Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Stop Smoking Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Janzin
    Janzin Member Posts: 491
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You ladies are too funny!!! I love this group! I was a rebellious kid, saw Judas Priest. But love disco too with my red satin pants, tube top and silver platforms, back when I had a waist.

Well so far everything is good with Chantix, still smoked quite a bit yesterday with my stress, and the cigs still taste good. Haven't had any side effects yet, dreams are normal, no gas lol, or headaches but I think it states it might take a while. I think the worse side effect for me would be insomnia as I work at home and need to motivate myself being my own boss. Hard to do when you are tired so hopefully I don't get that one. I can live with the gas since I am alone most of the time, lol. I don't think the side effects last during the whole treatment so I will tell myself if I have a unpleasant one that maybe it will pass soon. Thanks Janice for your advice, I am trying it today on an empty stomach this morning as I usually eat 2 hours after waking up. I do not have an iron gut so we shall see.

I try to reach out to all of you but it is because I have the time. Today my head is a little cloudy (maybe it's the stress and Chantix) and I need to work so like NervousKnitter said, my thoughts are with all of you. The important thing is to write as I find it keeps me on track and maybe my post may help someone too. Nice to know that I am not alone in this battle!

Good luck to you all, we are doing it!
  • NervousKnitter
    NervousKnitter Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2009
    Options

Greetings, ladies! Just wanted to check in and say "hello" and remind you that you CAN quit; you CAN cut back. In fact, you can control just about everything in life (except the gas--and I can't blame that on Chantix. Anybody remember the little old lady who was serving Dudley Moore in the movie "10"? I think I'm headed that direction...).

I hope I made you laugh and it helped you get through an urge to smoke.

In 2 hours I'll be at the two week marker. I keep checking in on this board because you all give me strength.

Be positive!

• jancie
    jancie Member Posts: 403
    edited February 2009
    Options

Janzin - I forgot to tell you something!  Sorry!  The first 5 days I actually quit there were times I took 5 mg of Valium (1/2 dosage) during the day to help me over the mental jitters and to calm down my anxiety of not smoking.  I can operate on 5 mg of Valium but not 10 mg - that puts me to sleep and I can't drive safely. 

There were a couple of nights I took Valium instead of my Ambien so that I would get totally knocked out.  I haven't been going to bed before midnight (as ya'll can see by my late night posting) and with Ambien I wake up at 6 am which is too darn early for me.

You might consider asking your doctor for some valium and/or ambien to help you through the initial phase.  You can take Chantrix combined with Valium or Ambien but do NOT combine valium and ambien at the same time together.

I am getting ready to cook dinner which means I need to take my Chantrix.  I forgot to take it last night but didn't wake up with any desire to smoke - YAY!  Even though I don't have the withdrawal symptoms I am going to stay on Chantrix for 2 months straight if my oncologist lets me.  Have a chemo orientation with the oncologist tomorrow at 3 pm.

Oh what ticked me off to no end - my dentist today asked me how I was doing on the Chantrix and I had this chit eating grin on my face and said "I haven't smoked in a week now"  - I was so proud of myself.  He responded "how do you feel?"  Me (smiling) "I feel GREAT!" 

He responded "well you won't feel great after awhile.  We have a smoking censation program here at our office"  (Red Flags -trying to sell me on HIS program to give HIM money?)

I was dumbstruck.  Here I do feel GREAT mentally for kicking it for 7 days and he is taking my thunder away?  How DARE he?   What makes him think that in a couple of weeks I won't feel so great after all?  I didn't even ask I was so ticked off.  Physically I feel fine.  I know in a couple of weeks I won't because of chemo but still you don't tell someone who is trying to quit smoking that they are going to feel like chit in a couple of weeks because then we might as well start smoking all over again to prevent feeling like crap!

That was my vent for today!  Will be back later on tonight when I have my typical late night hissy fit - LOL.

xxoo to all the butt fondlers!

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi Jancie, thanks for the tip. I will try asking my Dr for Valiums and Ambien. With all the stress I have, I could use it as I have insomnia without the Chantix at times.

Had to post on your dentist and that is bull! If you feel great now then I think you will feel great later too. Everyone is different emotionally and physically when quitting. And I can tell you this time around won't be as hard as my first time around when I quit emotionally. I have seen hard cases and soft cases at the NA meetings. Ignore your dentist, you have us!!!!!

Let's listen to the positive ladies!!!!

• NervousKnitter
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie, next time you see that dentist I think you should take him a gift-- a bag of what your horse drops on the ground every day and tell him that's what you think of his comment about your not smoking. He has no idea how you are going to feel, and I haven't heard from a person who quit who has said "yeah, four weeks into it and I felt like poo". At first, maybe, until the body gets over the physical addiction--but after something like 5 days it's supposedly just a mental addiction/habit; not physical. I hope he's a really good dentist because he sounds like a horses' hiney!!

And good for you for the valium. I personally believe in "better living through chemistry". You go, girl! I look forward to reading your evening hissy fit.

And Janzin, say "YES" to both valium and ambien. My oncologist said he has never had a patient turn into a druggie--we do what we need to do to get through each day, one at a time, right now.

With you all in spirit, your fellow former butt fondler cyber groupie--

Jill

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

Gals - I came as close as you possibly could to going out and getting a pack of smokes tonight.

Not only did I have to deal with a root canal/crown and a rude dentist today but on top of that my husband yelling at me on the phone.  I went straight to the kitchen and took a valium and I know if I didn't have that on hand I would be at the gas station right now.

My husband has been so darn supportive, taking me to my appointments, loving me, etc. but he was under so much stress having to go appear in court for the umpteenth time because his daughter is out of control and has been convicted of shoplifting, assault, and drug charges, she was suspended 45 days from school - she purposely smoked pot on school grounds so she could get suspended.  She goes to trial the last week of March now.

Unfortunately my husband has custody as her wonderful mother got the kids taken away from her after becoming a crack addict.  Well stepdaughter ran away from our home to go live with mom because mom enticed her with material things and the fact that she would not have any rules, responsibilities, chores, or consequences if she moved there and she could come and go as she pleased.  Guess what, ever since then (2 years ago) stepdaughter has been in and out of court.  She even went as far as filing a false police report against me for child abuse to have what she thought was a legal excuse to run away to live with mom without mom having to spend money to get an attorney to reverse custody which by the way a judge would NEVER reverse custody in our situation.

So it goes on and on and on and I have had to deal with so much over the years, then get cancer, then quit smoking and dammit I need a break.

I get tired of the one being yelled at because my dh is frustrated and angry at his ex-wife and his daughter and I end up being the venting post.  I think my husband should take up boxing to get rid of his frustrations!

Ok, pitty party is over, vent is over and somehow I made it through another day.  What is sad I even warned my husband and told him I needed extra support for the next 3 days as this is when I typically would start smoking again.  If I didn't have ya'll - I don't know what I would do because ya'll are giving me so much strength in ways you don't even realize.

• Alyad
    Alyad Member Posts: 174
    edited February 2009
    Options

I want to congratulate each and everyone of you who is trying to quit smoking. You are strong, you can do this!

I've been a social smoker off and on for years and I am incredibly lucky to be one of those people who can smoke and not get addicted. I never smoked very much, so I don't think it influenced my getting bc, but I'm not doing it anymore.

My dh quit 2 years ago and it was SO hard for him. I have so much respect for how hard it is for everyone. He  had tried various methods and times to quit, his experience taught him you have to keep trying again and different methods until you find what works for you. He used the patch, putting a new one at night. I think the package might rec putting a new one in the morning and he thought that was  counter intuitive.

So when you wake up- your patch is spent and you're craving nicotine?  I think he also felt a little woozy when putting a new patch on at first. So for him it just made a lot more sense to put it on before bed. If you're woozy, you're laying down, and then you wake up fully dosed.

he was on it for 9 weeks, gradually reducing the dose after 6 weeks- BTW it's cheaper to keep buying the full dose patch and cutting them in fractions to reduce the dose.

he fell off the wagon a couple times and then just realized he was going down a slippery slope again. I can't be more proud of him. And I am so proud of all of you as well!

• KerryL
    KerryL Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi,

I am so proud of you who are trying to quit smoking at such a difficult time.  My sister has breast cancer so I decided to get on this link to see what I could learn to help her out.  Then I found this part... I smoked for over 30 years.  I think for me it was the patterns of hand to mouth, etc.  the bad habit.  I felt guilty that my sister never smoked or did anything wrong and she has cancer.  It isn't fair.  But I'm not saying it is ever fair for anyone.  It isn't ever fair.

I think the fear of quiting is worse than actually quiting.  I just want the best for all of you and believe me, the cravings do go away.  I wish you all the best and I hope you can help me. 

• flfish
    flfish Member Posts: 309
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks KerrL, it is really good to know that the cravings will go away.  I will say, after my slip up of smoking last Sunday (after quitting for 5 weeks), it has been quite easy getting back on the band wagon.  I am not having too much trouble the last couple days, but it will be interesting to see what the weekend will bring.

Alyad......luuuuuucky.....I keep telling my dh that I wish I could be a "social smoker" like I was in college.  I could only smoke on the weekends because that is all I could afford. =)  My problem now is, once I start the faucet turns into a waterfall and can't stop.

Jancie, good for you.  Just think, if you could make it through THAT day you can make it through any day.  Stress is such a big factor.  I can't imagine going through all of that, while trying to quit smoking and let's not forget about the little thing called CANCER.  Bless you.  Keep trying, you are doing great.

• NervousKnitter
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie, like Flfish said, if you can make it through THAT you can make it.  You've got a lot going on and you're hanging in there. Wish I could give you some advice about the step-daughter, but smacking them about isn't legal and although it might make you feel better it wouldn't help her. As for the hubby yelling at you, I'd be ticked off, too. But yes, he's stressed, too. I don't think there is ever a perfect time to quit smoking; just as there are always some kinds of stresses going on in our lives. I'm in a moment where my stressful things are much smaller than yours and I am SO grateful for that---but I also know it won't last forever!

Alyad and Kerry L, thanks for your words of support. Kerry, what a good sister you are to be checking things out for your sister. Good luck to her during her "journey".

Another day, another dollar we WON'T be spending on cigs, right?  Have a good one-

• nobleanna007
    nobleanna007 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie- We are so PROUD of you!! You did it WOW!!! That one would have been my reasoning to smoke again. I know about stressful situations, my DD treated me awful through this whole thing. She was so angry with me and would find any excuse to rile me up. She is normally a good girl although being 16 a little mouthy but this past year broke my heart. I finally yelled at her did before to we would battel. But this time I looked her right in the eye and said I feel very sorry for you cause your going to look back on this in time and realize what you have done and said and how unsupportive you have been through this all. I have her in counsoling and I go to one and every other week we all meet to talk. The arguments have totally lessened but my Tx is coming to the end and I do still resent her for her actions thus me seeing a therpist. I know she was scared but so wasn't the rest of us. She never goes a day now without saying she loves me. And thats the best. But their would have been no way I could have quit with that all happening so cudos to you Jancie!! Keep-up the good work.

Thanks to everyone who is in support of us we do treasure it. Its a risky thing admitting on this board that we smoke its embarrasing. A Big Thank-you!!!!

KerryL- Welcome to the Butt Wagon!! There is a few of us going on chantrix this week so your welcomed to join us in any way.

flfish- Congrats on going right back on the wagon. Awsome!!!!

HUGS!!!!! Bridget

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Welcome Alyad and Kerryl. Thanks for your support!

Thanks Nervousknitter for the advice on the long pillow. Bought one yesterday and was finally able to sleep on my side with this horrible expander. Best sleep that I have had in a while and I woke up without a stiff back.

Congrats Jancie on making it through that stressful time. I had heard once that for every stress you get pass smoke free, the stronger it makes you. I got pass a lot of stress the 8 smoke free years I got in, even survived my Ex telling me he was cheating on me, ouch, but did broke down when he dumped me for a younger girl a year later. I did have to set my boundaries on what crap I would put up with to stay smoke free and the best part was it was healthier for me in the long run setting those boundaries as it became part of my new smoke free life. I did take on more down the road but not like I did in the past.

Fifish, good to know that it is easier getting back on the band wagon. We will make it!!

Nobleanna, have you got your chantix yet? I am on the third day, cutting down on smoking, still taste good and no side effects yet. Thanks for your input on my business. I know I will let it go one day and it will be for the best too. Just not yet as it is a stepping stone for my next set of goals.

Have a great day butt fondlers!
  • REKoz
    REKoz Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hello butt fondlers (I just LOVE that!)

I am Ellen the stop smoking thread lurker since I started chemo. I'm on my first break from my 3 weeks on one week off (x4 cycles) and have been feeling almost myself for the first time since I was diagnosed in Oct. Unfortunately, I have to go back for round 2 this Friday (the 13th-too friggin appropriate.) Anyway, I am ready to give this stop smoking the old college try. I've done it in the past, I know what's required as far as mindset and I know I haven't had it yet. I REALLY want to do this so I am hoping that by coming out of the closet here, I am doing myself a favor. I would like to wake up Friday and not smoke. No patches, I want to do this cold turkey. I did not have much luck with chantix as it made me sick. So, here I am to say hello and hopefully become a successful member of this group.

Ellen

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Welcome aboard REKoz! I didn't have a mind set either but it has gotten stronger with every post. And I will keep on posting even if it takes a year because I know if I don't, I may just give up. I do think that thinking about it everyday helps strengthen my resolve. I wish you luck and I know you can do it!!

Looking forward to your posts!

Janet
  • flfish
    edited February 2009
    Options

Welcome Ellen!  (we share the same name, but I go by Ellie).  I am glad you came out of the closet!  Stop smoking is so tough and it doesn't help that smoking has such a bad stigma attached to it.  Does anyone else notice that except for on this blog, I don't seem to get much support for quitting smoking.  It is almost as if the general public just looks at you like "ewe, your a smoooooooker". 

This is so helpful, I wish I would have found all of you earlier! Best of luck quitting and best of luck with round 2 of chemo!!

Ellie

• Judiiiii
    Judiiiii Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie, I am giving you your THUNDER back!!  What a jerk of a dentist.

I am still on my hit and miss quitting methods this week, but planning a "formal" cutting back next week for a couple of weeks, then my quit.  When I reach some point, I shall join this group. 

I don't feel quite serious about quitting as I think I should yet.  But I will soon!  Thanks for alerting me to this thread - I am sure it will help when I am really ready to do it.  On most days, though, I'm smoking about half of what I used to, so I know that I can be as successful as y'all.  I hope.  Thoughts and prayers with all of  you and GOOD LUCK TO ALL!  Judi

• webwriter
    webwriter Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie! You crack ME up and that's sayin' something with the foul beast I've been! Congratulations! You GO GIRL!

DH brought the ratted things back into the shop and then left his stash where I could/would find it. Smoked 1/2 a dumb pack yesterday. I'm not doing well at this and I'm mad about it. But I won't quit quitting. I'm not a quitter, dang it! (Or something! Butt quitter didn't clarify much, so I just didn't go there.) ;)

I'm headed for TX #2 tomorrow. Decadron. Lovely. I already know I'm going to be starting over again this weekend, not before. But I'm still here, still fighting every single one--and SO HAPPY AND PROUD of those of you who are seriously kickin' Butt out there! 

Keep it up. All you slackers, like me, it's a new day. Let's give it another shot. We CAN!

Love,

Web

• NervousKnitter
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ohh, more fellow Butt Fondlers!! Ellie, it is so true how helpful this thread is. I was gone all day and could barely wait to check in and see how all you gals are doing. REKoz/Ellen--great to have you here! We're all brutally honest here with a touch of humor when it happens, so feel free to say anything.  Judiiii--you jump in whenever you are ready. You can even jump in and say "but I'm still not ready" and we understand. Boy, do we understand. Bridget, you are so good at remembering to support everyone. I have to write everything down and then I lose the note. And buggers--now I can't blame it on smoking!!

Today was day 15. It's interesting to see what does/doesn't trigger wanting one. The thing I like about the Chantix is that I really don't think about smoking very often--it's the hand movements and the habit of it that I find hard to give up. Like picking up my purse and phone when I'm getting ready to leave the house and then looking around for my cigs and lighter.  I haven't slipped up yet but do invite ya'll to kick my rear if I do!!

Webwriter, good luck with #2. We'll be thinking of you. And it's okay to keep quitting. You've got lots going on--hardly perfect circumstances to give up the comforting butts.

One more evening--we can do it, ladies!! One more evening (or just say "Ah, forget it" and go to bed really, really early!!)

A cyber hug to all

Jill

• nobleanna007
    nobleanna007 Member Posts: 58
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hi All,

Janzin- I can totally relate to the expander, and this is part of my motivation to quit smoking so I can have my Diep. I am so tired of stuffing the one empty side and having to fix it all the time it can get quite embarrassing sometimes, when your stuffing is poking out of your shirt! LOL!!

I am getting chantix tommorrow and will start on Friday. Just need to figure out the med problem it makes me want to smoke not good when your trying to quit.

REKoz- Welcome to the ButtFondlers and WoW quitting cold turkey you go girl!!!!

Good-luck on your chemo TX tommorrow!!!!!

flfish- I get just the opposite people giving me that look well meaning or not. And I just love to be Nagged about it!!!!           NOT!!!!!!!

Judi- Welcome and keep posting . I have yet to stop smoking but everyone here supports each other whether they are smoking or just quit or stopped and started again. There is no judge and jury here. And to be quite honest these ladies inspire me to want to give it the try. But I know what you mean about being ready cause you have to be for it to work. Keep posting and reading.

Webbie- The Dreaded Decadron boy the few times I had it it hyped me up so much and drove me to smoke just like a certain pain med I take. Thank goodness I couldn't take it cause it not only made me hyper it drove my bloodpressure up. I know its suppose to help with SE but I truly felt better without. Yeah I got the bone aches but at least I did not have a heart attack. I couldn't win. But good-luck for TX #2.

Hugs to all! 

• REKoz
    edited February 2009
    Options

Hey Buttsters-

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I intend to be brutally honest as not doing so would defeat the whole purpose no? Though I must admit that it has not been beyond the realm of my reality to lie about smoking when I have supposedly quit. I do have a past to prove that!

Anyway, my dilemma is whether to suck it up and dive right in tomorrow when I start my next round of chemo (WHAAA WHAA...never thought I'd love the almost normal me so much!). Or, maybe go with the chemo effect. In other words, slow down till I start to go downhill on Sun. It is surely easier to not smoke when I feel like carp (spelling intentional- trying to clean up my dirty mouth in all ways! Wink)  Being that today is my last day of feeling good for the next three weeks, I feel entitled to smoke my brains out! That sense of entitlement is something while on chemo isn't it? I can feel that sense strongly to do further damage to my body. Yet, I feel guilty and not so entitled to just sit on my butt when the chemo has hold of me!! Will we women EVER get a break?

Wishing everyone a wonderful day. Smokeless to those brave souls who have been stopped and a little less smokier to those of us hanging on for dear life! (Now if THAT isn't an oxymoron...)

Ellen

• flfish
    edited February 2009
    Options

I am curious as to how your doctors have handled the fact that you smoke?  My oncologist was great.  Of course he wanted me to quit, but he certainly didn't nag.  He just told me that it takes an average of 5 times to quit for good and if I mess up, just keep trying (and if I wanted an RX he would write one).  Are some surgeries affected or not able to be performed if you smoke?  I hate to sound ignorant, but I was lucky and my only surgery was the lumpectomy, so I am not sure.

Another morning, no coughing.  I did however take Jill's advice and go to bed at 8:30 so I would not be tempted!  At least I am catching up on my sleep!

Ellie

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Welcome Judiiiii! Glad to have you. I too am struggling with the quit thing. Sometimes I feel like I have so much energy a day and to tackle on BC, depression, and work stress and try to quit smoking at the same time is a bit much. But this is a great place to share your feelings and offer support which is soooooo good for your quit smoking program so we look forward to you joining us. And it's like Nervousknitter says, we understand!

Fifish, my Dr gave me a scare on the quit smoking before expander surgery but didn't nag afterwards. I have had 5 surgeries in the last 13 months, 2 hip, 1 eye cosmetic, lumpectomy and mast/expander and the surgeries that had more complications from smoking were the ones that the Dr got on me about quitting. Those were my eyes because the skin is so thin and the expander. My scars on my eyes are heavier so I wonder what it would of been like if I didn't smoke. Still too early on the expander but the Dr said the first week or so was the most important.

Webbie, glad to hear from you. Glad you are not beating yourself up. The fact that we are trying is huge!!! This is a huge beast for a lot of us. I am right there with ya and going on my 3rd or 4th try but I won't quit quitting either!

Nervousknitter, I too look forward everyday to the post of the great ladies in our group! I am on day 4 with the Chantix, don't feel any different and I know I will need to fight those hand movements too. My roommate just got Chantix so we are both going to do it! Funny that you look around for your cigs, old habits, huh.

Nobleanna, haven't tried to stuff the other side yet, too hard with the support bras and I know it would be lumpy. So I have been walking around lopsided. At my last booth, news spread fast as to what happened to me and a lot of people would ask me how I was doing then look at my chest and actually linger. Maybe I should give them a Elvira wink and shake my lopsided boobies at them next time, lol. Good luck with your Chantix!

REKoz, it's safe to be honest here, not like we are going to pound on your door, lol. But honesty helps everyone here as your struggle is another's struggle so it gives hope that one can do it too. I too sometimes have to have a vacation from quitting, especially since we have so much on our plates. I can't imagine what Chemo is like, but sounds really tough, not sure what my quit smoking would be like. I see my Dr in couple of weeks to find out for sure that I don't need to go. Thing is I rather go than have a recurrence and go through all this again. Good luck to you on your next round.

Janet 
  • Judiiiii
    Judiiiii Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2009
    Options

Thanks so very much for the welcome!  It means soooo much.  Still smoking once per hour, on the hour, with little trouble.  And no phone smoking.  I really am focusing on those that I do NOT smoke, rather than those that I do.  Really helps. But I know there is a big difference between cutting back than having NONE.  Scary.  Very scary.  But I will quit and join you all.  Thanks again for the welcome and the very best of luck to you.  Judi

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

Gosh - I am a whole page behind!  My head is spinning reading all of the responses since yesterday.

Ok, before I get to each of you (and forgive me if I miss one or two of ya'll) - I am now on day 9!  I figure by the time I hit 14 days I will start counting in weeks and then in months! 

Saw my oncologist yesterday for an orientation meeting and to meet my patient advocate who takes care of the insurance.  He asked me how my smoking was going and I told him I was on Day 8.  He asked how I was dealing with the jitters, etc. and I explained I didn't have them, I am dealing with mental issues such as husband yelling at me (my husband was sitting right there and so I made light of it as though it was a joke).  The oncologist said "well what do you do when you are stressed out?"  I replied "I pop a valium" and he about died laughing.

He told me I would go into early menopause and I looked at him and said "do you really think that is going to bother me?  I have had my tubes tied and I am too old anyways"  My dh speaks up "it might be a problem" and the doctor said "we have drugs for that also"  Laughing

Ok, back to the wonderful butt fondlers:

Noble - LOL on the 7 wigs.  I plan to have fun also!  I just got another wig yesterday (exchanged one that I had) and this one matches my existing color and length and pretty much my hair style so I am calling it my "church wig" - I will wear it to church on Sundays.  My other two are my "play" wig for fun things!  I have no doubt I will be back at that store buying more wigs.  My friend's sister got BC, got wigs to wear and continues to this day (5 years later) wears wigs all of the time so that she can be a different person each day, she loves wearing them.  Me thinks I will be just like her.

Janzen - did you get your valium and ambien yet or did I miss that response?  Believe me both of them are life savers for me dealing with the stress of daily life, BC and trying to quit all at the same time. 

NKnitter - sorry I didn't write out my nightly hissy fit!  I had chemo orientation and then Lymphedema exercise class followed by eating Mexican Food out with my hubby and stepson so I didn't get home until late and I wanted to watch American Idol that we taped earlier.  I will say as I walked out of that restaurant and it was 30 degrees outside my first thought was "I no longer have to freeze my ass off smoking a cigarette outside" - got to find the positives!

Alyad - I so wish I could be a social smoker!!  I rarely drink and I love to smoke when I drink and now I have to cut out all alcohol which is a bitch since I home brew my own beer!  I truly can't remember how much one has to smoke before they get addicted to it.  I have a horse friend that only smokes when she is with me and she will chain smoke when she is with me, she goes home and doesn't smoke again until we get together which is about every 2 to 3 weeks.  I wonder if I will ever get to that point where once in a blue moon I can go to a bar and have a smoke and not get instantly addicted again.  Congrats to your hubby for not smoking!

KeriL - Smoking has nothing to do with getting breast cancer - it is luck of the draw so to speak and some of us are more subseptible to getting it based on our genes.  There are people with lung cancer that have never smoked in their life.  I know it seems unfair but don't feel guilty that she got cancer and you didn't even though she had a healthier lifestyle.  Who is to really say what a healthy lifestyle is anyways?  We all have our idea about what "we" personally think is a healthy lifestyle to begin with.

FLfish - You can do this!!  Tell yourself you can make it through the weekend!  I know....weekends are the toughest.

NKnitter - another day another dollar - how very true!  My stepson asked me at dinner last night how much money I was saving not smoking.  I told him about $70 to $80 per month but realistically probably more like $100 per month which equals to $1200 per year which is equal to a little bit over 2 months of board for my horse!

Noble - 16 year old mouthy teenager - you don't even have to tell me what that is all about - I experienced it but also mixed in with hatred from her.  Glad you are in counseling - I do believe in it and have gone over the years myself. 

I had better hit the submit button before I accidently get logged out so I will be back in just a second. 

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

Janzin - love the idea of setting boundaries!  I never thought of that! 

Rekoz - l died laughing when you said you were coming out of the closet.  For years I was a true closet smoker - my exhusband was cruel when it came to the issue of smoking.  I hated that I had to hide it from him and it definately had an impact on our marriage as I felt I couldn't trust him enough as a friend to confide in him.  Hence I dropped him out of my life 17 years later.  Only you can decide which is the day that you want to quit.  Don't pressure yourself too much.  You will be so much more successful if it is your decision based on your personal feelings - best of luck in your journey to not smoking.  We are here to support you all of the way!

Judi - cutting back is the first step!!  Just thinking "do I need this smoke now or can it wait an hour" - that is HUGE!  That alone is progress!  Technically you have joined this group/thread so you can't leave it and we expect to hear from you on a daily basis! 

Web - The treatments have been rough on you so don't get discouraged.  The fact that you want to fight is a step in the right direction.  It may not be today or toorrow that you kick it's butt but you will!  I believe in you!  After all - you are the one that got us all together here and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

And to everyone........I can't thank ya'll enough for the kudos for making it through without smoking on Tuesday.  Yesterday was ok - no problems - no urge to have a cigarette based on mental stress.  Today is another calm day in our home - at least it has been up until now and it is around 3 pm.  I am so looking forward to Day #10.

As far as this weekend, I won't drink at the party, I think I will just pop a valium instead Wink

• REKoz
    edited February 2009
    Options

Jancie-

I had Valium for weeks after surgery. Had an infection and scar revision and luckily did not loose the expanders. BUT I see the PS for the first time in a month on Monday. He wasn't so sure that he would fill me during chemo because of all the rough going. Scars look great but I am pretty thin up top (didn't lose much in the physical sense anyway!). I am hoping he will begin to fill so that I can get me more Valium!! I He was fine giving them and Vicodin then, but now I don't think he'd be so willing. None of my Docs are very generous with the good drugs!  Honestly, I'm not a pill popper and had never even had Valium before. I can see now why I would benefit from it to stop smoking. And for a good nights sleep!!  So NOW I'm thinking, "OK, I'll do the hourly thing until Mon. and see if I can get some more help Monday!!

I wanna be just like you Jancie! I wanna say I haven't had a smoke in days! And enjoy doing it all the while....Yuk yuk

Ellen

• Janzin
    edited February 2009
    Options

Ladies we are kicking butt in our thread!!!

Judiiii, I totally understand the fear of quitting cigs. I remember the first time, I was so scared it reminded me of when I jumped out of a plane. Every time my friends would even talk about sky diving, I would picture Willie Coyote falling and disappearing into a poof of smoke at the bottom and my head would spin. When I finally got to the sky diving place, I could see the people coming down in their parachutes. I freaked out and ran to the bathroom and puke on every parachute i saw before my jump, I had a huge fear of heights. I think the only way I was able to jump was because I went tandem, but I went out crying and screaming. But once I was out, the fear starting to go away and after a bit was I actually enjoying the ride. So the worst part is making that jump out of the plane. Kinda like quitting cigs, once you make that first scary jump, it's not as scary as you think and before you know it your are enjoying life again. For all those who are thinking about quitting, prepare for that jump and remember that you are not alone, the Butt Fondlers are riding tandem with you!!

Peace!

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

ReKoz - you tell your doctor that you are trying to quit smoking and you are having MAJOR ANXIETY ATTACKS and would like some valium to help control them for the next 30 to 60 days.  Also tell him that you are trying to heal from all of these treatments but you are having major insomnia and sleep is really important in the healing process.  Push hard to get what you want.  Stress the total lack of sleep and anxiety attacks and hopefully he will prescribe what you need. 

I had insomnia for years - it was really bad and I could never get my doctor to give me ambien but for 10 days as he said "your sleep pattern changes in 10 days"  NOT!!!  I think doctors are becoming more lenient with ambien than in years past because you don't get addicted to it.

Last night for the first time in 2 months I was able to sleep without taking any meds.  That was until I woke up at 5 am with my tooth throbbing from the root canal and couldn't go back to sleep with it throbbing so I took a pain med and then slept until 10:45.  That wasn't my plan but nor was it to get up at a ridiculous hour of 5 am.

Janzin - Did you know Marianne Kramer - she was one of the few female swoopers and she went to Colorado many times for the big meets.

• NervousKnitter
    edited February 2009
    Options

Good evening, fellow fondlers!  Just had to check in and see how well all are doing.  Sounding great, ladies!  Even if you were smoking away but THOUGHT about it--you're doing yourself a favor. That versus "Ooops, lit it and didn't know it--look what's in my hand."  And if you put the urge off for a few minutes, even better.

Today was 16 for me and I'll switch to counting weeks instead of days. I think. I still have moments where I'll think "Oh, I need to go outside and smoke" and then remember--oh yeah--I quit (I prefer to tell myself "I'm CHOOSING not to have a cig"). When I went out to my car after grocery shopping there was a man next to his car smoking so I purposely went down a different row of cars so I couldn't even smell it. I was afraid I might like it too much!  Hopefully I'm just being overly cautious. Time will tell!

For all who are stressed--as Jancie says, tell your doctor how stressed you are. You are in THE position to be telling them this--it's the truth, and you've got a ton on your plate. We're "trained" in many ways to be little chickens when we talk to doctors and trust me, STICK UP FOR YOURSELF and if they get ticked--that's their problem. Valium is a wonderful thing, and I had to take ambien for a couple of years. I am just now learning how to sleep without a sleeping pill--but I have to have music on (quiet stuff--no rock) to keep my mind from whirring. So if you aren't sleeping, complain about it; if you're stressed, complain about it. Hey, if you have to pretend it's your husband/boyfriend, RIP INTO THEM if they aren't listening!  It is time for YOU to put YOURSELF first.  What a concept!

Jancie--root canal, stepkids, chemo all at once. I think you're handling it well. It sort of makes me feel better that I'm sure I'm lots older than you. (Which I could prove with a photo...if it were me knealing down with the horse there would be interesting pictures of me grabbing things and trying to pull myself back up to a standing position. The joys of aging and Arimidex are not always a pretty combination!)

Janzin, we won't just ride tandem--we'll be a giant parade on hogs made to look like a burning cig. A true force to be dealt with!! 

To all, a pleasant evening (or night, morning, whatever) and a cyber hug to all. Now here's a thought for you who are thinking of quitting....at our last night of class one of the people made a comment that because we don't smell like cig smoke we will probably get more hugs than we used to. OR, if we are the one giving the hug we won't have to think "Geez, hope I don't stink TOO much like a cig".  I'm just throwing that out there if you're thinking of reasons you might want to quit.

You'll know when it's time to quit. In the meantime, enjoy every day we have, smoke free or not!

• jancie
    edited February 2009
    Options

NKnitter - I am 49  years old next month.  I may look 10 years younger which most people can't believe I am even 40 but that I truly believe is because I stayed out of the sun most of my life.  I hate getting hot, I sweat like a man so I have never enjoyed sunbathing and I absolutely refuse to go tanning at a salon.  My current husband recognized me immediately when he saw me 25 years later and so did many of my other classmates from Italy  - I just am one that doesn't really change as far as my looks but my boobs have dropped and they are showing their age Laughing

I am wondering if I can slip my breast surgeon a little bit of money under the table to give me some "tucks" so that my breasts look perkier - LOL.

What is really weird is that twice now I have had dreams that I started smoking again and in my dream I was actually pissed off at myself for doing that.  I was so glad to wake up this morning and find out that I didn't start smoking again.  Chantrix makes you have some really weird dreams.

Funny you should mention smelling like a cigarette because that never crossed my mind as to how I would smell to other people.  I was though very considerate to never smoke in other people's homes or cars and if we were standing outside and someone didn't smoke I would make sure I was downwind of them so that the smoke didn't drift across to them.  I have had friends tell me I could smoke in their homes (non-smokers) and I always declined because they would end up smelling that smoke for days.

I never thought an internet based non-smoking group would be beneficial to me but dang if I am not finding out differently.  You gals are awesome - each and every one of you.  Ya'll give me the strength to get through each day.