Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

how about drinking?

Comments

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited August 2016

Mema, what's “killa?" As to “dry" wine, it's simply wine that isn't sweet. I'm Jewish, and until my generation, the only alcohol adults drank was the occasional celebratory schnapps, Scotch (always blended), Rock & Rye (with a chunk of rock candy in the bottle), Cherry Heering or Kijafa, or sweet fortified Kosher ritual (kiddush or Passover) wine--usually Concord grape (Manischewitz, Mogen David, etc.). Or perhaps (if really sophisticated) Asti Spumante or Taylor brand NYS “champagne," always made from native grapes, always sweet. (Almost never saw beer in a 1950s-60s Jewish home). Older folks were very, very resistant to any wine that wasn't sweet. When my temple began catering Seders in the 1980s, and provided Passover wine, there was always a bottle of the sweet stuff, grape juice for the kids or teetotalers, and a bottle of dry Israeli “mevushal" (flash-pasteurized so that it stays Kosher even if someone other than an observant Jewish male serves it) rosé or white. Invariably, one elder at the table would taste the white or rosé, grimace and say “Phooey--this wine is spoiled--it's SOUR!" because they'd never before encountered wine that wasn't strong, purple and sweet. My mom liked her little nightcap all her adult life--starting with a shot of blackberry brandy or liqueur, progressing to Manischewitz “Cream White Concord," and finally--by her 70s--discovering dry but not bone-dry Pinot Grigio. Regardless of what that nightcap was, it was always one ounce, in a shot glass...until she moved into a condo that came with a set of wineglasses. Nevertheless, though she switched to drinking that Pinot Grigio out of a small wineglass, it was still just a shot's worth.

• heidi s
    heidi s Member Posts: 398
    edited August 2016

Hey all! Went out for dinner with my dad and uncle tonight. Just didn't feel like cooking. I had a tomato and buratta salad (so did my dad), which was dressed in a basil infused olive oil and balsamic vinegar reduction. I passed on the reduction,because typically it's made with extra sugar. Entree was a double bone in pork chop and roasted mushrooms. My dad had coho salmon and roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Boozies were some kind of IPA beer for my dad, and a Grey Goose martini, extra dry, straight up with blue cheese stuffed olives for me. And when I say "a", I mean two. I rarely drink hard alcohol. Pretty much stick to wine, but I love a good vodka martini.

Mema, flasks are awesome! I've seen the ones that look like suntan lotion bottles on TV. Perfect for the beach! The hubs and I take a large prune juice bottle and fill it with red wine when we go to the beach, or a white grape juice bottle if we're drinking white.
    I'm glad you're feeling better. Bummer about the shoes! I've done that in the past, so frustrating.

Native, I'm glad you didn't have to haul yourself out in the middle of the night, but I'm sorry you didn't sleep well. Oy. Car problems! That sucks! I hope it's an easy job that doesn't cost you too much $$.
    Nice that A. You can take a decent lunch break, and B. You can spend it outdoors.

Mmm to the blood sucker cocktail! I love Cointreau.

Cami, I'm so sorry about your brother. His fiancée (wife?) sounds like she got a good deal out of him. I don't understand her thought process with respect to his ashes, but it sounds self serving. I'm a big believer in Karma, so her behavior is between herself and the universe.

Joey sounds like he wants a future in film, directing and writing. I bet he's very talented. Just a hunch. He's obviously a very special and smart young man.

I'm sorry about your foot! It sounds very painful. I hope it heals fast!

Chi, I am intrigued by the Kentucky Pinot. I've never seen any bottle of wine that's been produced in Kentucky.
    Wines made locally in my area are pretty disgusting. They're all very sweet, and taste like Manischewitz. When my husband and I were visiting my dad about 5 years ago we went wine tasting at the local vineyards/tasting rooms. Ugh! Apparently, northeast Ohio is "known" (uh huh, sure it isn't) for ice wines. Yech! I like ice wines from Germany or Canada, and the ones made here are just plain gross.

Jazzy, glad you enjoyed the concert!

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969
    edited August 2016

Hi ladies- well i had a good day at work, when do you ever hear me say that? Lol. My client and I had to do an executive presentation today to the senior leadership team about our project (and ask for more money including me as my current contract expires 9/30. Anyways, we were changing things right until the last minute and always a bit stressful talking to this group although they are very reasonable folks (I honestly just have a lot more problems with some of the lower level management and other minons that hassle me all the time). Anyways, the funding for my work was approved through year end and the senior legal counsel (Sandy will like this part) told us we were doing excellent work and also putting together great presentations for them to help them know the issues, progress, where we need their help, etc. Wow, that felt great! The others in the playpen can bite me.

I also was approached about a really interesting collaboration opportunity yesterday related to this work and developing out the idea with several others later on this month. The start up also wants a meeting with me Friday and waiting to confirm. I am feeling like a golden girl at the moment which is rare, but enjoying it!

I celebrated tonight by stopping at my fav italian restaurant where I had a delicious petite syrah by Maggio (yum) and a golden beet salad and some shrimp and goat cheese spaggattini disk. OH YUM. I would have topped it off with a cannoli if I ate sugar, but I don't.

Cami- we are spoiled here in NM with incredible views, etc. Michael McDonald who did the second part of the concert last night talked about what a beautiful part of the country we live in and how lucky we are. Well, NM has it's challenges but no one every complains about the big skies, beautiful balloons, spectacular landscape, etc. And oh we get great music here too.

Mema- how often do you work out at the gym? What types of things do you do there?

ChiSandy- the COO was telling me today in our meeting that he and his wife went to Florence and Tuscany in July and were blown away with how amazing that area is. I said "oh one of my fav places and did you not want to leave or just move their permanently?" He told me funny I should ask and they were saying how he would love to go back and stay there for six months, looked into what it would take to get extended visas. I totally get it.

My fantasy when I win the Powerball is to buy a villa in Tuscany and live there forever. Any of you want to come with me? I remember the owner of our villa the owner would go down the road and fill up jugs of wine as they were pressing the grapes. We had wine with every lunch and dinner. Boy can that become a habit quickly!

• chisandy
    edited August 2016

There are OH wineries and then there are OH wineries--can’t name a good one off the top of my head but they’re out there. The keys to a good ice wine are the grape varietal (hint: a vinifera like riesling, gewurztraminer or Muller-Thurgau, not a native or hybrid grape), very late harvest at cold temperatures so that the first frost freezes the grape and concentrates the sugar, and a good winemaker with aseptic practices (sloppy hygiene can be the difference between yum and yuck). Some of the best ice wines come from the Niagara and Finger Lakes regions of upstate NY, as well as ON and MI’s Leelanau Peninsula. But there’s a line, from Bonny Doon, that is wonderful.......from just outside Santa Cruz, CA. Its winemaker (an eccentric iconoclast named Randall Grahm--the stories I could tell about his other label names alone would take up a whole thread) figured that since the weather in coastal CA never gets cold enough but he wanted to make an ice wine, he’d give nature a hand.......by freezing the grapes himself. He calls his line (orange muscat, gewurz, even zin) “Vin de Glaciere:” literally, “wine from the icebox.” They are among the best sweet wines in N. America.

Bob & I used to belong to the wine club at Berrien County, MI’s Madron Lake Hills Estate winery in Buchanan. MLH was unique in southern MI as being the only winery (not St. Julian, not Tabor Hill) as growing and vinifying only classic vinifera varietals: chardonnay, pinot noir, pinot gris, gewurztraminer (wino trivia: the grapes are actually pink), riesling, cabernet sauvignon, gamay noir--anything that didn’t require intense sun to grow. “Members” got to “adopt” and sponsor a vine of the varietal of their choice (Bob chose a Cab and I a riesling), which entitled them to a free bottle made from that season’s yield of that varietal. We also got to help with the picking & crush every Oct., culminating in a BBQ, kegger (local MI craft brews, natch) and dance with a Grateful Dead tribute band. In their last years, they bought chardonnay from vineyards not just in CA but also along Lake Erie. Sadly, three killing frosts, the sudden death of their wine director, and an infestation of phylloxera (to which American rootstock was supposed to have been immune) put them out of business--the property is now a townhouse and McMansion development, no doubt some of those homes vacation getaways for rich Chicagoans.

One year I played a guitar festival sponsored by a winery in Humboldt, TN (near Jackson, halfway between Memphis & Nashville). Besides being paid and comped my room, I was also treated to a wine tasting with matching tapas. Most of its wines made from estate-grown grapes were hybrids and were, uh, interesting. But their estate-grown Sangiovese (the grape of Chianti) was quite good. (Sangiovese seems to be quite forgiving outside its native Tuscany: I’ve had delicious ones from TN, TX, WA and Long Island). We have a chain of restaurants in the Chicago suburbs called Cooper’s Hawk Winery. Each restaurant actually makes wines in its basement, as well as in a central Chicagoland winery. About 50-50 vinifera and hybrids, plus a smattering of sweet fruit wines. Its vinifera grapes are purchased from CA, WA or OR; its hybrids grown in the Midwest. There’s a longtime well-respected winery, Lynfred, in the suburb of Roselle (w. of O’Hare), that’s been making decent wines from locally-grown hybrid grapes for decades, And in the past 10 years, the City Winery chain of winery/wine bar/restaurants/nightclubs has sprung up in NYC, Chicago, Nashville (and soon, the DC suburbs). Each branch has a basement winery on-premises and makes at least a wine or two from purchased vinifera varietals; it also has a carefully-curated by-the-glass-or-carafe list of American-made wines from boutique wineries all over the country, with tapas, flatbread pizzas, cheese and charcuterie plates to match--served in the concert space; a full-service restaurant outside the concert space; wine shop; and weekly tasting and wine education programs. We’ve seen Joan Osborne, Nanci Griffith, and Tom Paxton there; and one year even celebrated a “City Seder” with musical and comedy entertainment. Sadly, their weekly klezmer brunch is no more.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903
    edited August 2016

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Friday Eve!The humidity is building back inhere, not so happy about that, but what is, is, right?Got the Jeep back yesterday, $750 for brake work, new battery, tire rotation, some other things that I pretended to understand.Could have been worse.But so nice having my Jeep back!Do NOT like little cars!But I am grateful for the use of the rental, don't get me wrong.

Cammy--last few days have been much less stressful, and I do feel more relaxed than last week.Last week was one for the book I'm going to write someday.Your poor toes and foot! Try elevating your foot above heart level as much as you can, and soaking it in warm water with Epson salts once or twice a day.Old fashioned, but feels good and sometimes even helps!Hope it doesn't hurt much.

Mema--It's amazing how much difference a lunch break can have in a day!I'm not sure what some of the stuff in the DOTD is either, but it looks cool and fun!

Chi--LOL at the "SOUR" wine comment!I have to admit that I like sweet wines better than dry most of the time, but there have been some dry wines that I have really enjoyed, too.Blackberry brandy sounds good, too!

Hsant--The car fix was not as expensive as I was thinking it would be, so I'm happy.I never sleep really well when I'm on call, I'm too afraid of missing a phone call.But I've made up for it now.What is ice wine?

Jazzy--GOOD WORK WITH THE PRESENTATION!! That is high praise from senior management.And a future project shaping up, good for you!I'll go with you to Tuscany.I would love to visit Italy.

Chi--so sad about the demise of the winery/wine club.And now I see what an Ice wine is, too.Thanks!

Princess Leia of Maine's DOTD:

4 cherries ¼ oz. simple syrup 1½ oz. merlot 1 oz. bourbon 1 lemon slice To make simple syrup, mix equal parts hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Muddle cherries in a cocktail shaker. Add ice, simple syrup, wine, bourbon, and lemon slice. Shake and strain into a glass. Source: Elixir

San Francisco Sangaree

4 cherries

¼ oz. simple syrup

1½ oz. merlot

1 oz. bourbon

1 lemon slice

To make simple syrup, mix equal parts hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Muddle cherries in a cocktail shaker. Add ice, simple syrup, wine, bourbon, and lemon slice. Shake and strain into a glass.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited August 2016

Boss Lady, I'm home! I don't have the need currently to have to rest. I feel so good, I can' t believe it. You didn't fall for the insurance scam, did you? I see where you wrote "too late tho".

Hsant, you had me cracking up over the fact that you don't spit, you swallow!!!

Mary, I'll arrive Sept 13 and leave the 24th. I think the D was a combination of the RSO and chemo. I think it's just taking this long for it to work its way out of my system. Oh wow, look at the resemblance of Nora and GGma. Whose side of the family?

LDB, I see you were not feeling well. I hope you are back to normal by now. Well, at least "your" normal.

NM, sorry about the jeep troubles. Seems like that vehicle is giving you a time of it. I hope they get it figured out.

Not replying to everyone, but I have read through. Had a nice time away. Leaving again in 2 weeks for Kanab UT, Old West Days. Mom was in the hospital about a week ago. I talk to her the other day, and she says she thinks she needs to go again. I said "you can't keep going to the hospital and then saying the next day you want to go home". Well she didn't, she told them that night she wanted to go. Called my brother at midnight telling him, but then says she doesn't want him getting up in the middle of the night to do that! As usual, UTI and her magnesium was low. Calls my son at 1 am to put the dog away, they have an ambulance bringing her home! There is not one thing they can do for her there.

I see where Julie has attended a wedding and it looked like it was in Wales.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2016

Goldie- good to see you back and hope your next trip goes well. Sorry to hear about your mom. I know older folks treat ERs and hospitals like the regular doctor, my mom did. Hard getting old.......

I would love Old West Days! Take pics!

NM- sounds like you are having a better week too! I have one more day on site today and lots to do, but getting out for lunch with a friend over there for his belated birthday. He took me for mine and been trying to connect to do this, but has not worked so far. We will see if it happens today!

Time to go make some more money. Wishing you all a lovely Thursday!

• chisandy
    edited August 2016

Coravin just brought out a new Model One, in plastic, that goes for $200, which is $150 less than the top-of the-line Model Two and $100 less than the original Model 8. Still expensive, but if it keeps $200 worth of wine tasting great without it either going bad or your having to drink way too much of it in a short time, IMHO it's worth it for serious oenophiles. (I'd never use it on, say, a $20 bottle).

• MemaSue56
    MemaSue56 Member Posts: 2,061
    edited August 2016

G'evening DahhhhhLinks

Had one heck of a busy day. Have not had a nap in 4 days. I lay down to rest but my mind keeps going. Have been getting good sleep at night tho, so that has helped. Thanks to my maryjane and a ½ shot of killa (tequila)…works wonders. I just sip the killa, I'm not one to drink anything in one gulp.

Lowee - so glad you are home, missed you. Sounds like you had a GR8 time. Leaving again in 2 weeks…???…well hope you can spend some time celebrating your B-day. Sad to hear about your mom, I kno u r almost at ur wits end, just try to relax, she is going to do what she wants anyway. Will say some prayers for her tho. Kanab and the Old West Days sounds fun. I wish DH had Sat's off so we cud mayb go too.

NM - That Sangaree sounds pretty good. If you write that book, I hope I'm around to read it. Your work and the way you handle the chit amazes me…I'm not sure I could do it….so thank you for being there for those that need you.

Jazz - KUDOs for the presentation and all that followed. I be tooting my own horn cuz it's GR8. Am working out at least 3 days a week. Really concentrating on my triceps and thighs…hate the saggy skin. I do notice a slight improvement and I am strong enuf kno to get myself out of the bathtub…woohoo. My dd and her dh love love love Tuscany too, she too would love to spend at least 6 mos there. Hope she can when she retires in about 3 years.

Sandy - WOW, very interesting about the wines. Is Mr Grahm still making his 'icebox' wine? Oh my, never heard of that wine keeper, will have to google it.

Well, I finished my killa, now must get ready for bed. I have a 9am appt with my PC tomorrow followed by my workout. DH had to work til 7 tonite, I took him his dinner. He will b working swing shift tomorrow, don't kno about his hours for Sat yet. Off to da bed….LUBSLUBSLUBSLUBSLUBS to ALL!!

• chisandy
    edited August 2016

Grahm is indeed making his ice wines, and a full range of reds, whites, and roses under his Bonny Doon label. He was the original “Rhone Ranger," among the first American vintners to encourage local central CA cultivation and make wines out of Rhone varietals like Syrah (the true Syrah, aka Shiraz when grown down under, of the Northern Rhone valley, especially Hermitage and Cote Rotie--purportedly first grown in Persia, and no relation to the CA varietal Petite Sirah), Viognier, Grenache, Cinsault, Carignane, Roussanne, Marsanne, etc. He was a pioneer in advocating the use of screw caps for premium, not just everyday, wines and for biodynamic wine growing and winemaking. He is well-known for outrageous puns on his wine labels. Some examples:

A few years back, after the Loma Prieta quake, he bottled several dozen cases of wines still in barrels that had toppled off their racks, labeled them “Cuvee Tremblement de Terre," and donated the proceeds to earthquake relief charities. He bottled a red table wine called “Clos de Gilroy" (“Clos" being a French term for a fenced-in wine estate that grows its own grapes, and Gilroy being a nearby town in the inland part of n. central CA renowned for growing most of the nation's garlic). The label bore a tintype portrait of a guy with full sideburns that met a huge mustache, and bore the motto “Le Roi des Gils, les Gils des Rois" (“The King of Sideburns, the Sideburns of Kings"). There's a famous Rhone estate that bottles a wine called “Vieux Telegraphe;" he decided to make a similar wine using the same varietals, but CA-grown, and labeled it “Old Telegrahm." He makes a very good (and inexpensive) slightly dry Riesling-based white wine designed specifically to pair with Latino and Asian dishes, and calls it “Pacific Rim White."

But his most famous (and outrageous) achievement is this one: back at the height of the space race after Sputnik, reports of UFO sightings popped up worldwide, but especially in the southern Rhone commune of Chateauneuf-du-Pape (named after the Avignon residence of the Popes-in-Exile, the only French DOC wine allowed to have up to 13 different varietals blended into it. Most Chateauneuf is red, but there are a very few whites). In the late 1950s, the vignerons of Chateauneuf-du-Pape banded together and passed an ordinance forbidding UFOs from landing in their vineyards. (They probably had been enjoying more than a little of their product at that meeting). In English, the slang term for UFO is “flying saucer;" in French, it's “cigare volant," or “flying cigar." (The French perhaps have a more, uh, phallic view of the shape of UFOs). So in 1986, he released the first true Rhone Ranger wine, his salute to Chateauneuf-du-Pape, and named it (what else) “Le Cigare Volant." He makes a rose version called “Vin Gris de Cigare." (“vin gris" being French slang for a rose wine--another vintner, probably an admirer of Grahm, makes a Pinot Noir rose called “Vincent Vin Gris," with a picture of the artist on the label). He has won a ridiculous number of awards, has an asteroid (4934 Rhonereanger) named in his honor, and has a blog named after an anthology of his writings, Been Doon So Long.

I opened a bottle of his 1986 Syrah (a rare bottling with no puns).....in 2011. It was insanely wonderful. Wish it hadn't been rationed, one to a customer.

• nativemainer
    edited August 2016

Good Morning, Loungettes!Would you believe I got a flat tire yesterday?On top of everything I've had done to the Jeep already this week?Now I've got to get an early start and get a new tire on the way to work.Ah, well, such is life, right?

Goldie--glad you had a good time, and even more so that you are feeling good!Your poor Mom, I feel sorry for her.She seems like she wants more attention, or something, who knows.No good answers there, either.The Jeep should be happy soon, it's getting lots of attention this week.I have been ignoring it lately!

Jazzy--Hope you and your friend managed to get together for lunch!It's been a much better week, for which I am happy.Still glad it's Friday, though!

Chi--quite the gizmo, that Coravin!

Mema--I'll let you know when I get the book written--probably won't be for a long time, though!Your bedtime routine sounds really effective, good for you!

Chi--Oh my goodness, what fun to read about Grahm and the punny wine labels!

Smurf Piss Cocktail

1 oz light rum(Bacardi is a good choice)

1/2 oz blueberry schnapps

1/2 oz blue curacao

2 oz sweet and sour mix

1 oz lemon-lime soda

• In a glass with ice pour 1 oz. light rum, ½ oz. blueberry schnapps, and ½ oz. blue curacao.
    • Next add equal amounts of sweet and sour mix and lemon-lime soda.
    • Finally, after your cocktail is mixed it is ready to serve.
  • goldie0827
    edited August 2016

Jazzy, we are looking forward to the Old West Days. Not sure who remembers Daniel Boone and the Rifleman, but both child stars from those shows will be there.

LDB, I didn't know you were still having headaches. Is it from the brain mets? I can't nap for the same reason, mind just runs cray cray. Good luck at the onc today.

Sandy, aliens in the vineyards? Funny.

NM, I'm sorry about the flat, but I have to admit, I laughed to myself. You poor thing. No, there are no answers for my mom. She is now on the pity pot, because my brother let her have it and told her she wasn't being fare to everyone else. Which, I don't know where he gets off saying that, he hasn't done anything for her. In fact, I don't think he's even been over there since I was there in April. LOL on the Smurf Piss!

Off to town today and the movies. Seeing Bad Moms. I'm still feeling really good, I can't believe it. I stayed outside yesterday way longer than I usually do, even stayed up a few hours later than usual and was up at 3 am. I can't believe this, I feel like my old self. I just hope I'm not digging myself an earlier grave!

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited August 2016

Good Morning Ldies,

I was here at least 3 times yesterday only to have the effin phone ring. It's still so hot and humid here and A/C's are falling apart-awfu summer, no real outside time.

Lori I'm glad u'r home and feeling OK. Like everyone said u'r mom is wht she is and nothing is going to change, so just know u do everything u can, and it's sti going to be what it is. How is u'r son doing with all of this?

Jeez NM a flat tire? Well u knew something had to happen this week, at least it was very fixable. And still TGIF.And I hope u have a great weekend to top it off.

SusyQ if u have a realy good nite's sleep they say it's so good for u and gives u the proper energy for the day, so u must have found the secret, now start sharing it---but being busy all day is a good start and u always are.

Sandy I LOLed at thr reasoning of "NO UFO'S LANDING HERE" and see that sign must have worked. Never thought of such a simple solution. And that's how much wines mean.

Jazzy u have to be so happy with u'r self, I know there are somtimes hard cirxumstances u hace to deal with--but all in all u really have done this on u'r own--What an accomplishment and u always find relax time--Good balance.

Hsant u have to be having some of the same weather we're having, isn't it hard for u'r dad to go out in it? or maybe it's not as bad there. It's nice to hear when u and u'r dad, now u't uncle go out, cuz u must normally cook, u never complain.

Joey woke up with a bloody nose this morning, 2nd one he had so fr. But I always remember when I was young a lot of boys had bloody noses during those years, there nose must be growing aha! they re getting ready to be a man and are adjusting their nose to grow.

OK my toes are now all black and blu (I thought it was dirt?) and hurt so much to wash them, I really can't take a shower now with 2 limbs that I can't count on. But I'm glad I have them anyway.

I was on the phone till 9ish last nite with work, I feel so bad for these people with their A/C's but the guys can only do so much, I'm sure all the places are being hit hard, this is a big populated area and working so many hrs in this weather is knocking even the young ones out. I know they work for the money, but I like that they really try to help the oder and babies first--they're really good guys, their language needs some working on, but then again I'm right there with them--so I can't blame them.

OK time to open up my work area here and hook up my phone--I don't move except for my arms.- I do try to walk around during the day but right now I can't walk very well. so sily.

I LUBS U ALL

• camillegal
    edited August 2016

Oh Lori the pewl felt great thank u for pushing me in there. And I'm so happy u'r feeling good, don't jinx it, enjoy it--it's a great feeling. And do whatever u want and feel like doing.I really like to hear that,

• heidi s
    edited August 2016

Good morning ladies. It's been super humid here the past couple of days, even more so than usual. Also had a big thunderstorm yesterday, and I thought for sure we would loose power, but fortunately that didn't happen. It hasn't been raining the the early morning, so I've been able to get out for my hike.

I picked up a bottle of sake yesterday, and plan on having a couple of glasses tonight with some take out sushi from the only Japanese restaurant in Cleveland where I'll eat their raw fish. . It's surprisingly authentic and the fish is always fresh.

Goldie, I'm so sorry about your mom. How is she feeling? UTI's are extremely unpleasant.

I have found that it's typically a female in a family with mixed gender children who tend to be the main caregiver for parents. Very rarely will I see a male step up to the plate, and he's usually an only child. My SIL lives around the block from Lucifer (my MIL) and has been the one taking care of both parents (until my FIL passed away). DH brother lives a couple of hours away, and does very little. His wife actually does more for MIL than my BIL. The hubs does nothing. Doesn't visit, rarely talks to her. Not that I can blame him.

Anyway, your son is awesome. It's a big responsibility, and it's really impressive how he takes care of your mom.

I'm so happy you're feeling well! Your upcoming trip to UT sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Bad Moms looks very funny from the preview.

Cami, ouch to your foot! I bet it's very busy right now for you. Having a working AC in this heat and humidity is crucial, especially for children and the elderly. We have central AC at my uncle's, but I had a window AC installed in my dad's room when he first moved in, because I know that problems arise, and his room can get really hot, since it's on the second floor.

I hope your foot heals soon!

Native, ice wine is made from grapes that are naturally frozen on the vine. It's considered to be a dessert wine, but I've had some with Mexican and other spicy food, and it paired really well.

Good to hear that your car repair didn't cost too much $. How often does that happen?? But I'm sorry about the flat. Geez! What a pain!

Memasue, I'm glad your sleeping well at night. I know for me that when I exercise In the morning I sleep much better at night, and I'm prone to insomnia. Ok, the two glasses of wine I consume helps a wee bit with this. I would think a little pot and tequila would give you a great night's sleep.

Jazzy, congrats on your hard work getting acknowledged!

I remember your neighbor and that whole situation. I'm glad your'renot getting sucked into her vortex. Knock on her door? Seriously? I've known people like that, who will take advantage of someone's kindness or generosity. My dad refers to these people as folks who view the world through unhealthy eyes.

I hope everyone has a happy Friday, and a fun and relaxing weekend!

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2016

Good morning ladies- I worked WAY too long yesterday and crashed last night. Today is mine for the most part, with a project call and status report and then will call it done. I have an apt later today to bring some things to consignment and just finished putting those together. More stuff out of the house! I plan to hit the gym too, too much work and not enough exercise this week.

NM- sorry to hear of the flat tire. I hope you and miss Sadie can get out for some water time this weekend. My friend and I did not get to lunch due to me getting out of a meeting late and him having a critical meeting he had to be on time for with the boss lady. So we rescheduled. It will happen eventually. Just CRAZY over there this week.....

Hsant-sorry to hear of the rough week. We lost power for a bit last week when a substation got hit by lightening and knocked out power here in parts of the city, but also around areas in the state. My power blipped, but others were without it for a good 4 hours. The infrastructure is all old here like it is everywhere else. I hope you can relax some this weekend and that dad is doing okay.

I just talked to my sister this morning about that very subject again about men not seeing it as their job to take care of either kids or elders. Sometimes even the spouses are not great. I came from a family of 2 girls and one boy, but our brother died at 40. Although he was the closest to our mother, we know he would have not been involved with either of our parents as they aged. Many of my friends who are dealing with it now lament about no support from their brothers with the parents. It is not an easy job being a woman with all we are expected to do.

Cami- oh dear, black and blue toes. And Joey's bloody nose! I hope you have AC, I heard it is hot and humid back east.

Goldie- I love anything old west, and used to watch the Rifleman and found it on MeTV recently. I was watching a Love Boat rerun and Chuck Connors was on one of the episodes. What is HE doing on a cruise, just so wrong to mix the genres. Anyways, it sounds like great fun and hope you have a super good time.

ChiSandy- I am pretty sure we have ufo's in our vineyards here. Area 54 and all that. Just sayin....

Gotta get on a project call. Have a good weekend friends!

• camillegal
    edited August 2016

imageHappy Birthday Nancy

• camillegal
    edited August 2016

Good early Morning Ladies--didn't sleep well. And I saw it was Nancy's BD and looked like crazy for a really fun cake and that's all I came up with--so Nancy I do hope u'r BD is great.

Hsant u know all about wines too--another one? WTF and yes we have central air--OMG it's still unbearable here and Joey starts school Thurs. I think and it's still going to be hot. I hope the school has air, I don't even like the kids ro be out in this. There are all kinds of kids around here and I hve hardly seen any outside most of the summer--they can't stand it.

Jazzy I think u'r right about taking care of parents I automatically did it, but I lived in a condo right upstairs, my brothers would come once a week and bring stuff tht they liked to eat or drink (wine) And did bring things that my mom still wouldn't spend the money for, so they bought the expensive stuff for them to eat. And my one SIL did cook meals for the week and my brother brought them too and my mom would just take it out to defrost--so it was really easy for me after work to just go there and warm things up and clean up. But my older brother was always my mom's favorite (altho she never admitted it) and I was my dad's which he would tel everybody. But none of us cared--my sister would come once a week when I worked late and then on Sat for lunch and I would come right after work about 1PM--we had it down pretty well for those few years--ramble, ramble

Ah sweet saturdays especially for some of u gals--I always liked St.s even when I worked on sat. It was such a freeing day, know the next day was all u'r too. Oh I just worked 1/2 a day tho. so It was fine, then off Monday too. I poured so hard last nite, no storms just lots of rain. I still work today but not so much maybe, but with this weather it's a toss up.

Leslie took a pick of my foot to show Jodie so they could gang up on me to go to a Drive thru hospital thing they have now. I forgot what they really call it. She's such a brat. Well we'll see.

OK I'm done boring the hell out of u all, so I should wake someone up and bore the hell out of the,

Oh Hsant--"Lucifer" to funny.

I LUBS U ALL

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited August 2016

Hi girls, I'm so far behind once again. I wanted to sleep in a bit the past couple of days when I had to work, I'm off today and I was wide awake at 5:45. Oh well so I have some time for the lounge. I have a bit of a cold, probably got it from my darling little petri dish. We have finally gotten some much needed rain but the grass is still so brown. We are going to a party tonight, it's about an hour east of us. This guy who owns a stainless steel company throws it every year, by invitation only, my DH sells stainless steel conveyor belts which is how we got invited. This is our second year, the shindig must cost him more than $100,000 each year. Top shelf wine, liquor, everyone gets a big lobster tail, filet mignon, and sides. The singer last year used to sing backup to the Rolling Stones. It's in a park on Lake Erie under a tent. Probably about 300 people or so. Of course it's supposed to storm, last year the weather was picture perfect. So my DH's principle that makes the conveyor belts and his partner and their wives are coming this year from Canada and he calls the guy having the party to see where we should all stay and he puts the 6 of us up in a 5 star hotel, on him and is sending a shuttle to get us! We are boarding the dogs, then in the morning we have to pick them up and head over to Kelleys Island for 3 nights. Going to be a nice mini vacay. Poor Moose will be home alone and stuck in the house, alone with poor Gloria. So I've got about 10 million things to get done this morning and then I've got the exhausting job of trying to get myself looking pretty so I can't address everybody. Don't know how much I'll be here this next week but hope you all have a good one.

Goldie, I'll be looking forward to getting together in September. Too bad your mom can't go into assisted living but I know how expensive that is. I am praying, praying, praying for low TM's next time. When do they get done again. So glad you are feeling better, how do your hands look? They are passing medical MJ in Ohio this month. Only for CA, epilepsy and a few other things, and not in smoking form but medical only. Enjoy Old Town, sounds like fun.

Cami, why are your toes blue, did you bump them?

Happy Birthday Nancy!

hsant, ugh, this humidity has been a killer for sure.

Sue, NM, Jazzy, Sandy, Dara and anyone I might have missed, have a great weekend!

I've got to get the dogs to the park and then come home and pack.... hugs and kisses!

Here's the pick of my dinner from the party last year, yum, can't wait!

And the view.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2016

Good morning friends- glad to be to the weekend, bet some of you who work are too. Busy day finishing up the week, and got some personal things done along with finishing up some work. My project team was a bit "surly" on the phone yesterday, but think it has to do more with everyone being back from vacations and the heat is on to deliver on this project and a number of fronts.

I got myself to the gym last night for a much needed work out and plan to hit aqua zumba this morning!

Cami- now one thing I will say is that men in Italian families are very devoted to their parents, especially men with their moms. Seen that time and time again. Do you work today friend?

Going to get to some early laundry here and on to my day. Aqua zumba this morning and last of the summer jazz concerts here tonight with a friend. There will be wine drinking and some shaking of one's booty too.

Have a good Saturday friends! Smile

• goldie0827
    edited August 2016

Boss Lady, you have me cracking up over the reason why Joey is having the bloody noses. You be careful walking if your foot hurts so bad. Don't want you to fall. I hope it's not broke. Perhaps a Tender to just carry you around?

Hsant, my mom is now on the pity pot. Only answering questions and saying she if fine. As for the UTI, I think she keeps one all the time. And like I said, not bathing! LOL, Lucifer=MIL.

Jazzy, in regards to taking care of our parents and the girls doing it. My one brother was saying how he is done, not doing this anymore. Thing is, he doesn't do anything! I don't think he has even been to visit my mom since I was there in April! Have you been to area 54?? We went to Roswell one year, found it to be a bit lame. But that's just my opinion. We were there when they were having some sort of special anniversary. Parade, costumes, etc. Well, we were trying to find out where this was being held and the locals had no idea what I was talking about!

Mary, I remember when you went on that shin dig last year. Moose and Gloria home alone, oh boy! Not sure if some of our new gals know about Gloria! I get labs again in a couple of weeks. Need to look on my calendar. OMG! That lobster,steak and veggies….Iwant it now!

Jazzy, I'm in awe at the life you live. You really make the most of your time, with work, home and entertainment.

Bad Moms was just ok in my opinion. I bit stupid funny.

Nancy…Happy Birthday!

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2016

Goldie- I am not sure anyone really knows where Area 54 is. Supposed to be one of those "classified" locations in that area that was secured by the military. Did you ever see the movie Independence Day? They did a spin on that in that movie. I have not seen the new Independence Day, still need to get to the theater this summer, but sort of like to do movies at home.

Thank you for your kind words about my life. I do try to live as fully as I can and don't want any regrets, although I guess we all have a few?

Your brother is done, and yet has done nothing? That sounds about right. It is too bad he won't visit her. I always tell people the time with your parents when they are older is finite. What is that buddha expression, people always think they have time.....touche.

Also, my mother had constant UTI's in the last few years of her life and that needs to be watched closely. About this time five years ago, her UTI went sepsis and I flew out to CA thinking that was the end. All I can say is seeing a person with a whole body infection and what that does is just horrible. Be sure they are keeping tabs closely on your mom's UTI situation. We expected that sepsis to take our mom out, and it didn't, but she told me in the hospital then she would be going soon. She knew her time was coming, and I heard that loud and clearly. My sister and I got into a big old fight in the elevator on the way down from that conversation. Anyways, I spent a lot of time visiting our mom the rest of that year, and she passed in her sleep that following March. I think spending time with an aging parent is something you will never regret (but not visiting them can haunt you for the rest of your life.....)

The friend I was going to the concert with had to opt out so I may go on my own or may just have some more space in my day to relax after a super busy week. Because I had a concert already this week and still filled up by that, I may chose to just enjoy the time found. I have a pass to the summer music series and will decide later today. Very focused on self care this weekend and going swimming in awhile.

But now, I need a nap!

• heidi s
    edited August 2016

Good afternoon! Well, managed to put both of my dad's tv remotes in the washing machine yesterday (oopsies). I'm a little flummoxed on how I did this, because while I've done this in the past (along with my phone), it's happened when Ive stripped the sheets. I didn't go anywhere near my dad's bed, only his hamper. Anyway, long story short, changed the batteries in both remotes and they work. Big phew!

Cami, I'm not knowledgeable at all when it comes to wine, unlike Sandy. Considering the many weekends the hubs and I have spent wine tasting in central and northern CA, I should be a lot more knowledgeable, at least with CA wines. The hubs is really into the science and how it's made (blah, blah blah), so any opportunity of a tour at a winery, we are on it. I typically spend that time looking at my watch and thinking to myself "how long before we get to the tasting room". However, I'm a big foodie, so I'm very much into food and wine pairing. I love going to go to wine dinners for that reason, but I'm not really paying attention to the label. I'm more interested in the varietal, or type of wine.

It rained last night, and it was so humid this morning you could see steam coming off the wet pavement. It wasn't that hot, only around 76 degrees. Now it's 92, but doesn't feel unbearably humid. I would be very surprised if Joey's school didn't have AC. I would think it would go against the building code not to have it.

That cake looks incredible!

Genny, wow! That sounds like quite the party! The food looks amazing! I have my fingers crossed that the weather behaves itself this evening. Although, even if it does rain, at least you will be under a tent. Are you staying at The Country Inn at Walden? Have fun at your party and on Kelley's island! I hope you post pics.

Jazzy, good for you on getting to the gym last night. You must've been tired from your work day. I have managed to go hiking five days this week, and plan on going tomorrow. Today was my dad's day off from the gym, so I went for a threading treatment. It's a middle eastern way of removing hair. You have an excellent balance of work, play and taking care of yourself. You inspire me to do things for myself. Thank you. It's so important

Goldie, does your mom's caregiver give her sponge baths? Like I mentioned in a previous post I rarely see sons of elderly parents get hands on with them. But your son is impressive with how he takes care of your mother.

Kind of disappointed to hear Bad Moms wasn't that great. I was planning on watching it when it comes to PPV.

Native, I hope you are enjoying a relaxing Saturday with Sadie.

Mema, I also hope you and DH are enjoying a nice weekend that involves "kills", vodka or (and?)your beverage of choice.

Not much else going on for the rest of the day. Just some chores around the house. I got out early and did all my errands. This evening I have a date with whatever movie is happening on the LMN, and a glass (ok 2) of Seven Deadly Zins Zinfandel.

Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!

• chisandy
    edited August 2016

Happy birthday, Nancy! Wish I could send that slicked-up beefcake Tongan Olympic flag-bearer your way. Jazzy, enjoy the music, wine, and booty-shakin’ (it’ll burn off the wine calories). Genny, what a wonderful spread! Was that singer last year Lisa Fisher (who was the star of the documentary “20 Feet From Stardom?”) or perhaps on the male side Blondie Chaplin? A good backup vocalist is usually a far better singer than her or his employer.

• MemaSue56
    edited August 2016

HAVE A GR8 DAY MS. NANCY

• MemaSue56
    edited August 2016

G'afta noon DahhhhhLinks

NANCY - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!

Well I got a widdle nap today and now listening to Motown on my Kindle. I just love all the old stuff, Al Green, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, Isley Brothers, Marvin Gaye….gosh I could go on and on.

Things went well at my PC yesterday. He had not been forwarded copies of my last 4 scans 2 months ago, so he read them and made copies for his files. I swear, when we finished our visit, he turned to me and let out a full breath, looked like he was getting a widdle teary eyed. So, put a huge grin on my face and said 'things looking pretty darn good, aren't they'. I think he was happier than me which makes me think he still feels guilty. I've forgiven him long time ago, who is to say that the mets weren't already there. OK, enuf of dat.

OK woo hoo woo hoo. Talked to my cuz Ginger today, been sending her emails she thinks she ans, anyway she and her DD are all booked and all set for the trip to Cancun over Thanksgiving. We have to change planes in PHX, Ginger was able to book the 2 of them on the same flight out of PHX, how cool is that…My dd and I are soooo freakin excited!!!!!!

NM - Geeeez, a flat tire after all that other trouble, ya heard the 'ol wives tale' that rotten things happen in 3's, I bad I kno. Heres a dwink that u put that 'tale' in da swamp.

Lowee - I do remember those old western series. I think I mentioned how much in love Ginger and I were with….crap now I can't remember his name, I think Johnny something, the son of da Rifleman, he played the guitar and sang on some episodes. Think I mentioned he put an LP or 2 out later on. I still love those shows. PC and I decided my head and ear-aches arre from sinuses. He gave me recipe for making my own saline solution. OMG - doing da happy dance cuz u feeling better and feeling like ur old self. Please, u not digging nothing but ur garden, ya hear!?!?

Cami - Dang foot…I do hope u get it checked out, You may need a boot. Sad for Joey and his bloody nose. Does suffer from allergies, sometimes it will cause bloody noses. If not, and it keeps happening, I'd get him checked out with his doctor. Give him big XOXOXOXO for me.

Hsant - someone was looking out for your section of town with the kaboomie weather. OMGosh I love sake. Back when I was an avid snow skier I'd take a few bottles, heated a little in the condo's nuker, then my dispatch bf's and I would take down to hot tub. We'd have such a blast. We got together for a 4-5 day trip to Brianhead, UT for 10 years in a row. I member one of bf's suggest the Black Diamond hill. So we all tried it….I ended up falling and splitting my snow jumper pants from crotch to waist. Only had pantyhose on….tooo funny trying to get down the mt. Ended up tying my jacket to cover it. 1st and last time I did those moguls. Yep, for sure a widdle alcamahol helps for good sleep, addition of a toke helps too.

Jazz- Hope not too much work for you this weekend. Glad you got in a workout. LOL bout aliens and area 51, I live really close to it. My MIL used to tell me how the family would take chairs and food up there and sit and watch the explosions. Who knew the dangers back then. YIKES!

Mary - 5:45...way too early for me, hope you can get a rest later. Geeez, hope the weather holds, that whole outing sounds like way too much fun, and what guy for putting out such fabulous fare, looks soooo gooooood and so does the view!!

If I had $100K, I'd send everyone on this thread a ticket to LV, all inclusive, my my wouldn't we have a blast. Ahhh for dreams, right?

• MemaSue56
    edited August 2016

Here is Johnny Crawford then and now. Gosh brings back so many childhood memories.

Have a good weekend all. LUBSLUBSLUBS

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2016

Hsant- you are not alone with the washing of remotes. I have these red slip covers in my living room, and take them off in the summer as it makes the room feel "hot". There has been more than once a remote has been washed with those slipcovers. LOL.

Glad you have been out hiking. I have to check out threading, I have heard of it but don't know what it is about!

I realized I am very pleased to have an open evening for myself tonight, and decided to not do the concert on my own with it being a sold out crowd and will be packed. Rather than music and crowds, some restoration time is really more in order, and with this change of plan, I can get up early and hit the farmers market first thing and a few other errands in that area. I just went outside and also see the skies darkening which mean rain is coming in this afternoon and possibly this evening. I am not up for any more outdoor concerts in the rain (already been through a couple this summer). I was very glad the concert this past Tuesday night was such perfect weather, just a few sprinkles. I told myself it is okay to not go and feel good about having more time in my day so I can have a longer visit to the pool in awhile.

Hoping everyone else is having a groovy saturday......

• camillegal
    edited August 2016

Good Morning Ladies

I'm glad most of u are getting out---the humidity is so high here u could put soap on u'r clothes, put them outside they's be soaken wet, wait for the rain, but they would never dry. So it's stil not a bigout type of weather.

Holy chit Mary, that's an event--wow what fun that sounds like. And the area looks fantastic. Good for u and u'r DH.

Hsant u could have fooled me with how much u know, u know more than u think, And hiking in this weather I give u so much credit, even in good weather I give u credit.

Jazzy u't swimming sounds so good to me, I love to be in the water, I can't swim, but I can move really well and yet this year I never went still but I think this weather is going to stick around for a while so maybe I can still make it. U have so many different interests and different friends for each interest, wonderful.

Lori u'r mom does have a lot of UTI's and I never knew that was a big thing, but it is and painful too so u'r son has to have his hands full and none of this is easy Does u'r mom sounds like she can't wait for u to come out or is she just OK with it. But she must be really excited when u come, I'm so glad u'r feeling good.

SusyQ that time with u'r Dr. sounds so sweet, it's nice to have a Dr. show emotion for u, u feel like they really are taking care of u. I am so behind with mine blah--next week I do see my card. and the following someone else.

My kids went to a kids BD party yesterday right after work for Leslie and they were home like 7PM, I was surprised but she was tired anyway and she said they were outside and it was just to hot. All these parties this yr. were panned outside and this stupid weather didn't help anyone.

I hope everyone has a Funday Sunday---Oh Sandy I didn't mean to not address u cuz u know how much I enjoy u.

I LUBS U ALL

• nativemainer
    edited August 2016

Well, I don't see my post from yesterday, so here it is again:

Good Morning, Loungettes! Sadie and I had a lovely sleep in this morning.The weather turned yesterday, cooler, raining, nice sleeping weather, Sadie even slept on the bed with me all night!Nothing like Sadie cuddles on a cool night.May even be cool enough today to get some real housework done.

Goldie--I remember both shows, the child stars must look a bit different now! To be honest, I laughed at the flat tire, too, even at the time it happened.The timing was just too funny, after all.I am so glad you are feeling more like your old self!Looking forward to a movie review

Cammy--I can imagine how busy you must be with that kind of weather.I don't mind heat so much but humidity really drains me.All I can say is Thank the Lord for AC in the car and the bedroom!If I can sleep I can deal.And the flat tire was just plain funny, really.Totally absurd.But easily fixed and less than $25 to fix.Your poor tootsies!I can imagine how sore they must be.Do be careful in the shower, or get a shower stool to use so you won't fall over.

Hsant--I'll have to look for some ice wine.Sounds like something fun to try.It does seem to be the females that do the caregiving in most families.The guys can do a really good job, though, when they try!

Jazzy--sorry the lunch date didn't work out, I'm sure it will soon, though.It is fun to watch old shows and see some the guest stars that are more well-known now.They all look so different!I remember by parents talking about the Love Boat, and if it was a show I should be allowed to watch, seeing it now it's practically "G" rated!Times do change!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, NANCY!!!!!!

Genny--Sounds like a great mini-vacay coming up!What a shindig to be invited to!I hope you have a fantastic time.