We are 213,316 members in 82 forums discussing 152,270 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Stop Smoking Support Thread

Forum: Share Your Experiences Of Life After A Breast Cancer Diagnosis —

Share your experiences of life after a breast cancer diagnosis and offer advice on how you cope with life's daily challenges, including how you develop a new daily/weekly routine while you deal with breast cancer.

Posted on: Jan 13, 2009 10:12PM

webwriter wrote:

Some of us will, some of us won't, but it's an ugly beast to try to tackle alone. I think I'd rather have cancer than quit. Sadly, I can't quit cancer. Dunno if I can quit smoking or not, but I just read a study that says smoking (nicotine) interferes with and blocks chemo by 61%.

http://www.jointogether.org/news/research/summaries/2006/nicotine-hinders.html

joeoncology.blogspot.com/2006/...

If I'm gonna have to go through this crap, it darned well better work. I've come to terms with every other aspect of this mess I've been presented with so far. Sometimes with tears, sometimes with humor, sometimes with quiet hugs from hubby. Smoking not so much. I like it. It's my friend, my crutch, my safe harbor in a crazy world. It's killing me. It's time to say good-bye.

My quit date is 1/19/09. My husband will be joining me. Cold turkey for me, patches for him. (I am avoiding more nicotine just as much as I am sugar.) 

Anyone out there care to join us?

www.acoffeebreakcafe.com/CBC/b... Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 436 of 436 (13,057 results)

Posts 13051 - 13057 (13,057 total)

Nov 6, 2018 07:11PM Vslush wrote:

Thank you MinusTwo. It's nice not to feel so alone in this struggle and not an outcast for being a smoker in the first place! I am having DIEP on the 29th, so I HAD to quit or they wouldn't do it. Funny, in a way it's almost a relief to have the option taken from me. Probably would never have pushed through even the first day.

CarolAnnie, I have been vaping as well. I went zero nic since they will be testing me. Is that what you're planning, or putting it down completely? I'm finding it almost redundant without the nic (terrible withdrawal), but using it as a pacifier all the same. Do you ever find it sickening after a while? It tastes great, but so sweet! 🤢

Dx 6/27/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/24/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Nov 7, 2018 09:27AM CarolAnnieLumpLump wrote:

Vslush, I have both 0 nicotine and one that is 1.8 nic. I have been using the 1.8 more lately but do not have nicotine withdrawal symptoms anymore. I read the 1.8 is like the same amount of nic as one cig. I get my zeros from "A Clean Cigarette" they have many nice flavors. I like their coffee, blueberry and mint flavors best. I find I prefer the ecig style over the vapes. I would like to quit all together. I switch up my flavors often so I don't notice feeling sick. I have 3 batteries and a variety of cartridges so I have more than one flavor at a time. My lungs feel so much better and my sense of smell is a wonder! Not to mention that I am not so self conscious all the time about how I smell. I don't miss that constant battle of not smelling like a big ol' cigarette as my dh would say. I love that I was able to quit. I do still miss it some but the urge continues to fade. I have a friend that says when she is 90 she is going to start smoking again. I might join her. lol

Wishing you all the best with your upcoming surgery.

Diagnosed at 59. Oncotype 10. Dx 6/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 11/23/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 7, 2018 10:51AM Vslush wrote:

Thanks for the info, CarolAnnie. I may try the ecig instead. This big ole vape thing is way too fussy and complicated. I agree the best part is not smelling, and not trying to cover it up. Good luck with your quit!

Dx 6/27/2017, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- (FISH) Chemotherapy 7/24/2017 AC + T (Taxol)

Nov 7, 2018 02:23PM - edited Nov 7, 2018 02:24PM by ctmbsikia

I am still smoking 2-4 a day.  It's been almost 2 weeks since I purchased a pack.  If you recall I found myself a little triggered over having to get back into a little caregiving for my mother in law after the death of her spouse.  She is really not a problem, she's doing OK so I was able to get back to step 1-STOP buying them!!  It works, if you don't have 'em you can't smoke 'em!   Husband still smokes so that's where I fail.  I don't want any pills, nicotine, replacement vices (like ecigs or vaping), maybe some regular gum.  Having a lung scan 7-Dec so hoping to keep stepping down to nothing by then, maybe, no guarantees...…..

Best wishes to all for a smoke free day!

Dx 12/14/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/16/2018, LCIS, Right Surgery 1/31/2018 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 4/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 16, 2018 09:11AM lisamarie68 wrote:

Hi everyone , still struggling along with my mom ... feeling better aftery surgery .. I hope to find everyone here doing well. Minus great news about the lungs ... missing you

xoxoxox

lisamarie

lisamarie Dx 1/18/2012, LCIS, 0/13 nodes, ER+ Surgery 4/23/2012 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 4/23/2012 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery 7/11/2012 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 2/11/2013 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right)

Nov 16, 2018 09:17PM CarolAnnieLumpLump wrote:

Lisamarie-glad you are doing better after your surgery! Being a caregiver is such a difficult thing to do. Sending you good vibes. Don't forget to do something nice for yourself often.

27/28 whole breast rads for me today. One more whole breast and 6 boosts and I am done! yay. On to arimidex next. Hoping the side effects tolerable. Had a dream I smoke to 2 cigs the other night. lol Not gonna lie, I enjoyed them both.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Diagnosed at 59. Oncotype 10. Dx 6/5/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/7/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/10/2018 Whole-breast Hormonal Therapy 11/23/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 17, 2018 08:58AM MinusTwo wrote:

LisaMarie - glad that your healing and feeling better after the surgery. Are you back at work full time yet? Sorry too hear you Mom hasn't changed.

CarolAnnie - Ohhhhh two dream smokes. That's better than dream sex. How is your skin holding up to the rads? Amazing that there's only one left before the boosts. So you'll be finished before Christmas?

Bosom - I know you don't log on much - and I know you've change your 'screen name', but this is how everyone recognizes you. We think of you often. Sending you happy B-day wishes for a week from today just in case you check in.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 436 of 436 (13,057 results)