Topic: natural girls

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment — Complementary medicine refers to treatments that are used WITH standard treatment. Holistic medicine is a term used to describe therapies that attempt to treat the patient as a whole person.

Posted on: Mar 3, 2009 06:59PM

Posted on: Mar 3, 2009 06:59PM

amberyba wrote:

I have tried this before, but wanted to start a thread for us natural girls to build our friendships, share our thoughts and the natural things we are doing. there is a thread called bottle of tamoxifen, that I enjoyed the friendships of, but now that I am off the tamoxi-train and using alternatives, it would be nice to have a support group of women who encourage each other with alternative, complementary and holistic treatment.

Here's to friendship and support.

Amber Almond Dx 2/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 1,013 (10,130 results)

Mar 6, 2009 12:31AM - edited Mar 6, 2009 12:34AM by amberyba

Hi everyone, I was hoping LJ13 would stay off this thread, and like Makraz wrote let us just ignore her, I did think there was a way you could report comments. as I posted that I had once tried to start a thread that  would allow us natural alternative girls to encourage each other LJ13 is the one who put me down and make tried to make me feel worthless.

Stacey, I wrote the juicing recipe down....i have seen kale in the grocery, but have never bought any.

Althea, You always have great insight and I do enjoy reading everything you post.

Vivre, I am taking Vitamin D-3, I did research the idea, asked my gyn to check my levels and mine was 24, normal is 30-100....and I am going to my primary care doctor in about 9 days...he wants to recheck my levels. He told me there is not much out there in the way of recommended doses, but he did recommended 2,000 units for my low level. I use the NOW brand.

I am going to try the flaxoil and cottage cheese starting today. I read that organic oil in the refrigerator section is the best to use....and that organic cottage cheese is suggested too. I just hope they aren't too expensive.

Lisa, i have never heard of Zumba....and you look so fit....amazing.

Kay, i need to loose too...and like vivre said don't beat yourself up....I am going to take that advise too. I was scared after I was diagnosed to diet, I had planned to start a diet after  Christmas 2007, on christmas morning of that year I felt the lump...I made the neccessary appointments and hoped the lump was benign.....(my sister is a 9 year survivor).... I lost 12 pounds before I had my surgery....then I kind of lost heart....was afraid that loosing weight meant the cancer could be spreading.......Now about a year later, I am afraid to get on the scale now...but my family doctor will weigh me in a little over a week.....terror of terrors....ha ha!

Well it is 3:30am here, been up since 2am, and fighting insomnia

Thanks for all the support!

Amber

Amber Almond Dx 2/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 6, 2009 12:44AM amberyba wrote:

ps: ladies I don't know if it will help, but if you notice, beside the time each post is posted (like 5 hrs ago) there is an area that says "report this post" , I think we can click this when we get a sarcastic of negative input, for those that are trying to discourage us. I tried it, and when you click it, you will find a statement that asks if you are sure you want to report the comment. So click away. He he!

May the Lord bless and keep you all...

Flalady, didn't you start the bible verse encourager, I have posted there and read some awesome verses others have submitted!

Amber

Mar 6, 2009 04:54AM JeninMichigan wrote:

Hello girls.   I am new to the board.  I have complimented my med treatment with holistic and alternative methods.  I will not blindly follow my oncologist through this journey.   I am lucky that she has been open to everything I have thrown at her from my naturalist and my own research.  She is one of the rare ones that knows the value of diet and nutrition and preaches fruits, veggies and vitamins.  

I take a product called transfer factor and urge all of you to look at it very closely.  pm if you like. i can't say enough about it.  I have been NED after 3 treatments (june 08) and still remain NED as of two weeks ago!!   I have not had as much as a cold during the whole treatment.  I breeze through rads and am pretty much side effect free with the current herceptin/kyterb/Tamoxifen/Arediea treatment.  

Take a look a this book.   "A Maverick of Medicine Speaks to Women" .. by Dr. Duane Townsend, MD.   If you ask your oncologist or gyn doctor, they will know this man... he likely wrote their text books.   However, he has traveled the alternative route and knows the success.  He open criticizes the corruption in the medical community between pharmaceuticals and insurance companies.   He gives amazing information regarding female health and what we can do naturally (and so easily) to make a huge difference..   I urge all of you to look at this book.  you can get is on Amazon for like $14.95.    I have read it multiple times. 

I love your thread. 

Jennifer 

Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 6, 2009 05:01AM lisasayers wrote:

Thought you may all be interested in reading this blog by Dr. David Brownstein, MD (in Michigan)

Is Conventional Medicine Evidence-based?

An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association (2.25.09. Vol 301. No.8) looked at the scientific evidence underlying the American College of Cardiology (ACC) and the American Heart Association's (AHA) clinical practice guidelines.  These guidelines give doctors recommendations for treating various cardiovascular diseases such as hypertension, heart failure, angina, etc.    For example, the guidelines have stated that a normal blood pressure should be 120/80mmHg.  If it is higher, doctors have to consider medication.  In effect, these guidelines are designed to influence the practice of medicine and serve as templates for how cardiovascular patients should be treated.   These guidelines are based on sound scientific evidence, right?  They are free of bias, right?  These guidelines are the true example of evidence-based medicine, right?  Unfortunately, the correct answer to all three of these questions is "wrong". 

This study found that 48% of the time, the guidelines are based on the lowest levels of evidence.  The accompanying editorial in JAMA (p. 868) stated, "The most widely recognized bias is financial.  Guidelines often have become marketing tools for device and pharmaceutical manufacturers.  Financial ties between guideline panel members and industry are common.  In a study looking at 44 guidelines, 87% of the guideline authors had some form of industry tie."

I am always confronted with the statement that conventional medicine is evidence-based, while holistic medicine is not.  This study would show that statement to be hogwash.  The authors of this study point out that, "The AHA and the ACC's own guidelines are based on lower levels of evidence or expert opinion {which} highlights deficiencies in the sources of definitive data available for the generation of cardiovascular guidelines.  ...Clinicians need to exercise caution when considering recommendations not supported by solid evidence." 

I couldn't agree more with their conclusion.  That is why I am writing my books, newsletter and blog.  Before jumping to the newest and most heavily advertised drug therapy, educate yourself about the benefits and the risks.  Then you can truly use the best evidence to make an informed decision. 

One year cancer FREE 10/24/09! Bilateral with TE 10/24/08, 4 Cycles TC ended 2/6/09, Exchange Surgery 410 Gummie 3/20/09 Dx 9/25/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 6, 2009 05:03AM lisasayers wrote:

Welcome Jennifer.....I'm heading over to Amazon to check out the book now!  Thanks

One year cancer FREE 10/24/09! Bilateral with TE 10/24/08, 4 Cycles TC ended 2/6/09, Exchange Surgery 410 Gummie 3/20/09 Dx 9/25/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 6, 2009 05:52AM anondenet wrote:

Thanks, Lisa, for Dr. Brownstein's blog.

Scroll down on this page to see his video clips. http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/videos

He knows a lot about breast disease and breast cancer. 

Don't want to be defined by my stats-- this would be medical hexing.

Mar 6, 2009 06:13AM vivre wrote:

Anom, thanks for the link to the Fla Doc. He had some very interesting info. Especially concerning the value of chemo. He is proof that more docs are thinking outside the box and integrating their treatments. Let's hope it spreads even more. That new link sounds interesting too. I will check it out!

JenInMich-Welcome to our little club. FTOTB! That sounds like a great book you found. I will definitely look for it. What is transfer factor? That is a new one on me. Wow, we can learn a lot from you! I wish I had your onc! I really like my onc a lot. She was very caring, but strictly msm all the way. After tiring of the debate with her staff about arimidex, I said adios. I have a team of alternative docs now who are monitoring me.

Amber, my D3 level was low twenties too after I finished treatments. I do not know what it was before, my docs never tested it. When I went to a chiro to help me with nutrition, she tested my level. When it came back low, she put me on 6000 IU. After 6 months, I had raised it to 45, which is just borderline. So she said to continue for another 6 months. We tested again and it was 117! So I guess the supplements work! Now I am down to 2-4000 IU. I use drops by Carlson. One drop is 2000 iu so it is easy to take.

Lisa, thanks for the article by Dr Brownstein. It is always great to keep finding the evidence that we are on the right track, even though we have FlaLady and now JenInMich as our inspirations! Would you please give us more details on Zumba? I know you have talked about it before, but I never heard of it around here, and I was a PE teacher. I guess I went to school in  the dark ages. LOL

I am still having a hard time with the flax/cottage cheese thing. I believe that dairy was a huge contributor to my bc, so I avoid it like the plague and I still keep finding such controversial opinions on the flax. What do you gals think? I do use the grape seed oil on my skin. It feels great and is a great antioxidant, and has the same benefits as flax.

Mar 6, 2009 06:33AM JeninMichigan wrote:

Hi Vivre. 

Check out this link

http://www.transferfactor.com/Home/Faq

I won't go into my whole menu here but if you are interested let me know and I can give you all the nitty gritty details.    I have gone to alot of conferences and attend weekly conference calls for this research company.  I spend a small fortune in products but I am convinced of their benefit.   I even have my two daughters on transfer factor.  One has asthma and the other reactive airway disorder.  Since September, they have both been off their meds (ie Singular, Advair, Abuterol treaments, Rhinocort).  They have not had a single episode that they have needed a treatment.  

I have heard so many b/c patients say that their oncologist has told them to take nothing but a vitamin during chemo.  And they struggle so much.  They battle infections and stomach issues.   If you look at this book, he will tell you the opposite.   

I am in a chemical menopause and then the Tamoxifen can make things interesting.  I take Isoflavones and I do not have a single hot flash, mood changes, etc.    Dr. Townsend talks extensively about isoflavones and soy in his book.   It is well worth reading.

If you go to www.4life.com check out the product "Riovida" is amazing. 

Jennifer

Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 4/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+

Mar 6, 2009 07:13AM FloridaLady wrote:

I did a lot of research on Transfer Factor last year.  I did take this while not on chemo.  You can find drug trials posted for this.  They do show benefit again they were not followed through on....

Flalady

trip neg stageIV spread to IBC (2X) & 7 recur's, Treat Alt & Conv

Mar 6, 2009 07:30AM anondenet wrote:

I have taken the 4Life brand Transfer Factor for several years when flying or when I feel a cold coming on. It usually gets rid of any incoming virus.

I have now switched to Livon Labs nanotechnology Vitamin C which is faster, more effective and WAY CHEAPER.

Don't want to be defined by my stats-- this would be medical hexing.

Page 5 of 1,013 (10,130 results)

Scroll to top button