Topic: natural girls

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 3, 2009 09:59PM

Posted on: Mar 3, 2009 09:59PM

amberyba wrote:

I have tried this before, but wanted to start a thread for us natural girls to build our friendships, share our thoughts and the natural things we are doing. there is a thread called bottle of tamoxifen, that I enjoyed the friendships of, but now that I am off the tamoxi-train and using alternatives, it would be nice to have a support group of women who encourage each other with alternative, complementary and holistic treatment.

Here's to friendship and support.

Amber Almond Dx 2/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 3 of 1,013 (10,130 results)

Mar 5, 2009 09:39AM - edited Mar 5, 2009 09:40AM by LJ13

Enzymes aren't alive and can't be "killed by chemo."

Where in the world do you people get this stuff?

If you're talking about probiotics, they are beneficial bacteria. They also are not killed by chemo.

Eating raw fruits or veggies during chemo is contraindicated by any oncologist. Taking probiotics does nothing to change this. If the immune system is compromised, any small amount of pathogenic bacteria can cause a life-threatening infection.

Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

Mar 5, 2009 09:47AM FloridaLady wrote:

LJ13,

Would you try doing some research before running off at the mouth.  Read what the chemo does to the stomach lining. Do really really think all the nausea is from low blood?

Did you every do any chemo?  You are stage O.  Exactly what do you know about any of this?

We don't need a doctor to tell us this works.  As noted by patients in treatment this does work!

Flalady

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Mar 5, 2009 10:20AM lisasayers wrote:

LJ...I'll let my oncologist know that he was wrong to tell me I could eat my raw fruits and veggies.  I'm sure he will be grateful!

Incidentally...ate them all through chemo and had NO problems! 

One year cancer FREE 10/24/09! Bilateral with TE 10/24/08, 4 Cycles TC ended 2/6/09, Exchange Surgery 410 Gummie 3/20/09 Dx 9/25/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 5, 2009 11:03AM - edited Mar 5, 2009 11:14AM by LJ13

Florida"Lady", I know what chemo does to stomach cells. Some chemo agents cause stomach cells that are in the division phase to self-destruct. That is in fact one reason why many people experience nausea during chemo.

This has nothing to do with enzymes. Enzymes are reactive proteins that match with keyed catalysts to cause biochemical reactions. They are not alive. They can't be killed. They are just protein molecules. It is not necessary to do research on this as it is taught in basic chemistry class.

Whether I took chemo is also irrelevant. My staging is irrelevant. And, you are quite incorrect in your assumption. I had 4 rounds of dose dense AC, 12 weeks of Taxol/Herceptin, and 13 additional treatments of Herceptin. My staging was "clinically" 2B or 3A. Unknown because I did neoadjuvant therapy. I also had a lumpectomy + AND, and 33 radiation treatments. 

Interesting that you imply that Stage 0 ladies have nothing to contribute here though. I think you owe them an apology for that.

Lisa, I am glad you didn't have any problems during chemo. I should qualify my statement: only raw foods that can be washed/scrubbed thoroughly or peeled should be eaten by chemo patients.  It is very risky to eat leafy greens, raw broccoli, raw berries, etc.

I have nothing against raw food. Only for people with neutropenia.

I think many foods are healthier raw ... but many foods actually release more nutrients when cooked (tomatoes, for example).

Mar 5, 2009 11:18AM Jenniferz wrote:

Although not a "natural girl", I am interested and truly take my hat off to you ladies for the discipline that it takes to go on and stay on these diets. My onc. also didn't specify any diet, has the same "eat as you want" type of attitude, but my pcp keeps a better eye on me, and is on my about my weight.  She likes it to stay stable, but celebrates with me when I loose!,,then gives me the "stink eye" when I gain it all back! ( and SHE'S overweight!)

I am trying to stay away from sweets, and do so fairly well, but must admit, when family comes home, I do binge. I probably won't post here, but will lurk as I try and find combinations that will fit for me.  One that I have found is Althea's green juice....how many times a day do you drink this?.  This sounds like something that would be good after I do my exercises.....see?  I am trying! Smile Also, do you add water to this?  Or drink it just this way?

Also ladies, where do you find a juicer? Or, can I put these in a blender.  Never juiced a carrot or celery before.

Hat's off to you ladies!  I do admire you. And, and here's to a "fight-free" thread.  Would be a relief!

Jennifer

Mar 5, 2009 01:46PM StaceyR wrote:

(She just can't stay away; I'm feeling the love) Laughing

I posted this on another thread a while back but here it is for anyone who's interested.  The "green lemonade" recipe I use in my juicer is this:

• 2 apples
  • 1/2 or 1 lemon (peeled or not - I peel because my juicer doesn't like it either)
  • 4-5 stalks of celery
  • 4 or 5 leaves of kale or lettuce
  • 1 inch of fresh ginger

Jen, I bought my juicer at a department store; it's an Oster brand, paid around $100 for it, and it does a pretty good job.  You wouldn't get the same "juice" result from a blender because it wouldn't separate out the pulp, hence there would be a lot more volume.  Not that that is bad, but one of the benefits of juicing is getting most of the nutrients without having to consume so much volume (I think!).  Sometimes I add a bit of water, but not much.  I try and make it every morning, but sometimes I'm not organized and run out of fresh produce.

I think all those warnings about raw vegetables during chemo are a little overblown.  It makes sense to be prudent, but we can't be afraid of everything.  We were also warned about not attending big gatherings and being careful in public places.  I still took the bus to work, went to the gym, and lived my life as normally as possible.  Everybody is different, and we must each be vigilant in monitoring how our bodies are handling threats.

Dx 3/18/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/22/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/5/2008 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/5/2008 Breast

Mar 5, 2009 05:08PM LJ13 wrote:

From ASCO, Tips for Preventing Infections:

Do not eat raw foods, including meats, shellfish, and eggs, and avoid or carefully wash raw fruits and vegetables.

www.cancer.net/patient/Diagnos... 

Mar 5, 2009 05:29PM StaceyR wrote:

I was amazed to see how high my WBC and neutrophils went up when I went to the gym before doing pre-chemo bloodwork.  The ladies in the blood lab suggested just climbing the stairs a few times, but I was enrolled in a fitness study at the hospital gym and just went down for my workout before going to the lab.  Did anyone else manage to exercise during chemo?  I certainly did not feel like it some days, but I was pretty proud of what I was able to do for those months.

Dx 3/18/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/22/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/5/2008 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/5/2008 Breast

Mar 5, 2009 05:53PM CaseyDoodle wrote:

Hello All.  Thanks for posting here.  I have gotten two really good recipes and I'm looking forward to trying them.  I have had a juicer for years but haven't used it much, but I think I'll have to get it out and give it another try.

I ate horribly during chemo.  I was so very sick that all I could keep down was starches.  Of course, I gained weight.

I just bought a large dehydrator and can't wait to try it out.  I can't imagine at this point that I'll go "completely raw" but I have seen and read enough to appreciate the benefits.

I am currently taking Arimidex and having a really tough time, but I am really worried about stopping it.  I have about 70 pounds to lose and am concerned about the estrogen produced by the fat.  Does anyone else have this concern?  I am walking 3 miles and day and really eating healthy and the weight is coming off, but not fast enough for me. 

Thanks again for posting. 

Kay Dx 4/8/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 5, 2009 05:57PM LJ13 wrote:

Many studies have established that a reasonable amount of exercise is an immune system booster (there is some data that too much exercise can run it down somewhat). There are also studies, some quoted in the news area of bc.org, that show that exercise on the day of and few days after chemo can halt nausea right in its tracks.

I resolved to exercise on the day of my infusion and the 3 days after no matter how I felt. I did find that it pushed mild nausea away. I also believed that getting my heart rate up was a good way to get the chemo circulating and recirculating to every cell in my body when the chemo was at its strongest in my system. Now, I can't prove that that is why I achieved a complete pathological remission with my neoadjuvant therapy, but I do believe it helped the cause.

I got Neulasta when I was on AC, but didn't need any WBC assistance on Taxol. Taxol did make me a bit anemic, but not enough to require intervention.

Page 3 of 1,013 (10,130 results)

Scroll to top button