to kick this addiction. Write as much as you need, and share your story as it helps us too.

Just got back from my first appointment with the chemo Dr, not sure what to call him. He told me that I do not need to go through chemo but they will run one more test on my last surgery just to make sure. Now there is a part of me that is saying, "See, it's not so bad so why quit." Your posts help strengthen my resolve to kick this habit. Will get chantix Friday and make another quit day, I am with ya Nobleanne!

Things that help strengthen my resolve.
    1. Quitting not only helps me, but my friends, family and other nonsmokers. I hope that it helps the viewers and participants here too!
    2. For better health and to live a full life with fun activities like skiing, hiking, dancing and to be ready for whatever life throws me.
    3. Save money!!!
    4. Freedom! I don't have to think about or plan for my next fix.
    5. I get to keep my teeth, lol.

What strengthens your resolve to quit????

• anniemar53
    anniemar53 Member Posts: 10
    edited February 2009
    Options

I feel like Janice was writing my own story of all the times I've quit and failed and all the stop aids I've used. I have smoked for over 30 yrs and I just have to admit that I really enjoy it. I know that sounds terrible but I like to smoke even though I do know how bad it is on my health. So I've been trying to quit again and it is really hard. It's just as much mental as physical with me. I've read many good tips here and will keep on trying. I know that I have to make myself believe that I don't like them. That sounds crazy.

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

I told my dentist today I hadn't smoked in 50 hours!  WhoooHoooo - ok for a smoker that is a dang long time to not have smoked!  LOL  I find to find something amusing about the fits I am going through.

My dentist immediately asked if I was on Chantrix.  Guess this stuff is working pretty good.  I don't have nicotine cravings just the darn emotional ones.  My GP told me that 65% of the people who take Chantrix has been successful.  I don't know if they can give out the same numbers for the patch or nicorette gum - I tried that 3 times already and couldn't quit and those patches are darn expensive.

So to answer Janzen's question about why I want to quit....

1.  My husband doesn't smoke and has complained to me for years and has encouraged me to quit.

2.  I only smoke outside of my house and I am tired of standing in the freezing cold, snowy, rainy weather to smoke.

3.  You can't smoke in bars here in Utah.  Used to but they recently passed a new law.

4.  None of the restaurants here have smoking sections.  Kind of like going back to Texas and in some of the suburb towns you can smoke in restaurants and other you can just like they still have wet and dry counties.  You can't buy liquor in certain counties (hence they are dry counties).

5.  Breast cancer - anything to help me get more healthy.

6.  Better physical condition.  I am worried about putting on weight though and it took me 1.5 years to take off 40 extra pounds that I had put on and I am finally down to a size 4 so I don't want to go back up to a size 6 or size 8.

I hated going to the dentist.  They use this power tool with water to get off your plaque and they hit about 6 really sensitive spots where my knees shot right up to my chest.  I found out that one of my back molars has a rotten root (I had suspected this) and now I need a root canal and crown.  Fortunately this doctor does it ALL in one day and they have reworked their schedule to get me in on Tuesday next week before chemo starts. 

I have chemo orientation on Wednesday next week so I will be starting chemo up really soon.  In a way I can't wait to start chemo.  I feel like I am so far behind some of ya'll here and I want to get the process moving along so I feel like I am doing something to fight this alien that invaded my body.

• NervousKnitter
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good afternoon ladies!! I had to take a break from the computer for a couple of days as it was one of my triggers for lighting up.  I am now on my 8th day smoke-free!! The Chantix has helped me tremendously--I have not had any withdrawal problems and haven't been short-tempered (more than usual).  Doesn't mean I haven't wanted one--I certainly have. But I just get through each "want", one at a time. In my smoking cessation class we have discussed tecniques of what we will do when the urge strikes. One of mine is to clean something that has been affected by smoking (I have a little room in our basement and it's away from the rest of the house. I wouldn't smoke in the house itself, just in here or outside).  So cleaning the computer and now the ceiling are great reminders of why not to light up--it's that icky, sticky orange/brown film. As for wanting a cig while driving--at the drugstore you can get these little plastic things that have dental floss on them.  So today while I was driving I flossed.  I also have a jar where I am putting money in each week. I bought mine by the carton at Costco so now when I come home from Costco I put $35 in the jar. When I have saved enough I am going to do something special just for me. I went to a spin class on Monday and gave it my all and it was great. Didn't cough, didn't feel like I was going to have a heart attack and fall over.  And that was only on day 6!

I have tried many times over a period of many years to quit, so just keep trying. And if you're cutting back and then have one, quit beating yourself up over it. Welcome to the newbies on the thread--I wish you strength and resolve as you tackle this beast.

Well, now that I have written about smoking I want one, so I'm going to go clean something until the urge passes. Good luck and let's keep it going!

Jill

• flfish
    edited February 2009
    Options

Deep breaths, deep breaths....sounds silly but that actually helped me a LOT.  Last night I went to a bbq at the neighbors house and I was one of two people NOT smoking.  THAT was tough.  I chewed on gum and sucked on dum dums until my jaws ached, but when I woke up this morning, I was glad that I made it through without smoking. 

It is funny actually, I feel like I broke up with my long lost boyfriend when I gave up the smokes.  "He" was always there for me when I was happy, scared, stressed or just wanted to be alone.  Even though I knew "he" was not good for me and my friends and family told me "he" would only hurt me, I still loved him! Laughing  I would be lying through my teeth to say that I don't miss "him" every single day!! 

Putting the money away is a good idea.  My husband and I are doing that as well.  I will be having my one year anniversary from being diagnosed in March.  I told my husband that when I get those clear results, we will be taking all the money saved (about $60 a week since Jan. 1st, 2009) and going on a long weekend vacation!  Remember to treat yourself.  We use to "treat" ourselves to ciggs every day, now we will just have to treat ourselves to something more healthy....like a vacation, a day at the spa, new shoes etc....

• flfish
    edited February 2009
    Options

By the way Janzin, that is great news that you don't need the chemo!!  I laughed at your response about how your started smoking because it was "cool"....heehee....I did the same thing in college.  I stopped when I was pregnant, and then started again after my daughter was born.  Now 20+ years later, I find myself being 41, having cancer and still smoking....ugh.  One day at a time I suppose!

• NervousKnitter
    edited February 2009
    Options

Flfish, that is SO great you made it through the BBQ where people were smoking. I haven't done a big test like that yet. Good for you.  Smoking was my friend and companion, too; and you're right, it's like dumping a bad boyfriend.

Let's all take a deep breath, join cyber hands and say "I can make it another day WITHOUT a cig".  Ahhhhh, breathe out and feel how good that deep breath was......

Jill

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

I had this weird dream that I was at a soccer clinic (thanks to the Chantrix) and I don't even like soccer, never watch and never play it.  Anyways, the cute instructor started flirting with me, etc. and I remember picking up a cigarette, taking 3 puffs, and then throwing it on the ground and telling him "I don't even know why I lit that up because I haven't smoked in 3 days and it didn't even taste good" 

Weird that now I am dreaming of not smoking!  Got up this morning and took my Chantrix right away!  Don't have any nicotine cravings at all because of Chantrix but still have those deep emotional cravings.  When do those go away??

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

flfish - I am impressed!  Right now I am staying away from anyone that smokes because I don't want to be put in the position of asking someone for a cigarette and I think I would get really weak and do this.  I am so proud of you!

• flfish
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie--it is a good idea to stay away from smokers for awhile.  I did that for the first 3 weeks....I was like a hermit and I went to bed at 8:30, just so I would not light up.  The Chantix dreams are a trip.  I remember those well, but I sort of liked them, I luckily had good dreams and not nightmares. 

I wish I knew when the emotional cravings go away.  Maybe someone who has quit for a while can help us there.  All I know is that I quit at the first of the year, and I still have emotional cravings.  However, it took less than a week for the physical cravings to go away, which is not too bad.  Anyone know?

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hello Ladies,

Had wrote a long post to all of you but lost it because I forgot to plug in my lap. Desktop is up and going again and now I have to rush on my deadlines. But still wrote a long one, lol.

Congrats to Nervous knitter on her over 8 days free!! You are inspiring me that I know it can be done! I am proud of you!!!!

Janice, good thing your hubby doesn't smoke. My ex didn't and that helped me a lot when I quit the first time. Some of my roommates smoke so it's been easy for me to hit them up for a cig on my quit days. I do have a roommate that wants to quit too so hopefully soon for the both of us. Parties will be hard, may avoid them for a while when I quit.

Fifish, keep on breathing. We forget to breath when we are stressed, etc, so it really does help. And we are still cool, lol ;)

I have been going through a bit of depression in the last year and a half with a divorce, 2 hip surgeries and my recent 2 breast surgeries. SO I started smoking again on my divorce and it became my friend in the last year and a half. I know how you feel about your best friends, so comforting at times. I do think emotional triggers is different for everyone. I was a wreck the first time, 8 months it was there, and really bad too, kinda embarrassing. But I smoked heavily for years and smoked so much stuff away that I had to deal with it when I quit. I do know that NA ( nicotine anonymous ) meetings has helped me with the emotional triggers and made it easier to deal with. I watch people have a different time lines but I also saw people connect who were going through similar stuff, makes you feel your not alone in whatever your going through. That's why it is so nice to hear from ex-smokers and people trying to quit too. It's one of the strengths in support groups. Each year became easier for me but I still thought of cigs because I really do enjoy them, I just didn't have a craving anymore, more like a fleeting thought.  So for you and Janice or anyone else, who knows when your emotional craving will go, it may be over quicker or take longer than others. Keep yourself busy, treat yourself and stay connected.

Anniemar, hang in there and you will find your goodbye. Keep reading and posting and it will come to you! Mine is getting stronger all the time, thank you ladies. Just posting has helped me take a step in the right direction.

Nobleanne, got my prescription to Chantix today. Haven't made another quit day but will soon. Just want to try these pills on for a bit. But I am there with you! Hope I like my dreams too!

Webbie, miss you. Hope you are doing well and Chemo hasn't been too hard on you. This is a great place to rant and rave.

Rave on ladies!

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

My last cigarette was Tuesday at 6 pm.  Here it is Friday 6 pm - It feels like I have quit for 4 days but technically only 3 days unless I'm not doing my math right and believe me, this blondie doesn't do math!

I really struggled today!  I went to the barn - I always take a break and smoke outside the barn.  I always smoked on the way to the barn.  I went to the wig shop.  Last time I went there was Monday so I smoked on my way there so today I was thinking about it the entire time I was driving there.  I kept having to take deep breaths.  It took everything I had to not stop and buy cigarettes but no kidding, I thought about it at least 20 times today.

I WILL SURVIVE - I CAN DO THIS - BREATH DEEP - I CAN SURVIVE.

Ok, now I feel better!  Weird that I can put my thoughts down here and I feel so much better and feel more empowered to kick this nasty habit.  I can't explain it! 

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options

Yeah Janice! Tomorrow may be less that 20!

• neeinil
    neeinil Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2009
    Options

Been there - done that!!  I started smoking when I was 16. In April of 2007 I was diagnosed. The dr who did my surgery and the plastic surgeon who did the reconstruction said they wouldn"t insist on my quitting with all the stress. When I went to see the Oncologist, he said smoking would lessen the effect of the chemo. In June of 2007 I started taking Chantix and I had my last cigarette on June 29, 2007. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, but I did it. I haven't smoked since. Now after over 1 1/2 years I can smell smoke on people who do and it stinks!!!! The cravings got more fleeting the longer I went. I didn't have to take the Chantex the whole 3 months it called for - only 6 weeks and I was amazed how well it worked. I am so glad I did it. Good luck to all who are fighting the habit.

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

Janzin - thanks so much for the support!  I can't believe that I went to eat Mexican food tonight and I didn't even think about smoking after dinner.  I have been drinking water all day long and also drank water laced with lemon at dinner.  The waiter didn't know that the heck to say since we have been going there once a week for years and it is also iced tea with extra lemon and then they bring me extra sugar as I put 12 packets of sugar in my tea.

Nope......I am going to drink WATER, WATER, WATER if it kills me because that is what I need to do when I start chemo so I am trying to get in the habit now.

I have cut down from 8 - 10 cups of coffee to 4 cups of coffee in the morning and will cut that down to 2 cups of coffee and then switch over to decaf. for the other 2 cups per day.  I have cut out drinking cokes all together.

We won't talk about chocolate because I will eat 1 lb at a sitting if I have it available!  I told the nutritionist that I was willing to everything but give up my coffee in the mornings and my chocolate.