Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

how about drinking?

Comments

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    edited March 2016

Happy Thursday, ladies!

Jazzy, the photo of the spa is beautiful. I can feel the tranquility. What a perfect way to spend your birthday! And a great way to get rid of the yucky stuff in your body. What treatments did you have?

9 days of illness, Oy! That's serious. I'm glad you're felling better.

I probably would've put a shot of vodka in my Theraflu. Just kidding (kind of).

Native, I'm with Fearless. You post delicious cocktail recipes, that also manage to fit whatever topic is going on in the lounge. Brandy would be my libation of choice in today's DOTD. Never optional.:)

I hope you're feeling better. It sounds like you had a nasty cough.

Cami, your family sounds so special, like you all have each other's backs. How wonderful!

"So keep the drinks flowing and the water warm" - Lol!

Goldie, The beefcake photo! Oh my! I'll take one of him to go, please.

Juliet, Mutley is such a cutie! He definitely got it good.

Fearless, Happy belated Birthday!

Memasue, I hope you had a great time in Vegas!

Dara, Those photos are rather cheeky (wah wah). You're in my prayers during this difficult time.

Time to get my dad out of bed. Wishing everyone a fantastic day

• MemaSue56
    MemaSue56 Member Posts: 2,061
    edited March 2016

Morning DahhhhLinks!!

Ahhh I feel revived, got to sleep in this morning. So am late in posting. The heiney check went well…boy would I love to have whatever they put me to sleep with. I think it was prophynal (sp). Anyway, the prep was, as most of you know - HORRID. I was throwing it back up at the end of it. And no sleep cuz of terlet runs all night. Doc said that big polyp he removed last year had started to grow back so he did some deeper scraping. Then, help me understand, my release papers said NO MORE scopes needed due to my dx. Wasn't anything like that on last years papers, makes me think they didn't even read my history. I jes don't get it. OK, enuf ranting.

Had a good time on Sunday at my DS's, but didn't get to see Andrew or Maddy. Sommer was there tho, we had a few giggles, then she was off to hunt eggs. I just learned that Maddy is celebrating her birthday on Sunday, DH and I will definitely be joining them. Guess it's in Laughlin??

Dara - u r just too busy too. You getting to see much of Logan?

Hsant - I wud have put the brandy in the thera-flu.

Jazz - The spa sounds like just the ticket to help us all feel better. I watched a program that said NV has the most natural hot springs. They even use the mud from them for facials n such. Will have to check into it for myself and DH.

Julie - sounds like the big boss is a pita. Hope you got your shot and went right home to bed.

Fearless - Happy belated birthday, it sounds like you had a gr8 time. Your comment about the info you are getting from the gals is the best, and I also like to do my research and the gals always put things in simpler terms. Can't beat it.

NM - sounds like so much stress and bs you have to put up with at work. But I knows those that need you really appreciate the sacrifices you make. You are de bestest!!!

Lowee - so sawee u didn't get a visit with Cami. Hope you are having a wonderful time tho with your family.. I'll take the other beefcake…mmm mmm come to mommy. Love the pic of your sad face, LOL.

Sandy - What a nightmare leaving London. The whole thing leaves me with goosebumps. Glad you finally made it. Just love the pics and your description of all the goings on. Hope there are no more wrinkles in the rest of your trip.

Gotta run, pooches want to go to the park and are bugging the chit outta me. Can't blame them, I am late.

Lubslubslubslubslubs!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969
    edited April 2016

Hi ladies- well I finished my work week on site. I have my Friday things to do but must get out first thing tomorrow to get my license renewed. They give you until a month AFTER your birthday here, and tried to get there a number of times in March while I am thinking about it (during b-day month) but with company visiting, going away, being sick and being a busy bee, had not happened. Besides, I don't want to look horrific in the photo with a puffy pink face, peeling nose, etc. Not like the photos are every good anyways. I was looking at the one today I had around this time 4 years ago right after my mother died and I had a bad cold then. Not pretty!

Fearless- this is a very positive thread and we talk about our cancer stuff here, try to help one another, but think you will find the ladies here are both supportive and try to talk about other things beyond the cancer world. We hope you like it hear and will stay with us.

NM- glad you are doing better. Different showers with different scents? The steam room at the springs had eucalyptus and that really helps the breathing. I would have loved to sample those showers.

I had about three times in late 2012-2013 with surgery and internal rads where I could not shower from anywhere from 10-14 days. During that time, I had a real renewed joy for hot showers. When I have bad allergies, or have been working outside, or had a long travel day, or a cold like I have now, there is nothing better than a hot shower. It continues to be my BFF this week!

Juliet- good to hear your steroid shots were approved. I know many who get them and it seems to really help? Hope you can get in soon and feeling better.

Mema- I have been to hot springs all over the place from Europe, to the Middle East, and around the US. Never to any in NV, although the west is loaded with them in general. If you ever get up to Calistoga, on the north end of Napa, they have the coolest hot spring/mud baths that are not like anything else I have ever done. Been there twice, most recently during my Napa trip in 2009 and did the mud with my SIL.

Hsant- they have the best treatments at this place. I had a foot reflexology treatment my first day, really helps my aching feet and they feel really great. Also helps to get the energy going. I felt so much better the next after that. This therapist that works on my feet is my favorite there and also did a facial massage around my sinus area.

Second treatment was one of the best and had not done this combo before. It included a salt scrub to get off all the dead winter skin, really helps your circulation too, then I rinsed off and she did an hour massage massage and hot oil hair treatment. While I was on my back with the oil in my hair, she wrapped my head in herb infused towels to help my congestion and OMG, was that good too. That was a 100 min treatment with all three things.

I had two gift certificates from Xmas time to this place and that covered the big treatment very nicely. Always great to have gift certs you can really use and enjoy!

Going to relax now and watching Dance with Wolves (again) with my boyfriend Kevin Costner. We may get snow tonight, but hope it's rain.

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2016

BTW, anyone seen this Moderation gal around? LOL!

• juliet62
    juliet62 Member Posts: 3,246
    edited April 2016

shot is on tuesday afternoon so get a half day in work too!

sue-thats weird on your dc papers but yes you do sleep well but don;t get the michael jackson dose!

jazzy glad to hear breathing a little easier

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902
    edited April 2016

Good morning, Loungettes!TGIF!So looking forward to the weekend.Got lots of seedlings popping up in the greenhouse, need to get a look at the garden beds, see if the lawn is dried up enough to start cleaning up. Not to mention getting the windows opened up and the house aired out a bit.Need to get the winter air out and some spring air in.Remember that admission I went into work early to do yesterday?Still waiting for it!Major glitch in the system, and of course I found it. . .

Cammy--hope you and Marty have good coffee!

Hsant--it's fun looking for a cocktail that fits the topic of the day, and to learn about new stuff to drink, glad everyone else enjoys it too!

Mema--No more scopes needed?I'd take that in a heartbeat!The prep is horrid, that's for sure.I probably would have the no more scopes thing verified, though.Way to easy for the tech to click the wrong box before printing out the release papers.I once got information about Asperger's Syndrome after being in the ER for asthma.And despite some glitches with the new system at work it is MUCH better overall.

Jazzy--I think it was Mary that made the best use of the spa.Eucalyptus is great for the sinuses and breathing, I like to add a drop or two of Pine to the eucalyptus for the antiviral properties.Driver's License photos never look very good, do they?Not being able to take a shower is a real hardship.I went through the no shower thing from halfway through rads to 3 months due to the burning, and then another 3 months the following summer due to the open wounds and infection from the rads and then the mastectomy.I was so happy when I found out that the plastic surgeon insisted on a daily shower starting on day 3 in the hospital after recon, even with 4 drains in place!The only thing better than a hot shower is a soak in a hot tub after a hot shower.Oh, my what a lovely treatment combo you got!

Julie--half day then a shot, YIKES, sounds like a lot of ouch in one day!

Princess Leia of Maine's DOTD:

April Shower

1 oz Brandy

1/4 oz Benedictine

1 oz Orange Juice

Directions

Shake over ice in a shaker. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and serve.

Best served in a Cocktail Glass.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited April 2016

Hi all, finally home! But oh my, had some not so good days. Spent one entire day in the ER with mom. Had to call 911, she was having trouble breathing. HELLO, you have chronic COPD! So all day in there, just to be sent home with a UTI. Then she wants to move, mad at my son, starts saying she doesn't trust him, afraid he's going to come in and shoot her while she's sleeping. Well he heard all that. Then the two of them sort of get into it. Anyways it was a cry all day situation. So then we take another day, to take her to the assisted living place (The Towers). You have no idea how hard it is to get her out of the house, in and out of the car, in and out of The Towers. Back home, and back into the house. Every little spot you hit, you have to grab her o2 for her, keep it on her. Oh and her purpose for going there was to die. She told a friend and her aide, that she wasn't going to take anymore of her pills. She had to put in a sort of 911 to her nurse. Her nose was bleeding, and wouldn't stop. She is on Zeralto. The nurse told her she can't be there by herself. If she has to call 911 and my son is not there, paramedics can't get in because of the dog. And he doesn't listen to her. HUGE black german shepherd. As of yesterday, she is not going to The Towers. So a wasted day for me and my brother, gas and taking two vehicles! Oy Vey!

Onc visit went well. He told me I could try and up my FU pills, oh I can't wait. That was my original dose, and made me sicker than chit. But I have been on it for a year now, so maybe I can tolerate it. If they continue to go up, then it's on to Ibrance. So I'm good for now anyways.

Cami, I don't have anymore pictures, just the one of me and my friends and my sad face one. I can take more of me if you like....LOL!

I'll start responding to everyone tomorrow. I have read everyone's post. Lots of work for me to catch up on.

Don't let anyone fool ya today!

• heidi s
    edited April 2016

3 Edible shot glasses

Take a shot, eat the 'glass'

Everything is more fun in miniature, even when it comes to these cocktails. These mini cocktail shooters, served in edible shot glasses made of fruits and vegetables, are a fun party idea that won't leave your guests in need of a cab. Take a sip or pop the whole thing in your mouth.

Watermelon shooters with watermelon margaritas

Ingredients:

• 12 watermelon shot glasses, see below
    • 1-1/2 ounces tequila
    • 1/2 ounce triple sec
    • 1 ounce sweet and sour mix
    • 1 small watermelon slice
    • 1/4 lime
    • Ice

Directions:

1. Cut watermelon off the rind and place in a martini shaker with lime. Muddle well. Add tequila, triple sec and sweet and sour mix. Shake with ice. Strain into a measuring cup and pour into watermelon shot glasses.

To make watermelon shot glasses, scoop out watermelon balls with a 1-1/2-inch ice cream scooper. Cut a small slice off the bottom. Use a melon baller to scoop the insides out from the top, being careful not to puncture.

Cherry tomato shooters with bloody marys

Ingredients:

• 12 cherry tomato shot glasses, see below
    • 1-1/2 ounces vodka
    • 1 ounce bloody mary mix
    • 1 lime wedge
    • Horseradish, to taste
    • Ice

Directions:

1. Mix vodka, bloody mary mix, squeeze of lime and horseradish over ice. Strain into a measuring cup and pour into tomato shot glasses.

To make tomato shot glasses, cut the top off cherry tomatoes. Using a small paring knife, cut around the inside of the tomato and scoop out seeds and flesh, being careful not to puncture.

Cucumber shooters with cucumber-mint cocktails

Ingredients:

• 15-20 cucumber shot glasses, see below
    • 1-1/2 ounces cucumber vodka
    • 1 ounce sweet and sour mix
    • 1/4 lime
    • 5 small mint leaves, torn
    • 1 tablespoon chopped cucumber
    • Ice

Directions:

1. Place lime, mint leaves and chopped cucumber in a martini shaker. Muddle well. Add vodka and sweet and sour mix. Shake with ice. Strain into a measuring cup and pour into cucumber shot glasses.

To make cucumber shot glasses, cut 3/4-inch lengths of cucumber. Using a melon baller, scoop out insides, leaving the bottom intact.

• nativemainer
    edited April 2016

Good morning, Loungettes!Got through April Fools day without any pranks, for which I am very glad.Some April Fool jokes are funny but lots are just mean and I really do not like that sort.Going to clean out the car and take Sadie for a ride to see Mom and Dick today.Hoping the rain stays away.

Goldie--oh, my, your Mom sounds like a feisty one.And what a couple of days you had with her! Glad the onc visit went well.

Hsant--ooh, love the idea of edible shot glasses!Those look like so much fun!

Princess Leia's DOTD:Hsants mini shots with edible shot glasses!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited April 2016

GOOD MORNING LADIES,

WOW LOTS OF THINGS AND THOUGHTS. AND I DIDN'T REALIZE I MISSED A WHOLE DAY EITHER.

LORI I'M GLAD U'R HOME, I KNOW U WANT TO SEE U'R SON AND U'R MOM, BUT THERE IS SO MUCH DRAMA THERE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S GETTING WORSE. OF COURSE I FEEL BAD FOR U'R MOM, BUT U'R SON MUST HAVE SO MUCH PATIENCE AND I KNOW THIS IS SO STRESSFUL FOR U AND I FEEL FOR U AND U CAN TAKE ALL KINDS OF PICS OF U--SEE WE LOVE U.--I DID MISS U THO ALOT.

AND I THINK WE ALL AGREE WE ENJOY THE DOTD'S THAT NM TAKE THE TIME TO PUT TOGETHER FOR US, THE Y FIT OUR DAY AND SOUND YUMMY ON TOP OF IT. AND NM WE KNOW HOW BUSY U ARE AND ALL U DO, U R SUCH A DEDICATED NURSE, ONE OF THE HARDEST JOBS THERE IS (I THINK) AND JULIE U ANOTHER ONE U GIVE SO MUCH OF U'R SELF TO U'R JOB AND TAKE ALOT OF.PROBLEMS PHYSICALLY FOR U. I'M SO GLAD U HAVE DW TO RELAX WITH MICKEY (MOUSE THAT IS)

JAZZY U MAKE ME JEALOUS (BUT NICELY) OF ALL U DO AND THE SPA JUST SOUNDS LIKE THE THING I WANT TO DO FOR A WEEKEND. MY OLDEST DD USED TO GO EVERY YEAR, NOW I WANT TO SEE IF SHE CAN START THIS UP AGAIN.

HSANT U ANOTHER VERY INTERESTING LADY, I SO ENJOY U'R POSTS.

HOW R U DOING SANDY? STILL GOING STRONG. I MISSED WHEN U R COMING HOME, BUT THIS HAS TO BE SO MUCH FUN FOR U. I HOPE U'R FEELING WELL.

SUSYQ I DON'T UNDERSTAND (AS USUAL) WHY U WERE PUT DOWN AS NO MORE SCOPES. IS THAT HOW I READ IT? I DON'T GET IT REALLY. OF COURSE NO SCOPES SOUNDS GOOD TO ME, BUT I KNOW THEY HAVE TO BE DONE. U DO HAVE AN INCREDIBLE AMOUNT OF ENERGY THO, AND THAT'S GOOD.

OH CHIT I'M IN A CATCH 22, IN ORDER TO HAVE SOMEONE COME TO MY HO,ME FOR BLOODWORK, I HAVE TO SEE MY DR FOR THE WRITE UP. WELL IF I DIDN'T HAVE THIS D ALMOST EVERYDAY I COULD GET MY TESTS DONE. BUT YET THEY EXPECT ME TO GO TO AN APP'T, CHIT IF I CAN PLAN ANYTHING, I WOULD GO DO MY TEST. THIS D HAS TURNED MY LIFE UPSIDE DOWN, I WAS EVEN TALKING ON THE PHONE TO A CUSTOMER AND I STARTED SO I HURRIED THE CALL UP AND HE WAS TALKING AWAY, OF ALL TIMES. OH WELL

IF I MISSED ANYONE, I'M SORRY, I HAVEN'T HAD MY COFFEE YET-SO I WISH U ALL A GREAT DAY AND BOTTOMS UP.

I LUBS U ALL

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited April 2016

• goldie0827
    edited April 2016

Hsant, I LOVE the watermelon glass. People can be so creative! Not me tho.

NM, you and Sadie have a wonderful day together. Needing to see picks of your garden. I took Romain lettuce and celery, cut the bottoms off and set them in a bowl of water. They are growing! Not a lot, but It's a fun experiment. The celery is growing faster than the lettuce. I don't know that I'll actually get celery, but the leaves would be good for cooking with. I think it will take a while before I get enough lettuce for a salad!

Cami, it was a horrible few days. I just wish my mom would do more forherself. My son was home one day, had the day off. She said she was just going to stay in her room so she could have room service. Yesterday her nose was bleeding, she asked my son to put the dog in his cage before he left for work, so she could call 911 for the nose bleed! She's always saying "I had a bleed today". I understand the D problems. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go!!!

NM/Julie, is that a common medical term? I had a bleed.

Thunder Boys looking might fine. We girls that went to Vegas and saw the Chippendales……OH MY! Heading to town today. Yesterday was catch up at work day! Missing those that aren't popping in. CheerZ

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2016

Good morning loungettes- I hope everybody is looking forward to a nice weekend.

Cami- there you go posting photos of hot men first thing in the morning. I am afraid at this point in my life, I am not sure I would remember what to do with something hot like that? Ha ha, I could give it a try though, how about you?

I watched something on GetTV yesterday and thought of you. We talk a lot here about the old TV shows, like I Love Lucy. After I was finished with work yesterday, I was watching a re-run of the Merv Griffin Show. I remember this show from when I was a kid, never watched it much as I was too young to be interested. But yesterday it had a host of the old actors on including the very glamorous Joan Crawford and the very debonair John Wayne. Sound of Music was the big movie going to the Oscars that year, which upon looking that up, was released in 1965! I was fascinated by the whole thing, and thought "I was five when this show was on the air." Then I watched a 1961 film called The Devil At 4 O'Clock that featured Spencer Tracy and a very young Frank Sinatra. That was really good too, and funny to see the special effects from that era. Anyways, I took a little step back into the decade I was born and it was kind of fun!

Wishing they could get the D thing worked out. I have been on the phone too when things like that strike. Yikes, only so many options especially with work.

Hsant- I love fruit soaked in alchohol. My fav thing when I have a cold (like now) is to drink grand marnier and put in some orange slices. I have the GM, but no oranges but may pick some up today. You know, I do this for my cold, right?

Goldie- I wanted to say I really send you BIG HUGS around the mom thing. We went through SO MUCH with our mother before she became very ill and then after. Fought us tooth and nail on everything. My mother and I never had a good relationship and it got purely ugly at one point. Aging is hard, we know this, but parents that make it hard on everyone is the worst. I have great empathy here for your situation.

Going to breakfast with a friend and must run but next time, want to talk about the new trend of "drunk shopping" with you!

• MemaSue56
    edited April 2016

Thi s is what I wrote yesterday, but my puter kept going off line and I couldn't post it...so here it is.

Morning DahhhhLinks!!

Ahhh I feel revived, got to sleep in this morning. So am late in posting. The heiney check went well…boy would I love to have whatever they put me to sleep with. I think it was prophynal (sp). Anyway, the prep was, as most of you know - HORRID. I was throwing it back up at the end of it. And no sleep cuz of terlet runs all night. Doc said that big polyp he removed last year had started to grow back so he did some deeper scraping. Then, help me understand, my release papers said NO MORE scopes needed due to my dx. Wasn't anything like that on last years papers, makes me think they didn't even read my history. I jes don't get it. OK, enuf ranting.

Had a good time on Sunday at my DS's, but didn't get to see Andrew or Maddy. Sommer was there tho, we had a few giggles, then she was off to hunt eggs. I just learned that Maddy is celebrating her birthday on Sunday, DH and I will definitely be joining them. Guess it's in Laughlin??

Dara - u r just too busy too. You getting to see much of Logan?

Hsant - I wud have put the brandy in the thera-flu.

Jazz - The spa sounds like just the ticket to help us all feel better. I watched a program that said NV has the most natural hot springs. They even use the mud from them for facials n such. Will have to check into it for myself and DH.

Julie - sounds like the big boss is a pita. Hope you got your shot and went right home to bed.

Fearless - Happy belated birthday, it sounds like you had a gr8 time. Your comment about the info you are getting from the gals is the best, and I also like to do my research and the gals always put things in simpler terms. Can't beat it.

NM - sounds like so much stress and bs you have to put up with at work. But I knows those that need you really appreciate the sacrifices you make. You are de bestest!!!

Lowee - so sawee u didn't get a visit with Cami. Hope you are having a wonderful time tho with your family.. I'll take the other beefcake…mmm mmm come to mommy. Love the pic of your sad face, LOL.

Sandy - What a nightmare leaving London. The whole thing leaves me with goosebumps. Glad you finally made it. Just love the pics and your description of all the goings on. Hope there are no more wrinkles in the rest of your trip.

Gotta run, pooches want to go to the park and are bugging the chit outta me. Can't blame them, I am late.

Lubslubslubslubslubs!

• MemaSue56
    edited April 2016

Lowee - now I see that you didn't have such a good time. My heart aches for you and your son, of course, prayers out for your mom. Looks like you really do have a green thumb, plants look good and healthy. I still have the pic of some of us posing with the Chippendates...oh my is right!

Cami - Can to call ur Doc and see if they can fax the order over to the nurse? I feel horrible for you, guess u decided not to do the poo transfer. ((((Cami))))

Hsant - too cool, little watermelon and lime dwinks. I saw something similar on one of the morning shows, makes me wish I had a melon baller.

Jazz - we watch old movies on Turner Classic. I find myself watching even the silent (w/captions) ones. I remember racing home from grade school to watch Johnny Crawford on Rifleman. The bfs and I would just swoon when he pulled out his guitar and started singing...he was sooo cute. Guess he went on and cut some records too. Ahh the good times.

NM - hope the rain stayed away and you and Sadie have a nice visit.

Lubs ya all...to da moon n back!

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2016

Hi ladies. Hope everyone is having s great weekend. It's definitely spring in the south and was a beautiful day today. DH & I are in NC for the weekend visiting family and to celebrate my granddaughters 10th birthday. I used to live near my children and grands but moved back home to Georgia a little more than 4 years ago. So I make every moment count when I come up to visit them.

Hsant--what a neat idea for the edible shot "glasses." Thanks for sharing.

Jazzy--DH & I watch a lot of old television shows also. So much better than some of the shows on these days. We watch Decades, ME and Antenna channels that show old shows. I can't remember the network we watch older movies on. We both love sports also so we spend a lot of time watching games. We are now watching basketball (and enjoying a glass of cab).

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2016

Fearless- your weekend with family sounds really nice. I hope your GD had an awesome birthday.

I went to breakfast today with an old friend I have not seen in awhile, and had a great catch up visit. She is a great wine connoisseur and was in France last year and brought home two cases. We are going to drink some wine on my patio in May, once it warms up a bit more, and she will bring a bottle from her case for the event.

I am enjoying a glass of the french rose Impatience tonight, finally opened it up with the feeling I could have a glass being weaned off the cold medicine. My taste buds are a bit off still, but the french rose does work!

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,004
    edited April 2016

i Girls! Happy Saturday to you all, hope everyone is having a fab weekend! I stayed up all night last night doing spring cleaning. Washed some curtains, cleaned blinds, cleaned ceiling fans and wiped down kitchen cabinets. It was very mild so had the sliding door in my kitchen opened all de way. Was dwinking too but duhhhhh!! lol.

Lori, so sorry that your trip was not fun for you, your Mom and the rest of your family is in my prayers. Yeah, we sure had a good time seeing the Chip n Dale's in Vegas. I still crack up at Mema Sue's comments which I will not mention here lmao!!! Here is a flashback from a wonderful time indeed!

Hope the pic shows up, from the left is Lori (Goldie), Me (with mese tongue hanging out), Allison and my goil Mema Sue. This was taken just before seeing the Chippendales, oh WHAT A SHOW they put on!! Anyway, Lori, hope you do okay with the FU pills, hugs to ya!

Jazzy, were you born in 1960 too? I too enjoy watching some of the shows from my childhood, brings back such warm memories of times when life was so easy! Glad you had a nice visit and breakfast with your friend! And hope the ole taste buds git back to normal soonliest.

NM, hope you had a good visit with your Mom and Dick. And hope Sadie did too but know she did! How are the seedlings in the greenhouse doing, any sprouts yet? This is a great time of year, so glad to see the winter come to an end, uphill from here!! Enjoy the rest of your well deserved weekend.

Mema, good that your scope went well. I too love the drug Propofol, good chit indeedy! it is so much kinder than the old anesthesia which made me sick and made me cry. I can certainly see the appeal that Michael Jackson had with that drug. I would not mind abusing it now and then lol. I hope you are feeling well and have lots of energy to do what it is that you do :)

Feerless, Happy Belated birthday and hope your g'daughter also had a great birthday. Glad you are coming back into the lounge to hang with all of these wonderful lounge lizards! Muah!

Cammy, I so hate that you have to deal with that freaking D all of the time, it is ridiculous that no one can seem to help you with that. I can relate as I chit my pants more than I'd like to admit but for the damn D to keep you from even entertaining the idea of going out to do something fun for yourself is just the pits. I feel so so bad for you, love. I pray so hard that relief comes your way soon. And how sweet of your employer to offer to pay for your pricey meds, so so sweet. I love ya goil, from the moon and back again. Hoping and praying that better days are coming your way!!

Hsant, thanks for your prayers, you are so sweet. Hope you are doing well and enjoying life but I tink you are! I also loved the edible shot glasses, yummmmmmmy!

Julie, I need to find your permanent boss and toss that beotch into the swamp land down there, what an arse. I hope you were able to get the steroid injections and hope more that you are feeling better. i miss ya goil.

I will be celebrating Easter tomorrow with mese family. My two sisters were away on a cruise and did not return until late last Sunday so wese sailabrating tomorrow. My DD and my bootiful grandson will be there too, I am so furcited to see everyone, has been awhile. Have not seen my sisters since the day of my Dad's funeral.

I am working on laundry now and doing a little more Spring cleaning duties. I have to wait for the washer and dryer then get all of my washable throw rugs in the next load. And I have to make mese anuuder Jack n Diet too! Wooo hoooooo for Saturday nights!

Enjoy one and all, hello to everyone that I did not address and hope ye all have a great upcoming week!!

ChEErS!

• nativemainer
    edited April 2016

Good morning, Loungettes! Happy Sunday Funday! Had a lovely sleep in with Sadie's head tucked under my chin this ayem.Of course that was after she woke me up barking furiously at some critter outside around 2 ayem!She want to get out and chase whatever it was so much, and was not interested in my explanations that black kitties with white stripes are NOT good playmates. Gotta love the energy, though!

Cammy--it's fun finding good DOTDs, and fun to see what other people think up, too!Are you saying you can have someone come to the house to draw blood, but you have to go to a doctor's appointment first?That makes no sense whatsoever.

I saw the Thunder From Down Under guys once, years ago, in Las Vegas.Still have thesouvenir glass!It was a fun show.

Goldie--I've heard that celery leaves are good for cooking, I've always used the leaves as well as the stalks when making stocks for soups.I wonder if you put it in a pot once it roots it will grow up to be a real celery?I bet you can get a lot of lettuce that way.Shaking my head over your Mom wanting to stay in for room service, and calling 911 for a nose bleed.Medically when we say someone had a bleed we are usually talking about a large amount of blood, like a bleeding ulcer or from a big/deep cut, and sometimes it refers to a stroke, the less common kind where there is bleeding in the brain, not the most common kind caused by a blood clot. You might want to mention to your Mom that calling 911 when she doesn't need to go to the ER may end up costing her money--lots of places are starting to charge fees for non-emergency calls to 911.

BANGOR, Maine — Last year, one Bangor resident called for emergency assistance 171 times. Another person called first responders to their home only to ask the firefighter to hand them an out-of-reach TV remote control.

In response to a growing number of calls for aid that Bangor's emergency responders say shouldn't be necessary, the Fire Department wants the city to start charging fees to people or institutions who frequently call for help when no one needs to be taken to a hospital.

"We're not trying to penalize these people," Fire Chief Tom Higgins told members of the city's Government Operations Committee during a meeting Monday night. "We're trying to get them to make a more appropriate decision."

Among the most frequent calls for Bangor EMTs and firefighters are lift assists — situations in which an elderly or disabled person can't get up or move from one location to another under their own power.

"We want to do the right thing by these people, but when we've come 20 or 30 times, it gets to be a drain," Higgins said.

Under the proposal, an individual who requests help without being taken to the hospital between four and eight times in a year would be charged $25 per vehicle that dealt with those calls. Once they exceed nine requests, that would jump to $125 per vehicle. Someone who requests emergency responders three or fewer times without an emergency wouldn't be charged.

There would be larger fees for institutions, such as assisted living complexes, which would pay $25 per responding vehicle up to the third nonemergency call in one year, and $125 per vehicle after the fourth call.

Some facilities have "no lift" policies, which bar employees from picking up people who have fallen or are struggling to move from one spot to another, usually for insurance reasons. That means when someone can't get up, those institutions call Bangor firefighters for help.

"If we get a call, we need to respond," Higgins said, but deploying an ambulance and firetruck is costly. When a person isn't taken to a hospital, the Fire Department can't bill insurance or an individual for services and has to swallow the costs.

This new fee wouldn't be intended to drive revenue, however, Higgins said. He hopes the city would never have to leverage these fees against anyone. Instead, the fees are meant to be preventative. If someone is consistently having trouble getting around under their own power, they should be seeking alternative living arrangements where someone — whether it be a family member or staff person — is available to help them.

Higgins and Patty Hamilton, director of Bangor Public Health, said they work together to try to ensure that individuals who frequently call on emergency personnel can find access to better living arrangements and not rely as heavily on EMTs when there isn't an immediate health problem.

"While a need does exist for assistance for those unable to perform certain tasks, the Fire Department is not always the appropriate institution to be filling that need," Higgins said.

For example, the person who called dispatch services for help 171 times last year is now in an assisted living facility.

Bangor City Council will review the proposed fees and may recommend changes before deciding whether to institute them.

Follow Nick McCrea on Twitter at @nmccrea213.

From <http://bangordailynews.com/2016/03/21/news/bangor/bangor-considers-fees-for-excessive-nonemergency-calls/>

Jazzy--that cinematic step back in time sounds like it was a blast!I like to catch the old black and white horror movies, the special effects are extremely effective without taking over the show, like the high tech effects often do nowadays.AND they had real story lines!

Mema--we got a little rain yesterday, We've got a wind advisory up for later today, but I don't think we're going to get any more rain.Hope not, anyway, want to hang out some laundry today!

Fearless--don't blame you for spending whatever time you can with the family! Happy B-day to the granddaughter!

Jazzy--yummy, yummy!

Dara!Good to see you!Spring cleaning, I need to do some of that, too. Not today though, temps back in the 30s and 40s, will wait for a day like Thursday when it's in the 50s and 60s again!WOW, fun pic!Got sprouts of tomatoes, cucumbers, forget-me-nots, clamatis and oxalis so far.So much fun to putter in the dirt.Can't quite do anything with the outside gardens yet, though, still frozen in spots.

Princess Leia of Maine's DOTD:

Thunder Drink

1 1/2 oz Brandy

1 Egg Yolk

1 tsp Powdered Sugar

1 pinch Cayenne Pepper

Directions

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

Best served in a Cocktail Glass.

• goldie0827
    edited April 2016

Jazzy, I have some oranges for the GM. We can share. I have a great relationship with my mom. Heck, if I didn't, it might be easier! She just thinks she's Queen. Which is what we've been calling her lately. Queen Marilynn!

Ha Ha LDB, you did make that post. Look at the top of the page. Glad your scope was clean. Chippendales were so fun!

Fearless, Happy Birthday to your GD. Glad you are getting time in with family.

Jazzy, enjoy your French Rose and your may company. How nice that she is bringing the wine.

Dara, my whacko dear. I don't remember Sue's comments. But I do remember you almost getting thrown out! In the picture, I am far left, with Dara next to me and Sue far right. I hope you can share some pictures when you have Easter with the family. Ooooh, and sweet lil Logan too. Pwease!

NM, my mother is just NUTS. And that is what I call her. Ever since she told me she want some diamond earrings for Christmas. Cheap ones, small diamond with screw on backs. But don't spend anymore than about $20.00. I said "what are you, nuts? Diamond earrings for $20.00?" If Queen Marilynn wants to call 911, she will. She is also a shopaholic with catalogs. Had 2 bills that came. Close to $1000.00 and said she's not paying them, she can't. And proceeded to throw them in the trash! Have not heard of oxalis, I looked it up, says there over 900 species of it! For some reason, I have not had much luck with the cucumbers. Enough to eat with a few meals, but that's about it.

I will be working in the garden today. Getting a few more things planted and water bags put on them.

• goldie0827
    edited April 2016

Way Way Back. I must be about 6 or 7

• Fearless1956
    Fearless1956 Member Posts: 41
    edited April 2016

Good morning all! A cool morning here in the Carolinas. DH and I will be heading back to Georgia later on today. Once I get home I have to get in my walk/run as part of my training. About 7 years ago when I was going through a bad divorce, I got into running as a stress reliever. I ran for several years and then once I moved back to Georgia, I started falling by the wayside and got out of my routine. Plus I came up with every excuse under the sun not to run or exercise. Now, after my cancer diagnosis this past October and finishing up with radiation and getting started on anastrozole, I know that for my health, I need the exercise. So to give myself more motivation, I asked my sister and daughter to join me in running the Peachtree Road Race in ATL on July 4th. I've run it before and it's great fun. So, we are signed up and I have to get my butt in gear and get my training back on a consistent basis

Great pictures, Goldie. Always interesting to learn more about people through pictures. Gotta figure out how to upload pics here to share with you all.

Dara, love your pic also. How is it that some of you on this board are able to get together in person? That's pretty cool! Looks like you were all having a great time. Enjoy your special time with your sisters. There's nothing that beats family time.

Native, another interesting DOTD. I am not sure if I could stomach raw egg yolk and cayenne pepper in a drink. One of my favorite drinks is an Espresso Martini. It's a simple drink with one part espresso vodka (Three Olives or Vail are my favorites) to one part Baileys Irish Cream. Put it in a shaker with a small amount of ice, shake and pour into martini glass. Nice sipping drink, especially on a cool night..

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2016

Good morning friends and happy Sunday Funday, as some of you call it (and I like that!)

Goldie- ha ha, we used to call my mother "the Queen" too in her day! I think it sort of goes with moms as they get older, they have done a lot to raise up families, take care of the home, their spouses, working too for some, and doing a thousand things every day. We know that too as we all do it as well? I am glad you have a good relationship with her, that will make it a bit easier with the "queen behavior!" Your mom is lovely too, I can tell you are fond of her (even if she can be frustrating). What is that expression, aging ain't for sissy's?

NM- I have several friends who have gone through trying to manage the 911 calls with their aging parents. I had a friend here whose mother had advancing dementia and calling 911 was her solution to everything. Fortunately, her daughter was able to negotiate when they just needed a doctor's apt or something else, but it was a constant conversation.

That article is a very good one about how the fird depts are faced with these calls a lot. Interesting that some of the group living situations absolve themselves of picking up those who have fallen due to insurance/liability issues, and put it on the fire dept to save the day. Surely the rates charged at those places (and yes, our family has paid for those or otherwise seen those bills) should include that in their costs?

Fearless- good for you to keep up with your exercise. I have been out of that the past few weeks with the cold, but did some yoga class night on the patio and plan to hit the gym today to get back into it. Exercising is important for our overall health, and to keep our risk down although not everyone is able to exercise after treatment. I hope your travel home is safe and easy.

Dara- yes dear, child of 1960.

It is nippy here this morning, low 30s but was out to do some patio cleaning in my attempt to get my backyard in shape to be ready for patio time! Made some good progress between last night to this morning. Now I am drinking some more java and going to shift gears soon for tasty crepes with my friend.

Wishing everyone a good day!

• heidi s
    edited April 2016

Happy Sunday!

Well, it's been a rough few days with my dad. He has so many fears and intense feelings of self doubt. On one hand it breaks my heart, because these irrational fears affect his quality of life, but on the other it pisses me off, because it affects his quality of life (if that makes sense). So, the latest is his fear of choking. I've been aware of this for a while, but what I didn't realize until a few days ago is he's not eating. At all. He's been putting his food in a napkin or cup and throwing it out, leaving just a little on the plate to make it look like he's eaten. Keeping weight on him is challenging under the best of circumstances, and he already drinks 4 Ensures a day in order to get a significant amount of calories/nutrition. When I realized what he was doing, I lost it. I tend to fly off the handle when I get scared. And I'm scared. My dad was always the voice of reason, the logical one amongst the craziness known as my mother (whom I loved dearly and miss everyday). He knows that he doesn't have any physical issues with respect to swallowing, and that his fear is psychological, but nevertheless he can't seem to get past it. So now I sit with him and encourage him to eat, tell him to take a sip of juice after he's swallowed, etc. Man, it's depressing!

So, the hubs calls me yesterday to let me know that he's found an independent/assisted living facility in our neighborhood. What DH refuses to accept is that my dad makes his own decisions, that he's perfectly content living with his brother. Plus, he has an amazing doctor here, who will not only see him on a moment's notice, knows his medical history, but was a colleague of my father's when my dad was still practicing medicine. I just didn't have the energy to get into it with the hubs...again. Inevitably, it turns into an argument. I told him I would look into it.

Whew, thanks! I just needed to vent.:)

On a happier note, there was an informal wine tasting at the local grocery store yesterday. They had a bunch of interesting bottles open for a quarter per taste. Mainly from Italy, but a few from the west coast. I'm partial to California, Washington and Oregon Reds, and I tried a really nice CA Zinfandel, called Cigar Zin. I bought a bottle ($15) and will probably open it next weekend.

Native, I have so much respect and admiration for people who garden. Unfortunately, I can't keep a cactus alive. What do you grow? What is the benefit of a hot house vs. an outdoor garden? Not going to lie. I'm jealous you had a good snuggle with Sadie this morning.

Goldie, you've obviously had a rough time with mom, who is gorgeous BTW. And stylish! Lord, I can relate. My mother had a certified shopping disorder. I remember over hearing a conversation between my parents when I was around 12. My mother wanted diamond studs, one carat PER EAR. My father's response was, Jane you don't have pierced ears. My mom came back with well, that will give me incentive to get my ears pierced. Said the woman who refused to get mammograms for fear of pain. When we had a house sale after my dad sold his home, about 30% of my mother's designer clothes still had tags attached. Queen Marilynn is no doubt fabulous and deserves diamonds in her ears.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/diamond-stud-earrings-in-10k-white-gold-1-10-ct.-t.w?ID=2050485&pla_country=US&CAGPSPN=pla&CAWELAID=120156340002766024&catargetid=120156340000913369&cadevice=t&cm_mmc=Google_Jewelry_Fine_PLA_PLA-_-Fine+Jewelry_Earrings+-+GS_Stud+Earrings-_-60316430062_-_-_mkwid_woZeGWaJ%7Cdt_60316430062%7C-%7CwoZeGWaJ&gclid=CjwKEAjw_oK4BRDym-SDq-aczicSJAC7UVRtckibOs0fUfgCkv-g3DAxaf_9UVSnEtNCQ9J1zQvW2xoCkMrw_wcB

Jazzy, I've had the scrub/massage, and it is amazing! All of your treatments sound incredible. Grand Marnier soaked oranges sounds divine. Healthy! You get your vitamin C!

Dara, that photo is 50 shades of awesome. You ladies are gorgeous! And the shoes are fantastic! I have sandals on the mind, sorry.

Most importantly, I get the true friendship between you ladies. So lovely to witness.

I don't know if you were joking about imbibing while cleaning, but I had a conversation with a friend yesterday, and we both agreed a cocktail is important when doing heavy (or semi heavy) or light cleaning. Um, yeah cleaning in general.

Fearless, Charleston and Atlanta are two cities on my bucket list to visit.

Memasue, Happy thoughts wafting your way

Cami, Thunder from down under. I'll take mr. 3 from my left. The one with all those tats. Why? Because he's obviously smart and e could get into a productive political debate! Anyway, just wait in' for him to come round my house.

Ending with a great quote from Cami: "Keep the drinks flowing and the water warm"!

• nativemainer
    edited April 2016

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy chilly Monday, as in 15 degrees.At least it's 15 degrees ABOVE the donut!Talk about frosty out there this ayem.And didn't the wind howl yesterday afternoon, so much fun to listen to, even if the power was blinking on and off.Made me very glad to have a Sadie sized bed warmer last night, though.

Goldie--Your Mom sounds a bit like mine, thinks prices should be the same as they were 70 years ago.And what is it with catalog and HSN shopping with our elders?At least my Mom is too penny pinching to go that road, but so many of the people I see every day got into real financial trouble buying from catalogs or off HSN.And then there are the elders who respond to every mailing asking for money and literally donate themselves into poverty.So sad.And if people are going to call 911, they will, and no fee will stop them.I'm so jealous that you can be outside in your garden already.Nice pics of your Mom!Glamour Shots are a lot of fun.At least she is smiling in all the pics! Great throwback pic, too!

Fearless--Good for you for getting back into running!I admire runners.I have all I can do to motivate myself to go up and down a flight of stairs.That Espresso Martini sounds very yummy!I may have to try that one.I generally don't like cold coffee, but that may be an exception.

Jazzy--the assisted living facilities with"no lift" policies are real challenge to work with sometimes.When we have a patient in one they will often call us (Hospice) and have the on call nurse come out and get people up cuz they aren't allowed to.They are also often very young adults just entering the working world with minimal (if any) training.They get lots of talking to about resident's dignity, and can't do anything if the resident says "no".I once got an on call to go to an assisted living facility to change a patient who had not been changed for 3 days because he kept saying "no."3 days of pee and poop in his pants.Three of them stood there watching me struggle with this man to get him cleaned up, as in basic hygiene, but couldn't touch him because he was saying "no".I did not put pants on him, left him with the diaper on as he was in bed and not getting out of bed and one of the girls was upset: "what about his dignity?"I turned and looked at her and asked her how his dignity was served sitting in his own excrement and urine for 3 days?Of course she reported me to the administration for being rude to her.Oh, dear, I seem to have climbed up on one of my soap boxes again!

Hsant--You really are having a time with your Dad, aren't you.I'm not sure an assisted living setting would be much help with your Dad, they can't make him eat.Is your Dad being treated for depression?Self doubt and fears can be an expression of depression.Having a good doc is a good thing, so moving him may not be helpful in that regard.And you are welcome to come and vent any time.Maybe you can have your hubs talk to your Dad about the assisted living facility and let him see how your Dad reacts.Or maybe your Dad will react to the suggestion from him better than from you. Who knows? The benefit to having a hot house in this part of the world is extending the gardening season.The growing season is so short that planting from seed in the ground isn't practical for most crops, so starting seeds this time of year is really necessary, unless you want to spend a lot more buying seedlings when it's finally warm enough to plant, which can be as late as June around here.I can also use the green house to keep some plants alive over the winter.

Princess Leia of Maine's DOTD, inspired by Fearless:

BAILEYS® ESPRESSO MARTINI

Ingredients

2 oz Baileys® Espresso Crème Liqueur

0.25 oz Smirnoff®No. 21 Vodka

.25 oz Espresso

DIRECTIONS

1. 1 Shake over ice.
    2. 2 Strain into a martini glass.
  • goldie0827
    edited April 2016

Fearless, the trips are planned well in advance. 7 of the goilsjust got back from a Disney Cruise. I like to share pictures and don't have a problem with them being able to be seen by the public. Some gals here won't post pics of themselves, due to work or other reasons. There is a little icon above the reply box where you type. 8th one over, box with trees in it maybe. Click on that and it lets you choose pictures from your computer. Most pictures from the internet, except Facebook, usually work with just a copy and paste.

Jazzy, my mom worked but didn't do much cleaning. Either us kids did it or she had a house cleaner. If you want to call her that. Never scrubbed the toilets or washed the floor. Would mostly just pick stuff up and put away.

Hsant, so sorry about your dad. I totally understand! You say he lives with his brother, do you stay there or somewhere else? Glad you got to the wine tasting. Queen Marilynn has diamonds in her ears, they're just not real! They are CZ and she is just as happy with them. You wouldn't believe the purses, sun glasses and shoes shehas. And won't get rid of any of them. Never even uses/wears them. Smoked stained, they stink, etc. I too garden, and can!

NM, glad you had Sadie to keep you warm. Certainly strange weather going around. I know my brother told me I left just in time. We are 30's in the morning, but warming up to 70's during the day.

Well, mom is back in the hospital, just 9 days after the last episode. So she calls me to tell me she is going, but I can barely hear or understand her. My son told me that she told the paramedics that she thought she was having a brain aneurism! Had a headache and was dizzy. Anyways, she calls me later. I tell her, they are gonna start charging you for these 911 calls. She says "oh well". And I say, "oh yeah, we just throw bills in the garbage". Her response "yep, can't get blood out of a turnip". She's driving me phucking nuts!

Did a little more planting yesterday. Tomatoes, peppers and some cabbage. Waiting for the hummingbirds to arrive.

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2016

Good morning friends- time to go back to work again. I could use another day at home (maybe to just sleep), how about any of you?

NM- I don't know how you could have NOT said anything about that situation of the older man being in his own excrement. So many health issues around that alone for both himself and the other residents. I think you had to say something, even if they reprimanded you. I would have done the same. I join you on that soap box friend. Some things in the group living situations are not good.

I hear it is snowing back east. We had snow here last week, winter won't let go. For those of you in the snow zone, be safe and stay warm.

• goldie0827
    edited April 2016

Gonna be a page hog. Most of you have already seen these pictures, so go ahead and scroll on by or take a look again!

My garden in past years.

• goldie0827
    edited April 2016

• jazzygirl
    edited April 2016

Goldie- great photos. What is the building in the back that looks like an old western town? Do you own a B&B or some kind of other get away property?