Topic: natural girls

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 3, 2009 09:59PM

Posted on: Mar 3, 2009 09:59PM

amberyba wrote:

I have tried this before, but wanted to start a thread for us natural girls to build our friendships, share our thoughts and the natural things we are doing. there is a thread called bottle of tamoxifen, that I enjoyed the friendships of, but now that I am off the tamoxi-train and using alternatives, it would be nice to have a support group of women who encourage each other with alternative, complementary and holistic treatment.

Here's to friendship and support.

Amber Almond Dx 2/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 1,013 (10,130 results)

Mar 5, 2009 05:57PM lisasayers wrote:

StaceyR ....I continued to teach Zumba fitness classes all during chemo and it really helped to keep the side effects at bay.  In fact I would teach every night right after having my chemo treatments.  My hardest days were Mondays...but I also taught on those days as well. 

One year cancer FREE 10/24/09! Bilateral with TE 10/24/08, 4 Cycles TC ended 2/6/09, Exchange Surgery 410 Gummie 3/20/09 Dx 9/25/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 5, 2009 06:00PM FloridaLady wrote:

LJ13 maybe you should have done more research.  There is zero proof that Stage O ladies need chemo. 

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Mar 5, 2009 06:02PM FloridaLady wrote:

Cancer Treatment: How Eating Fruit And Vegetables Can Improve Cancer Patients' Response To Chemotherapy

ScienceDaily (Oct. 24, 2008) - The leading cause of death in all cancer patients continues to be the resistance of tumor cells to chemotherapy, a form of treatment in which chemicals are used to kill cells.

***Just of LJ13 ****Now a study by UC Riverside biochemists that focuses on cancer cells reports that ingesting apigenin - a naturally occurring dietary agent found in vegetables and fruit - improves cancer cells' response to chemotherapy.

Xuan Liu, a professor of biochemistry, and Xin Cai, a postdoctoral researcher working in her lab, found that apigenin localizes tumor suppressor p53, a protein, in the cell nucleus - a necessary step for killing the cell that results in some tumor cells responding to chemotherapy.

The study, published in the online early edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, provides a novel approach to conquer tumor resistance to chemotherapy, and suggests an avenue for developing safe chemotherapy via naturally occurring agents.

Normally, cells have low levels of p53 diffused in their cytoplasm and nucleus. When DNA in the nucleus is damaged, p53 moves to the nucleus where it activates genes that stop cell growth and cause cell death. In this way, p53 ensures that cells with damaged DNA are killed.

In many cancers, p53 is rendered inactive by a process called cytoplasmic sequestration. Apigenin is able to activate p53 and transport it into the nucleus, resulting in a stop to cell growth and cell death.

"In therapy you want to kill cancer cells," explained Cai, the first author of the research paper. "But to stop cell growth and to kill the cell, p53 first needs to be moved to the cell's nucleus to function. Apigenin is very effective in localizing p53 this way."

Apigenin is mainly found in fruit (including apples, cherries, grapes), vegetables (including parsley, artichoke, basil, celery), nuts and plant-derived beverages (including tea and wine). It has been shown by researchers to have growth inhibitory properties in several cancer lines, including breast, colon, skin, thyroid and leukemia cells. It has also been shown to inhibit pancreatic cancer cell proliferation.

"Our study advocates the inclusion of vegetables and fruit in our daily diet to help prevent cancer," said Liu, the research paper's coauthor.

The National Institutes of Health supported the five-year study.

Next in their research Liu and Cai plan to design therapies for cancer by finding compounds that are like, but perform better than, apigenin.

Mar 5, 2009 06:09PM FloridaLady wrote:

Fruits and Veggies Cut Cancer Risks

Studies Offer New Insights Into How Plant-Rich Diets Can Offer Protection (continued)

Fruit, Vegetables Lower Head and Neck Cancer Risk continued...

To help settle the issue, National Cancer Institute researchers asked 490,802 AARP members about their typical dietary habits and then followed them for five years. During that time, 787 of them developed head and neck cancer.

Results showed that participants who ate about 12 servings of fruit and vegetables per day were 29% less likely to develop the cancer than those who ate three servings per day. Increasing consumption by just two servings of fruit or vegetables per day was associated with a 6% reduction in head and neck cancer risk, researcher Neal Freedman, PhD, a cancer prevention fellow, tells WebMD.

One serving equals approximately one medium-sized fresh fruit, 1/2 cup of cut fruit, 6 ounces of fruit juice, 1 cup of leafy vegetables, or 1/2 cup of other vegetables.

Broccoli Curbs Breast Cancer Spread

While studies have shown that broccoli and soy offer protection against breast and ovarian cancer, how this occurs has not been well understood, says Erin Hsu, MS, a molecular toxicologist at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Her team's laboratory experiments offer one potential clue, showing that diindolylmethane (DIM), a compound resulting from digestion of cruciferous vegetables, and genistein, a major isoflavone in soy, reduce production of two proteins whose attraction to each other is necessary for the spread of both cancers.

In the experiments, the researchers exposed breast and ovarian cancer cells to purified DIM or genistein. Levels of two proteins known as CXCR4 and CXCL12 that promote breast and ovarian cancer spread dropped.

"In other words, DIM and genistein make the cancers more treatable," Hsu tells WebMD.

Both DIM and genistein are being developed for use in the prevention and treatment for breast cancer, although more extensive toxicological studies are necessary, she says.

Mar 5, 2009 07:06PM StaceyR wrote:

Lisa, I've seen you mention these Zumba classes before and I must admit I'm clueless about this activity!  (uh, google, Stacey..?)  It sounds very active, and you look very fit!

My oncologist was a physiotherapist before she decided to study oncology, so she's the one who leads a lot of the research in this area.  I think she started with men doing treatment for prostate cancer, and has moved over to women with bc.  I feel pretty fortunate that I was in the right city and had the flexibility to commit to the 3-times-weekly schedule.  I did about 10 different weight exercises and 20 minutes of cardio each visit.  I'm sad to say I haven't quite kept up this level of exercise, but I do more yoga at home now, so I feel good about that.

Dx 3/18/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/22/2008 Lumpectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/5/2008 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/5/2008 Breast

Mar 5, 2009 07:26PM anondenet wrote:

Zumba sounds terrific! I wish there were a class nearer to me. Nearest is 35 minutes away.

Don't want to be defined by my stats-- this would be medical hexing.

Mar 5, 2009 07:38PM vivre wrote:

Hey Natural girls. I think it is great that we have a topic that we can talk about different subjects in alternative and complimentary care. It sometimes gets confusing with all these threads with the same topic. There must be 10 of them going about Vit. D. I think we need to a name for our group so I am calling anyone who is on this wave length FriendsThinkingOutsideTheBox or FTOTB for short. Welcome to the club!

Kay, don't beat yourself up about losing weight slowly. That is the only way to keep it off. I only lost about a pound a week. It is about changing eating habits, not counting calories and pounds. Once you get through a few months, you will feel so much better, that you will be motivated to continue. Remember those pounds took years to add up. Rome was not built in a day. Just keep at it. You can do it too! You too Jennifer. I kept changing one thing at a time. First cutting sugar and carbs, then dairy, then adding exercise, etc. Actually I have always liked to exercise. My docs said that is probably what kept me at stage 1. However, I never pumped iron before. Now I do a lot of free weights. Muscle burns more calories than fat. When I started working out an hour every day, the weight really started to fall off. Now I miss it if I skip a day. I either take a 3-4 mile walk, or do and hour of free wts, rebounding, and pilates in front of the TV. I hate gyms.

I must say I did not follow doctors orders from the start. They told me to take it easy and let others take care of me. I live in a house with all males. Yeah right docs! But walking became so cathardic that that is what I did. When I sailed through rads without any fatigue, they admitted that it was a good thing, and even told me they were going to use me as a example.

Stacey, thanks for the recipe. It sounds like one I might like. I will get out the juicer tomorrow and try it.

Mar 5, 2009 08:41PM anondenet wrote:

Yes, V, we need to reorganize the place! But this Natural Girls thread is just a general subject group. I never know when a topic deserves a new thread.

Anyway, those of you near Florida, this doctor is giving a talk on cancer at the Orlando AntiAging conference in April. Have you guys heard anything about him or his protocols?

http://www.alternativecancersolution.com/

>

Don't want to be defined by my stats-- this would be medical hexing.

Mar 5, 2009 09:26PM althea wrote:

Yes, I agree that we already need to start over.  We didn't even get past page one without this thread turning into yet another debate.  LJ13, would you bring pork to a Jewish potluck?  Would you bring a jackhammer to a concert?  Are you unaware of how inappropriate your comments are on this particular thread?  There are plenty of other threads to voice your negativity.  This was started as a thread for building a support net of friendships.  You clearly have a different set of values, and no one is suggesting you relinquish them, but I do think the women who like to explore 'unproven' options for our health are entitled to at least one thread where we can seek sanctuary from your disagreeable nature. 

On that note, how about we call the next thread "Alive to Thrive".  

Listen with a questioning ear. quote from George Ohsawa, founder of macrobiotics Dx 12/22/2004, ILC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 5, 2009 10:31PM Makratz wrote:

Hi Ladies,

Just a thought.  If someone posts anything that is  "negative or sacarstic" why not just ignore the post?  Don't even read them if you know the post is negative and defintiely don't respond to the post.

I wonder if there is a way to become a moderator of a thread to ensure the rules are followed?  Perhaps you should ask the moderators.

Love the thread.  Best of luck to you all.

Linda...♥♥♥ Never, never, never give up ~ Winston Churchill

Page 4 of 1,013 (10,130 results)

Scroll to top button