Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

how about drinking?

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,971
    edited August 2017

Dara- good to hear from you! Not familiar with those bugs, but they sound like they need to be managed! Hope you are doing okay with the new job. And yes, new laptops and their software not inexpensive!

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,004
    edited August 2017

Here is a pic of the hornet with its prey. The bees are huge...up to three inches long. It is wild watching them carry the cicadas into the nest.

Image result for cheers toast

chEErS!

Image result for cheers toast

• MemaSue56
    MemaSue56 Member Posts: 2,061
    edited August 2017

Hi DahhhhLinks

Cami - ohh it's sooo sooo wonderful to hear from you. Praying you'll be released soon - (((Cami)))

Dara - I'd have to call an exterminator...that jes creeps me out. Never heard of that week...maybe check on line at some of the nurseries in your area for some advice.

Well, I gotta tell ya some good news...DH is going to fly to Dallas and I'm going with him. We are going for the 70th surprise bday of his life long friend. It is being hosted by his employer Harrah's in Shreveport, LA. The hotel is paying for our rooms, flights, and a limo that will transport us to and from...sounds so exciting. We will fly out on Fri the 18th and back to LV on the 20th or 21st. Our cleaning lady will keep our pooches for the entire time. Makes me and dh very happy that we don't have to worry about our pooches.

I also got my Oticon hearing aids. 1 costs about $3K, 2 costs double...Yikes!!! Been wearing both and don't like all the noise. I hear everything...driving me nuts. Well today I took out the left one, as it's my R ear that is bad, and whoot whoot....I can live with just the one. My DD want to plan another trip like we took to Cancun, sans my hubs. This will be in Nov of 2018 to either Jamaca (man) or Dominica. I'm hoping I'll b OK to go.

Sorry to hear about all the nasty weather and flooding, hope all affected will be OK.

NM - Congrats on your decluttering. And again...can't tell u how much better you sound, I can hear it right thru the typed words....u b the Tasmanian Devil...j/k

Gotta run...Lowee, b safe in ur travels. DH n I are leaving in a few to drive to StGeorge for dinner at OliveGarden. Jes LOVE their salad and breadsticks. Will be back soonliest.

Lubslubslubs to all

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited August 2017

Dara, those hornets would scare the crap out of me—makes me want to get an Epi-Pen. What laptop did you get?

Sue, have a great time in Dallas! I’ve never been, but Bob was there a long time ago for a drug co. thing, and ate at one of Dean Fearing’s restaurants.

Off to CVS to pick up some ‘scripts and then to WF to restock the larder with whatever Peapod didn’t have. Gonna make salmon tonight, so it looks like some Bourgogne Rouge. (Gotta love that Coravin. Best gadget I’ve bought in decades).

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited August 2017

Mornin' ladies.

So nice to see Chevy, Ducky and Teka poop in. Thank u for u'r kind thoughts. I should b home soon.

70 laps,70 laps??? WOW Jazzy what an accomplishment again fantastic.

Chit Lori, u'r bruise looks horrible, but u look great. U do bruise easily tho, don't u???

Confusion ---ok is Dara working now full time, and Dara when does Cheryl get her operation??? My mind is so floopy--drugs--haha love em.

Sandy u sound pretty good and working hard.

NM what a change, it's like u'r a different person, but Sadie's the same, crackin' me up--BTW I do share her stories with people, it's so funny. And u really seem so calm and happy--u've done lots with u'r home. YAY Kim.

I know I'm issing so many and I'm sorry, I just want to go home, so my mind is all about that right now.

LUBS U ALL.

• camillegal
    edited August 2017

Grrr. the post above just submitted, I wrote it yesterday morning.

SusyQ what fun u'r trip sounds. That's only a couple of weeks away. Good for you.

Ok I think I got the jist of Dara working now==I missed the where and when part. So Congrats Dara, I hope u lubs it, cuz I know u'll be good at it.

Plans are I go home Friday. This will be odd for me now. I have to use a walker and a few new gadgets that I never had to use before. And do things a little differently than I used to and slower---yep slower--- I'm anxious but kinda nervous this just will be different. It's only cuz I don't have stairs or live alone that I can go home now, Oh well we'll see.

LUBS U ALL

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited August 2017

Good morning girls, Don't have a lot of time, DH in Michigan and I have to get the pooches out for their morning walk then to work. Taking MIL to oncologist at 3, she decided she wanted to get her opinion. Taking her to the one that did all my tx and then I fired her, she never even figured out who I was so she'll have no idea she ever met me I'm sure which is why I fired her. She is affiliated with where MIL got her biopsy so that's who they recommended. MIL is wavering on the "do nothing" approach so we'll see what happens. Wanted to get on here and catch up last night but I'm not sure what happened, don't know where the time goes.. Golf outing was fun, we won 2nd place! We got free golf for 4 and a sleeve of golf balls so not bad! My good friend Jeni had back surgery yesterday, she will be in hospital till tomorrow and in a back brace for 2 months, she had some collapsed discs, been in pain for awhile so I hope this does the trick. If you recall she is the same one that had the BC last year so I think it's time for her to catch a break.

Cami, yay, so good to see you back in the lounge! Hopefully going home will be a smooth transition and glad to hear you don't have stairs to contend with. I'll bet you're missing Joey hopefully you'll get some time with him before he goes back to school.

Lori, I hear you on AI's and weight loss, I've tried everything except giving up meese alcohol and can't loose anything. Trying to get it thru my head that the goal is just not to gain. I'm gonna be on this chit for 7 more years so I need to just except it. Looking forward to some facetime wif you again!

Chi, we saw Dunkirk last week, I thought it was hard to follow too, I had trouble understanding what they were saying with all the noise going on around them but it did keep my attention and I didn't fall asleep. Raw oysters, yum, I'm jealous.

OK, outta time hi to all my other girls out there, I'm gonna try real hard to finish tonight....

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,903
    edited August 2017

Good Morning, Loungettes! Happy Hump Day! The dumpster has been dumped and is ready to fill again. Got my Immunization Clinic work dates set through October. Starting to work on learning the travel medicine part this afternoon. Still need to finish the education modules on the CDC website. It's fun learning about something new and not life and death critical and work with healthy people. Makes for a nice balance with the Hospice work. And more time with Sadie makes the puppy happy.Still feeling tired by the end of the day, but getting more done during the day, so that's actually normal, right? Life is good!

DARA!!!!!What kind of laptop did you get? I've never heard of cicada killer wasps, but they sound absolutely horrid. I have heard of mug wort, sounds like it's really hard to get rid of. Good for you for being so productive with the yard work and the studying. WOW, look at the size of that bug! The little hornets I had to deal with were smaller than that one's wing!

Love the toast!!

Mema--What a wonderful thing Harrah's is doing for your DH's friend!That is going to be one big surprise for the Birthday Boy. Even better with someone familiar taking care of the pooches. I hope you ALL have a great time!

Chi--That Coravin really has been a good buy for you, you really get a lot of use out of it. It's really nice to find something that is such a good buy and worth its weight in gold.

Cammy--I'm glad Sadie is providing entertainment for you and your peeps! She loves attention, even long distance attention. And she does keep me balanced. HOORAY for having a release date!I know it will be hard to go slower, but there is nothing wrong with going slower, you know. I actually get more done in a day if I go slower and don't wear myself out right up front. Get yourself a nice walker with a basket and you will be able to truck stuff all over the house with ease. What other gadgets are you using, if I'm not being too nosey?

Dances with Hornets' DOTD:

For Dara:

Mugwort Tea

Mugwort tea is easy to make at home, and only requires dried, crushed mugwort and hot water, as well as sweeteners or other herbal additions, if desired. The leaves are the most common source of mugwort tea, although some people also prepare a mugwort root tea, or even combine both plant parts for an even more beneficial beverage. If you are growing your own mugwort, cut only the top 1/3 of the plant when harvesting the leaves, and then hang them upside down in bundles

Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 ounce of dried mugwort
    • 4 cups of water (filtered)
    • 1 teaspoon of honey or sugar, if desired

Step 1 – Bring the water to a boil and then add the dried mugwort.

Step 2 – Allow the mugwort to steep for 5-10 minutes.

Step 3 – Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for another 2-3 minutes.

Step 4 – Strain the tea mixture.

Step 5 – Add honey or sugar, if desired for sweetness, and enjoy!

Note: If you allow mugwort tea to steep for too long, it can become quite bitter.

For the Rest of Us:

Image result for wasp drink recipe

The Predatory Wasp:

You'll need:

• 1 oz vodka
    • 1 oz gin
    • 1/2 oz lime
    • 1 oz ginger syrup
    • 2-4 dashes bitters. I used Dram Black bitters, but Angostura would work nicely here (2-3 drops)
    • 3 dashes clouded memory
    • Sparkling wine, 2-3 oz

What to do:

Add vodka, gin, lime, ginger syrup, bitters (and those clouded memories) to a cocktail shaker filled with ice.

Seal tightly and shake vigorously for 30 seconds or so.

Strain into a cocktail glass (I used a fancy little coupe glass).

Top with sparkling wine and garnish with a nice, wide piece of lime zest.

Sip & enjoy, but be careful: This one can sting if you go to fast.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited August 2017

Jazzy, the person that gave me the injection was my DH. I thought maybe he went sort of sideways or not deep enough. Asked him how far the needle went in and he said almost the entire needle. So maybe it was too deep?

Gosh Wacko, remember you having a terrible time with the stink bugs, now it's wasps! But so good to see you. And you are back working, yes? Did Cheryl have her surgery? How is she doing and and that little darling of yours? Love the whiskey toast, cute.

LDB, DH is gonna fly? Isn't that the reason he hasn't gone on some of your trips? So glad he is going. But gosh, you aren't gonna be gone long. And glad you have someone to take the kids. We like Olive Garden too. I ALWAYS get the Chicken Alfredo. Glad the hearing aide is helping you.

Well now, my darling BossLady, what did they do for you? Are you feeling better? And what are these new "gadgets"? I know you will be glad to get home.

Mary, good luck to your friend with the back surgery. And woot woot for 2nd place! You switched from Arimidex to Tamoxafin, right? You'll have to let me know what days are NOT good for you for our facetime.

NM, interesting on the mugwort tea. But I doubt it will mix well with JD….LOL! I wonder if it has some benefits. Still hoping you can tell me why I have the bruise.

As for the bruise, no I do not bruise easily.

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

Good morning friends-busy start to the week and trying to get a bunch of stuff done before I leave for Cali this time next week. I had a really cool professional opp come up last Friday unexpectedly, and been working on some revised info on my quals to do the work. It may represent a change in how I work and the type of work I do, but feel ready for this. My info went in last night and now waiting to hear on an interview!

NM- congrats on getting the dumpster emptied! I am trying to work to finish my garage stuff by this weekend so that is done. Always an adventure going through things and finding more to throw out, donate, etc. You sound like you are in the flow with all you are doing. I love stories about Sadie too, is her box of kitchen utensils full again?

Cami- I am a maniac in the pool. I am hoping my weight will start dropping again, sort of stuck for a month now with my plateau but that happens. I plan to swim again tonight and then Friday morning too.

And congrats on the pending release from rehab. Some new tool to help you will be good. I know Leslie and Joey will be so glad to have you home friend. I am glad to hear you are on the mend.

Goldie- ooh maybe on the needle. I know the needles on my Trulicity shot go deeper and that is why depending on where they go on my stomach, they can sometimes bruise. Those shots are in a tube on a spring though (sometimes hurt too), but I try to pick spots that are fleshier (and have plenty on my abdomen) for less skin impact. I was reading on the Prolia thread that some women are doing those shots at home too. My hope is that this Prolia shot I did last week will be the last. I hope that bruise heals up well, I find lavendar oil heals bruises up quicker? I am glad you don't get SEs either. My achiness lasted a day and a half, and was gone by sun afternoon.

Are you still getting moisture? Been drier here the last day or so but more coming this weekend. Texas and FL getting dumped right now!

Mema- yay on the trip to Dallas. I used to live in that area decades ago and fun place to visit. Good food, shopping and more! Glad you have someone to take care of the dogs too, that will make leaving easier. I wish you the best time there!

Genny- I think doing a more thorough discussion of treatment options will be good for your MIL. I know for me, I had some choices along the way too, in terms of type of surgery, type of rads, chemo or not, AIs, etc. For me personally, I am highly analytical (even when most terrified) so I have to hear the pros and cons for each and write them down. The list with the longer benefits is always the winnner in most cases. I was really worried about long term SEs with a few things. And think someone also said that your MIL could try the AIs and if she has too many problems, they can change them or stop? Not a bad idea really. I hope the apt goes well.

Dara- cicadas are the big loosers in that story. EEEK! I hope you are enjoying your new job!

LLL, Celia, Hsant, Teka and everyone else, make it a good hump day!

• chisandy
    edited August 2017

Arnica has always helped heal my bruises. Was told to try to avoid lavender as it can have estrogenic effects. So I have to pick the buds out of my Herbes de Provence, and find Earl Grey teas flavored only with bergamot.

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,004
    edited August 2017

Hi girls,

I wrote a lenthly post and towards the end, woooooosh, FN gone. So hate that. So gonna just summarize my world, sorry to not address everyone.

NM, I've read that people schmoke the mug wort weed and that it gives very vivid and wild dreams. I do not think I'd try the tea, sounds gross to mese. I thought of selling the shit on ebay, there is actually a market for that. But i am seriously hoping to contain it so that I do not waste any more money or time. I've lost so many perrenials to this POS weed.

We are having some foul weather with major storms coming through, picked a bad day to grocery shop for the mega food order. I was soaked when I got home.

I bought an HP Pavilion laptop, middle of the line PC. It has touch screen but I am still figuring that out. It has 8 gig which is more than i am used to. It is super fast. I hope I do not ruin it with a spill, I've had to replace my laptops WAY too often.

I am still working on my licensing requirements which I do at my own pace so not technically working just yet. I leave next week for Raleigh for a work convention, Cheryl is coming along to keep me company at night. Her surgery date is Aug 24th, she will have some discs in her back scraped from what I understand anyway.

Cam, so very happy you will be sprung from the joint this week, so happy for you. I am sure you will adjust to being back home and I jest know that Joey will help care for you as you get acclimated to being outside the joint. Wish I could come and help you with your daily needs but will jest pray that you are able to move about in no time. Praying that pain is minimal, poor dear. Love ya lady ~ well I jest love all mese goils here I do.

Seeing Logan tomorrow, he and Jessica spent the weekend in Wildwood NJ with his GG (great grandmother) and his bubby (his grandfather/my ex). The weather was horrible for the first half. I have a great video of Logan walking the dog in a dog area by the ocean but cant figure out how to save it on the new laptop (hate change).

Love and miss you all and will try not to be a stranger.

For Cammy .....

Image result for no place like home

chEErS!

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited August 2017

Good morning girls, my german shepherd alarm woke me up bright and early so I have time to post whilst drinking my coffee, I'll start with catch up since I keep falling short in that area.

Sue, so nice to go on a trip and not have to worry about the pooches, never been to Dallas, sounds like fun and so nice that you'll be able to hear all that's going on! Hearing aids are so rediculously expensive aren't they? Can't figure out why they are not covered by Medicare, it's not like they are a luxury item.

NM, decluttering is the best isn't it? Sounds like you are doing a LOT of it, wow, one dumpster gone already and working on another, must be a great feeling. I can see that your job change was sure the right choice for you, you do sound so happy.

Jazzy, the new job opportunity sounds promising, hope it works out! Cali next week, is that fun or bizzness? You prolly told us but I must have missed it. I love having a facial, haven't had one in years, I always have to pick between that and a massage and the massage always wins.

Lori, I work Tue, Wed, Thur, any other day is fine. I'm still on Arimidex and doing just fine on it now as long as I take the Cymbalta, 3 years down, 7 to go.

Dara, you sound good, where is your new job? Still mortgages? So glad Cheryl has a surgery date, is she able to straighten up any better? Logan is getting so big, those grandbabies are so much fun aren't they?

Cami, oh yay, you got your discharge date!

Sandy, I hear ya on the orthotics, I can wear cuter shoes to go out to dinner or something but the rest of the time have to have them.

Ok, I've missed people but again running out of time. Took MIL to the MO yesterday and I was right she had no idea that she'd ever met me, even after I told her I was a survivor, but that's beside the point. She was very good with MIL and she liked her. So she is going on Arimidex, we already picked it up and she was going to start on it last night. She seems to have her mind right so hopefully she'll do fine on it. DH is doubtful. MO says if she lives 5 more years the BC would likely not cause a problem but if she lives 10 more years it likely would. So if she can manage the AI for 3-5 years she should be fine. I take her back in 6 weeks for follow up.

Nora's latest thing is the Disney movie Moana so her mom got her the outfit. So here's my MoaNora.

• goldie0827
    edited August 2017

Jazzy, no moisture here for a couple of days. Good luck on the new work opp.

Oh Wacko, you sure have ruined your share of puters. You need to make it a habit to leave your drink way way away! Glad you get to have some Logan time. Does he see any of the peeps on his paternal side?

Mary, it's crazy about hearing aides. Medicare will cover for the hearing test, but not for the aide!!! Same with glasses. I thought they only did the Arimidex for 5 years, due to the bone damage it causes. Nora is too darn cute and look at those blonde locks! Not familiar with the Disney movie though.

• nativemainer
    edited August 2017

Good Morning, Loungettes!Happy Thirsty Thursday! Boy the humidity has rolled back in here at 91% with a 64 degree dew point. Foggy as all get out this ayem. I'm thinking today will be a good day to work in the bedroom with the AC running since I'm working up a sweat just making coffee and typing! Even Sadie is moving pretty slowly this ayem. Another trip to the boat landing may be in store for the afternoon. My brain seems to be in slow motion today, too, not sure why. Slept great last night. Maybe it will wake up after cup of coffee #2, upon which I am currently sipping.

Goldie--The needle probably nicked a capillary when DH gave the shot. It happens from time to time with all shots. The nicked capillary will leak blood under the skin, and eventually it shows up as a bruise. Sometimes there is a knot or bunch at or near the injection site before the bruising shows up. It's more common with subcutaneous shots than with intramuscular ones, probably because the needle goes in at an angle and has more opportunity to hit one of those little blood vessels. Either that or your DH really pinched you when he did the deed! Prolia is given subcutaneously, so the needle doesn't go as deep as when we are putting the medicine into a muscle.

Image result for im vs sq injection

Or if you want to see ALL the available options:

Image result for im vs sq injection

We use longer needles for intramuscular injections (1 inch or longer) than for subcutaneous (1/2 to 3/4 inch).

Jazzy--CONGRATS on the new opp and jumping in! This sounds like a good change. I am getting into a routine with the decluttering, and getting some baby steps to new routines to keep clutter away. I haven't emptied the crate recently, should do that again soon and see what she has stashed in there. I am missing a few things from the kitchen again!

Dara--I don't think I'd try the mug wort tea, either, but thought it was funny to post. I have vivid enough dreams as it is, thank goodness they are mostly entertaining. I wonder how much money you could make selling it on eBay? Do you buy protection plans for your laptops, or do those not cover spills? All I can say about Cheryl's upcoming surgery is OUCH!!!!!

Genny--I can't say yet that decluttering is the BEST, but is sure is making life in the house BETTER! I've also still got a long way to go and am thrilled to be seeing any progress at all at this point. The work life change has been a life saver for me. I am convinced I would either have died in a car crash falling asleep behind the wheel or would die of an asthma attack if I hadn't made the change. Glad your MIL and the DO get along. Sounds like a good solid plan in place. MoaNora is aNORAble!

Disney's new movie, Moana is now in theaters! Kick it off with a Moana Rum & Pineapple Punch Cocktail and also a mocktail version.

Moana Rum & Pineapple Punch Cocktail

Ingredients:

• 0.5 Toasted Coconut Simple Syrup
    • 2.0 ounces Appleton Estate Reserve Jamaican Rum
    • 2.0 ounces Coconut Lime Sparkling Soda
    • 1.5 ounces Mango Juice
    • 1.5 ounces R.W. Knudsen Pineapple Coconut Juice
    • Ice
    • Garnish with pineapple and cherries

Directions:

1. In a cocktail shaker add toasted Jamaican rum, coconut simple syrup, coconut lime soda, mango and pineapple coconut juice, and ice.
    2. Stir mixture with a long-handled bartender's spoon.
    3. Strain into a serving glass.
    4. Garnish with pineapple and cherries.
    5. Serve.
  • jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

Good morning friends- the busy week continues! I have the new work stuff where I need it to be and hope to hear more on an interview next. But my focus now is getting ready to leave to see my family in CA. Things went south again this week with my sister's partner and the situation, so glad I planned to go help. My sister and I have always backed each other up during tough times and when things changed in June, I told myself I needed to go. But I also had all my follow up apts and know I need to keep those in place. Important to take care of those first. Today I need to get my house more organized and get to more packing.

Went to the farmers market again yesterday and got some tasty corn (I ate some for breakfast this morning, is that wrong?) and also got tomatoes, kale and some onions. I am going to make a corn, tomato, and onion salad today and throw in some marinated cukes from last week. Also have some peaches to use up from the last visit to the market the week before. All this forced me to also clean out the fridge of old food again. I need to do better there?

Oh and decluttering updates here. Been working through some of my garage still and took some rugs last week to be sold (will get a nice return on those if they sell) and some jewelry yesterday which she took most of. Trying to take a hard look at things I just don't want or need anymore for the house or myself. I do well at this place, they always sell everything I bring so a bit of cash back for other things soon!

NM- kind of a cool discussion there on shots and how they do them. I think the needle for my Trulicity shot is a bigger one but also imbedded within a device that has a spring release so I cannot really see? That is the one that sometimes bruises my stomach. I have learned through trial and error where NOT to do that shot on my stomach. The endocrin's advice was to switch it side to side each week. I have never had a bruise from the Prolia shot done at the cancer center. My hope is also that the one last week could be the last?

Sounds like you need a trip to the boat landing. You and Miss Sadie need a dip!

Goldie- yesterday was a hot one here and I rode in the convertible up to the consignment store and market and think I got overheated! Where is that rain we still need? The news says that it is coming back full force tomorrow and may be a soaker here on Friday. I hope you get some of that too.

Cami- tomorrow is release day! You are going home. No place like home!

Genny- anorable is just so cute and growing up so fast. She always looks like a little fashionista, a girl after my own heart. My mother used to tell me I knew early on what I would and would not wear, is Nora like that too. Her hair is so lovely and she is getting big. Such a joy in your life!

I am glad the apt went well for your MIL and that she is going to try the AIs. Did they talk to you about bone health at all? That is the part I would want to know, given the AIs can erode things there. My mother had osteoporosis in her later life and ended up with a broken hip and leg, so I know where that goes. I went in to AIs very slightly osteopenic, but it got much worse, despite the fact the MO thought I would be fine given my exercise routines. That is what started my Prolia shots. I hope they will keep tabs on that for her too?

Dara- I hope you do well quickly so you can pay off that laptop. Remember if you are working 1099, you can write those expenses off for your work. Keep all your receipts for your accountant!

My weekend plans are shifting, was supposed to go to the zoo music with friends tomorrow evening to see the group Pure Prairie League (memba them?) but everyone is bailing. But I heard the weather will be bad, so instead I am going to the last of the summer jazz outdoor concerts sat night as the season wraps up. Plan to do some swimming tonight and this weekend too.

Wishing everyone a good slide into the weekend. It is tax free weekend here this sat and sun, SHOPPING!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,705
    edited August 2017

Hi everyone, I've been trying to keep up here but haven't had anything to report, until now.

I got my drain out after 5 1/2 weeks. Happy dance!

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

LLL- wow, that is good news sister. A long time to have the drain in.

How will you celebrate? Besides disco dancing to the strobe? Love it!

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,705
    edited August 2017

Tonight I'm going to enjoy a glass of wine or two. This weekend I'm going to go shopping and figure out what size bra I wear now.

• camillegal
    edited August 2017

Heloo ladies,

Ill glad to hear u finally got the drains out. Way to long right???

What is this worms and drinks??? Is it my morphine or u gals??? Oops it's all of u. Wow NM u really are moving fast with the decluttering. Did u say u had help.???

Lori I thought u did bruise easily, but he must have hit something...They don't use my [port here and my whole body is bruised, but some of the colors are really pretty.

Mary Anorable looks precious and er hair has gotten so long.

Dara is Cheryl OK to travel??? Looks like u have a lot to do still for this job.

Jazzy u'll be leaving in just a few days now---good for business right??

Sandy u doing all right.

NM u can always ask me anything, u should know that. Wel some stuff is my walker, portapotty. long handle thing, the handle thing to pick up my legs to put them up. The wraps for my legs. some equipment for exercising to help to strengthen my legs and ams and a few other things, and I still can't type. And of course about 6 more new meds to add to my intake. Oh well. OK I can't type anymore as u can see LOL

LUBS U ALL

• chisandy
    edited August 2017

Congrats, Ilona! (Cue Saturday Night Fever soundtrack or Get On Your Feet cast album).

Mary, the local multiplex-plus-restaurant does Saturday morning Moana sing-along showings—kids 10 and under are free. (Wonder if Lin-Manuel Miranda is making more money off that than from Hamilton)?

Jazzy, PPL is on my ‘70s iTunes playlist (“Amie, whatcha gonna do?”).

Well, my DOTD is…H2O. Yup—no alcohol till 2 pm tomorrow, because I had propofol (“milk of amnesia,”or Michael Jackson Juice) for today’s EGD. Good news & bad news about that. First, the good news: EGD showed only a “medium-sized” hiatal hernia, but otherwise the esophagus, stomach & duodenum were perfectly normal. Now the bad news: same thing. That means they still have no idea what’s causing my anemia, so on Aug. 31 they go in the other end. GI doc said ordinarily I could wait the full 10 yrs (till 2021) for repeat colonoscopy, but given the suspected bleed and that I had my colonoscopy back in 2011, six years isn’t too short an interval. Ticked off that I could’ve had them both in one visit (like I did back in 2011), but they didn’t think it was necessary to put me through the hassle of a prep and the risks of a colonoscopy (higher risk of perforation than with an EGD) unless they were sure I’d need it.

Meanwhile, the GI doc says I can resume my heart aspirin and occasional NSAID use as tolerated but because of the hiatal hernia to keep taking Dexilant and not eating too close to bedtime; and to start taking iron. PCP says “300 mg. 1-3x/day as ferrous gluconate"—start with once a day to see how well it works. Thought I had some on hand—but it’s 27mg elemental iron (which is 240mg. ferrous gluconate), and it expired in 2014. Ooops. Will have to walk to the pharmacy to pick up a bottle (Bob’s working, Gordy’s at Lollapalooza), since no driving tonight (again, thanks to the propofol). And no major decisions, either. (So there goes buying that brand-new 15” MacBook Pro and diamond-studded leather Coach brand case for it, plus that top-of-the-line pair of Beats headphones).

Some more drink-related news: the Cook County sweetened-beverage tax went into effect this week. An extra penny per ounce for any beverages sweetened with anything—sugar, HFCS, Splenda, honey, etc. Packaged or at fast food drink dispensers. That includes bottled sweetened coffee drinks. But anything unsweetened (flavored or not), 100% fruit juice or milk, is exempt. And anything you add or have the server add sweetener or sugar to—like an iced latte at Starbucks or an envelope of Kool-Aid—is also exempt. Now, I love Dasani’s and LaCroix’s unsweetened flavored seltzers. But Walgreen’s has repeatedly been caught taxing flavored LaCroix seltzers (but not their house brand) and cashiers are refusing to credit back the tax. The Cook County Board President has had to take to Twitter to tell them to cut it out or be fined. Meanwhile, fast food franchisees are complaining that every box of soda syrup is costing them an extra $34, and because of free refills they’re losing money—or people are bringing their own beverages or going out-of-county for their Big Gulps. Why don’t they just put the dispensers back behind the counter and stop giving free refills? When I was a kid, nobody gave free refills for even coffee!

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

Song du jour. Enjoy!

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

ChiSandy- I am on the five year plan with the colonoscopy so having another one now seems warranted to me given they cannot find the reason for the cause of the anemia yet. I hope they can get to the bottom of this (no pun intended).

• chisandy
    edited August 2017

Bob was on the 3-yr plan until his last one perf’ed his mesentery. The 13” of lower bowel they removed was the part that had all the polyps and diverticuli. He’s understandably gun-shy, even though the GI surgeons at St. Francis (not the Advocate Christ Hospital group—his colleagues—who perfed his bowel, but rather part of the hospital near us whose house staff nearly killed him by mismanaging him into temporary heart failure) think he should still get them every 3 yrs until he’s 70. I would rather he go to the guy I see at Evanston Hospital—he was our PCP’s Chief Resident at U of I, and our PCP was Bob’s. But Bob likes St. Francis’ Catholic vibe (reminds him of Holy Cross in its heyday before most of the Sisters of St. Casimir passed on and Mt. Sinai took it over).

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

ChiSandy- well now after listening to this today, I may just go on my own tonight. I have seen PPL in concert back in the early 1980s and they were really good!

• goldie0827
    edited August 2017

NM, thanks for all that info and your expertise. I shall share the info with my DH. Oh gosh, can't wait to hear about what you pull out of Sadie's crate. All that humidity would drive me nuts. I think I prefer our triple digits of DRY heat!!

Jazzy, glad that your visit came at a good time for you and your sister. I think you told us what was going on, but I sure don't remember. Maybe you didn't??? It threatened to rain here yesterday, but only got a sprinkle. Rained all around us though. They even called from UPS to say the driver couldn't make it out cuz it was pouring. I said, not at my house it isn't. He was in the next town, half hour away!

Ilona, yeah for no more drains. Enjoy that wine!

Oh Cami, we are so glad to have you back. Ok on all the gadgets, DID IT HELP AT ALL BEING THERE??? Joey must be back in school?

Sandy, sorry you have to go back to get "the other end" done. I guess it's good they didn't find anything, but like you said, still leaves it unanswered. That sugar tax is crazy. But it's only if you add sugar? Not drinks, like pop, that already have it in there?

Heading to town today, going to the movies, seeing Kidnapped with Halle Berry.

• nativemainer
    edited August 2017

Good Morning, Loungettes! Well, I didn't get all the stuff done in the bedroom that I wanted to. Kept putting off turning on the AC (don't want to run up the electric bill). Did get about half done before the heat and humidity did me in. Sadie and I just flat out plopped under the fan in the living room and zoned all afternoon. One big thunderstorm side swiped us, but all we got was some nice loud thunder and a bit of a breeze for a bit. And then I fell asleep in the recliner in the living room and decided to stay there for the night cuz the bedroom was too stuffy. I did sleep but not all that well, so my message to myself is that I am going to turn on the AC in the bedroom and work in there today and sleep with the AC on tonight and be good to myself!(And Sadie, I think she likes the AC at night, too!) And I really need to finish cleaning up the bedroom cuz my fitness tracker fell off one night and I need to find it again!I'm pretty sure I walking more steps than a month ago, and really want to see the proof!

Jazzy--praying for you sister's partner and the situation, I'm sure you will be a huge help there. Ah, farmers' market corn, yum!We should be getting corn in the next week or so here. I'm still mad about my favorite, nearby farmer's marker no longer being open on Thursday afternoons. It was so convenient for me. Now I have to go a lot further and work the trips into other things and it's becoming a chore. Oh, well, I guess I will just have to adapt. I found a flaw in my decluttering process.I got some baskets labeled "Put Away", "Throw Away" and "Give Away" that I toss stuff into as I go through the bedroom. I had to empty the Throw and Give Away baskets, so took garbage bags in and started transferring stuff.The Give Away stuff went fine, I just grabbed handfuls of clothes and stuffed them into a bag. The Throw Away one was another issue!I found myself taking things out of the Throw Away basket and putting in the Put Away basket rather than the trash bag!Caught myself doing that and then sat myself down and had a talk with myself. I do not need to be going over things twice in the process, it's slow enough as it is!I work well with the "out of sight, out of mind" concept, so to keep from handling anything twice I put a trash bag in the Throw Away basket, and used clips to hold it in place.Now it will be fill it, tie it, toss it out the window, then toss in the dumpster. No more second guessing. The spring release injection devices are notorious for causing bruises, but they do make some injections a lot easier for people to do themselves. Keep up the swimming!

Illi--drain out happy dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cammy--I wish I had help decluttering, but right now I don't. I could ask and get some, but aren't at that place yet. I bet you are going to find the long handled thingy to be a WONDERFUL device! I actually went out and bought one for myself just cuz it makes it a lot easier to reach behind and around things, and that was before bc and all the associated limitations. Sounds like you've got a lot of new stuff going on and I hope it make home life a LOT easier.

Chi--dang, I was hoping you could get out of the colonoscopy thing. Just not fun. I've got a hiatal hernia, too, and it can be a real bitch when it wants to be, but can be managed pretty well, too. I wonder if adding these taxes to "bad" foods is really making any difference.Here in Maine there is a Snack Tax that taxes certain foods considered "unhealthy" to help decrease obesity. Been in place for years, and I don't see there's any real change yet! Good point about the free refills. If it costs too much to do that, don't do it! Now THAT would reduce the amount of soda people drink!

Jazzy--are those REAL?????

Chi--I'm amazed your hubby lets ANYONE do anything along those lines after all that mismanagement!

Goldie--I'm with you on the dry versus wet heat! I've already turned the AC on in the bedroom, so I will go in and work in there just so I'm not "wasting" electricity and that will help. I just saw a trailor for Kidnapped, looks intense!

KB--sounds like the best kind of friends you have coming!

Image result for thunder drink recipes

• jazzygirl
    edited August 2017

Good afternoon friends- been getting a few thing done here at home this morning after getting my 70 laps in this am. Feeling fit and strong today! I have some work to do in the garage and going to get to that shortly before the rain comes. Going to finish packing today for my trip and starting getting a CA mindset going.

Cami- I think you are going home today! Let us know how you are doing once you are settled in. You and Joey will have much to catch up on.

Lori- my sister's partner has a long term progressive genetic illness that has been going on for 20 years and has her mostly disabled at this point. The current issues, without going in to detail, relates to her mental health. May or may not be related to her primary dx, but being in a state of declining health with no hope of a cure takes a lot out of a person. I have been watching some personality changes for awhile, and brought them up to my sister but then things really shifted.

The issue at hand seems to be getting her medication to work effectively. They don't have a great support system where they live, and my sister told me today she needs me to get her away during my time there to have some fun. I told her I am the right person for that. I am also going to be there to talk through some decisions she is needing to think about as well as to exercise with her, get out for some fun, etc.

ChiSandy- I remember Bob ending up with the perforation from the last scoping. I hope your next test goes okay and not that I want them to find anything, but I DO want them to find out why you have the anemia. Doing the rule out tests and hope the get some answers soon. I hope you can see the provider and go to the facility of your choice on this?

NM- I think those are some "fun labels" that you an order off the internet to put on wine bottles. I saw a funny post on FB about it but it was more of a video thing and would not work here, but found that when I googled up the names. Pretty funny, eh?

Remember that decluttering is a process. And sometimes we have to figure out the best way to do it. I have boxes and crates for various consignment places, different donation places, etc. My goal is to be done with the garage soon. I think you are doing really well friend.

KB- how nice that you have company coming in. And people who bring wine too. I hope you have a nice time with your friends!

LLL- good luck with the bra shopping. I had to get a whole new set after my lumpectomy and internal rads. My docs told me no underwire for awhile. All depends on where your incision is and any other changes to the breast. I liked the softsided ones the best for awhile.

Hoping everyone had a good slide into the weekend. Hoping for some rain later today!

• chisandy
    edited August 2017

Lori, it’s just the opposite: if it has any kind of sweetener already in it, the tax applies. But if you have to reach for the sugar dispenser or Splenda packets (or sweeten it at home) yourself, nope.

Kim, Jazzy—Bob’s not due for a “rerun” of his colonoscopy (and there’s less colon to ‘scope) till next May, so he’ll have time to think about who will do it. We both have BCBS Plan F for our Medigap, so we can go anywhere that takes Medicare. I really like the NorthShore health system, especially Evanston Hospital; the only reason I use Presence Health (formerly "Resurrection Health Care," which IMHO was false advertising) is that our PCP is affiliated with one of their hospital’s (St. Joseph) and he’s great; they also run St. Francis in south Evanston, which was as far north as the CFD’s EMS was willing & able to take him when he needed an ambulance after his bowel perforation. He likes their surgical group, which did a great job on both his hemicolectomy (no ostomy) and then hernia repair. It was the house staff, not the surgical group, that insisted on overhydrating him into fluid overload (rather than release him with low potassium) during the first admission when they tried to “medically manage” him because they didn’t think his colon was fully perforated. One thing for sure—though they’re his colleagues down at Advocate Christ, he’s not gonna use the group whose GI ’scoper injured him (and did my first “twofer” back in 2011). He recently got an invitation for a drug company dinner at an upscale suburban steakhouse, preceded by a lecture on an OIC drug. The speaker? The doc who perforated his bowel. We both got a good laugh out of that. (Bob declined to sue, saying “I’m a cardiologist; there but for the grace of G-d go I,” but that doc isn’t on his office’s Christmas fruit-basket list any more either).

Last night was a doozy. We came home from my EGD to find my biggest tomato plant capsized, with a tomato having fallen off. We righted it and stuck a bag of soil on the surface as ballast. Bob came home last night and found it capsized again, so we put it back upright and braced it against an exterior wall, this time putting the bag on the outside to act as a bulwark. This morning, it was once again on its side—with another ‘mater knocked loose—so we put a brick in the pot too. So far, so good.

Not sure what I will drink tonight (if I feel like it—still feeling a little bloaty & refluxy from all the air they pumped in yesterday), but it’ll depend on what I cook. Fresh wild coho on sale, have some more snap peas, snow peas and baby bok choy in the fridge; rather than nukable brown rice, I might try buying some farro (my gym’s app suggests it instead of rice or pasta). Will probably have some more Burgundy if anything. Tomorrow is my block party's brunch and then a friend’s BBQ way down on the SW side. Domestic bubbly for both. (Actually requested by my friend).